• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Addicted to inappropriate contentography

Zhivko

Site Supporter
May 16, 2018
Kazanlak
✟32,670.00
Country
Bulgaria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am addicted to inappropriate contentography.

Everyday I watch inappropriate content, because they show the most beatiful women doing crazy stuff. I touch 1-2 times a day. I know this is a sin and I want to get rid of it, but it is stronger than me.

How to get rid of this sin?

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Atheists will say touch away, it is a healthy part about being a human. As for inappropriate contentography addiction, is this something you're doing to the point of being unable to function? Like you could be out with friends this weekend, but instead you're masturbating. Consider taking up some more extracurricular activities like dancing, running or rock climbing.

Reactions: Zhivko
Upvote 0

Zhivko

Site Supporter
May 16, 2018
Kazanlak
✟32,670.00
Country
Bulgaria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Atheists will say touch away, it is a healthy part about being a human. As for inappropriate contentography addiction, is this something you're doing to the point of being unable to function? Like you could be out with friends this weekend, but instead you're masturbating. Consider taking up some more extracurricular activities like dancing, running or rock climbing.

It is not something I do to a point of being unable to function. After work I just need to watch inappropriate content and touch or I get annoyed.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Friend, I am sorry that you are being tormented with this. inappropriate content is a monster that once started will crave more and more until you are living in a non stop revolving nightmare.
I am praying strength for you and remember that you are more than a conqueror through Christ, You are an overcomer.

• Agree
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Everyday I watch inappropriate content, because they show the most beatiful women doing crazy stuff. I touch 1-2 times a day. I know this is a sin and I want to get rid of it, but it is stronger than me.

Substitute prayer for the impulses and acts. That is ... you have a impulse to watch (garbage in garbage out) inappropriate content ... pray instead. You have the impulse for the other (self-abuse) ... pray instead. Over time the impulses become less and less and eventually be gone with the help you receive from the Lord through prayer.

Don't say you can't substitute prayer ... just do it ... make a commitment to do so.

1 Peter 5:8

Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

John 1:5
The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

May the Lord help you overcome these sins. Lord help this person keep his mind and focus on Jesus and not on his own fleshly desires. Amen .. in the name of Jesus ... Amen.

Matthew 6:13
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.

1 Corinthians 10:13

13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

Praying to Jesus is your way out.

[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Seventeen76

A long way from 1776 and well into 1984.
Nov 29, 2018
Florida
✟2,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Far more people struggle with this than we know because, thanks to the internet, it is so easily accessible and secret. the good news is that your struggle with inappropriate content isnt inherently worse than any other sin....we are all predisposed to different vices and we all have things that are harder to deal with but we have to deal with it!

IMO, the main reason this is such a vicious cycle of sin and guilt is because this particular sin has so many tripwires throughout our culture. Men are more visual than women so lust usually gets triggered through a visual stimulus. We live in a society that now promoted open sexuality in media and even in daily attire....so we are constantly bombarded with temptation. Jesus alluded to this when He spoke of committing adultery if you even LOOK upon a woman with lust.

Well, before inappropriate contentography there was a 'cooldown' period simply because there wasnt an easy secret way to act out on what was just triggered....but now....well, we all know.

A foolish man resists temptation....a wise man flees from it.

So when I became convicted of this problem in my own life...made it a daily battle to DISCIPLINE MY EYES. I literally would look away from an attractive woman...not that I couldn't make eye contact if having a discussion, but we all know when that look starts turning to undressing with the eyes.

Some may have to take more drastic measures.
Maybe you dont go to the pool or the beach if you know half naked beautiful women are going to be there.
Maybe you just don't watch certain tv shows or movies.
Maybe you need to get an internet filter and have someone else set up the password. Accountability!

Don't be discourraged when you stumble. Unrepentant sin is a red flag regarding one's faith. You are showing a willingness to repent....a healthy spiritual battle. Take the wisest measures possible to limit your exposure to temptation. Pray about it consistently. Read your bible. Your desire and commitment to overwhelm sin and temptation with obedience and righteousness will be reinforced and it will get easier.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How old are you?
Have you been in a relationship?
Have you been sexual with a woman yet?

Upvote 0

Zhivko

Site Supporter
May 16, 2018
Kazanlak
✟32,670.00
Country
Bulgaria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How old are you?
Have you been in a relationship?
Have you been sexual with a woman yet?

29/no/no I just onced went out with a girl and kissed her and we were making out. I hope this does not count as adultery.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Replace old habits with other habits you'd prefer.

habits book - Google Search

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
29/no/no I just onced went out with a girl and kissed her and we were making out. I hope this does not count as adultery.

Kissing

A Christian should ask if lust is in the heart when kissing. Is the kiss making you want to do more with that person? Is it leading you into temptation? Is it in any way an act of coercion? If the answer to any of these questions is "yes," then such kissing may have become sinful for you.

This doesn't mean that we should regard all kisses with a dating partner or with someone we love as sinful. We are to be careful about what is in our hearts and minds to make sure we maintain self-control and a pure heart/mind when kissing, else it very easily can lead to sinning.

It's the "lust check".

Proverbs 6:25
25 Do not lust in your heart after her beauty or let her captivate you with her eyes.

James 1:14-15

14 but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I know this is a sin
It may help to consider why it's a sin. I can think of three angles. First, it violates the woman. She is a daughter of the Most High, made in His image, given a certain emotional makeup. It doesn't matter if the woman seems to be willing, though many of them are doing it out of desperation, it still violates who they are supposed to be in God. Second, it violates who you are supposed to be in God. It turns men into callous sex machines that cannot relate to people except in selfish ways. It destroys the ability to have real sharing intimacy with a partner. It ends in loneliness and regret. And third, it violates our relationship with God, who has established boundaries such as this for our own good and the good children, who need a stable, loving home environment.

Beside church, there are support groups that are dedicated to overcoming this trap. On reddit there is a sub called "no-fap", or something like that.

Also, stay in the Word and prayer, and let the truth of the Gospel liberate you, as it will do.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok thanks for answering.
Well, you are in a high risk category for this kind of behavior so you are not alone. Also, there may be some other issues to consider. A few things to ask yourself before you tackle the problem. Why are you not seeking out a relationship and is there a barrier that keeps you from pursuing one? Note, this is not the reason some can not break the habit however it may be a start on your issue of kicking the habit you find unrighteous in your walk with the Lord.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
or I get annoyed.
That is not a fruit of the spirit, is it? It might not be so clear to your knowledge yet, the consequence of that sin, and how it gives a foothold to the devil to manifest in your life in other ways (1 Corinthians 6:20, John 8:34).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I want all kind of advices, even from atheists.
That's refreshing. Here's my take on it.

As an agnostic, I don't think about this in terms of sin or as a question of morality. But when I was a believer, what set me free from sin (i.e. took away the urges to lust, getting high (in excess), anger, envy etc), was when I realized that I wasn't in fact a sinner, but a saint. According to the gospel, the believer is righteous. The church will more often than not tell you you're a sinner. But as the bible says, as a man thinks, so he is. If you believe your identity is that of a sinner, it's no wonder you sin, right? You will act out who you think you are. So the question is, who are you? Are you a bad person because you feel guilty for whatever, are you a sinner because you have bad habits? Or are you righteous because you a believer? When I say righteous, I don't mean just forgiven. When the bible speaks of righteousness, it's about real righteousness, as in 100%, clean, without blemish, perfect, so good that not even God can find fault in you. I bet you're thinking "that's not me." I think the bible says otherwise. So if you believe the bible, believe that. Even as an agnostic I can testify that it can truly set you free.

I think the greatest cause of sin among Christians is that they believe they are under the law. The bible says that when the commandment comes, sin springs to life. Happens every time. When the commandment says "don't lust after other women," what will you be thinking about? Other women. The commandment may be good, but it only results in sin. So what to do? Consider yourself dead to the law. Christians can debate the nature and role of the law all day long, but IMO Paul is pretty clear about the believer being dead to the law. That means he is also dead to sin, because the commandment is the power of sin. It's both basic gospel and basic psychology; tell people not to push the red button and all they will think about is what the red button is for. So the law brings death, but the gospel makes you focus on Jesus, right. The more you do that, the more you will become like him, just like a boy becomes more and more like his father the more he spends time with him. I mean, he doesn't run around checking out what all the other dads are doing wrong, he's just concerned with his own dad and what he does.

Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

- Pray the "Hail Mary" 3 times at least in the morning
- Spend time in a good hobby
- Do Christian meditation
- Pray the Rosary

The more you pray and meditate*, the quicker you'll get cured.

* via the Christian way

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As an Atheist, I would say you are overly horny. The inappropriate content is a good way to handle that instead of pushing yourself on someone. My advice is to work on some other interest that you like if the inappropriate content is disturbing you, or just do some other activity as well as the inappropriate content when you feel to horny.

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Alright. This is a hard one. But trust me on this one. I have battled it.

(1) Cut out all hardcore material immediately. It's now totally unacceptable to you because it is morally bankrupt and disgusting. The people who do it are exploited or misguided, and they will later regret it. You cannot bear to watch them in it because many will one day be embarrassed by what they did and they wouldn't want you to watch it.

It's also fundamentally unhealthy to you and will cause you to develop erectile dysfunction or skewed and unrealistic sexual desires and habits.

Never, ever, ever look at it.

Keep in mind, you may feel with your quest to stop fapping, but if you never look at the hardcore material, you are already scoring a point for yourself, and by completing this step, you will also take out some of the poison.

Maybe you never stop fapping... But if we can get you to do this, we are going in the right direction.

Make the vow to never willingly watch this or seek it out and then celebrate. You've accomplished something and it will be helpful to your overall goal.

(2) You need to avoid problematic moments. For instance, I assume that you are like most people and you have an arranged set of circumstances at which point you touch -- e.g., after work/school when you are alone with the computer and idling, or in the bathroom in the shower...

You should start by occupying those moments you normally do it with something else. For isntance, shower quickly and in colder water while listening to a podcast; only go to the computer to do specific things, and let me also emphasize this: gaming is totally acceptable. Don't be afraid to say "I game from 6 to 8 PM; I don't fap."

(3) Exhaust yourself. Occupy every hour of your day with either serious work or serious leisure.

So when you are done with work or studying, you need to go, "Alright, it's 8 PM; I am either going to go for a jog or I am going to do productive hobby X; and when I am done, I am going to do my serious casual hobby Y; and before I go to bed, I am going to do Z."

Have goals to meet with these things that you think about.

(4) Try to pray right before the normal problem hours. For instance, I prayed first thing in the morning, first thing when I came home from school/work, and first thing before I went to bed; they were reminders at important times what I am doing.

(5) Don't beat yourself up. You're going to probably fail a hundred times.

(6) Fill yourself with love; not hate or disgust for sin.

Think about the good things you are doing and do not dwell on the negative. Think about positivity and love consistently. Work hard on lovign everyone around you and being kind.

It is in moments of despair that we are most likely to lapse.

Every day challenge yourself to love every one as how you love yourself -- the golden rule of our lord and savior. This requires much effort. Humble yourself & go for hte Golden Rule.

When i love everyone as how I love myself, I feel motivated to not degrade anyone.

Even if they want to do inappropriate content, even if they want to sin, I want to be a light to them, and I want to be able to say that I am not encouraging them with clicks. And because you believe in the eternal soul, you know that this moment matters and this struggle matters, and every moment you pray and do godo things instead of revel in vice is a victory not just for yourself but for the others that you love.

Upvote 0