• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

Climate Protesters Shot Dead in Panama

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟924,501.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But, I've always failed to see how creating a public safety hazard and indiscriminately negatively impacting random members of the public were seen as an effective form of protest or awareness-raising.
Obviously they don't care about the effectiveness. They don't care about the cause as much as they care about themselves. It's about making a show of yourself, signaling your virtue, being self-righteous, showing you're superior to other people, getting pats on the back from like-minded vacuous, shallow people, and inventing some meaning for their otherwise meaningless lives.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟112,156.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Certain elements of the right are celebrating this guy like he is some vigilante hero.

How do you know that the right are celebrating? In most of the videos I watched of eco protesters getting beaten up, it was the bystanders that were cheering. Are you to say they are all right leaning?

Sometimes there are issues that unite both sides. Getting stuck during rush hours for no reason than being deliberately blocked is one of such issue. Not everything is political unless one chooses to view it as such.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟112,156.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
You can't sympathize with people who were shot for being an inconvenience? Really? Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on Christians who are killed for practicing their faith in places where it is inconvenient or illegal? After all, it was only a matter of time...

I'm just being honest. Why feign false sympathy when there is none in the heart? God knows. Should He find me wanting in that aspect then let His judgement be True. Forcing yourself to feign morality is working for merit.

I hope you watched through the whole video. There were a fair amount of goading happening. To me this is called escalation. It was meant to be confrontational. Neither side wanted to budge. So the obvious outcome is captain.

With regards to Christians martyrs (or any other religions for this matter), that is pretty much a false equivalency. Those who just wanted to practice their faith in peace being killed will have my sympathy. The inconvenience is on the practitioners. Unless it is proven that during the practising of their faith, they went into the community to goad and block the daily lives of the people surrounding them. Then the inconvenience is on the people around them. The difference can't be more black and white.

For what it is worth if you deliberately antagonize another until they accept your message, then your fate is in your hands. Remember Jesus said to His disciples when He sent them out - if the people don't accept your message shake the dust off your feet and let your peace leave with you. Simple leave people who have no interest alone.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟112,156.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Well with Americans you know it's a good chance someone will get shot. Not so much with other nationality.

How very compassionate of you.

It happened in Panama, so the shooter and the killed are Panamanians. Yes Americans are infamous with gun violence however that is because it is the most popular stereotype. Gun violence happen in many other countries too and at times more brutal than the US. Have you seen the South American cartels or the African rebels or the Middle Eastern rebels?

Also stop feigning sympathy. You're not very sympathetic either. For there are many unjust deaths around the globe you just have no genuine feeling about. I know it for a fact. It is a fact that is in the hearts of all humans including the Pope. Let's stop the I measure you as I will not measure myself game.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟112,156.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
You don't catch flies wit vinegar. So the christians here should at least give the illusion of a honey pot.

Sorry that I had to break your illusion that Christianity is only about being nice. That we have to trick someone to into believing. I'm not sure if you have read the Bible or at least the New Testaments. Lord Jesus is be as stinging in His speeches as He can show love. The key is situation.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟293,286.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It happened in Panama, so the shooter and the killed are Panamanians.

The shooter is an American. A former lawyer, who shot people for protesting a copper mine that threatens to destroy 10s of thousands of acres of rainforest and poison the water for hundreds of thousands of people who live downstream of it.

American Arrested in Panama After Video Apparently Shows Fatal Shooting of 2 Eco-Protesters Who Blocked Road

Yes Americans are infamous with gun violence however that is because it is the most popular stereotype. Gun violence happen in many other countries too and at times more brutal than the US. Have you seen the South American cartels or the African rebels or the Middle Eastern rebels?

Let's compare like for like:

We examined 2010 mortality data obtained from the World Health Organization for populous, high-income co"untries (n = 23). Death rates per 100,000 population were calculated for each country and for the aggregation of all non-US countries overall and by age and sex.

Results​

US homicide rates were 7.0 times higher than in other high-income countries, driven by a gun homicide rate that was 25.2 times higher. For 15- to 24-year-olds, the gun homicide rate in the United States was 49.0 times higher. Firearm-related suicide rates were 8.0 times higher in the United States, but the overall suicide rates were average. Unintentional firearm deaths were 6.2 times higher in the United States. The overall firearm death rate in the United States from all causes was 10.0 times higher. Ninety percent of women, 91% of children aged 0 to 14 years, 92% of youth aged 15 to 24 years, and 82% of all people killed by firearms were from the United States."

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟169,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Obviously they don't care about the effectiveness. They don't care about the cause as much as they care about themselves. It's about making a show of yourself, signaling your virtue, being self-righteous, showing you're superior to other people, getting pats on the back from like-minded vacuous, shallow people, and inventing some meaning for their otherwise meaningless lives.
Protesting that doesn’t disturb anyone is usually called a “march”.
If people are inconvenienced by someone protesting, some might explore what these people are so concerned about that they have risked their lives doing the silly thing (that they did that inconvenienced a bunch of people with.)

This is protesting 101, to focus on the issue not the stunt drawing attention to the issue.
Forest/trees, and like that.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

you're in charge you can do it just get louis
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟514,707.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
How do you know that the right are celebrating?
I read some places where they congregate.
In most of the videos I watched of eco protesters getting beaten up, it was the bystanders that were cheering.
Do you enjoy watching lots of videos of eco protesters being beaten up?

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟336,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm just being honest. Why feign false sympathy when there is none in the heart? God knows. Should He find me wanting in that aspect then let His judgement be True. Forcing yourself to feign morality is working for merit.
I appreciate your honesty, but this is pretty disturbing.
I hope you watched through the whole video. There were a fair amount of goading happening. To me this is called escalation. It was meant to be confrontational. Neither side wanted to budge. So the obvious outcome is captain.
There is nothing that someone could say that would justify killing them. Nothing.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟112,156.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I appreciate your honesty, but this is pretty disturbing.

There is nothing that someone could say that would justify killing them. Nothing.

If everyone is honest with you even the most kind person you know of you will find disturbing. And others will think the same of you if you're 100% honest in everything.

I didn't say it was justified. Yet I understand how things got to the place it did. That is a fact. I just said I'm indifferent to the both shooter and the killed. It is a very normal feeling for everyone. There are just some situations you will not feel a thing for regardless how terrible they are.

So I just say what comes to me. If I'm angry about an issue I'm so. If I'm sad I'll be so. And you can see that in the way I write.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟336,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I just said I'm indifferent to the both shooter and the killed. It is a very normal feeling for everyone. There are just some situations you will not feel a thing for regardless how terrible they are.
Complete indifference to the deliberate killing of another human being is not a "very normal feeling for everyone".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟112,156.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I read some places where they congregate.

Do you enjoy watching lots of videos of eco protesters being beaten up?

I watch news (as per the video linked), if the context of the news can be found in accompanying videos I watch them. If wanting to know more is enjoyment then yes but you'll twisting definitions to suit a narrative.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟112,156.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Complete indifference to the deliberate killing of another human being is not a "very normal feeling for everyone".

More normal than you might think of it. In fact it is in the majority. The fact that you don't see more of it is due to keep up of appearances. Nearly everyone wants to portray themselves as "good" outwardly.

Just casually ask a close friend (people who are less likely to lie to you) about the death a some unknown Yemenis in their civil war and see how much they actually cared. Don't be surprised.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟336,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
More normal than you might think of it. In fact it is in the majority. The fact that you don't see more of it is due to keep up of appearances. Nearly everyone wants to portray themselves as "good" outwardly.
Alternatively, the vast majority of humans have empathy and are not faking their concern over the deaths of innocent people. I'm not normally one to throw out psychoanalysis of strangers on the internet, but you seriously sound like a sociopath when you say stuff like this.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟112,156.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Alternatively, the vast majority of humans have empathy and are not faking their concern over the deaths of innocent people. I'm not normally one to throw out psychoanalysis of strangers on the internet, but you seriously sound like a sociopath when you say stuff like this.

Hardly actually if I have real psychopathy I would have feign sympathy like any other. Psychos are not insane people. They just can't have emotional connection but yet know what feeling to feign for the situation. You would find out about a psycho unless you spend time studying them.

I'm just indifferent for this situation. I'm very much emotionally invested in others that I cared for.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟169,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Hardly actually if I have real psychopathy I would have feign sympathy like any other. Psychos are not insane people. They just can't have emotional connection but yet know what feeling to feign for the situation. You would find out about a psycho unless you spend time studying them.

I'm just indifferent for this situation. I'm very much emotionally invested in others that I cared for.
This isn’t helping your case.

Upvote 0