Why would some believe christians will offer sacrifices in the millennial temple?

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Peter 3:16 This is what he says in all his letters when he writes on the subject. There are some difficult things in his letters which ignorant and unstable people explain falsely, as they do with other passages of the Scriptures. So they bring on their own destruction.

Some people just can't understand Paul's writing.
Well, it's true that some people don't understand some of Paul's writing, but he quoted 1 Corinthians 6:19 where Paul says that your body is the temple of God. If, as you say, Bab is misunderstanding it, then what do you think Paul means by that?

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only temple in the modern Middle East that now means anything to God is the body of Christians, indwelled with the Holy Spirit.

Act 7:48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,

Act 7:49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?

When Jesus comes back, He will be the temple of God.
It will not be a building made with human hands.

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟295,861.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The only temple in the modern Middle East that now means anything to God is the body of Christians, indwelled with the Holy Spirit.

Act 7:48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,
Act 7:49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?
Yes, for the Church age, true Christians are the Lord's Temple. But this does not preclude another physical Temple, a centrepoint of worship in Jerusalem, being built. Many prophesies must be ignored by those who think there will never be another Temple.
Paul clearly speaks of the last days Temple in 2 Thessalonians 2:4. Again in Revelation 11:1 To deny these truths simply shows a sad lack of Bible knowledge or another agenda differing from Gods plan.

Reactions: Psalm3704
Upvote 0

Psalm3704

And He shall give you the desires of your heart.
Aug 10, 2015
✟7,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, it's true that some people don't understand some of Paul's writing, but he quoted 1 Corinthians 6:19 where Paul says that your body is the temple of God. If, as you say, Bab is misunderstanding it, then what do you think Paul means by that?

The 3rd temple will be ready by the time the two witnesses arrive to testify 1260 days.

Revelation 11:1-3
11 Then I was given a reed like a measuring rod. And the angel stood, saying, “Rise and measure the temple of God, the altar, and those who worship there. 2 But leave out the court which is outside the temple, and do not measure it, for it has been given to the Gentiles. And they will tread the holy city underfoot for forty-two months. 3 And I will give power to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy one thousand two hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth.”

Upvote 0

Psalm3704

Aug 10, 2015
✟7,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

3rd temple will be built by man per God's request.

Haggai 1:4-2:9
4 “My people, why should you be living in well-built houses while my Temple lies in ruins? 5 Don't you see what is happening to you? 6 You have planted much grain, but have harvested very little. You have food to eat, but not enough to make you full. You have wine to drink, but not enough to get drunk on! You have clothing, but not enough to keep you warm. And workers cannot earn enough to live on. 7 Can't you see why this has happened? 8 Now go up into the hills, get lumber, and rebuild the Temple; then I will be pleased and will be worshiped as I should be.

9 “You hoped for large harvests, but they turned out to be small. And when you brought the harvest home, I blew it away. Why did I do that? Because my Temple lies in ruins while every one of you is busy working on your own house. 10 That is why there is no rain and nothing can grow. 11 I have brought drought on the land—on its hills, grain fields, vineyards, and olive orchards—on every crop the ground produces, on people and animals, on everything you try to grow.”

12 Then Zerubbabel and Joshua and all the people who had returned from the exilein Babylonia, did what the Lord their God told them to do. They were afraid and obeyed the prophet Haggai, the Lord's messenger. 13 Then Haggai gave the Lord's message to the people: “I will be with you—that is my promise.” 14 The Lord inspired everyone to work on the Temple: Zerubbabel, the governor of Judah; Joshua, the High Priest, and all the people who had returned from the exile. They began working on the Temple of the Lord Almighty, their God, 15 on the twenty-fourth day of the sixth month of the second year that Darius was emperor.

2:1 On the twenty-first day of the seventh month of that same year, the Lord spoke again through the prophet Haggai. 2 He told Haggai to speak to Zerubbabel, the governor of Judah, to Joshua, the High Priest, and to the people, and to say to them,3 “Is there anyone among you who can still remember how splendid the Temple used to be? How does it look to you now? It must seem like nothing at all. 4 But now don't be discouraged, any of you. Do the work, for I am with you. 5 When you came out of Egypt, I promised that I would always be with you. I am still with you, so do not be afraid.

6 “Before long I will shake heaven and earth, land and sea. 7 I will overthrow all the nations, and their treasures will be brought here, and the Temple will be filled with wealth. 8 All the silver and gold of the world is mine. 9 The new Temple will be more splendid than the old one, and there I will give my people prosperity and peace.” The Lord Almighty has spoken.

Here you know why the antichrist and a bunch of poor surrounding Muslim nations will want to capture Jerusalem and the temple at the midpoint of the 7 years.

And here's the drought mentioned in Haggai 1:11.

Middle East drought a threat to global food prices
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/07/us-climate-drought-middleast-idUSBREA2611P20140307

WATER IN CRISIS - MIDDLE EAST
http://thewaterproject.org/water-in-crisis-middle-east

A hotter, drier Middle East climate could threaten stability
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...middle-east-climate-could-threaten-stability/

Feels-Like Temp Reaches 164 Degrees in Iran, 159 in Iraq; Days Off Ordered as Mideast Broils in Extreme Heat Wave
http://www.weather.com/news/news/iraq-iran-heat-middle-east-125-degrees

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟295,861.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Haggai 2:9 The new Temple will be more splendid than the old one, and there I will give my people prosperity and peace.” The Lord Almighty has spoken.
That verse is a clincher. In no way was the second Temple, even after Herod's rebuild, more splendid that Solomon's Temple. There has never yet been true prosperity and peace in the Holy Land. But it IS coming!

Upvote 0

Gideon

Nov 13, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟32,027.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
That verse is a clincher. In no way was the second Temple, even after Herod's rebuild, more splendid that Solomon's Temple. There has never yet been true prosperity and peace in the Holy Land. But it IS coming!
I tend to think of the temple not made by mans hands as "splendid." (Acts 7:48-49) Wouldn't you agree Keras?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟295,861.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I tend to think of the temple not made by mans hands as "splendid." (Acts 7:48-49) Wouldn't you agree Keras?
All of God's creation is splendid. But don't compare the spiritual with the physical.

Regarding a third Temple, God did want one to be built by Solomon and again by Nehemiah. Why should He not want another one? Only when the new Jerusalem comes down, will there be no Temple. Revelation 21:22 The fact that it is mentioned as missing from new Jerusalem, proves there WAS one during the Millennium.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul clearly speaks of the last days Temple in 2 Thessalonians 2:4. Again in Revelation 11:1 To deny these truths simply shows a sad lack of Bible knowledge or another agenda differing from Gods plan. googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-1431698694306-1'); });

Where is this temple found in the Book of Revelation?

Rev_3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Rev_7:15 Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them.

Rev_11:1 And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.

Rev_11:2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.
This is describing the court, not the temple.

Rev_11:19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.

Rev_14:15 And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in thy sickle, and reap: for the time is come for thee to reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe.

Rev_14:17 And another angel came out of the temple which is in heaven, he also having a sharp sickle.

Rev_15:5 And after that I looked, and, behold, the temple of the tabernacle of the testimony in heaven was opened:

Rev_15:6 And the seven angels came out of the temple, having the seven plagues, clothed in pure and white linen, and having their breasts girded with golden girdles.

Rev_15:8 And the temple was filled with smoke from the glory of God, and from his power; and no man was able to enter into the temple, till the seven plagues of the seven angels were fulfilled.

Rev_16:1 And I heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels, Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth.

Rev_16:17 And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.

Rev_21:22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.

God's Plan is revealed in His Word.

We are to always interpret the Old Testament through the eyes of the New Testament writers. Not vice-versa.

Upvote 0

zelosravioli

Believer
Site Supporter
Mar 15, 2014
Northern California
✟148,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Enjoyed all the input, and great to see discussion. I was sure Ezekiel referred to the temple as being forever, but i cant find that passage at the moment. I would have to think of this new temple as lasting a long time, either before the Mill. or into it, but it does seem to 'disappear at some point'. Maybe then the destruction of Herod's Temple as told by Christ to John, will describe what will happen 'again' to this temple (double full-fillment). Could it happen during or after the Mill?

What happens to the Prince if the Ezekiel Temple is destroyed?

I am thinking that the Prince, could be a forerunner to, or be the resurrected David, (David could be king forever, technically, if David was IN Christ who is 'our only' King, But that is getting too far off base) but that wouldn't make sense for David to offer literal sacrifices of atonement having been in Christ, as David is now. The Prince of Ezekiel must be Jesus, and He brings the offerings I believe 'of Himself' in the Cross, and by having 'all things in His own person' (i.e. the thanksgiving, freewill, peace, bread offering etc.). So, the Temple to be built will have to be a Jewish temple with strict Mosaic Laws and offerings (per Ezekiel for instance) but will it be occupied by Jesus? (that couldn't be, right). I read that the Prince comes to the Temple, the priests offer the Prince's offerings (46:12), but I have to figure at some point the Mosaic type of Prince turns into Jesus the Prince, (The Lamb) or becomes King at some point then, or is this not Jesus? It is harder to fit this Prince in here than a Mosaic temple! Yet the verses at 47:6-12 sure sound like Johns vision of the temple area.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ezekiel's temple is a symbol for God's plan of salvation.

Notice in Ezekiel chapter 43, the glory of the Lord comes in through the gate facing east.

Ezekiel 43:1-5
Then the man brought me to the gate facing east, 2 and I saw the glory of the God of Israel coming from the east. His voice was like the roar of rushing waters, and the land was radiant with his glory. 3 The vision I saw was like the vision I had seen when he came to destroy the city and like the visions I had seen by the Kebar River, and I fell facedown. 4 The glory of the Lord entered the temple through the gate facing east. 5 Then the man lifted me and brought me into the inner court, and the glory of the Lord filled the temple.

Obviously, Jesus is the gate through which the glory of the Lord enters in.

John 10:9

I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved". The gate to where? The gate to salvation.

Notice also that Jesus said "
This is where I will live among the Israelites forever.". This parallels what we see in Revelation 21 when the angel says "Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God."

Revelation 22:3-5 also says
No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. 4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. 5 There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever.

The description of the new Jerusalem in Revelation 21 goes on to say :

I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 23 The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. 24 The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it. 5 On no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there.

The temple in the new Jerusalem is God, and the gate will never be shut because Jesus is the gate. Jesus is also the "lamp" aka "the glory of the Lord". The nations will walk by it's light, which obviously is not referring to a physical light, but the light of Jesus. All of this is symbolic language, just as is the description of the temple in Ezekiel.

Furthermore, Ezekiel 43 says:

10 “Son of man, describe the temple to the people of Israel, that they may be ashamed of their sins. Let them consider its perfection, 11 and if they are ashamed of all they have done, make known to them the design of the temple—its arrangement, its exits and entrances—its whole design and all its regulations and laws. Write these down before them so that they may be faithful to its design and follow all its regulations.

Make the people ashamed of their sins? What kind of physical building could possibly make people ashamed? The answer is none. No building could ever make people ashamed of their sins. Only God can do that, by showing the people his offer of salvation and the perfection of his plan.

Notice how Ezekiel is told to describe the "temple's" regulations and laws, so that they may be faithful to its design and follow all its regulations. This is clearly a reference to following Jesus.

And lastly, if you still think Ezekiel's temple is a physical temple to be built on earth, how can God promise to live there among the Israelites forever (Ezekiel 43:7), when he's also promised to live with Christians in the new Jerusalem forever? (Revelation 22:3-5) Obviously they are one and the same, which proves that Ezekiel's temple is a symbolic description and not a literal physical future temple.

Reactions: ebedmelech
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a friend in my Bible study group who once told me that the temple had to be rebuilt, because the Glory of the Lord had left the temple and had never returned as it was prophesied in the Old Testament.

I reminded him that God in-the-flesh had walked back into the temple on His own two feet and He later left when they drug Him out of the temple and crucified Him.

Sometimes a change in perspective makes a big difference in Bible interpretation.

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟295,861.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yes, good discussion and still the usual confusion!
The thing is, before anyone can really understand things like the Millennium Temple, a reasonable knowledge of what God's plan is for His people is needed.
We know He chose a people thru Abraham, to become His witnesses and be a light to the nations. They failed these tasks and He dispersed them around the world. Their exile was to be for a decreed time, then He would take them back. Ezekiel 4:4-6
We Christians ARE those people, Israelites by descent and by grafting in. Isaiah 43:1-7, Jeremiah 33:18-22, Ezekiel 34:11-31

So all the Lord's righteous people will go to live in all of the Holy Land. Isaiah 66:18-21, Amos 9:13-15, Zephaniah 3:19-20
THEY will build a new Temple to Ezekiel's specification's and the Shekinah glory of God will enter it. Ezekiel 43:2

Upvote 0

Psalm3704

Aug 10, 2015
✟7,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where is this temple found in the Book of Revelation?

Rev_11:1 And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.

Rev_11:2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.
This is describing the court, not the temple.

What is Revelation 11:1 saying?

Revelation 11:1 (ESV) Then I was given a measuring rod like a staff, and I was told, "Rise and measure the temple of God and the altar and those who worship there,

Revelation 11:1 (NIRV) I was given a long stick that looked like a measuring rod. I was told, "Go and measure the temple of God and the altar. Count the worshipers who are there.

Revelation 11:1 (CJB) I was given a measuring rod like a stick and told, "Get up, and measure the Temple of God and the altar, and count how many people are worshipping there!

Revelation 11:1 (CEB) Then I was given a measuring rod, which was like a pole. And I was told, “Get up and measure God's temple, the altar, and those who worship there.

Revelation 11:1 (BBE) And there was given to me a measuring rod: and one said, Go up and take the measure of the house of God, and the altar, and the worshippers in it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zelosravioli

Believer
Site Supporter
Mar 15, 2014
Northern California
✟148,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
And lastly, if you still think Ezekiel's temple is a physical temple to be built on earth, how can God promise to live there among the Israelites forever (Ezekiel 43:7), when he's also promised to live with Christians in the new Jerusalem forever? (Revelation 22:3-5) Obviously they are one and the same, which proves that Ezekiel's temple is a symbolic description and not a literal physical future temple. (Last Seven)
I believe we are the Temple, that is all believers, but God can have two temples, the One now in Heaven and the body of Christ on earth (Yet they may be One, as He Himself can be in both places). And wherever His body is, there He is. It seems God works that way. And Gods Temple seems to signify 'the place were God comes into a close relationship' with man or individuals. That said the spiritual temple of God could also be called a literal Temple, albeit it is literal spirit, and not just spiritual words. Maybe the body of Christ including the believers and the Temple eventually will become physical like Jesus Himself became incarnate before, I don't know.

Nevertheless, it is not 'obvious' they are one and the same. As 'easy as it seems' to spiritualize the Ezekiel temple, good hermeneutic principles do not allow us to do away with a physical Ezekiel temple. I personally could see most all the 613 laws being fulfilled in Christ, but the context speaks of sacrifices being offered in a very literal sense, by priests, and with the Prince.

It is just too literal: "On the second day you shall offer a male goat without blemish for a sin offering, and they shall cleanse the altar as they cleansed it with the bull. 23 ‘When you have finished cleansing it, you shall present a young bull without blemish and a ram without blemish from the flock" (E 42). Again the the son of man here is to describe the "the design of the house, its structure, its exits, its entrances, all its designs, all its statutes, and all its laws" (E 43)...

So all the Lord's righteous people will go to live in all of the Holy Land. Isaiah 66:18-21, Amos 9:13-15, Zephaniah 3:19-20. THEY will build a new Temple to Ezekiel's specification's and the Shekinah glory of God will enter it. Ezekiel 43:2 (Keras)
Like I said above: the narrative of Ezekiel does not make it possible to spiritualize all the temple services and sacrifices. I fully support Israel, but as a believer in Christ I cannot justify spending one moment helping to build a literal temple in Jerusalem, which will be used to re-institute the Law and blood sacrifices. We should be busy building up The Body of believers in Christ and saving others, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟295,861.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
When I was immersion baptised, I received a verse: Zechariah 6:15
The whole world will be a different place, but especially all of the Holy Land, after the Lord's Day of fiery wrath.
Many prophesies say about a greater, second Exodus of all the Lord's righteous people. They will live in peace and prosperity and they will build a new Temple for God. There is plenty of scripture to confirm this scenario.
I pray for that Day and confidently look forward to helping in the construction of the Temple.

Upvote 0

wilts43

May 22, 2011
✟21,547.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you are interested in eschatology you may find the Catholic/Orthodox perspective on The Temple's destruction interesting............

After Jesus death, and the destruction of the temple (foretold by him) 30 years later, what would you expect?

The unique Temple of Jerusalem “where God's special presence would occur” is outmoded by the New Covenant where God dwells amongst men, in Spirit and in Bread & Wine in a new way.
Thus in every Catholic (& Orthodox) Church there is a “Tabernacle” (“The Tent of Meeting” that the Temple replaced).

The Jewish Tabernacle contained the Word of God in the stone tablets & The Manna;
The Catholic Tabernacle contains the consecrated Bread of Life (John 5:51) which is Jesus Christ, body, blood, soul & divinity, The Living Word and the Living Bread.
This is why Catholics “visit” their churches, to commune & contemplate in God's special precense.

It is remarkably appropriate, and significant, that the old, stone, unique temple was never re-built.

The same is true of the Temple sacrifices that people (including Jesus) went up to the Jerusalem to offer.
Every day in Catholic (& Orthodox) Churches the world over (at every instant) Christ’s sacrifice is offered in the Mass.

See Malachi 1:11
For from the rising of the sun to its setting my name will be great among the nations, and in every place incense will be offered to my name, and a pure offering. For my name will be great among the nations, says the LORD of hosts.”

The only pure offering is Christ. This is fulfilled.
The Temple sacrifice is no more, because of the perfect one now offered everywhere.

Upvote 0

zelosravioli

Believer
Site Supporter
Mar 15, 2014
Northern California
✟148,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Wilts, Jesus is not still 'suffering' or 'being sacrificed'. He is living, strong, Resurrected and Triumphant. He is alive and well in the Body of believers, in your Temple, if you believe. We take the cup in 'remembrance' of His suffering 'on the cross' (Jesus is not still on the cross). And the OP asks how do Christians reconcile the 'Temple of Ezekiel' with the coming Prince and the sacrifices it describes? (Note: do I see Catholics more willing to participate in ongoing sacrifices?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0