Is the Bible Against inappropriate content?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just for the sake of clarity, I hope you are not saying that inappropriate contentography involving willing "actors" isn't sinful.

Sin is only counted for believers. But I'm not
saying they all are not believers.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Tolworth John
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Just for the sake of clarity, I hope you are not saying that inappropriate contentography involving willing "actors" isn't sinful.
No I'm not making any judgement either way on willing actors as long as they are legal age... Other than even as a willing actor your circumstances are usually poor which drove you to that decision, and as such still makes you a victim.
My main point though it's about unwilling actors and non adults, who are victims.

• Informative
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think in the verse you mention, we are not looking so much at sin but at rebellion... remaining in sin after one knows it is sin is rebellion.
Up to that point, it's not Sin.
How can you say that? Does it not fit the chata'ah definition of "missing the mark?" The rebellion pesha is more properly translated "transgression." That is worse than sin.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How can you say that? Does it not fit the chata'ah definition of "missing the mark?" The rebellion pesha is more properly translated "transgression." That is worse than sin.
The KJV (not that I am advocating that as a translation) generally translated chata'ah as sin, avon as iniquity and/or transgression, and pesha as rebellion. A 77 year old Jewish man who has been teaching biblical Hebrew classes for nearly 50 years (and speaks 5 other languages) told me this...

Chata'ah does mean "missing the mark" but that definition does not take intent into consideration. So to better understand the Hebrew concept behind the word, pretend we are looking at an archer. His intent is ALWAYS to draw back, fire, and hit the target (with the target being the righteousness of God). However, being in a fallen state, he will simply miss from time to time despite his intentions. That is chata'ah. The next level would be avon... imagine the same archer with the same intent. However, this time he is emotionally distracted, drawn away even if only temporarily and during that time aims at another target. Once he calms down and refocuses, he turns back to the proper target (repents) and that entire sequence is avon. Pesha is different... it is knowing the target, having the ability to aim for and probably hit the target... but the archer this time seeks for and aims at other targets, on purpose... willful sin, or.. rebellion.

That is how I have understood the words, Dave, if I am wrong my intent is not to deceive.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The KJV (not that I am advocating that as a translation) generally translated chata'ah as sin, avon as iniquity and/or transgression, and pesha as rebellion. A 77 year old Jewish man who has been teaching biblical Hebrew classes for nearly 50 years (and speaks 5 other languages) told me this...
That sounds fairly correct to me. My issue was with Skywriting's comment that until it reaches the level of knowing disobedience (pesha) it was not to be considered "sin."

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That sounds fairly correct to me. My issue was with Skywriting's comment that until it reaches the level of knowing disobedience (pesha) it was not to be considered "sin."
I just wanted to be clear that "missing the mark" also carries the idea of actually trying to hit the mark. :) That is a little bit of context that does clear up a few verse.

Blessings to you and yours today and in the coming days. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

iF27

Dec 12, 2017
London
✟15,202.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Short answer, yes. What is inappropriate content? Erotic images of somebody whom you are not in a covenant relationship with (before God) and you are fantasizing in your heart (lust) for a woman outside of the woman you are with. Since Yeshua revealed the spirit or intent of the commandment concerning adultery as going as deep as "lusting in your heart," then inappropriate content, if you are married, is a form of adultery.

Not to mention how it fills one's mind with imagery that is unrighteous and against the character of the God we serve.

And if you are not married? Then what?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As used in the bible, "adultery" necessitates the woman to be married. (since it was allowed for men to have more than one wife)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just wanted to be clear that "missing the mark" also carries the idea of actually trying to hit the mark.
Excellent point Ken.

Upvote 0

Ancient of Days

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Ancient of Days is correct, then it is called lust. inappropriate content has one engaged, in their mind and heart, in a sexual encounter (albeit through fantasy) with a woman (or man) you don't even know. It is gratifying only to your flesh. Sex between a husband and wife is a beautiful thing, but until then it is something outside of God's will for each person. And if we go there in the heart even if we haven't gone there in the flesh... is not still sin according to the spirit of the law? I believe so.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I was reading an article posted by the BBC today reporting people who view inappropriate content are more likely to divorce and seven times more likely to do casual sex (promiscuity a.k.a. fornication). This is not the way to successful marriage and family development. I was wondering how much is the Bible is against inappropriate contentography?

Is inappropriate content harmful? The evidence, the myths and the unknowns

The very word inappropriate content, comes from the greek word "inappropriate contentea", which literally translate to "fornication". So yes watching someone fornicate and enjoying it too....yup pretty much on the not to-do list.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums