Wondering why you are becoming so fat? It may be your church!

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,006,833.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

AlexBP

Apr 20, 2010
Virginia
✟10,340.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Annecdotal evidence supports the theory.

shaw-belloc-and-chesterton.jpg

Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
I did read the article and I don't see any direct correlation from what's been said there.

However:

Churches rarely preach on nutrition or gluttony * . If they did, they'd likely lose a good deal of their congregation base.

It's woven into modern Bibles that "Jesus declared all foods clean" (it is arguable that this is an addition to the Greek text) - but also in practice - people pray for God to "bless their food" so that it may "nourish their bodies". But see, simply praying doesn't remove saturated fat, hormones, sodium and refined sugar levels, trans fats, artificial stuff etc. You can pray all day long over that fatty pork on white bread loaded with sugary condiment with maybe a piece of lettuce for your "daily veggie" - but that doesn't make it healthy and you'll still be eating dead trichenella worms and nitrates and alot of fat and sugar.

* Exceptions would be the 7th day adventists and I think the Messianics may as well - of the Christian churches.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2004
✟11,699.00
Faith
Other Religion
I must read the source material before passing any judgement--some of the lines in the article suggest to me that this LA Times author may be sacrificing facts for flashy language. Unfortunately, the article only mentions the lead author's name so the study may be difficulty to locate.

Edit: here it is I think: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20100975

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
We Episcopal types have to kneel down at least two times during the service and stand up at least four times. I bet that makes us the fittest denomination, unless the Catholics beat us with all that genuflecting.
I grew up Pentecostal. They got all that beat.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, the LA Times isn't exactly Truth Central lol.

What "correlates" obesity is: too much food, too little exercise.

So tired of all the ground-breaking studies that discover that simple fact :doh: Over and over. Duh. "Kids Who Eat Too Much Are Fat!" "Kids Who Sit Around All Day Watching TV Are Fat!" OH MY GOSH, really? Insert another :doh: here!

Put your kids outside to play and stop giving them Happy Meals 3 times a day. Has nothing to do with anything else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There was a time when I attended a church that taught the importance of being Faithful, Available, and Teachable... or something along those lines. The acronym was FAT. Coincidence? Maybe not. :D

bichos,evil,evil,plan,gatos,humor,lolcat-8e72544131b779de3a9f3ed4425c82f5_h.jpg

Reactions: SweetDee
Upvote 0