North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The world owes a debt to the United States for its leadership in the fight against international terrorism, Prime Minister Gordon Brown has said.

Arriving for his first formal talks as PM with President Bush, he said the UK's "most important bilateral relationship", was that with the US.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6920877.stm

Wow,this is certainly different than everyone was predicting what would come from Brown! :eek: :scratch:

Reactions: Gregged

Gregged

Ps 46:1 Our very present help in times of trouble
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2006
England
✟514,994.00
Faith
Pentecostal
It has been said for a while that Brown is a strong supporter of the US - that he wants to keep the relationship (which is good), but it's doubtful he will just roll over like Bliar (sorry, Blair) did and be a Bush poodle (which is also good!). Let's hope not! If he does, he won't be voted in again.

Bush will be out be soon enough anyway - but I'm wondering what will happen before he goes.... Hmmm

As for the phrase about the "world owes the US a debt", I think he's already been around Bush too long. I certainly don't feel that, and I don't think he speaks for a majority of Brits (certainly ones I know) either. Instead of an infamous Bushism, he's probably just made his first Brownism - he meant "the US owes the world a debt" ;) ^_^

Upvote 0

Gregged

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2006
England
✟514,994.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I think these politicians should really run everything they're going to say by the citizens before they say it. I think these speeches may be a bit different.

But then Brown (the man, not his party) was never voted in - so does he ever speak for the British people?

Upvote 0

Gregged

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2006
England
✟514,994.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I thought the king ran everything over there... you know King George III and the revolutionary war and all that.

Another one to add to that CNNN American video I think!

I'll leave you to be back under your Commander In Chief, the Great Decider :) aka King George Bush

Upvote 0

Gregged

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2006
England
✟514,994.00
Faith
Pentecostal
This guy is a BBC reporter :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/nickrobinson/gordon_brown_usa_07/

Camp David: What's changed?

That is the question that both the president and the PM knew would hang over this summit. George Bush answered it in a way that was designed to flatter his visitor, calling Gordon Brown a principled problem solver who understands the threat of terrorism, and describing him as a humorous Scotsman - not the awkward dour one that he'd been told about.

What was striking was that Mr Brown, while talking warmly about the shared history and shared values of the two countries, did nothing to return those personal compliments. He even referred to their meetings as full and frank - which is normal diplomatic code for an argument.

The signs though are that that difference in language reflects simply differing political calculations by both men. Gordon Brown wants to show his distance from George Bush, whereas the president wants to prove that the alliance with Britain remains strong, even after Tony Blair's departure.

On the substance, both men declared that they were at one on the battle against terror. Gordon Brown signalled that he'd make no announcement on the pullback of UK troops from Basra until after the publication in September of a report on the impact of America's troop surge.

For now, then, Britain and America's policies on Iraq are in step. After the autumn though, Gordon Brown has left his host, and voters at home, still guessing.

(emphasis mine)

Upvote 0

mayfly

Jun 13, 2007
✟15,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
On the substance, both men declared that they were at one on the battle against terror. Gordon Brown signalled that he'd make no announcement on the pullback of UK troops from Basra until after the publication in September of a report on the impact of America's troop surge.

This is good. The Surge is working, BTW. Time to celebrate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gengwall

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
MN
✟14,586.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Blair was the same way. Face it, being friends with the US is a good thing and a British Prime Minister can be wherever he/she wants to be on British domestic policy but would be a fool to not side with the US on foreign policy, especially the war on terror.

Upvote 0

Gregged

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2006
England
✟514,994.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Blair was the same way. Face it, being friends with the US is a good thing and a British Prime Minister can be wherever he/she wants to be on British domestic policy but would be a fool to not side with the US on foreign policy, especially the war on terror.

You're right gengwall... you having the UK as friends is a good thing... a very good thing. I wish you could get on with things by yourselves though :)

Upvote 0