"You Can’t Be Truly Feminist If You Don’t Want Women to Control Their Own Bodies"

Z.Mackenzie

Nov 4, 2015
✟15,534.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
The article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rebec...en-to-control-their-own-bodies_b_9754396.html
"You can want women to do better, but you simply can’t be a feminist if you won’t stand up for reproductive freedom."​

So apparently anti-abortion feminists are not feminists. In order to qualify as a feminist, you have to be in favor of abortion rights.

The issue I have with this, is why then, must feminists constantly annoy and pressure people as to why they are not a feminist? If clearly, (which make sense) there are qualifications as to who gets to be a feminist, why then are feminists surprised that some people are choosing not identifying as feminist? I say this because there are many articles written by feminists upset at the majority of women for instance, not identifying with the label of feminist, and keep on repeating the argument that "feminism is just about equality. If you believe men and women are equal. Then you're a feminist" when we know that isn't true.

I do applaud the feminists who make their stances clearer and straight to the point, but it makes no logical sense whatsoever to act confused as to why most people do not identify with feminism. The club is clearly exclusive to those who qualify (again makes sense) and not everyone will qualify.

Last edited:

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"Feminism" has little to do with feminism. Look how the National Organization for Women reacts to women like a Phyllis Schlafly or Sarah Palin. It's not about being a strong, independent woman, it's about being the right kind of woman (one who agrees with their political/social agenda).

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rebec...en-to-control-their-own-bodies_b_9754396.html

So apparently anti-abortion feminists are not feminists. In order to qualify as a feminist, you have to be in favor of abortion rights.

The issue I have with this, is why then, must feminists constantly annoy and pressure people as to why they are not a feminist? If clearly, (which make sense) there are qualifications as to who gets to be a feminist, why then are feminists surprised that some people are choosing not identifying as feminist? I say this because there are many articles written by feminists upset at the majority of women for instance, not identifying with the label of feminist, and keep on repeating the argument that "feminism is just about equality. If you believe men and women are equal. Then you're a feminist" when we know that isn't true.

I do applaud the feminists who make their stances clearer and straight to the point, but it makes no logical sense whatsoever to act confused as to why most people do not identify with feminism. The club is clearly exclusive to those who qualify (again makes sense) and not everyone will qualify.

As a former "feminist", i have only one thing to say.

˙zuǝplɐʍɹǝzunפ

˙ʎlsnoᴉɹǝs

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The article:

All underdogs matter.
Sharing categories is natural as priorities will naturally overlap to some degree, but trying to maintain purity of a brand is especially challenging in a commercial environment, which is also the political environment since money is speech by Supreme Court's decision.

Upvote 0

Four Angels Standing

2Peter 1:21 Cry Out For Wisdom Grace Heals
Apr 18, 2016
Dallas
✟11,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Z.Mackenzie

Nov 4, 2015
✟15,534.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Exactly. Freedom, being the key word.
"You can want women to do better, but you simply can’t be a feminist if you won’t stand up for reproductive freedom."
In other words she is saying you can't be a feminist if you do not support convenience abortion.

The key word is reproductive.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Four Angels Standing

Apr 18, 2016
Dallas
✟11,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"You can want women to do better, but you simply can’t be a feminist if you won’t stand up for reproductive freedom."
In other words she is saying you can't be a feminist if you do not support convenience abortion.

The key word is reproductive.
Freedom for reproductive rights of women, is the key issue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Abortion is an topic that provokes intense feelings. On both sides. How many times in these forums have people posted that you're not a real conservative, or a real Republican if you're pro-choice? (And we've all seen it stated that Christians shouldn't use or support contraceptives. Of course, it's against CF rules to say outright that someone isn't a real Christian. But that's the obvious implication.)

Unfortunately, zealotry and demands for ideological purity always accompany strongly emotional issues. It's human nature.

Upvote 0

Four Angels Standing

Apr 18, 2016
Dallas
✟11,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It should be. At least that is the impression that they give.

I'm not sure why people feel they don't have reproductive rights now.
How do you define, reproductive rights? In what context as pertains to the OP article context?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How about privacy? As relates to their reproductive right to.

In what context? I'm not trying to be a smarty pants. I'm honestly try to understand what you are talking about. We have HIPPA laws that cover privacy. Who is broadcasting what when it comes to someone's health records?

Upvote 0

Four Angels Standing

Apr 18, 2016
Dallas
✟11,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In what context? I'm not trying to be a smarty pants. I'm honestly try to understand what you are talking about. We have HIPPA laws that cover privacy. Who is broadcasting what when it comes to someone's health records?
Are health records the only thing you believe falls under the umbrella of privacy as a woman's reproductive rights?

Upvote 0

Four Angels Standing

Apr 18, 2016
Dallas
✟11,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I told you I was asking for clarification as to what you meant by privacy, and even mentioned I wasn't clear on what you meant.

Why answer my question with another question?
Because your reply appears to state that you think matters of women's reproductive privacy applies to their medical records. That's why I asked you to clarify that.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I asked for context and clarification, because medical privacy normally does mean medical records. When I ask for context and clarification it normally means for you to 'clarify' and give 'context'. I'm not sure where I'm losing you.

Once again, can you give context and clarification as to your meaning of it?

Upvote 0