Your views on Christian girl wearing hijab/turban?

nuranoora

Sep 22, 2016
ON
✟4,862.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Haay I'm Nura:)
So I was wondering what would you guys think of a Christian girl who wears headscarf(hijab-style)/veil/turban? So my story is, for the longest time I wanted to dress modestly, so much that lately I even considered covering my hair. Whenever I am home alone and praying, I always cover my hair and it makes me feel closer to God for some reason. I don't know why but it just does. I feel protected and I feel like people will stop befriending me and liking/disliking me for my looks but for who I am as a person. I also feel like God gave me long brown hair that I should be grateful for and not use it as something to get someone's attention on me.
What are your thoughts? Should I start wearing it? And would people in Church expel me or something? I just want to be closer to God that's all <3

Your thoughts would mean a lot to me. God bless you :) :bow:

rob_aston

Sep 21, 2016
nz
✟16,002.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
So I was wondering what would you guys think of a Christian girl who wears headscarf(hijab-style)/veil/turban? So my story is, for the longest time I wanted to dress modestly, so much that lately I even considered covering my hair. Whenever I am home alone and praying, I always cover my hair and it makes me feel closer to God for some reason. I don't know why but it just does. I feel protected and I feel like people will stop befriending me and liking/disliking me for my looks but for who I am as a person. I also feel like God gave me long brown hair that I should be grateful for and not use it as something to get someone's attention on me.
What are your thoughts? Should I start wearing it? And would people in Church expel me or something? I just want to be closer to God that's all <3

I would not care one bit, I look at the inside, the heart, the attitude
yes I feel you should wear a scarf/covering but you are sensitive so when you go to church, modify the scarf to look only pretty not to cause questions about hijab etc but above all honour God for what He says to you today. ,love Him!

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
For much of history, in many parts of the World, Christian girls have traditionally worn headscarves and such more or less identical to hijabs and other styles now thought of as "Muslim ". Wear what you like.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married

Islam was invented in 622A.D.
God commanded the hair to be covered in Hebrew texts that predate Islamic by hundreds and hundreds of years. Yes, it is fine for you to cover your head if you wish. The God of the Jews and the Christians spoke of it first. Therefore you are not copying Islam. Rather, Islam is copying the Jews and the Christians.

1 Corinthians 11:1-34
Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you. But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, but every wife who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since it is the same as if her head were shaven.

Reactions: nuranoora
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Best ask family members, rather than join a new forum for advice.
They know you better than strangers in a new forum.

Upvote 0

nuranoora

Sep 22, 2016
ON
✟4,862.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would not care one bit, I look at the inside, the heart, the attitude
yes I feel you should wear a scarf/covering but you are sensitive so when you go to church, modify the scarf to look only pretty not to cause questions about hijab etc but above all honour God for what He says to you today. ,love Him!
Thank you so much for sharing your opinion!! :)

Upvote 0

nuranoora

Sep 22, 2016
ON
✟4,862.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For much of history, in many parts of the World, Christian girls have traditionally worn headscarves and such more or less identical to hijabs and other styles now thought of as "Muslim ". Wear what you like.
Exactly.:) It's just ignorant people that I'm scared of that might treat me badly because they might think I'm Muslim (which is also not a Christian thing to do) :(

Upvote 0

nuranoora

Sep 22, 2016
ON
✟4,862.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Islam was invented in 622A.D.
God commanded the hair to be covered in Hebrew texts that predate Islamic by hundreds and hundreds of years. Yes, it is fine for you to cover your head if you wish. The God of the Jews and the Christians spoke of it first. Therefore you are not copying Islam. Rather, Islam is copying the Jews and the Christians.

1 Corinthians 11:1-34
Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you. But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, but every wife who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since it is the same as if her head were shaven.
Thank you very much for the explanation and encouragement :)

Upvote 0

nuranoora

Sep 22, 2016
ON
✟4,862.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Best ask family members, rather than join a new forum for advice.
They know you better than strangers in a new forum.
I wish I could but my parents are strictly against it though because they think it's only a 'Muslim' thing. :/

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Hi, Nura. 1 Cor. 11 speaks about this issue; but not particularly from the cultural environment of Turkey.

So is your first language Turkish? or maybe you also speak Farsi? It's possible that some of the migrant guest communities in Turkey have on average significantly different views on style of scarves than local people might have; but I don't know, really.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Nuranoora, while we have all kinds of freedom, God wants us to use it wisely. Calling yourself Christian means that people will see you as a reflection of Jesus and/or Christianity. God wants how we behave to be a good example to others. That doesn't mean you need to conform to traditional Christian behavior, but what you do needs to be OK with God and your conscience needs to be clear. I think other posters have accurately represented what God think in general.

However, what he wants you to do right now depends on your exact circumstances (and your ability to recognize his will). Read Romans 14 and 1 Corinthians 8 and see if what Paul is talking about applies to your situation (replace "eating food" with "wearing face covering" to examine the principles involved). Another factor is that God also wants us to be obedient to our parents. Only you have enough detail of what's going on to figure out what is best.

If your goal is modesty, then perhaps you can wear a face covering other than what is used by Muslims. A scarf was mentioned. Women in both Judaism and Catholicism have also worn full face (and body) coverings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Manners of dress are ways of communicating with the outside world as well. A Christian girl might want to consider using veiling methods common to Christian communities in order to identify herself with Christ, rather than adopting styles that would identify her with Mohammed.

Upvote 0

Chantelle1989g

Loving life...
Jul 5, 2016
USA
✟9,091.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Nura,
As Christian women, we should be fully welcome to practice headcovering at church, while praying, or while reading holy scripture, in fact some Christian sects do currently do so, some every day. Headcovering really should not in any way be unwelcomed for Christian women. Yes, if you are feeling the call to cover at church, by all means do it.

The next question is which type of headcovering? Different branches of Christianity are going to have different leanings. A mantilla (or chapel veil) is a good Christian option. They are lace. People will disagree, but a hijab headcovering is also just fine for Christian women to wear, they are the most modest, and cover both head and neck with opaque fabric. A Kapp is kind of a bun cover option that is popular with Amish and such. I would not at all go with a turban... that would just be too odd. They are unique to the Sikh religion.

Upvote 0

masmpg

Nov 20, 2006
Paradise
✟25,769.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single

If we wear something to prove a point we are missing the whole blessing behind wearing it. A "modest" woman can and does wear a head covering, but when we wear it just to prove that one group should or can unite with another group, or to flaunt wearing islamic dress in a Christian setting would cause division instead of Christian love and unity, which is what Christianity should be striving for.

Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0