Wives, do you stand by your man no matter what?

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wether or not this is something that even should be done depends heavily on the definition of "stand by" and the definition of "no matter what". If stand by means unquestioningly agreeing with everything he does and "no matter what" includes blatant sin, then no it's not even something that should be done.

Upvote 0

Sandradee0303

Sep 26, 2009
Ohio
✟7,841.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After 12 married years (and 2 dating) of dealing with lies great and small, and being cheated on while in marriage counseling right before the 10th anniversary. NO, I am not standing by my man. I was willing to keep working on it until the cheating came to light. Found out 11 months ago. Decided 3 months ago that no matter how I twisted it my moral compass could not deal with cheating. Now just need to file and figure out how to tell my precious son of the impending divorce without trashing his dad.

I am the only person in my family (besides one uncle) to get a divorce! As far as I know none have dealt with infidelity.

No matter what? NO!

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If my husband is wrong I don't just pretend he's right. But I do not bash him in public. Would I stay no matter what? No. I have my limits.

My mother stayed no matter what in both of her marriages until her husbands left her. I don't know why she did it. I gurantee if she got married again she'd put up with anything.

My Grandmother stayed with a man who abused her emotionally (yes, the REAL scary stuff) and physically. He abused her children and sexually abused at least three of his grandchildren (I think there were other non-relatives as well). He cheated on her with numerous women and um..we think with men also. He once tried to push her and my mom (who was a baby) out of a moving car. He was a disgusting person on every level. She did leave once but her family was afraid of him and asked her to go home. I wished she hadn't listened. I wish she had left and never gone back. He tortured her until the day he died. Now she's 89 years old and is an emotional mess. She is the most loving, forgiving, sweet woman I have ever known. She deserved so much better.

Upvote 0

Created2Write

His Pink Princess
Mar 12, 2010
Oregon
✟13,703.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The entire question is contingent on two things: what he meant by "stand by" and "no matter what", and the type of marriage we're dealing with. There are a lot of negative examples that have been given, and so obviously the natural reaction is, "No!" And I think that's the appropriate answer. I don't think a wife should stand by her husband and take physical, emotional or verbal abuse on either herself, or her kids.

But in a healthy marriage, I think the responses would be much different. Like I said, I stand by my man all the time. I've even gone so far as to correct his mother when she's talked bad about him to my face.(Even though what she said was true.) My husband procrastinates, yes he does. But I'm sure as heck not gonna let anyone, even his mother, stand and say that to my face when he's not in the room. It just aint gonna fly with me.

Between him and I, if I feel he's wrong in something(read my thread "Approaching Year One"), I'll speak my mind. But I don't really see that as standing by him, anyway. I see that as "marriage".

Really, I think we need a clearer picture of what you mean by the question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
L

LovesToBless

I listened to the song, even though I'm sort of familiar with it already. Hmm, not that helpful. She looks rather somber and somewhat miserable while singing...and didn't smile until the applause at the end. I also don't have one of those sequined dresses...just in case your wondering about that too.

I did notice at the beginning the lyrics said something about he'll have good times and you'll have bad times....what does that mean? :scratch:

Yes, I do "stand by my man", but that doesn't mean I never disagree with anything he does. I like others have said, don't think we're called upon to condone sin.

AL you're being rather vague...maybe you just like seeing what we think of stereotype sayings, like your shot gun wedding thread?

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I listened to the song, even though I'm sort of familiar with it already. Hmm, not that helpful. She looks rather somber and somewhat miserable while singing...and didn't smile until the applause at the end. I also don't have one of those sequined dresses...just in case your wondering about that too.

I did notice at the beginning the lyrics said something about he'll have good times and you'll have bad times....what does that mean? :scratch:

Yes, I do "stand by my man", but that doesn't mean I never disagree with anything he does. I like others have said, don't think we're called upon to condone sin.

AL you're being rather vague...maybe you just like seeing what we think of stereotype sayings, like your shot gun wedding thread?

I like Tammy Wynette..I grew up listening to her music..But what I find curious about this song(that she helped write) is that she was married 5 times .

Love

Dallas

Reactions: Autumnleaf
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

spiersdodgerblue

Senior Veteran
Jan 31, 2007
✟18,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you? Should you? Did your mother/grandmother?
Your not being very clear even when asked, so lets turn the tables!

What about you???
Would you stand by your wife/woman "no matter what"?
Are you? Should you? Did your father/grandfather?

If you answer, maybe we would know more of what you mean by the "no matter what" part and we could reply better. ;)

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Your not being very clear even when asked, so lets turn the tables!

What about you???
Would you stand by your wife/woman "no matter what"?
Are you? Should you? Did your father/grandfather?

If you answer, maybe we would know more of what you mean by the "no matter what" part and we could reply better. ;)

I do.

My father does, my grandfathers did.

Although, I can't speak for my grandfathers and father because I don't know how they would respond under all circumstances. I just know how they live/lived. I don't think I would leave my wife for any reason other than in certain circumstances to strategically get her back at a later time.

Upvote 0