Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"Thou fool, that shall say: We have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible."
Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 29:6

"The Lord God will proceed to bring forth the words of the book; and in the mouth of as many witnesses as seemeth him good will he establish his word; and wo be unto him that rejecteth the word of God!"
2 Nephi 27:14

"No man will be angry at the words which I have written save he shall be of the spirit of the devil."
2 Nephi 33:5

"And you that will not partake of the goodness of God, and respect the words of the Jews, and also my words, (The Book of Mormon) and the words which proceed forth out of the mouth of the Lamb of God, behold, I bid you an everlasting farewell, for these words shall condemn you at the last day. For what I seal on earth, shall be brought against you at the judgment bar."
2 Nephi 33:14-15

Those are harsh words against those who reject the Book of Mormon.

served

Dec 19, 2010
✟15,329.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
"Thou fool, that shall say: We have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible."
Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 29:6

"The Lord God will proceed to bring forth the words of the book; and in the mouth of as many witnesses as seemeth him good will he establish his word; and wo be unto him that rejecteth the word of God!"
2 Nephi 27:14

"No man will be angry at the words which I have written save he shall be of the spirit of the devil."
2 Nephi 33:5

"And you that will not partake of the goodness of God, and respect the words of the Jews, and also my words, (The Book of Mormon) and the words which proceed forth out of the mouth of the Lamb of God, behold, I bid you an everlasting farewell, for these words shall condemn you at the last day. For what I seal on earth, shall be brought against you at the judgment bar."
2 Nephi 33:14-15

Those are harsh words against those who reject the Book of Mormon.

Guess I'm a fool. Hopefully they serve good drinks at the judgement bar. Hopefully they will understand at the bar that giving us all these contradictory books was not good judgement on their part. At least I know Jesus wont condemn me...

Joh_3:17 (KJV) For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Joh_8:11 (KJV) She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Upvote 0

TasteForTruth

Half-truths are lies wearing makeup
Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Guess I'm a fool. Hopefully they serve good drinks at the judgement bar. Hopefully they will understand at the bar that giving us all these contradictory books was not good judgement on their part. At least I know Jesus wont condemn me...

Joh_3:17 (KJV) For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Joh_8:11 (KJV) She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
People who reject God's words condemn themselves.

As for the OP, yes, it appears to be a bad idea to willfully reject the witness of Jesus Christ which the Book of Mormon was written to deliver in the latter days. (see Book of Mormon, Title Page) It is foolish to reject a witness of and from God.

Upvote 0

ldsfaqs

Jun 26, 2011
✟615.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
Scriptures are full of "harsh words".... The question then becomes if the person will have the Faith to listen, understand, and then heed them.

You choose who you serve.... the doctrines of men mingled with the doctrines of God, or God's Kingdom once again literally on the earth with his anointed, just as the anointed and watchmen of old.

Upvote 0

served

Dec 19, 2010
✟15,329.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

As for the OP, yes, it appears to be a bad idea to willfully reject the witness of Jesus Christ which the Book of Mormon was written to deliver in the latter days. (see Book of Mormon, Title Page) It is foolish to reject a witness of and from God.

It would be foolish to start a church out of thin air and revise a book multiple times that is only a couple hundred years, If the book had not changed one "jot" from the beginning I would take the time to read it. I don't condemn anyone though, we will all see the light in the end and will all be surprised of what we did and didn,t know.

Upvote 0

underheaven

Jul 19, 2011
in a caravan in the sky
✟1,218.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Private

:D:clap::clap::doh:

Upvote 0

ldsfaqs

Jun 26, 2011
✟615.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
It would be foolish to start a church out of thin air and revise a book multiple times that is only a couple hundred years, If the book had not changed one "jot" from the beginning I would take the time to read it.

Let me guess, are you referring to the "changes" in the Book of Mormon since it was first published? If so, several problems with your judgment.

1. Why do you not apply the same standard to the Bible if you don't like "changes" so much?

2. Why aren't you aware that all the "changes" relate to errors by "scribes", errors by "printers", and other man-made errors, having nothing to do with the translation that came from God himself?

I don't condemn anyone though, we will all see the light in the end and will all be surprised of what we did and didn,t know.

Indeed..... However, you did condemn, and thus might be missing out on something important. ;)

Upvote 0

served

Dec 19, 2010
✟15,329.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Let me guess, are you referring to the "changes" in the Book of Mormon since it was first published? If so, several problems with your judgment.
Yep these changes...

1. Why do you not apply the same standard to the Bible if you don't like "changes" so much?
I do apply the same standards, I check back as far as I can in translations. The problems I have is that you have a book written in this country, a young one at that. The book is in English, there are no excuses in translation error. Plus you would claim it was a perfect translation right? Or no? If not who is to blame for the mistranslated copy?
2. Why aren't you aware that all the "changes" relate to errors by "scribes", errors by "printers", and other man-made errors, having nothing to do with the translation that came from God himself?
Like how the KJV and errors in it are copied and written in the BOM. How can the same errors be made again? See I go after the original manuscripts, but mormons shy away from their original manuscripts...why???

Indeed..... However, you did condemn, and thus might be missing out on something important. ;)

Who was I condemning? I'm not saying the BOM is false, but I AM saying the BOM has too many contradictions which raise too many suspicions to me.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011
✟8,473.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

problem is Joseph Smith was deeply involved with the occult, and his witness is a false one, just as his book is as false as he was. if it were true the mormons would excavate the place in newyork where the great war took place and dig up proof this huge war, as it should be littered with war impliments

Upvote 0

ldsfaqs

Jun 26, 2011
✟615.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
Yep these changes...

Thought so.

I do apply the same standards, I check back as far as I can in translations.

But that's not what you said. If you don't like corrections with the BOM, why don't you have a problem with the Bible being corrected (supposedly anyway)? In other words, you don't have a problem with scholars going back and trying to find the correct intent, why should you have a problem with LDS scholars, and more importantly "Prophets" of God going back and correcting after the fact mistakes?

Further, what about the fact that modern translations in some cases have actually made things worse, rather than better? What about the fact that some translations actually seem to conform to the ideology of the translator, i.e. Evangelicals and the NIV rather than what the Greek/Hebrew actually states? I mean, you have much more problems than LDS.

The problems I have is that you have a book written in this country, a young one at that. The book is in English, there are no excuses in translation error. Plus you would claim it was a perfect translation right? Or no? If not who is to blame for the mistranslated copy?

You are confused. Errors of scribes who wrote the revelations that Joseph dictated to them, and errors of "printers" at a printing press, etc. means that humans can still error. Heck, even Joseph made a couple of errors that he caught himself by misspeaking.

No, LDS do not consider anything "perfect" that comes through man. No scripture is perfect. Joseph Smith once said that the Book of Mormon was the "most correct" book. He never said it was perfect.

I just told you some of "who's to blame"..... You do know that in 1830 that printing books were still done by HAND, where a printer and his helpers "placed" every single letter etc.? That's just one of the human errors that resulted in many of the "changes" to the BOM that needed to be corrected. Even our current edition still has some known errors. However, it's not a big deal, key doctrines and principles are all still and were basically always intact or caught immediately.

Like how the KJV and errors in it are copied and written in the BOM. How can the same errors be made again? See I go after the original manuscripts, but mormons shy away from their original manuscripts...why???

First problem is there are no "original manuscripts".
Yes, I know there are "old copies". But they still aren't original.
Second, nearly ALL of the KJV "errors" that you mention that are also in the BOM, are guess what, still in the most earliest known copies of the Bible. Most Bible errors have been found due to scholarship, not because of the earliest known copies actually say something different. You likely didn't know that did you?

To LDS the important thing is "correct interpretation" i.e. "correct translating" of scripture, not that scripture is infallible.

Take for example Genesis 1. I gave a good analysis recently which showed that the NIV actually directly corrupts what the original Hebrew actually states, making it say something completely different. The KJV actually translates Genesis 1 almost perfectly correct.

Who was I condemning? I'm not saying the BOM is false, but I AM saying the BOM has too many contradictions which raise too many suspicions to me.

You condemned the BOM from a position of false assumptions.
When someone actually knows all the facts of an issue, they find that the BOM isn't "suspicious" at all. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ldsfaqs

Jun 26, 2011
✟615.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
problem is Joseph Smith was deeply involved with the occult, and his witness is a false one, just as his book is as false as he was. if it were true the mormons would excavate the place in newyork where the great war took place and dig up proof this huge war, as it should be littered with war impliments

Joseph was NOT deeply involved in the occult. He was a kid who had his pet rock like any other kids in small town America has had, and a kid who was starting to discover his prophetic powers, and likewise as any other small town kid tries to go treasure hunting.

You really need to stop believing what the equivalent of Fanatical Islam says about the Jews and other infidels.

Mormons are highly intelligent and good Christian people. If the claims of our enemy's was that easy "true", then at least a good 80% of us wouldn't be Mormon. Most of us are well educated of the things of the world and faith, and aren't interested in man-made religion.

Most LDS scholars as well as Joseph Smith well before the end of his life did not and do not believe ANY BOM events took place in New York (other than Moroni traveling for a long time and many miles and placed the Plates there), but instead took place in Meso-America. Very few reasonably informed LDS through history has believed New York is where the events took place. Yes, some mistakingly have and do, but it's all personal opinion. God has not revealed "where" BOM events took place. Even Joseph Smith initially assumed BOM events took place in the New York/North America. Maybe a few did. However, as he came to know the BOM itself, and to know his world around him, he came to a Meso-America view.

You really should inform yourself the degree of scholarship that has occurred with the BOM, instead of simply believing the bearing false witness words of our enemies. Do you go to Atheists, Anti-Christians, and ex-Christians for the "truths" about Christianity, or do you study out of the best Christian Works to know Christianity? Of course, not saying knowing what enemy's say can't be useful to knowing the real truth, but, it's certainly not the "primary" place you should be getting your information. You need to understand how people THEMSELVES support their beliefs, what their foundations, and evidences are. Enemy's and haters of a group have a bad habit of often lying about a group. Of course, not every group does it, there is usually some side that is actually telling the truth about itself and others, but you aren't going to know that and specifically which one it actually is, if you are just regurgitating the vomit from your own sports box.

A sampling of evidences for the BOM:

http://www.ancientamerica.org/

http://www.jefflindsay.com/BMEvidences.shtml

http://the-book-of-mormon.com

http://www.the-book-of-mormon.com/photo-proofs.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

served

Dec 19, 2010
✟15,329.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thought so.

But that's not what you said. If you don't like corrections with the BOM, why don't you have a problem with the Bible being corrected (supposedly anyway)? In other words, you don't have a problem with scholars going back and trying to find the correct intent, why should you have a problem with LDS scholars, and more importantly "Prophets" of God going back and correcting after the fact mistakes?
I do have problems with mistakes of translation in my bibles. Most of the mistakes are going from greek/hebrew to english with about a 2000 year language difference. Book of Mormon 200 years english to english. Do you see the difficulty difference?
Further, what about the fact that modern translations in some cases have actually made things worse, rather than better? What about the fact that some translations actually seem to conform to the ideology of the translator, i.e. Evangelicals and the NIV rather than what the Greek/Hebrew actually states? I mean, you have much more problems than LDS.
I agree modern translations lack the meat. And yes agree and agree.
You are confused. Errors of scribes who wrote the revelations that Joseph dictated to them, and errors of "printers" at a printing press, etc. means that humans can still error. Heck, even Joseph made a couple of errors that he caught himself by misspeaking.
Did he forget that everyone would know when "Jesus" returned?
No, LDS do not consider anything "perfect" that comes through man. No scripture is perfect. Joseph Smith once said that the Book of Mormon was the "most correct" book. He never said it was perfect.
No scripture is perfect? I don't agree with that statement.
I just told you some of "who's to blame"..... You do know that in 1830 that printing books were still done by HAND, where a printer and his helpers "placed" every single letter etc.? That's just one of the human errors that resulted in many of the "changes" to the BOM that needed to be corrected. Even our current edition still has some known errors. However, it's not a big deal, key doctrines and principles are all still and were basically always intact or caught immediately.

Are these printer errors?

Original 1830 Text (Mosiah 9, p. 200):
“…King Benjamin had a gift from God, whereby he could interpret such engravings…”

Current, Altered Text (Mosiah 21:28):
“…King Mosiah had a gift from God, whereby he could interpret such engravings…”

Original 1830 Text (Ether 1, p. 546):
“…and for this cause did King Benjamin keep them…”

Current, Altered Text (Ether 4:1)
“…and for this cause did King Mosiah keep them…”

According to Book of Mormon chronology, King Benjamin was already dead when these events took place. Apparently LDS leaders changed the name to Mosiah to eliminate the mistake. Does this sound like an error on the part of a transcriber or a printer? There also appear to be changes to the text that attempt to accommodate later developing doctrines within the church:
taken from Did Joseph Smith's Doctrine of God Change?
First problem is there are no "original manuscripts".
Yes, I know there are "old copies". But they still aren't original.
Second, nearly ALL of the KJV "errors" that you mention that are also in the BOM, are guess what, still in the most earliest known copies of the Bible. Most Bible errors have been found due to scholarship, not because of the earliest known copies actually say something different. You likely didn't know that did you?
To LDS the important thing is "correct interpretation" i.e. "correct translating" of scripture, not that scripture is infallible.

Take for example Genesis 1. I gave a good analysis recently which showed that the NIV actually directly corrupts what the original Hebrew actually states, making it say something completely different. The KJV actually translates Genesis 1 almost perfectly correct.

That is why I do not translate doctrine as I rather translate scripture, I don't usually use NIV. I like the concordant literal translation, Rotherhams, and KJV with concordance. I can get all of these from E-sword.

You condemned the BOM from a position of false assumptions.
When someone actually knows all the facts of an issue, they find that the BOM isn't "suspicious" at all. :wave:

I may be biased somewhat because I have experience with a family member who after joining the church distanced themselves to us. We were the infidel's so to speak and so my wife and kids suffered. Mother in law has since left the church and all is well again. Unfortunately after talking to other folks that experienced this too I have concluded that this church has a tendency to outcast a rip apart family's. Unlike your beliefs I believe everyone will be saved in this life or the spiritual life. So no hard feelings as we will all come to the truth in due time. God's Will be DONE.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TasteForTruth

Half-truths are lies wearing makeup
Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Lots of side-discussions in there. I'm surprised to hear the "if it were true" argument, as that seems to be a favorite used by many non-believers to stump their Orthodox Christian counterparts. Seems a little strange that a Christian himself would employ it to counter another Christian's beliefs. It's a sign-seeking mentality that I would think most Christians simply would avoid.

Upvote 0

ldsfaqs

Jun 26, 2011
✟615.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
I do have problems with mistakes of translation in my bibles. Most of the mistakes are going from greek/hebrew to english with about a 2000 year language difference. Book of Mormon 200 years english to english. Do you see the difficulty difference?

Sure, but that still doesn't mean errors can't occur. Like I've said, errors occurred for various legitimate and normal reasons. Nothing "sinister" about it.

I agree modern translations lack the meat. And yes agree and agree.

Very good.

Did he forget that everyone would know when "Jesus" returned?

?

No scripture is perfect? I don't agree with that statement.

I do, because scriptures come through fallible men, and are written, etc. by fallible men. There is always the possibility that someone messed something up. Obviously I'm not saying all scriptures have problem, I'm saying in the general sense. Versions of the Bible are not perfect, the BOM isn't perfect, nor anything else. The Catholic Church and also other Churches even eliminated scripture from the cannon, scripture that was considered scripture by the Apostles and Christ, just because there were problems with some of it.

Are these printer errors?

Original 1830 Text (Mosiah 9, p. 200):
“…King Benjamin had a gift from God, whereby he could interpret such engravings…”

Current, Altered Text (Mosiah 21:28):
“…King Mosiah had a gift from God, whereby he could interpret such engravings…”

Original 1830 Text (Ether 1, p. 546):
“…and for this cause did King Benjamin keep them…”

Current, Altered Text (Ether 4:1)
“…and for this cause did King Mosiah keep them…”

These particular corrections, no. Joseph corrected the first error in 1837 and the Church corrected the second error in 1849.

No "known" reason is given for these particular corrections. Either it could have been a simple "misspeak" by Joseph himself, or it could have been an error in the original, on the plates themselves. You do know it's possible the original writers could have made errors right? In fact, Mormon says as much in his introduction.

And now if there be fault, it be the mistake of men: wherefore condemn not the things of God, that ye may be found spotless at the judgment seat of Christ. (1830 Book of Mormon title page)

This article addresses the issue, and also gives a possible reason how the error originally occurred by Moroni or Mormon.

Book of Mormon/Textual changes/"Benjamin" changed to "Mosiah" - FAIRMormon

According to Book of Mormon chronology, King Benjamin was already dead when these events took place. Apparently LDS leaders changed the name to Mosiah to eliminate the mistake. Does this sound like an error on the part of a transcriber or a printer?

We don't know where the error actually occurred. Remember, there is more than those two levels in which errors could have occurred. Further, it still could have been a transcriber or printer. Some of the original scribal manuscripts is lost, this could be one of those sections. Sorry, I don't have my resources to tell you for sure.

Maybe your aren't aware, but there is a very large volume work available which shows every single change in the BOM, and the details around the change. I think there is a website out there which goes through a bunch of them also, and LDS one by the way, not an omitting the whole truth anti one.

Anyway....

There also appear to be changes to the text that attempt to accommodate later developing doctrines within the church:
taken from Did Joseph Smith's Doctrine of God Change?

This charge is poppycock, and simply the normal bearing false witness of anti's who misrepresent everything about Mormonism, taking a little truth and using it to create great lies by omitting important facts and truth.

There have been no actual "doctrine" changes in the Church.

That is why I do not translate doctrine as I rather translate scripture, I don't usually use NIV. I like the concordant literal translation, Rotherhams, and KJV with concordance. I can get all of these from E-sword.

That's good. But, beware of literal translations. They can be helpful to know the "words", but often if you believe them literally you will be in error, because translating words alone don't necessarily give you what was actually meant.

I may be biased somewhat because I have experience with a family member who after joining the church distanced themselves to us. We were the infidel's so to speak and so my wife and kids suffered. Mother in law has since left the church and all is well again. Unfortunately after talking to other folks that experienced this too I have concluded that this church has a tendency to outcast a rip apart family's. Unlike your beliefs I believe everyone will be saved in this life or the spiritual life. So no hard feelings as we will all come to the truth in due time. God's Will be DONE.

While it is true that the Gospel does tend to rip family's apart, it's certainly not because of us, or our teachings. It's generally because those who have been left have negative feelings about the Church, etc., and thus obviously, who wants to associate with people who only diss you and your faith all the time? We have no "infidel" ideas in our Faith. In fact, we are among the only religions that are actually tolerant and accepting of other believers and faiths. We don't have "ministry's" against other faiths, etc. etc.

I mean, look at you. You are quoting our enemy's, thus you clearly study and accept many of their words of us. That doesn't lend itself to tolerance of one another. Believe me, if what you were saying was true, I would see it and know it. I've known many who have converted to the Church, and 99.9% of the time, the convert isn't the one with the problem, it's those and/or the ideologies they are leaving. It's the bigotry of the "cult minders"..... that is the problem.

Also, you clearly don't know LDS theology. LDS theology provides a way for EVERYONE to be saved, either in this life or the next. Again, stop believing our enemy's words about us. We do Temple Work saving and exalting ordinances for the living AND the dead, so all might be saved in Christ. Other than maybe Universalists, Mormonism is the only religion that provides doctrine and theology that all are alike unto God, and according to God's Grace and Justice all will be able to be saved and know Him.

Anyway, that is good you have that belief. Maybe you should attend our Church for a bit and start to see what we are really like and believe.

Take care. :)

Upvote 0

ldsfaqs

Jun 26, 2011
✟615.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
What does this mean?
:confused:

Joseph didn't just all of a sudden one day become a Prophet and be able to hear and see Gods Word, and then dictate it like a robot. Likewise, Christ didn't just automatically become The Christ. He grew from Grace to Grace.

In other words, Joseph as a young man started seeing beyond the vail, started seeing things that most people don't see.

BTW.... There was an event in his childhood which can explain the manifestation of his talents. While very young, he had his leg operated on, a major new operation technique, and without any anesthesia, etc. It's a well known fact in the amazing talent rhelm that people who have gone through some type of trauma while young, often develop some amazing skill. It's perfectly reasonable that Joseph went through the same thing.

Upvote 0