May 27, 2004
reality
✟3,614.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
jameseb said:
Mustang, my friend..... Now surely you realize this would be like Bush going to the DNC looking for votes.
Touche! I agree with your analogy jameseb.

I guess that, to me, the coverage in the media about this, including many network and cable stations, and print media, kinda painted it like a negative thing, and thats not good for Bush.

Even if Bush did go and he wasnt well received, if he put out that good faith like that, (and done the good Christian thing), how could it have possibly been as negative or more negative than the attention he got from not going?

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Seriously, when is the last time a Republican was endorsed over a Democrat by the NAACP?
When was the last time a republican candidate had the problems of the disenfranchised truly in mind?

Oddly though I will say that I side against the NAACP on the stance of affirmative action, at least as it is used today. It causes more harm then good.

Upvote 0

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Has the media? Hehe, I haven't even been keeping up with local politics... I usual get that news in more than adequat doses here.

As for him not going, I can't answer for Bush, but only myself. If the NAACP wasnts to continously involve itself in the political arena, repeatedly endorsing Democrats while berrating Republicans, than I certainly wouldn't give them the time of day.

When people suggest that Bush isn't concerned with the minority simply because he doesn't attend a NAACP Democrat convention, then I think they're just engaging in simple 'politicking.' One doesn't have to address the Democratic NAACP to address minority issues.

P.S.

Thanks for the rep the other day! I'm still trying to get back to ya!

Upvote 0

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Vylo said:
When was the last time a republican candidate had the problems of the disenfranchised truly in mind?

So..... I ask again.... when was the last time the NAACP endorsed a Republican for president?

Upvote 0

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The president was right to turn down the NAACP.

Liberal bellies are aching these days over President George W. Bush's absence from this week's Philadelphia convention of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Citing scheduling conflicts, the White House recently sent the president's regrets. As journalists have explained in grave and slightly damning tones, Bush is the first president since Warren Harding not to address the NAACP. The insinuation is that Bush's no-show before America's oldest and largest civil-rights group reflects his neglect of, if not disdain for, black Americans.

No one should be surprised, however, to see Bush toss the NAACP's invitation into the trash. That's exactly where the Baltimore-based organization has relegated him since 2000. NAACP chairman Julian Bond and president Kweisi Mfume have played tag team in bashing Bush and the GOP.

"So, we've got...a president that's prepared to take us back to the days of Jim Crow segregation and dominance," Mfume told Washington journalist Hazel Trice Edney just last week. Mfume either is lying through his teeth or is clinically delusional if he believes Bush hopes to reintroduce segregated water fountains and "colored only" waiting rooms. Mfume should try the truth, or see a psychiatrist.

Bond's rhetoric is equally reckless.

Bush and the GOP "preach racial equality but practice racial division," Bond said June 23 in Indianapolis. "Their idea of equal rights is the American flag and Confederate swastika flying side by side."

Bond told the NAACP's July 2003 Miami Beach conference: "Republicans appeal to the dark underside of American culture, to that minority of Americans who reject democracy and equality."

President Bush "has selected nominees from the Taliban wing of American politics," Bond informed the NAACP's New Orleans confab on July 8, 2001, as the September 11 hijackers learned to fly. "He has appeased the wretched appetites of the extreme right wing. And he has chosen Cabinet officials whose devotion to the Confederacy is nearly canine in its uncritical affection."

No wonder Bush found a better use of his valuable time than to associate with these racial bomb throwers.

Far from dissing black Americans, Bush has met with them throughout his presidency. He attended the National Urban League's 2001 and 2003 conventions. He hosted a White House celebration of the 1964 Civil Rights Act's 40th anniversary. Urban League president Marc Morial was there, as was civil-rights veteran Dorothy Hite. He has spoken to black churchgoers about his faith-based initiative.

Mfume also whined that "the president has refused to meet with the Congressional Black Caucus."

There he goes again.

Bush, in fact, invited the all-Democratic CBC to the Cabinet Room on January 31, 2001. "They had a warm meeting," White House Assistant Press Secretary Anne Womack told me then. "It was scheduled for 30 minutes and actually lasted nearly an hour."

President Bush even has addressed...the NAACP. The day after Bond's "Taliban" outburst, Bush offered its 2001 convention a video greeting. "I believe that even when disagreements arise," Bush said, "we should treat each other with civility and with respect."

Bush appeared personally before the NAACP as a 2000 presidential contender. In thanks, it telecast an infamous ad that fall which virtually implicated Bush in the 1998 truck-dragging murder of James Byrd in Jasper, Texas. Never mind that two of this black man's three white killers were sentenced to death on Governor Bush's watch.

Yes, Bush should campaign before black Americans, but he should not bother to plead with black leftists who hate his guts. Instead, he should meet with moderate to conservative blacks who are open to and even supportive of his policies. The Congress of Racial Equality, the National Center for Neighborhood Enterprise, and Project 21 — as well as black business and religious groups — would treat Bush respectfully.

Julian Bond, Kweisi Mfume, and their NAACP cronies should stop screaming like infants and learn this simple lesson: Don't expect grown adults to treat hand grenades like engraved invitations.

— New York commentator Deroy Murdock is a columnist with the Scripps Howard News Service and a national-advisory-board member of Project 21, a Washington-based organization of black free-marketeers.

http://www.nationalreview.com/murdock/murdock200407130956.asp

'Nuff said.

Reactions: sad astronaut
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
jameseb said:
So..... I ask again.... when was the last time the NAACP endorsed a Republican for president?

Had they existed in 1864, I'm sure they would have endorsed Abraham Lincoln.

As far as the modern era... I would need to do some digging, but I bet Ike was endorsed by them. Especially after conservative democrats like Orvil Faubus (these days conservative republicans) advocated Segregation Forever!, while Ike sent in his beloved 101st Airborne to desegrigate Little Rock's schools.

Upvote 0

sad astronaut

Robot in Disguise
Jun 30, 2003
Visit site
✟749.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Republican
Preach it! Gary Sinise lookalike! (I hope you don't mind me calling you that.)

Upvote 0

Lillithspeak

The Umbrella
Aug 26, 2003
Vermont
✟9,786.00
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Oil convention? That's a profession not a racial group.

Upvote 0

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
datan said:
hm...
still no one wants to answer why bush decide to visit with them when he was a candidate but has since then refused to visit with them.

I wonder what changed?

Because hope of hope, Bush thought maybe there is a bridge. But you know what the saying is: Shame on you to do it to me once, shame on me if you do to me twice, right?

So, Bush is doing to the right thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
HumbleMan said:
no matter what your opinion of it is, he is saying he has no interest in hearing what a large part of American society has to say.

No actually he saying that he no interest in what the NAACP has to say. Which although there are points they disagree on I am sure there is some common ground.

The NAACP does not speak for all African Americans while I am sure the number is might be high I am also equally as sure that the thing regarding various issues applies there are points where individuals will disagree with NAACP policy and some common ground.

What I find that many whites do is if X African American or African American group says X well they must speak for all African Americans. Wrong. While African Americans are traditionally democrats we are as politically diverse across the democratic spectrum from left to right as Christians are in theological belief. There are some basic tenets but after that it is anybody's guess.

One tenet is though shall not do away with AA.

Personally I could care less if Dubya attended the conference or not because as far as I am concerned there are much bigger fish to fry him on then that. Also James and others are right why go where you are not supported looking for votes, that is like a drunk going to AA to get a drink.

Upvote 0

datan

Nov 16, 2002
Visit site
✟6,836.00
Faith
Protestant
jsn112 said:
Because hope of hope, Bush thought maybe there is a bridge. But you know what the saying is: Shame on you to do it to me once, shame on me if you do to me twice, right?

So, Bush is doing to the right thing.

a 'bridge'?

you start building bridges after you become president, not before.

that doesn't make sense to think about reconciliation before he becomes president?

are you sure you aren't saying he is doing the right thing because well you're going to support him either way?

Upvote 0

Michael0701

Harley Ridin' Believer!!
Nov 13, 2002
Tax Free Delaware!!
Visit site
✟8,417.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
datan said:
hm...
still no one wants to answer why bush decide to visit with them when he was a candidate but has since then refused to visit with them.

I wonder what changed?

I'll take a wild guess.......

he went the first time trying to get votes, no big deal. Why his team even thought that it would help is beyond me. He didn't get the votes. He gets a good kick in the teeth instead from the "leaders". He gets invited back and this time is "advised" not to go, and doesn't. Good thinking on their part.

Upvote 0

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
sad astronaut said:
Preach it! Gary Sinise lookalike! (I hope you don't mind me calling you that.)

LOL, you're the THIRD person to say that...what's up with that??

Nah, don't mind at all.... its better than being called "Lt. Dan" after all.

Upvote 0

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom

All I can say is, NAACP has a looong history against the Republican. Heck, it's longer than Saddam's.

To answer your question: Once, I supported and defended Bill Clinton. Bill Clinton!!! What was I thinking!!!! Those years I can't take back make me feel sick.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

And if anyone things Bush was wrong in declining the NAACP's invitation, I refer you back to the article I posted a couple pages back that, thus far, hasn't been challenged.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

So let me get this straight. The president needs NAACP endorsement before he will care about the disenfranchised?? That kind of morality is sickening.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Can yu site a source for that 90%?

Upvote 0

hyperborean

May 22, 2004
✟850.00
Faith
Atheist
jameseb said:
And if anyone things Bush was wrong in declining the NAACP's invitation, I refer you back to the article I posted a couple pages back that, thus far, hasn't been challenged.

Theres nothing to challenge, the writer is on the same level of thinking as Jerry Falwell. James, please tell us all that you agree with Murdock's statement: "No wonder Bush found a better use of his valuable time than to associate with these racial bomb throwers."

Please tell us James that members of the NAACP are radical bomb throwers.

"George W. Bush's absence from this week's Philadelphia convention of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Citing scheduling conflicts, the White House recently sent the president's regrets."

Well which is it, scheduling or "better use of his time?"

Bush as if almost on que, beleives in exclusion instead of inclusion. Which is consistent with born again Christians. At this point it doesn't really matter to much, for he is done. Bush has lost and will lose the election. The winds of change have been blowing since spring.

Upvote 0