Wondering why you are becoming so fat? It may be your church!

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I thought being fat was just blessing in abundance for gluttony is in the heart and not the size right?

Oh I know why I am getting bigger. I am blessed with no more smoking so things are equalizing out for the past year and probably coming to a halt and I am blessed with food consumption and hops and barley and fermented grapes. I don't play golf that much anymore due to price and picked up bowling which the beer increases...even though it is not on drunken levels. My new hobby will be hunting starting this year so maybe I will lose some pounds as I hike in the woods. I will be golfing a little but it may be pretty little as compare to past years. Keeping my hot streak in bowling going and as I am pricing and looking for my first rifle, I will have to practice shooting and plus I got the 'aerobic' activity of fishing on my Friday nights and maybe Saturday nights and maybe both and maybe throughout the week once this weather warms up.

Looks like I may need to consider a gym membership?!?!?

Upvote 0

Andrew12

A Knight of the Lord
Nov 4, 2010
Mainstreet, AnyTown
Visit site
✟17,283.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's those Baptists. They eat all the time....and that's why I love them.

and we love you too! ;)

I once saw a grown man run around the church and spear the organ. I think it KO'd him.

Now that's working out for the Lord. :p

:confused: where in the world did a man find a SPEAR in a CHURCH? .... unless of course this was B.Y.O.S. day! :p

A lot of religious folks don't take care of their bodies, since they're more concerned with "spiritual" things instead. The Bible says "bodily exercises profiteth little" so I imagine that is where much of their sloth comes from.

true, BUT have ya ever tried handing out Bible tracts at a park designed for walking/running. some of those ppl are fast! It was almost impossible to keep up long enough to witness to them! :cool::p

Upvote 0

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
:confused: where in the world did a man find a SPEAR in a CHURCH? .... unless of course this was B.Y.O.S. day! :p
I believe it was the day that they talked about the armor of God....obviously they had a spear go with it. Just makes sense. :p

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
true, BUT have ya ever tried handing out Bible tracts at a park designed for walking/running. some of those ppl are fast! It was almost impossible to keep up long enough to witness to them! :cool::p

No but I've tried to stop people biking on paths to witness to them. Same idea.

Upvote 0

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Malia-Belen

May 20, 2010
Florida
✟15,182.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, but studies also show that those who go to church are happier and if some Christian sources are true we are also the ones who stay married more than people who don't go to church despite the 50 percent divorce rate. Happy people and married people tend to stay alive longer.

If you'll look at some of those people who've reached their hundreds and beyond...it seems to me that they weren't the most healthiest of eaters. Not knocking nutrition or anything, you definitely should eat healthfully when possible but nowadays science can't even figure out what's healthy...milk is healthy, milky isn't healthy...only low fat milk is healthy. Whole milk for babies. Low fat milk for everyone else. Eggs are unhealthy. They have too much cholesterol. Eggs are a good source of nutrition. Eat 1 egg a day. Don't eat the yolk but isn't that the most nutritious parts of an egg?. Red meat is bad for you. Iron is more digestible if it comes from meat instead of plants. Fish is healthy. No, it's not it contains too much mercury. Three servings of fish per week. Need I go on. People trying to listen to science are probably going around in circles. Frankly, I've stopped listening and eat what my mom and my grandmother use to eat but in the right portions and I try not to go over board on the sugar which is kinda' hard for me since I love chocolate. Hmm reminds me of two arguments....high fructose syrup is bad for you, try one of the fake sugars...no they may cause cancer or headaches...me I'm a real sugar fan...now chocolate and wine seems to have won the spotlight as being healthy...I wonder what they'll say in 5 to 10 years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you'll look at some of those people who've reached their hundreds and beyond...it seems to me that they weren't the most healthiest of eaters. Not knocking nutrition or anything, you definitely should eat healthfully when possible but nowadays science can't even figure out what's healthy...milk is healthy, milky isn't healthy...only low fat milk is healthy. Whole milk for babies. Low fat milk for everyone else. Eggs are unhealthy. They have too much cholesterol. Eggs are a good source of nutrition. Eat 1 egg a day. Don't eat the yolk but isn't that the most nutritious parts of an egg?. Red meat is bad for you. Iron is more digestible if it comes from meat instead of plants. Fish is healthy. No, it's not it contains too much mercury. Three servings of fish per week. Need I go on. People trying to listen to science are probably going around in circles. Frankly, I've stopped listening and eat what my mom and my grandmother use to eat but in the right portions and I try not to go over board on the sugar which is kinda' hard for me since I love chocolate. Hmm reminds me of two arguments....high fructose syrup is bad for you, try one of the fake sugars...no they may cause cancer or headaches...me I'm a real sugar fan...now chocolate and wine seems to have won the spotlight as being healthy...I wonder what they'll say in 5 to 10 years.

I think it's wise to remember that it's not all "science" - and marketing companies will often isolate one property of a food that *is* in fact, healthy and use that to sell a product while ignoring or minimising the bad. Red wine is a great example. It contains Resveratrol and antioxidants!! Great! But the grapes from which wine are made from contain it too - without the alcohol. Or Chocolate. "Recent studies have confirmed that chocolate contains natural antioxidants" - great - but chocolate is usually eaten in the form of confectionary loaded with saturated fat and refined sugar.

I like the advice given in Daniel 1 the best. The word translated "Pulse" (KJV), "Vegetables"(NIV) - the diet Daniel and his men go on(+water) to make a point to the Babylonian King - is a Hebrew word which actually means "that which is sown" and by extention (my presumption) - that which grows from which is sown.

The best foods for us are unrefined, unprocessed - basically - untouched by man - and that can be put into the ground and yeild a crop. No science will ever prove highly processed white bread is better than wheat germ.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2004
✟11,699.00
Faith
Other Religion
Yes, but studies also show that those who go to church are happier and if some Christian sources are true we are also the ones who stay married more than people who don't go to church despite the 50 percent divorce rate. Happy people and married people tend to stay alive longer.

All I can say--get your daily dose of science from the articles, journals and authors themselves rather than the New York Times soundbites about them.

Like the other thread..

Article: our findings demonstrate a correlation between religiosity and obesity within certain populations, but it is important to point out that our methodology has major limitations.

Media: religion is making you fat!

Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
Maybe this is why? :D

YouTube - Obese Preacher Preaches from Chair

In all the years going to "mainstreme" churches, I've never once heard a preacher talk about gluttony and the misery it causes individuals, from loneliness to disease - but sexual sin is an easy fallback - likely, I sometimes wonder - do to hard up preachers who aren't getting any/much but obviously have it on their mind - I could reach no other conclusion listening to this woman's graphic descriptions.

Upvote 0