Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I live in Toronto. I have a lot of personal experiences with the homeless (unhoused). I am writing about my real-life close encounters with them.

Homelessness is a complex issue. Due to the many varieties of reasons people become homeless: jobless, mental, drug, addiction, abuse, etc. None of us is competent to deal with all these complex issues. However, here are some guiding principles from the Scriptures:

Proverbs 19:
17 whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward them for what they have done.

Mat 25:
35 I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.
Most of today's homeless people are not the same kind of poor people described in the Bible. If you want to maximize the effectiveness of your time, money, and other resources on the homeless, I recommend working with some professional organizations or with your home church instead of going it by yourself.

In terms of basic necessities, the Canadian government provides financial assistance for them. Further support is available from local non-profit organizations.

Giving money to local food banks is better than giving food yourself to a homeless person because the food banks have purchasing and bargaining power. They can buy groceries and food for less than half the price that you would pay. A dollar in your hand becomes at least $2 in theirs.

From my experience, I can tell you that their #1 need is Jesus. Homeless or not, we are all sinners. Be kind and volunteer to help out in shelters and tell them about the good news gently and lovingly.

Wings like Eagles

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2013
Arizona
✟215,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wise words ... thank you
I live in Phoenix and the homeless population has exploded in the last couple years. I have been trying to help, but it is very overwhelming.
You are spot on about working with an organization.

His Grace and Peace to you