United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello!

I am struggling with my work ethic. I honestly hate working, but I know I have to do it because that is what God wants.

I work retail on weekends and make $7.75 an hour. My parents want me to work five days a week. I told them I could see working if I could actually live off of my wages, but why waste my time working at a job I hate when I cannot make enough to live off of?

I guess I just see work as a waste of time, especially when the wages aren't good.

At the moment, I attend college, and I will apply to Dish Network, which may be full time, so balancing that job (if I get it) and college will be a struggle.

My parents love to work, so I guess it irritates them that I am so averse to it and laid back. It gives them a sense of fulfillment while I just see it as a waste of my life.

Idk if I am actually averse to working, or if my parents always complaining that I don't work enough turns me away from it.

My ideal job would allow me to sit since I don't like standing and not have to spend much energy. I thought about going into something with computers. However, idk if all jobs are equal. Idk if fixing computers for a living counts as being productive as jobs where you have to be out in the sun and toil.

How often should a Christian work?

How can I develop a better attitude about working?

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
You answered your own question.
I know I have to do it because that is what God wants.
2 Thess 3:10
For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

By the way fixing computers is work. It is what many do for a living.

Last edited:
Reactions: LRose613
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, six days we work and the seventh is a day of rest in the OT but in the NT we have obtained a sabbath rest forever, and then whatever we work becomes a joy. (Jesus healed on the sabbath, and the Pharisees accused him of working! )

So whatever we do, we do it for the Lord.

Keep studying and prepare yourself for the good works He wants you to do. I think knowing how to fix computers is a good work. You can help others.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,382.00
Faith
Pentecostal
When it come to work remember "whatever you do so it as into the Lord." "Whatever your hands find to do so it with all your might"

Laziness is NOT a biblical attitude. Hey I get it. A lot of folks don't like to work. I would rather sit around myself. Especially after 30+ years of doing the same job. I've worked since I was about 15. Doing different jobs until my current profession.

I know 7.75 is not a lot of money and you can't live on it. But you miss the,bigger picture here. Its only a start. Once you've gained work experience more employers are likely to hire you once they see you have been working a bit. You can apply for different jobs that pay,more and keep working at that computer job you want. Don't give up on that. Be persistent. If you,don't get hired immediately keep trying. Find a company you can work for that has advancement opportunities. You might start at a lower wage, but if you work,hard and keep a good work ethic and attitude you will have opportunities to move up.

The lazy and the poor worker with a bad attitude will never go anywhere. The opportunities are out there you might just have to find them and be persistent about doing so. Good luck and God will reward you for doing your best and working hard. He will not help the lazy.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why don't you like to work?

Although we have bills to pay. Work, ideally, is less about money and more about fulfillment. Take the money out of it for a moment. Imagine that you were independently wealthy. What would you do with your time? Why?

Personally, I love to work. Someone recently asked me if the business that I am in the process of buying would be my "last hurrah". (I'm 52 years old.) "I doubt it," I replied, "I love doing this and will probably be doing it when I die."

What do you love doing?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Christian vocation primarily to do with serving God wherever you find yourself, not fitting into any particular kind of employment.

I think it's OK to hate your job and to look for another one... or, if it's not a financial burden, to not work at all.

You focus in that last few paragraphs on being "productive". Do you honestly think that is what God requires from you? I heard in a sermon yesterday, thinking of yourself as a tool in the hand of God, or a "bridge partner" is not always the best way to think about your relationship to God. God loves you as you are, start from there and it may change your whole perspective. I know it is a struggle, we have such a utilitarian view of things from our cultures demands for productivity and results, but let me just suggest that's more a symptom of people making their employment a source of ultimate satisfaction or a sign of their "election" by God (the old "Protestant Work Ethic").

Maybe what you need is more time to yourself to find out what you really like to do, and the steps you need to take to make that happen?

... God will reward you for doing your best and working hard. He will not help the lazy.

It depends on what you mean by "reward". He does not promise some kind of tangible reward for hard work. There's too many cases I have personally know where that is not the case, and Jesus himself gives the brief parable of the unprofitable servants as another example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We all do things we don't want to do , that's why they call it work .. Attitude is key to anything and the one thing you can control . Compete with yourself to be better at every thing next time you do it . Don't look at others who try and beat the system . When you develop attitude it will carry over to every thing you do .. It works .. Line upon line and sinew upon sinew and before you know it you're a new person you'll love . You can do it ..

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
good works the Lord has called us to do....

Well I would say our primary purpose isn't to work...it's to love God.

That is the first commandment. The second is to love our neighbour.

I would really meditate on what God is calling you to do.
Nowhere does God call us to slavery, but to be His servants, yes. If you are good and faithful at your work, and treat everyone well, that is a good work. Its not about the money. The Lord is your boss.

If for some reason your boss isn't a believer, and slave drives you, you can quit and find another job that is more suitable or stick with it and show you are a christian under fire. Either way, make the choice.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My last job paid me $7.25 per hour and I worked full time (I'm married.)
When I was much younger and single, my job back then paid about $6.00 per hour(mid-1980's) and I worked full time...my little mobile home cost me $50.00 per week...it was one bedroom and one full bathroom. The mobile bordered vacant land and there was enough room to have a small garden (I had one.) I made out good on what I earned, I'd learned to budget and buy things on clearance, not to mention going to yard sales. Arranged rides with neighbors, friends etc...I didn't have a car at the time.

I'm of the mind that if you can't manage on minimum wage, chances run high that you ain't going to do well if you got paid more money. I know plenty of people who make double or triple what I made on my last job, you wanna know something? they got so much debt they be all stressed out about it, but they wouldn't be in that shape if they learned to be better stewards of they money but no, they want to have the latest things and live in big old houses that they really can't afford and have all them credit cards(that usually be nearly maxed out). It seem that the days of when people lived within they means is nearly gone today. People be getting themselves up to they necks in debt, buying homes they can't afford, spending more than what they make etc.

You can learn to do well on whatever you make, my mom always taught us children to give to the Lord out of what we earned and to share a bit with others, so that's what we do...now, me and my hubby do that too.
I no longer outside the home (that be a recent change) and we moved just around the corner to a smaller more economical place, it's under 1100 sq.ft and has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, the neighbors are friendly and we gradually getting to know more of them as time passes.
We live on my hubby's income, we made out good when we sold our other home, it was enough for us to pay off debt, buy our current place and put aside some money (investments). There be people who don't like what we did because we don't have a big place any more, I know some of my hubby's children are disappointed because there be no room for them to stay with us... but since they only come in once or twice a year it didn't make since for us to keep struggling to hang onto the bigger house.
The children know my job is gone and our income is cut in half, there was no more money coming in. and we didn't see any of the three children coughing up any money to help us out, so me and my hubby had to make changes and do it quick! He will be retiring in Feb. of 2017 and we have to be prepared for that.
It funny how grown children get all closed handed with they money and not offer aide to us. They busy buying new cars, going on trips, buying designer clothing etc...helping out they parents isn't at the top of they lists...so we looked at doing what be best for us.

Getting a good work ethic is important, do it now...work full time if you can. Learn how to budget, grow a garden, learn how to preserve the food you grow...this may seem outdated but it be good to know how to do these things because hard times will come when you least expect.
You can't count on others to keep you up, me and my hubby know that well enough by now...we saw the handwriting on the wall many years ago.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Live within your means and beware of debt.
I think parents these days teach their children to be selfish and obssess about money. Its the way of the world.

Read proverbs for financial advice as it was written by king solomon who was one of the richest kings on earth. But remember what happened to him.

If you are able bodied, you can work full time, then do. If you cant, then do something else. If you just want to be lazy, then dont complain. You will get fat and have health problems...but, thats your choice.

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You're right, it will be a struggle to work and obtain your degree but it can be done. Sounds like your parents are trying to help you get prepared for life in an adult way.

It really isn't a big deal unless you make it one. I worked full-time, went to college full-time, participated in Army Reserves one weekend a month and two weeks a year, played in a band ... and yet somehow managed to graduate with a 3.65 GPA.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Working was God's idea. Even in the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve were given "dominion" over the land. They tended it and ate from it. It was not until the fall that it became labourious "toil." In the last years, we as a society have gotten lazy. Indoor plumbing was intended to make life easier. Electricity, phones, indoor ovens (and eventually microwaves) - all were intended to make life easier. We no longer have to go to the market to get our daily groceries, etc. Everything is about easy and convenience. But look at what all that ease and convenience brought: lazy people, an "entitlement" attitude, broken relationships, the expectation that everything should be easy.

Look at what your parents have - they likely have a good home, a vehicle or two to get around in, maybe some items for enjoyment like computers, tv, maybe an adult "toy" like a boat or RV. They worked hard for all they have. Do you expect that those things will simply be handed over to you without the same kind of work?

My last job was lousy. I was ecstatic at first because I actually had a full time position, so I was happy because I am the breadwinner in my home. But it was not in my field of expertise, training, or even enjoyment. Although my title was "program support" in reality I was nothing more than a receptionist with a silent phone and only a little photocopying to do. I was not being challenged. But I knew that the job was God's provision for me and my family, so every day on the way to work I prayed "God, I'm grateful for this job. Enable me by the Spirit to be the best receptionist I can be, and to do it joyfully." You know what? I started to enjoy my job! I loved interacting with the clients, even if I was not working with them. I was so sad when I had to leave - but two months later, God gave me the job of my dreams! I am not making much more, but every day when I go to work, I know that I'm good at what I do, I do what I love and am trained for, and it does not feel like "work" (at least not always...)

I love the analogy of the butterfly. It struggles to emerge from its cocoon, but without that struggle, it will not be developed enough to fly. So while it sounds like you are in a place of struggle, know that it is a struggle that you need to have in order to be well developed and equipped for a life where you can really shine and do what you are intended to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
You're right, it will be a struggle to work and obtain your degree but it can be done. Sounds like your parents are trying to help you get prepared for life in an adult way.

It really isn't a big deal unless you make it one. I worked full-time, went to college full-time, participated in Army Reserves one weekend a month and two weeks a year, played in a band ... and yet somehow managed to graduate with a 3.65 GPA.

Mud, for some people, it IS a struggle. Just because you can do that, does not mean everyone will find it so easy. Maybe you have higher energy or whatever, but for some people, it is a struggle, and it is is good to recognize and empathize with that.

When I did my undergrad degree, there were some really horrific life challenges for me, and I also graduated well. This fall when I go back for grad-level work, I will also be working full time and have other issues going on as well. So to the OP, I get how much of a struggle it can be for some people, but I also know the rewards of the struggles. Keep your eyes on the rewards (find your motivation), and find people who can be empathetic and also encouraging along the way.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,382.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Thank you.

I talked to my mom about it and went away with a new perspective.

I am working on my attitude and perspective about work.
Hey good for you! If you can keep the kind of ability to change your attitude when needed you will go a long ways in findinding contentment in life. Paul told us that whatever state We find ourselves in to be content.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello!

I am struggling with my work ethic. I honestly hate working, but I know I have to do it because that is what God wants.

I work retail on weekends and make $7.75 an hour. My parents want me to work five days a week. I told them I could see working if I could actually live off of my wages, but why waste my time working at a job I hate when I cannot make enough to live off of?

I guess I just see work as a waste of time, especially when the wages aren't good.

If you are not earning a living wage then work is indeed a waste of time; effectively you are giving away your time for less than it is worth, and you could be making better use of it by training for a better role in the world. In difficult times there is a case for everyone working every hour they can, in the hope that between them they will make enough for everyone to survive. In less difficult times this is not a good way to live.

The secret - if it is a secret - is to find out what interests you and pursue that, either through college or other training. Find something that you enjoy doing for a living, and with any luck you will also find that the amount you earn increases steadily to an appropriate level.

At the moment, I attend college, and I will apply to Dish Network, which may be full time, so balancing that job (if I get it) and college will be a struggle.

Going to college is full time work.

Work is not defined by how much you earn, but by how many hours a week you spend on that particular activity. If you work full time alongside full time college then you have in effect two full time occupations. Your studies will inevitably suffer as a result. Some might be able to cope; most would not.

My parents love to work, so I guess it irritates them that I am so averse to it and laid back. It gives them a sense of fulfillment while I just see it as a waste of my life.

Idk if I am actually averse to working, or if my parents always complaining that I don't work enough turns me away from it.

My ideal job would allow me to sit since I don't like standing and not have to spend much energy. I thought about going into something with computers. However, idk if all jobs are equal. Idk if fixing computers for a living counts as being productive as jobs where you have to be out in the sun and toil.

How often should a Christian work?

How can I develop a better attitude about working?

I am not sure your attitude is wrong, really. You seem happy enough to study, and to look to the future. Not wanting to waste what free time you have working for next to nothing shows that you know how to prioritise; chances are you would rather study or at least work towards a future career.

Ultimately your life belongs to you, not your parents. It might be an idea to think about a 5 year plan; decide where you want to be in 5 years time, and then work out how to get there, and start that journey. It is unlikely that working full time for next to nothing will move you a single step in the right direction. Studying full time and working weekends is far more sensible, so carry on.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
You said you see work as a waste of time.

What is the alternative for you?

Be homeless or live with you parents and freeload?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The OP is at college full time and working weekends; that is not freeloading.

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Mud, for some people, it IS a struggle. Just because you can do that, does not mean everyone will find it so easy. Maybe you have higher energy or whatever, but for some people, it is a struggle, and it is is good to recognize and empathize with that.

When I did my undergrad degree, there were some really horrific life challenges for me ....

Obviously, there are rare circumstances, e.g. "horrific life challenges," that might prevent one from working. There might also be more rigorous degrees that might reduce one's ability to work full-time. However, the fact that working while attending college might be a struggle ... good, life is a struggle. You're preparing yourself.

I'm also struggling with the $7.75/hr rate. My son is 16, works at a grocery store as a clerk/checker/courtesy and makes $10/hr in Nebraska.

Upvote 0