Women with revealing clothing in Church -My problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

immersedingrace

I feel like I've been dipped in Diamonds!
Aug 10, 2004
New York City
✟19,895.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Lord is my banner said:
I refuse to further discuss underwear in the presence of my brothers! :eek:

Prude;)

TreeOfLife said:
Ahh I see. I think. We'll drop it. I mean drop the subject. :blush:

hahaha...that's funny...

Upvote 0

Dee235

Jun 20, 2004
East London
✟12,716.00
Faith
Pentecostal
My take on the matter: You were probably wrong for giving into temptation and looking. However, she was also wrong. I do not remember where, but I think there is a verse that says we should not be the one responsible for a brother stumbling.

I can remember one of the guys in our homegroup telling us that he ended up sitting behind some girls that were wearing what our pastor calls 'low and behold' outfits. He said it was so distracting that he had to move.

Lastly, and I may get shot down for this. Remember not all people at church are Christians. It could be the enemy infiltrating, or maybe a young Christian that has learnt better.

I pray that your dilemma will be sorted out.

Reactions: KingZzub
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Let's say Dee is right and both of you are to blame to some extent. She probably is.

You are not capable of changing someone else's behaviour - but you can change yours. Move. Go and sit somewhere else. The idea of sitting at the front row is an excellent one.

You should be in control of your actions.

Blessings,
|ZZ|

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Oscarr said:
This one's a real howler! Cracks me up! ROFL!

very true though:) I learned something in the past don't say that you can't bare it God will add even more to show us he knowes what we can and can't take :)

Upvote 0

cruztacean

Oct 7, 2005
✟8,818.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
umaro55 said:
Well, I'm sure there has been a thread about this before, but this is more specific to my problems with it.

I can't help but look. It's part of my makeup as a man to look whenever a woman wearing revealing clothes bends over, reveals too much, and on and on. I can't help myself, it's very compelling.

The Sunday before last there was a girl in front of me wearing a very revealing dress, and she was bending over right in front of me every 2-3 minutes, it was very distracting to the sermon.

Who is in the wrong? Me for looking, or her for wearing the revealing clothing? I suppose we are both in the wrong, but can anyone relate?

And, don't you think women should have the decency to cover up, at the very least cover it up in the house of God?
UGH!!!

I once attended a funeral where the dear departed lady's own eleven-year-old granddaughter was wearing a midriff top, a miniskirt, tons of makeup, and heels so high she had to stick out her behind and her chest in order to walk.

An eleven-year-old? At her grandmother's funeral? And in the winter time, no less!

Her 35-year-old mother didn't have a problem with the way the little girl was dressed. In fact, Mama had helped her pick out her clothes. And was dressed the same way. Once Mama visited my home in a skirt so short that when she sat down I accidentally caught a glimpse of something I didn't particularly want to look at, and she had just come from church.

This thoroughly disgusts me. I'll confess here that there is some emotion attached. The woman used to be my sister-in-law, and you can probably gather from the tone of this post that we didn't get along very well. When I was married to her brother, over every objection she had, there was a certain name she used to call me when she talked to him about me. I won't repeat the name here, but by the way she dressed, I think it applied more to her than it did to me. I mean, I make it a strict policy never to wear a skirt shorter than knee length, even if I'm not in church, and she calls me a....

Sorry. I guess I'm still battling major resentment toward this woman who actively tried to break up that marriage and ultimately succeeded. I've made progress, but I'm not out of the woods yet. Please pray for me.

Upvote 0

Febe

Dec 13, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden.
✟4,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Lord is my banner said:
There are limits, and some current fashions among young girls leave almost nothing to the imagination.

I do feel sorry for you guys when you're in the "firing line" I have to say. After all, a church should be a place where you get a little break from the pressures of temptation that surround you at work and play. Is that so unreasonable?

Christian men need to control their urges, yes, and in general they do so admirably, but it must be difficult. Why should we make it tougher for them than it has to be?

Maybe we mothers need to explain to our daughters that it's pretty tactless to flaunt pretty much everything they've got.

Maybe churches need to mention decency and consideration for others in this area as a general theme occasionally.

Maybe an older woman at church could sensitively suggest in private to a girl that's going over the top, that certain attire showing a lot of cleavage, belly or rear, (are we allowed to say those words?!:o ), might be inappropriate for church.

Maybe I'm a prudish old fuddy-duddy, but I'll stick my neck out and say I think it's unfair for girls to "display" their bodies insensitively.

God bless you guys,
love Sue

(Ducking now!)

:thumbsup: Hear, hear!
This is very wise!:amen:
We should all help each other to consentrate on God, not temptate each other...:holy:

Upvote 0
L

LittleRocketBoy

Human sexuality is different for men and women. It is a biological and physiological fact. The wiring and programs are different.
Men were made to be the "aggressor" while women were to control and "grant" access.
In this script, for men to act "sexual" they would have to actively do something that would lead to sexual activity.
The script for the women would be to do things that lead to a granting of access. When you as a women dress and act provocatively(flirting), so are acting out your bio-script saying you want to have sex with men. I would even go so far to say that women who dress and act provocatively in the workplace are just as guilty of sexual harassment as men who approach women and act sexually aggressively.
Men have to control their natural aggressiveness, women have to control their natural provocativeness. This is especially true in church..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
cruztacean said:
UGH!!!

I once attended a funeral where the dear departed lady's own eleven-year-old granddaughter was wearing a midriff top, a miniskirt, tons of makeup, and heels so high she had to stick out her behind and her chest in order to walk.

An eleven-year-old? At her grandmother's funeral? And in the winter time, no less!

Her 35-year-old mother didn't have a problem with the way the little girl was dressed. In fact, Mama had helped her pick out her clothes. And was dressed the same way. Once Mama visited my home in a skirt so short that when she sat down I accidentally caught a glimpse of something I didn't particularly want to look at, and she had just come from church.

This thoroughly disgusts me. I'll confess here that there is some emotion attached. The woman used to be my sister-in-law, and you can probably gather from the tone of this post that we didn't get along very well. When I was married to her brother, over every objection she had, there was a certain name she used to call me when she talked to him about me. I won't repeat the name here, but by the way she dressed, I think it applied more to her than it did to me. I mean, I make it a strict policy never to wear a skirt shorter than knee length, even if I'm not in church, and she calls me a....

Sorry. I guess I'm still battling major resentment toward this woman who actively tried to break up that marriage and ultimately succeeded. I've made progress, but I'm not out of the woods yet. Please pray for me.

Praying as we speak.

Lord, let your Comfort and healing love just flow into every area of this situation.

Reactions: flaglady
Upvote 0

flaglady

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2005
✟64,796.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
cruztacean said:
I make it a strict policy never to wear a skirt shorter than knee length

Me too, cruztacean! Though I go even further. Once out with a group of pals when wearing my best business suit, we went into a pub for a bite to eat. I sat on a bench seat where my feet wouldn't really reach the floor. We took some photos of the occasion which I was shown sometime later. Imagine my horror when I found that the photo showed a view right up my skirt to my knickers! I have always worn skirts 34-36" long since then - never again! I still have the shudders about that photo!:blush:

Upvote 0

cruztacean

Oct 7, 2005
✟8,818.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
flaglady said:
Imagine my horror when I found that the photo showed a view right up my skirt to my knickers! I have always worn skirts 34-36" long since then - never again! I still have the shudders about that photo!:blush:

We might be sisters! I saw a similar one of me; flash of thigh and all. It was not (to me) a pretty sight. That one had hit just *above* the knee. Maybe that's what scared *me into longer skirts?

(ot) By the way, Flaglady, per your language of flags siggy, I read you loud and clear on the Holy Spirit teaching you things. He taught me to read music, and now I CAAAA-aaaaan. :clap: (/ot)

Upvote 0

flaglady

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2005
✟64,796.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
piano.gif

Wonderful! That's a wonderful gift! Hallelujah!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.