Do Baptists Believe They Are The Only True Religion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I cannot believe the "discussion" in this thread. Shooting each other down is not where it's at, folks.
John 14:6. John 3:16-17, John 3:3, John 5:24, Romans 10:8-13.

We need no other argument, we need no other plea.
It is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me.

Minus "religion," folks.

Upvote 0

dkin

May 16, 2011
✟15,123.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

For the sake of clarification...Catholics do believe the Catholic Church to be the "One, Holy and Apostolic Church". This we say at every mass when we recite The Nicene Creed. We believe the Catholic Church to have been instituted by Jesus Christ, containing the full truth as revealed to us by God. That said, we believe as stated in the Catechism of the Catholic Church that: "Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and moved by grace, try in their actions to do His will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation."

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2013
✟352.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think most Baptists, if not all, will always have a problem with praying to someone other than Jesus. He gave us the Holy Spirit as our intercessor. I see no scripture that supports praying to the dead.

Upvote 0

dkin

May 16, 2011
✟15,123.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think most Baptists, if not all, will always have a problem with praying to someone other than Jesus. He gave us the Holy Spirit as our intercessor. I see no scripture that supports praying to the dead.

I was a Baptist for many years and certainly would not have prayed to anyone other than Jesus until I came to a different understanding. But I wouldn't say "always will have a problem with it" as I certainly don't now after my conversion, nor do the other Baptists and various Protestants that I know who have also come into full communion with the Church.

Again, to pray is to request. Think of the word usage in old English I.e., "I pray you will Be careful" or in law "The defense prays the court will...". It is no different in the way we use the word. Yes, we pray to God when we are asking for something and so we pray to saints to ask them to intercede on our behalf. Do you ever ask others to pray for you? This is the same thing we are doing when we ask Mary or other saints to pray for us.

When I have a bit more time I'll find some scripture for you that might be helpful. I would also point out that the ancient Jews prayed to and for the dead.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
http://www.christianforums.com/forums/semper-reformanda.366/
http://www.christianforums.com/forums/semper-reformanda.366/

This is a congregational forum for Reformed members:
Semper Reformanda

We have quite a few Reformed Members. I am surprised that name was available.

Reactions: ron4shua
Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2013
✟352.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Asking someone here to pray for you and making attempts to speak to (forgiven) sinners who have passed on is not quite the same. At best it sets a dangerous precedent.

As an example, a friend of my mother's was in training to be a nun. She was instructed during her training that it would be good for her to pray to her dead father (presumed to be a Christian). She did pray to him, felt what she could only describe as a " demonic presence," and promptly left her training.

Whether or not the teachings of the Catholic Church condone the way she was being taught, it really is the next logical extension. If we can pray to one human who accepted Jesus, why can't we pray to them all?

I'm a bit curious to see what scripture can be used to support it, but I can't imagine it is anything but misinterpreted or taken out of context.

Prayer and worship go hand-in-hand. I will continue praying to the only one who is perfect.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

Folks, again, you cannot teach against Baptist beliefs in this particular congregational forum or promote the views of other churches that conflict with Baptist views.

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus instructed us in how we should pray , using the Lord's Prayer you can break it down and pray for hours if you want ... The only place I remember in the OT concerning seeking help from the dead was King Saul seeking Samuel through the witch of Endor , the answer from Samuels spirit was basically "leave me alone"

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2013
✟352.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm so glad you said that! Maybe I'm a bit irreverent, but I find that story hilarious. I've had people try to tell me that the bible doesn't say it's not okay to mess with psychics/fortune tellers/whatever, and I always come back at them with something to the effect of, " I dunno. King Saul went to a medium to speak to a dead prophet. God let the prophet talk to him, and the prophet rather chewed Saul out for it."

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I know right .. Many things have struck me as funny too .. I've imagined the disciples sitting around a fire after Peter walked on water then began to sink before Jesus reached out for him .. I can see John saying "no wonder Jesus named you rock Simon because you sure sank like one" .. Then all of them breaking out in laughter ..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Apr 14, 2013
✟352.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Peter, James, and John were troublemakers

Upvote 0

dkin

May 16, 2011
✟15,123.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
MOD HAT

Folks, again, you cannot teach against Baptist beliefs in this particular congregational forum or promote the views of other churches that conflict with Baptist views.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was referring to quite a few posts. It is not okay to promote the beliefs of beliefs that contradict Baptist beliefs in this congregational forum. The same goes with all the congregational forums.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dkin

May 16, 2011
✟15,123.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I believe we have been forbidden to seek information from the dead as the Pagans did, but that is not what we are doing when we are simply asking the Saints to pray for us. They too are part the same body of Christ as we are. Christ spoke with the dead during the Transfiguration. And we are told in Revelation that the Saints offer up prayers to God.

Upvote 0

dkin

May 16, 2011
✟15,123.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was referring to quite a few posts. It is not okay to promote the beliefs of beliefs that contradict Baptist beliefs in this congregational forum. The same goes with all the congregational forums.
So no defending of your own faith if it is being misrepresented? Just want to be clear.

Upvote 0

graphuto

Apr 21, 2011
✟7,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I hope you aren't suggesting vain repetition and babbling, as the heathen do.
Jesus told us how to pray, specifically telling us to avoid vain repetition so what do people do?

Repeat the Lord's prayer over and over and over while counting beads.
That isn't praying.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.