Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
This could also be due to the condemnation of suicide by the majority of Christian denominations.
Of course, but then that would be a positive effect, would it not?

The authors of the article give four possible reasons for the effects they found, none of which they could rule out or confirm. The study was performed on LDS members and non-members. The reasons they gave were:
1. The prohibition of substance abuse by the church. Substance abuse increases the risk of suicide. Take away substance abuse and suicide goes down.
2. The social structure provided for by the being in a community. Feelings of loneliness and exclusion increase the suicide risk.
3. The social structure provided may also prevent downward economic mobility, another risk factors for suicide.
4. The condemnation of suicide and the belief in the sanctity of life may decrease the liability of someone to commit suicide.

Although I must say that my personal guestimate would be that 4 has the least effect. I don't know how much a person who is so depressed that he is thinking of suicide would consider 4 in his decision. It would seem more likely to me that the prevention of people getting depressed in the first place by 1, 2 and 3 would have most effect. But I couldn't find data on that in 1 minute googling :p

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If I start espousing creationism for the same reasons that creationists do, I hope someone shoots me in the head. Point blank. I mean it too.
Interesting remark, Tomk80.

Suicide rates among Highest GNP Nations.

Gross National Product (GNP) ...Sweden, 14.7. Germany, 13.8. Norway, 13. United States, 11.8. Netherlands, 9.6 ...

www.mcdl.org/Stats/gnpsuicide.htm - 5k - Cached - Similar pages
Does anyone know if these rates still apply?

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
How long would you love me if I taught your kids that Batman & Robin were real people?

It is their right to believe what they like, but when they want to fill the heads of children
with their beliefs to the detriment of sanity and the general good, someone has to step in.

i wouldn't "hate" you, i'd merely disagree.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think, it's just the nature of the internet. In real life, you don't debate evolution / creationism, as there is no debate, of course. At least, to most educated people, it isn't.
Kent Hovind went toe-to-toe with Hugh Ross on the John Ankerberg show, and Ken Ham debated Bill Nye on public TV.

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Kent Hovind went toe-to-toe with Hugh Ross on the John Ankerberg show, and Ken Ham debated Bill Nye on public TV.

I've seen screenshots, on here, of a poll a Christian website held, after the Bill Nye & Ken Ham debate. 92% of people, they voted that Nye won the debate. This was on a Christian site. Many Christians, we are embarrassed of people, like Ken Ham & Kent Hovind. They make a mockery, of Christians. I encounter questions, about them, often, as outside of the US, they are known, due to YouTube. People, they will assume, we're all imbeciles, with our heads up our bums, because of them. It's frustrating. Fools like them, they are very, very damaging to Christianity.

Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
This is not a contest to see how much of a "creationist zealot" or "atheist blowhard" you can be. Everyone should try to chill out and not take things so personally. There is, and always will be, great mysteries in this universe that are beyond our understanding, whether or not you believe in a personal God. Can we just promise to love each other and get along?

Peace.

Don't know about everyone else, but I'm enjoying myself or I wouldn't be here.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
92% of people, they voted that Nye won the debate. This was on a Christian site.
If this is true, then it will eventually be exposed as a hollow victory when Jesus comes back.

Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I think, it's just the nature of the internet. In real life, you don't debate evolution / creationism, as there is no debate, of course. At least, to most educated people, it isn't.

You mean there is no actual consideration of the science on the evolutionary side - which all points to creation. There is no debate because they choose to follow the beliefs of their high priests, just as most Christians prefer to follow the beliefs of their high priests.

I've found that most (not all) on both sides usually ignore 90% of the data while expounding those beliefs. That's the nature of belief (evolution or creation) - it tends to color ones worldview and how they perceive the data. The truth lies beyond our current ability to grasp.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
92% of people, they voted that Nye won the debate. This was on a Christian site. Many Christians, we are embarrassed of people, like Ken Ham & Kent Hovind. They make a mockery, of Christians. I encounter questions, about them, often, as outside of the US, they are known, due to YouTube. People, they will assume, we're all imbeciles, with our heads up our bums, because of them. It's frustrating. Fools like them, they are very, very damaging to Christianity.

Embarrassed? No, just frustrated.

People like Ken Ham, etc., make a mockery of the Bible believing it teaches a young earth - when it teaches no such thing, but the exact opposite. So of course they can't fit their beliefs of the Word to the Works, and so will always fail in every single debate, because they are trying to uphold an incorrect translation of the Words when it comes to the Works. The same Author penned them both and so they must agree. They are just arguing from the wrong stance.

Upvote 0

whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom
How long would you love me if I taught your kids that Batman & Robin were real people?
you can teach your kids anything you want to.
as for me, i would want my children to believe that morality comes from something other than the corrupt ways of mankind.
no, you have no right whatsoever to say what i can or can't teach my children.
the only thing you can do in this regard is pray that i have measure of sanctity in what i teach them.

does the word christ really bother you that much?
christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ.

muahahaha.
oh, sorry.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
you can teach your kids anything you want to.
as for me, i would want my children to believe that morality comes from something other than the corrupt ways of mankind.
no, you have no right whatsoever to say what i can or can't teach my children.
the only thing you can do in this regard is pray that i have measure of sanctity in what i teach them.

does the word christ really bother you that much?
christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ, christ.

muahahaha.
oh, sorry.

LOL!

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've seen screenshots, on here, of a poll a Christian website held, after the Bill Nye & Ken Ham debate. 92% of people, they voted that Nye won the debate. This was on a Christian site. Many Christians, we are embarrassed of people, like Ken Ham & Kent Hovind. They make a mockery, of Christians. I encounter questions, about them, often, as outside of the US, they are known, due to YouTube. People, they will assume, we're all imbeciles, with our heads up our bums, because of them. It's frustrating. Fools like them, they are very, very damaging to Christianity.
Some don't care about the damage they do to Christianity unfortunately.

Reactions: Blue Wren
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

You are entitled to your opinion, of course. Thank you kindly for sharing it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Embarrassed? No, just frustrated.

People like Ken Ham, etc., make a mockery of the Bible believing it teaches a young earth - when it teaches no such thing, but the exact opposite. So of course they can't fit their beliefs of the Word to the Works, and so will always fail in every single debate, because they are trying to uphold an incorrect translation of the Words when it comes to the Works. The same Author penned them both and so they must agree. They are just arguing from the wrong stance.

A most interesting point of view.

Thank you kindly for sharing it.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are entitled to your opinion, of course. Thank you kindly for sharing it.
And you're entitled to your opinion of Blue Wren's opinion of 92% of a handful of Christians who were given a poll of their opinion of the debate.

^_^

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
And you're entitled to your opinion of Blue Wren's opinion of 92% of a handful of Christians who were given a poll of their opinion of the debate.

^_^

Yes, i found it interesting that it was a handful of some Christians who surely speak for the majority (and that of course must include me) cuz surely i agree, right? Hmmmmmm.....not necessarily.....and as i stated, yes, it is an interesting opinion, even if i don't agree with it and find the poll and thus any assumptions thereof, short-sighted.
4chsmu1.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sahjimira

God of miracles.. He saved ME!
Jul 29, 2015
Florida
✟18,595.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If I start espousing creationism for the same reasons that creationists do, I hope someone shoots me in the head. Point blank. I mean it too.

When my neighbours try to force creationism as some kind of "science" and want to force it into public schools, I see no reason to "love them as myself". Tolerance has it's limits, and when an intolerant form of cultism like creationism tries to force itself into public life, such limits are reached. I live in the Netherlands, where this isn't much of an issue. Yet every once in a while the ghoul of creationism rears it's ugly head even here. In my opinion, there can be no other response to this then to try to force it back into oblivion as soon as possible.

I try to moderate my tone in these debates, because I think persuasion is not reached by insult. I can have no respect for creationism, but I can have respect for individual creationists and will happily discuss these issues without insults. But a line crosses for me when these people start ignoring the evidence that is there, invoking the miracle escape. I have noted that this line is reached for me rather more quickly the last few months, which is why I tend to be less active on these forums.

Look at how the Netherlands or Sweden turned out, which both have some of the lowest percentage of religious people in the world.. Unlike some other countries I could think of but will not mention (ok, I'm thinking of the United States), we have lower crime rates, higher wellfare, healthcare for all, an education system that rises above that of a third world country and all those things while maintaining a competitive economy. I have lived in the United States for half a year and would like to return there, but not for reasons that supposedly would have to do with religion. There is a sense of openness in America for new ideas that is harder to find in the Netherlands. But that sense of openness is not found in the strictly religious circles. Looking especially at the fundamentalist movement, values that I would consider moral such as tolerance of other groups of people, striving for universal wellbeing and freedom from oppression seem to be completely absent in the fundamentalist movement. Indeed, when I gave some examples of the standpoints of the religious right in America, even several of my fundamentalist christian friends in the Netherlands thought these people were misguided in their reading of scripture.

Perhaps you should consider that the issue is more complicated than religious or non-religious?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.