Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If it is true, that the "zeal of the Lord of host shall perform it" through anyone He chooses, then I do not suspect any limits regarding it, good or evil. Like the repeatedly hardening of Pharaoh's heart (Ex 9:12) is just one type of zeal.

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Zeal in Christianity is a burning desire to please God, to do His will, and to advance His glory in the world in every possible way.
This desire is so strong, when it really reigns in a person, that it impels them to make any sacrifice-to go through any trouble-to deny themselves anything-to suffer, to work, to labor, to toil, to spend themselves and be spent, and even to die-if only they can please God and honor Christ.
Christian Zeal by J. C. Ryle

It is strange that zeal and being zealous are generally seen as positive attributes but being a zealot is not. Zeal is a passion and enthusiasm for something but being a zealot is to be fanatical and rigid in opinion.

I love to feel zeal for faith and spiritual life but I have to reign myself in occasionally to be sure it is not religious mania. I like to try and keep some equilibrium in spiritual life to avoid burn outs and unpleasant consequences of going too far such as not being able to fulfil promises or sustain something I started. It is hard though because sometimes there's so much joy bubbling up inside me just thinking about how awesome the whole entire Truth of Christianity is I want to just shake people and wake them up but shaking people is not allowed in the Netherlands :D

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Christian Zeal by J. C. Ryle

It is strange that zeal and being zealous are generally seen as positive attributes but being a zealot is not. Zeal is a passion and enthusiasm for something but being a zealot is to be fanatical and rigid in opinion.

I love to feel zeal for faith and spiritual life but I have to reign myself in occasionally to be sure it is not religious mania. I like to try and keep some equilibrium in spiritual life to avoid burn outs and unpleasant consequences of going too far such as not being able to fulfil promises or sustain something I started. It is hard though because sometimes there's so much joy bubbling up inside me just thinking about how awesome the whole entire Truth of Christianity is I want to just shake people and wake them up but shaking people is not allowed in the Netherlands :D
This is so true

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
When i think of zeal, i think of "passion" and of David, who had a passion for the Lord, and it partially was demonstrated when he danced before the Lord with all his might.

Upvote 0