Would you murder someone for wealth and fame?

Aug 24, 2008
✟18,742.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Not at all. Would I push the button to execute someone on death row? Maybe. Just saying, with as ill-defined a question as the OP gave us, there are a ton of options beyond what is being implied.

If I killed an intruder in my home I'd be okay with being rich and famous as a result.

The OP did say murder. While the thought of executing a prisoner is, for me, a physically nauseating sensation and something I would never do, it isn't strictly murder. Nor would killing an intruder in your house in self defence.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,967.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The OP did say murder. While the thought of executing a prisoner is, for me, a physically nauseating sensation and something I would never do, it isn't strictly murder. Nor would killing an intruder in your house in self defence.

Anyone who know who my Avatar is would know there are some I would murder without hesitation. But the list is short and consists of those deserving death (and all that the Christian not Heaven promises).

But it would not be for fame or wealth.

Upvote 0

Marek

Dec 5, 2003
Visit site
✟2,139.00
Faith
Catholic
C'mon guys. If no one answers "yes" to this question, I'll be forced to conclude that morality is objective and universal as I suspect it is.

The question was too vague to answer with a definite "yes." As others have pointed out, it really depends. If I'm guaranteed not to get caught and the person I have to kill is not my mother, brother, close friend, etc., then probably. Of course it would depend on the amount of wealth I'd be receiving.

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I don't honestly care much for money, and I am way too anti-social (social anxiety) to want fame.

But really, I feel the taking of human life (indeed, I am in limbo on the subject of non-human life, even) is abhorrent. And a morally and ethically based impossibility for myself (I simply couldn't do it in good conscience or faith, regardless of consequence).

In addition to that issue (personal it may be), how do we define a "murder"? Is killing in self-defense the same? Capitol punishment?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟870,498.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The question was too vague to answer with a definite "yes." As others have pointed out, it really depends. If I'm guaranteed not to get caught and the person I have to kill is not my mother, brother, close friend, etc., then probably. Of course it would depend on the amount of wealth I'd be receiving.

That's close enough to a "yes". I guess I'm wrong. Or maybe I'm right and you're just a bad human. Has to be one or the other, I suppose.

Upvote 0

MyRightEye

Feb 21, 2010
Nineveh
✟15,224.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
What if all you had to do was kill someone to be rich and famous for life? Would you do it?

Picturing gladiators? Yuppers, if it is a fair fight or an approximately fair fight or even tilted in the other persons favor. . . with out batting an eye. If its dropping the eyelids on someone hoplessly outmatched. . . . I'd probably have a hard time if they weren't there by choice. There by choice? No problem. Can I get double the wealth if I do take two or more lives at once? More fame for being artistic about it?

And before I get an static, I never claimed to be a good person. Honest, yes, good? eh, probably not.

Upvote 0

Bushido216

Aug 30, 2003
New York
✟22,562.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

That's a cop-out answer.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟870,498.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Picturing gladiators? Yuppers, if it is a fair fight or an approximately fair fight or even tilted in the other persons favor. . . with out batting an eye. If its dropping the eyelids on someone hoplessly outmatched. . . . I'd probably have a hard time if they weren't there by choice. There by choice? No problem. Can I get double the wealth if I do take two or more lives at once? More fame for being artistic about it?

And before I get an static, I never claimed to be a good person. Honest, yes, good? eh, probably not.

Gladiators died when they didn't kill. An important detail. Some may have gained fame after successive victories, but I assure you, fame was, at least, the second thing on their minds.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟910,475.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
What if all you had to do was kill someone to be rich and famous for life? Would you do it?

I wouldn't take it as a gift... well fame at any rate. I might take some money as long as it was not too much. I would definitely not kill someone for it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
C'mon guys. If no one answers "yes" to this question, I'll be forced to conclude that morality is objective and universal as I suspect it is.

Are you including professional hitmen in this assessment of its universality?

But I think that only the "ought" need be universal. A consensus isn't required.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Why would I want to kill someone?! If you want money in life you have to work for it.

You've clearly never had to cut a body up into manageable pieces for ease of disposal. Then clean up afterwards! That's hard work...

Not to mention the out-of-pocket expenses; incapacitating drugs, duct tape, a variety of tools, gas for travel to and from a remote location, plastic bags, cleaning solution... It adds up. Especially since even if you only use half the jug of bleach, you can't just bring home the rest. There's a lot of waste.

Plus, it's generally a pretty specific field. Not a lot of people are willing to do it, and even fewer are able to do it well.

So yeah, with the specialization needed to do it correctly, the operating expenses of the job itself plus the costs of maintaining necessary items for a a go-to contingency plan, and then the physical and mental effort required, yeah, someone would need to pay me plenty handsomely to kill someone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MyRightEye

Feb 21, 2010
Nineveh
✟15,224.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
You've clearly never had to cut a body up into manageable pieces for ease of disposal. Then clean up afterwards! That's hard work...

Not to mention the out-of-pocket expenses; incapacitating drugs, duct tape, a variety of tools, gas for travel to and from a remote location, plastic bags, cleaning solution... It adds up. Especially since even if you only use half the jug of bleach, you can't just bring home the rest. There's a lot of waste.

Plus, it's generally a pretty specific field. Not a lot of people are willing to do it, and even fewer are able to do it well.

So yeah, with the specialization needed to do it correctly, the operating expenses of the job itself plus the costs of maintaining necessary items for a a go-to contingency plan, and then the physical and mental effort required, yeah, someone would need to pay me plenty handsomely to kill someone.

Proper disposal of bodies really isn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be.

When was the last time you heard of a professional hitman being arrested? Given those two fella's body counts vs the number of unsolved bodies out there. . . . I tend to think there are more folks who are better at it than a lot of us would feel comfortable admitting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dinonum

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
Indiana
✟29,804.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Proper disposal of bodies really isn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be.

When was the last time you heard of a professional hitman being arrested? Given those two fella's body counts vs the number of unsolved bodies out there. . . . I tend to think there are more folks who are better at it than a lot of us would feel comfortable admitting.
Man, all you all have to do is watch a few episodes of Dexter and you got it in the bag! (pun terribly intended)

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP

Ah, unsolved bodies. The point is not to even have a body to remain unsolved.

You just want to whack a guy, yeah, that can be pretty simple. Just go for a bit of a drive, leave the gun, and take the cannollis. But if you want it to be more interesting, well, that's like going to a 5-star restaurant instead of McDonalds. Quick and messy works to fill you up, but it's not as enjoyable as fine dining. And there's a premium to be paid for that special experience.

Upvote 0

MyRightEye

Feb 21, 2010
Nineveh
✟15,224.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Ah, unsolved bodies. The point is not to even have a body to remain unsolved.

You just want to whack a guy, yeah, that can be pretty simple. Just go for a bit of a drive, leave the gun, and take the cannollis. But if you want it to be more interesting, well, that's like going to a 5-star restaurant instead of McDonalds. Quick and messy works to fill you up, but it's not as enjoyable as fine dining. And there's a premium to be paid for that special experience.

Of course, there is however a pretty vast range in the unsolved category. Setting up 5 star Vs McDonalds as two extremes denies the truth. . .. that there are all kinds of eating joints with all kinds of variety to offer. Which of course is my point, there are a LOT of killers out there and only the truly dumb and the passion crime-type seem to end up behind bars. Professionals . .. not so much, even the McDonald's grade professionals don't seem to get collared much at all (of course that doesn't mean they aren't having their ends tied by a higher grade professional i.e. "Hey Mickey, congrats on your 14th kill, Mr. Crimeboss wants me to give you a very special bullet to thank you for great work, on your retirement". That is, just because they aren't getting caught doesn't mean they are healthy).

Body wise, everytime I have moved a body there has been mess and smell. Chopping things up is like playing with your food . .. doesn't get the job done any faster, increases the window of liability and in the end there are just far more efficient ways & the body isn't apt to be found within the century or the next three.

Upvote 0