Wyoming man wins battle with EPA

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
By his own admission, sediment settles into his pond, so the water flowing out of the pond has less sediment than the water flowing in, so even if the flow rate has equalized (which is not guaranteed), he's changed the quality of the water flowing through. That could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what that sediment did downstream. Sediment can act as a fertilizer, so the potential for harm exists.

You would hope, but the neighbors could be several miles away. He could even be not aware of some of them.

Tributaries of navigable water do fall under federal control.
I hope not, I get my drinking water from a tributary of navigable water, which as far as I can determine is perfectly legal, I also water animals from another tributary of navigable water, as do many of my neighbors several of which have built ponds on their properties.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,069.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I hope not, I get my drinking water from a tributary of navigable water, which as far as I can determine is perfectly legal, I also water animals from another tributary of navigable water, as do many of my neighbors several of which have built ponds on their properties.
Unless I misunderstood a different article, water for livestock and livelihood falls under different rules than drinking water.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,712.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tributaries of navigable water do fall under federal control.

But as this one flows into an irrigation canal, it is not under that same control (if I understand correctly).
The EPA says Six Mile Creek runs into Black Forks River which runs into the Green River -- which it calls a "navigable, interstate water of the United States."

The Johnsons and their attorney say Six Mile Creek has long been diverted about 300 yards below their property into a man-made canal used for irrigation.

"There is no connection to the river," Andy Johnson maintains.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/19/feds-target-private-pond.html

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The EPA says Six Mile Creek runs into Black Forks River which runs into the Green River -- which it calls a "navigable, interstate water of the United States."

The Johnsons and their attorney say Six Mile Creek has long been diverted about 300 yards below their property into a man-made canal used for irrigation.

"There is no connection to the river," Andy Johnson maintains.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/19/feds-target-private-pond.html

It's pretty obvious from the google maps link I provided earlier that he's not correct. His stretch of Six Mile Creek might empty into an irrigation channel, but that channel then empties into the Black Forks River shortly thereafter.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,712.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's pretty obvious from the google maps link I provided earlier that he's not correct. His stretch of Six Mile Creek might empty into an irrigation channel, but that channel then empties into the Black Forks River shortly thereafter.
Yes, it empties into the Blacks Fork Creek, then the Blacks Fork Creek empties into the Green River.

But for the EPA to be concerned about a possible bit of sediment (dirt) contaminating the Green River about 60 miles downstream, really?
Maybe they should be more concerned about things like this....
August 2015
But since Wednesday, the Animas has been grievously polluted with toxic water spilled from one of the many abandoned mines that pockmark the region — a spill for which the Environmental Protection Agency has claimed responsibility, saying it accidentally breached a store of chemical-laced water.

On Sunday, anger over the spill boiled over after the agency announced that the amount of toxic water released was three times what was previously stated — more than three million gallons rather than one million — and that officials were still unsure if there was a health threat to humans or animals.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/11/u...ne-spill-environmental-protection-agency.html

Reactions: aieyiamfu
Upvote 0