• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Would Appreciate Prayers - I Saw My Dad Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeedingMercy

Jun 11, 2006
✟15,135.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Howdy All,

I just wanted to ask for prayer. I just saw my dad for the first time in 3 years and it was a total accident. Due to manipulation, abuse, and significant history, we (meaning I with my dw's blessing) decided to cut off all contact with him and not allow him to see dd at all.

Fast forward to tonight. My wife is out-of-town today, so I decided to take dd (7) to see Zoom (great movie, btw) and then we went to Chuck-E-Cheese. We had ordered our pizza and my dd was playing games when he came in with his wife, her mother, and their god-daughter. He saw us and came over and acted like a bigshot introducing his goddaughter to me and dd, etc. I was trying to be reserved, but I was really cold.

Of course, he had to get a dig in about how "he wished things could be better with us, but obviously I didn't want it." Nope, sorry, I don't want to be abused, disrespected, and put down.

We finished pizza as quick as possible and got out of there as quickly as possible. However, dd is now trying to figure out why she never sees her grandfather and I tried to explain it best as possible, but it was tough. Now, she's pretty upset and doesn't feel great about today.

I would really appreciate prayer for both myself and for dd. We could really use some Holy Spirit peace tonight.

Thanks All!
Godspeed,
Ed

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi Ed,
I am sorry your run-in with your father was not a pleasant one. Pray and seek the Lord for this situation. I had a period in my life where I did not see my mother. It was a little less than a year. She still gets to me at times, but I am at a lot healthier now.

Upvote 0

threefootdog

Aug 20, 2006
✟7,612.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Bro,

I understand the feeling, having things unsettled or wounded and broken in your relationship with your parents. When the enemy comes and twists this into your face, remember that your relationship with him is a poisened well, that's why you don't drink there.

dd will calm a bit after some time, pray for peace. Allow yourself some time to reflect, and ask God what he is trying to show you.

I was sorta orphaned at 12, and now at 22 my family want's to be a part of my life, and it's hard. Give yourself time, and remember that Our Father is here always to talk to, He isn't like our earthly fathers, he will not withhold his love from us, he want's to speak his blessing on your life, you are His son, and He, your REAL Father, is so very proud of you.

A pastor friend of mine tells a story often about a man with a child, he says "The man had a child, a toddler. They call them toddlers because they are learning how to walk, and they will make it a step or two, then toddle and plop back to the floor. It always brings a smile to my face, and every Father will agree. When the child falls to the ground, a father doesn't yell at him, or tell him how dissappointed he is. Never! A father, smiles, and encourages the child, showering him with affection, proudly telling his friends, 'Look, did you see my boy? He made it two steps this time!' that paints a beautiful portrait of God in His affection for us. Even when we toddle to the ground, he smiles at us, and tells his angels, 'look, did you see that? He made it two steps this time!'"

Does anybody have to tell the father to encourage the child? No, he does it naturally out of his overflowing love. Our Father has much more love for us, even than this. He is the good Father.

I hope you get the love and peace you need tonight. I am praying for you, you are loved. Thank you for your courage in sharing with us.

~Bobby

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.