Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
For the past two weeks, I have been researching a variety of Christian and religious topics. I ordered some books from amazon, watched several videos on YouTube, and also read many articles on natural theology and Christian philosophy. During this period, I have been seeing the numbers 66 and 77. I know that the number of the beast is 666, so I am always reminded of the Bible and God when I see the number 66. For some reason, when I see 77, I am immediately reminded of Jesus' resurrection. I have no idea why this is happening and I am honestly bewildered. Some examples of the instances when I saw these numbers:

1) I stopped to get gas and the mileage ended with 66.
2) A little later, I checked my phone battery and it said that it had 77% charge. I immediately thought of Jesus. I tried to forget about it and turned on the radio.
3) Then, I got that "ding" sound that you get when you receive an e-mail on the Iphone, so I naturally turned on my phone and I see 66% charge!
4) The above incidents occurred two days ago, on Friday. I am a huge soccer fan and I was watching this game and the only goal of the match was scored during the 77th minute. This was in the morning today.
5) In the evening, I went to the gym. After I left the gym and entered my car, I saw that the time was 6:06 pm. I was quite shocked because even though you can't get two sixes next to each other in the timing system, both the sixes were separated by a 0. I wouldn't have been surprised if it was 6:16 , 6:26, 6:36, 6:46, or 6:56.

Am I blowing this out of proportion or is there something going on?

It's a form of cognitive bias and pattern recognition. Years ago I went through a period of a few months where when I looked at the clock, it (seemed) like it was always at 3:11. Was it something mystical or profound? Well no, it's just that I was passively ignoring all the times I looked at the clock and it wasn't 3:11, but I was remembering and taking conscious notice of all the times it was 3:11. It's not unlike how we might think "Man, bad things happen to me a lot", because we are consciously registering the negative things and passively ignoring the positive things. It's not bad luck or bad fortune or something, it's just coincidence--but the mind develops and begins to look for patterns.

It's important to keep in mind that the "number of the beast" isn't 666, that is, "six six six", the number is six hundred and sixty-six. It's 600 + 60 + 6. When written out in Arabic numerals through decimal notation it looks like "666". However, in the original Greek the number was written: XΞϛ

E.g.
DfzhKXBV4AAxZG6.jpg

That's because in Greek numbers were written using Greek numerals, Greek letters were assigned numeric value and numbers were written additively, X (600) Ξ (60) ϛ (6), the bar over the three characters instructs the reader to recognize this as a number, rather than a word.

So even if you were seeing 66, it wouldn't have any significance, it's just the number sixty-six.

Likewise, 77 isn't significant. While the number 7 (seven) does get used symbolically in the Bible, the number 77 isn't a more significant 7. In ancient counting systems it would just be 70+7. In Greek numerals that'd be ΟΖ, in Roman numerals it'd be LXXVII, and in Hebrew numerals עז.

It's a fairly unique situation of decimal notation that we get these kinds of repeating numeral characters, such as 111 for one hundred and eleven, 100+10+1 = 111.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0