Why wasn't Imus been fired before??

SOAD

Why do they always send the poor? (S.O.A.D.)
Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am probaly going to get flamed for this and possibly even banned... He should not have been fired.
Many, including myself, dont believe Imus should have been fired. As I wrote earlier, I watched Imus every morning and now I have a void that needs filled.

Everybody (mostly) does agree his words were wrong and a suspension was in order.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟278,068.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Frankly, he shouldn't even have been suspended.

What they should have done is take his comment, set it to a rap beat, add a few more offensive lyrics, and released it for radio play.

Probably would have sold 500 million copies.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Rev. Sharpton Receives Death Threats

Imus may be out of a job, but it is Sharpton receiving the death threats.

Racism is alive and well and living in America. The basketball team has also received death threats.

Upvote 0

SOAD

Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Racism is alive and well and living in America. The basketball team has also received death threats.
Thank You for pointing that out. It is indeed a sad, and sobering reality. Although I did enjoy Imus, I have no sympathy for his plight. It is reprehensible that some attack Sharpton, Jackson and the Rutgers women's basketball team because of the words of Don Imus :mad:

Imus made his bed, you know the rest.

Upvote 0

fishon

Oct 19, 2006
oregon
✟8,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am probaly going to get flamed for this and possibly even banned... He should not have been fired. This is hypocrisy, double-standards and just stupid. Why was he fired when you see on TV Carlos Mencia or Dave Chappelle using racial slurs all the time. Alot of the african-american comic's act is "white people are like this and black people are like this." Or rappers who say a well known word or talk about smacking women or doing drugs. What about that Kramer guy whose name escapes me for the moment. He was heckled and finally snapped. If you watched The Daily Buzz and watched all the anchors cringe and squirm when they gave their opinion you will see my next complaint...Why do white people have to fear stating their opinion because someone will get mad. Its not like they are wanting to dress up in white cloaks and hoods. While I really disagree with Imus's choice of words I also disagree with the amount of hypocrisy flying around this. Racism is bad no matter what color sex or religion you are. There shouldnt be one set of people that are allowed to say something about another group of people and get away with it while the other group pretty much has to say "Thank you sir may I have another?" Lets just get rid of this kind of speech on both sides. If Carlos Mencia or Imus cant get good ratings or come up with better material because they cant be racist then so be it. Now let the flaming begin. Sorry to intrude. God Bless

BTW don't call me a racist because I feel frightened enough about posting this contraversial post enough already. I am not a racist, so God Bless!

serephim,
Be it know that if you were to be kicked off the form for what you have written here, many would leave of our own free will. You have stated your case and not inflamator. You ain't no Imus!!!! And, if someone flames you just move to the next post and pay no attention.
fishon

Upvote 0

RacismIsBad

Mar 17, 2007
✟3,260.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I said this in the last topic on Don Imus and I'll say it again in this topic. People need to stop focusing on the word being used and start focusing on the delivery and the meaning behind the word. Have you seen Lenny Bruce or George Carlin? There is always this jump to go after black comedians to make it appear as if they're the only ones that use racial slurs. George Carlin and Lenny Bruce also use racial slurs, and no one has a problem with it. Why? Because they way in which they use words is different and important.
George Carlin said:
There's a different group to get [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ed off at you in this country for everything your not supposed to say. Can't say [expletive deleted], Boogie, Jig, Jigaboo, Skinhead, Moolimoolinyon, Schvatzit, Junglebunny. Greaser, Greaseball, Dago, Guinea, Whop, Ginzo, Kike, Zebe, Heed, Yid, Mocky, Himie, Mick, Donkey, Turkey, Limey, Frog. Zip, Zipperhead, Squarehead, Crout, Hiney, Jerry, Hun, Slope, Slopehead, Chink, [expletive deleted]. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of those words in and of themselves. Their only words. It's the context that counts. It's the user. It's the intention behind the words that makes them good or bad. The words are completely neutral. The words are innocent. I get tired of people talking about bad words and bad language. [expletive deleted]! It's the context that makes them good or bad. The context. That makes them good or bad. For instance, you take the word "[expletive deleted]." There is absolutely nothing wrong with the word "[expletive deleted]" in and of itself. It's the racist [expletive deleted] who's using it that you ought to be concerned about. We don't mind when Richard Pryer or Eddie Murphy say it. Why? Because we know their not racist. They're [expletive deleted]! Context. Context. We don't mind their context because we know their black. Hey, I know I'm whitey, the blue-eyed devil, paddy-o, fay gray boy, honkey, [expletive deleted] myself. Don't bother my ass. Their only words. You can't be afraid of words that speak the truth, even if it's an unpleasant truth, like the fact that there's a bigot and a racist in every living room on every street corner in this country.
That's George Carlin, he won't get attacked. Why did Michael Richards get attacked? Because his comments were racist. As Carlin puts it, it's the user. Imus wasn't making a social commentary and he wasn't illustrating any sort of point, he was making a comment that was racist and sexist

As for comedy acts, the "white people do this/black people do this" acts are old and gone (the mid-90's). Dave Chappelle did a skit on "Chappelle's Show" where he did a parody of "Def Comedy Jam" with poetry. He was beating drums and said, "White people do this, black people do this! When white people's lights go out, they panic. When black people's lights go out, they plan it!" It's poking fun at how comedy used to be, and even taking most of that into consideration it was an attempt to illustrate differences and made fun of black people more. There was nothing racist in the comedy. The only problem with comedy like that is that it's stereotype comedy, which isn't as popular these days.

People like Carlos Mencia are trying to channel Dave Chappelle where they use stereotypes and racism to illustrate how stupid it is, like the Blind Black Klan Leader on "Chappelle's Show." Now I don't think Carlos Mencia is effective or funny, but it's not racist. It's all about intent, it's all about the user, it's all about the delivery. Compare Don Imus (or Michael Ricards for that matter) to Chris Rock, Larry David, Dave Chappelle, George Carlin, Lenny Bruce, there is stark difference in their use and delivery of language. Seriously, listen to Carlin talk about feminists. The reason Carlin is not hated is because his comedy is about commentary, not just making slurs against people. For anyone to just make slurs against a person or group, no matter what color you are, you will not be seen as funny.

Whenever I see topics like this, it seems people want to make it look as if there is a dividing line between white and black, and there isn't. The reason why people like Imus and Michael Richards are attacked is because they were being racist. Michael Richards was being heckled, he's a comedian, and when you're heckled, you better learn how to handle the crowd. Calling them a racial slur is not funny and it exhibits a poor stand up comic. This makes sense as Richards really is a physical comedian, so he should never do stand up. I saw Dave Chappelle live and he handled hecklers effortlessly. There was a guy in the crowd shouting, "Smoke weed! Yeah get that cocaine, do crack!" This guy was just loud and standing up while Dave was trying to do his act. So Chappelle turns to him and says, "Do crack? You know, <he makes a reference to having a sexual relation with a crackhead>, and that was the last time I saw your mother." The entire crowd went, "Ooohhh," and that guy just sat down. Chappelle's response, "He wanted to be in the show, now he's in the show." That was an audience with people of all colors, faiths, ethnicities, etc. It was funny. When Michael Richards snapped, it wasn't funny and people of all colors, faiths, ethnicities, etc. didn't think it was funny. They left. It had nothing to do with double standards. Richards intention was racist, it wasn't a joke. Stop treating this as if there are two sides, one black and one white.

We can get into rappers, but I'd rather not because it is more complex than people think. There a lot of black people that dislike the language and music made by rappers. But people also bring up rap knowing nothing about it. If you were to play rap music of the last few years, you won't hear everyone talking about drugs, at least no more than you hear about drug use in other genres. The most drug use you'll see is use of marijuana and alcohol. I don't think that's any different from other genres, but the other side is the sexism in rap videos, and there's a lot of that. Many rap videos of recent have people showing off their money and material goods, which is really a snapshot of America: materialim is good. And then they throw in scantily clad women. This isn't all rap, but it's the pop rap. And when you talk about pop rap, you're not just dealing with black people, you're dealing with consumers, which means you're talking about people of all colors and stripes. This is exactly why I didn't want to get into this, it's a market-driven culture of materialism, hedonism, and sexism. When I think about those three things, that brushes all of America and it makes sense why pop rap is pop.

Anyone can use the words, they're harmless and neutral, it's all about the user. George Carlin is a genius.

Reactions: praying
Upvote 0

fishon

Oct 19, 2006
oregon
✟8,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Give me a break! You don't think Imus has received death threats? He has recevied hundreds of them over the years.

I remember when Sosa and McQuire were about to beat Ruth's homerun record [no one cared about Maris], both received death threats. One black, one white. Death threats in America are an equal opportunity verbal abuse.
fishon

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Give me a break! You don't think Imus has received death threats? He has recevied hundreds of them over the years.

I have no idea, I was only commenting on what was posted.

I remember when Sosa and McQuire were about to beat Ruth's homerun record [no one cared about Maris], both received death threats. One black, one white. Death threats in America are an equal opportunity verbal abuse.
fishon

You think, did MCquire's threats reference ethnicity?

Upvote 0

SOAD

Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

fishon
I cant find any information that Sosa and Mcguire received death threats, is this true?

Same with the death treatts against Imus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fishon

Oct 19, 2006
oregon
✟8,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have no idea, I was only commenting on what was posted.

You think, did MCquire's threats reference ethnicity?

praying,
I don't know? Probably not. However, I doubt if it made him feel better that it wasn't because of his race. A death threat is a death threat.

I do hope they could catch whoever threatened those girls. But then I wish they could catch those who threaten Imus. Put them altogether on a chain gang in some swamp in Florida. Might be some interesting interaction.
fishon

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

SOAD

Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So which is it? Your posts are contradictory.
There is no contradiction at all. Although I dont believe he should have been fired, I agreed with the suspension. Imus even admitted that he was wrong.

While you are questioning my posts, maybe you can also analyze fishons and question him on unbelievable/unsupported accusations?

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
So which is it? Your posts are contradictory.

I don't think so, he didn't think he should have been fired but he made this trouble for himself so now he just has to deal with it.

Upvote 0

Macano

Jun 16, 2005
Visit site
✟15,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
All I can say is we've got problems coming down the pike that are going to make people desperately wish our biggest social issues were Don Imus's mouth and who fathered Anna Nicole Smith's baby, and who Donald Trump fired this week.

When oil hits $120 a barrel and the blackouts begin, no one's going to care about any of this.

Yep. I agree wholeheartedly. I'm amazed at what people get so worked up about. We are a spoiled nation that such trivial matters get so much attention and so many devote so much time and attention to such. Feelings got hurt. Stupid things were said. Life is tough, move on. Sorry, it had to be said but good god we are a nation of pansies. Why do people care so much what others think or say of them? Don't like me, call me a whatever, hey, do as you wish, live your life and I'll live mine . Is that so hard?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MORE85

Aug 14, 2005
bumpass,va
✟16,050.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yep. I agree wholeheartedly. I'm amazed at what people get so worked up about. We are a spoiled nation that such trivial matters get so much attention and so many devote so much time and attention to such. Feelings got hurt. Stupid things were said. Life is tough, move on. Sorry, it had to be said but good god we are a nation of pansies. Why do people care so much what others think or say of them? Don't like me, call me a whatever, hey, do as you wish, live your life and I'll live mine . Is that so hard?
insitutional racism against blacks in america isnt trivial,it is ignorant ppl who trivalize it.

Upvote 0

chemica

Jun 19, 2006
✟15,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I find it amusing that this even became much of an issue. I don't object to him being fired, but in the context of entertainment today I don't find his comments shocking at all. Have you ever listened to Sarah Silverman (or countless others like her)? JUST WOW! Granted she is on cable, but the racist things she says are truely shocking.

Upvote 0
S

serephim02

I don't think you're a racist at all. This really has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with business.

Of course he should be fired. His show lost most of its advertising revenue. When an employee devestates the bottom line of your company, you're going to boot him. Otherwise, how do you plan to pay his salary...with Monopoly money?

Ummm I didnt think of that....Good point! me dum.:doh: If you cause all the money to go away from a company than yeah you should be fired. For the comment my standpoint is kinda shakey at this point because on side I see it was a nasty comment but when I saw it I thought it was innocent and still kinda do after watching several videos of it on youtube ( I know REAL reliable but anyhoo) but he could of used any other words but he chose those. If your on national TV you need to choose your words carefully as to not upset large groups of people but you know as a whole we just need to kinda get over these so called Shock Personalities and realize there is more to life than complaining about 3 words. However he cause the network to lose however much money they lost so....if you are an employee somewhere and are insulting the customers and they leave and the business loses money you should be fired.

Sorry if that was poorly written I am kinda tired from work. running around with lots of bibles in each arm putting them out lol

Upvote 0

kathaksung

Jan 30, 2002
San Jose, Ca.
Visit site
✟8,266.00
Faith
Atheist
Why wasn't him fired before? Puzzled?

It's not for his racial remarks. It's for 911 truths.

Quote, "
American radio icon Don Imus disgraced, fired after threat to reveal 9/11 secrets
13.04.2007 Pravda

In a clear sign of its intent to reign in dissident American media personalities, and their growing influence in American culture, US War Leaders this past week launched an unprecedented attack upon one of their most politically 'connected', and legendary, radio hosts named Don Imus after his threats to release information relating to the September 11, 2001 attacks upon that country.

According to European reports of the events surrounding Don Imus that have gripped the United States this past week, it was during an interview with another American media personality, Tim Russert, who is the host of a television programme frequently used by US War Leaders, wherein while decrying the state of care being given to American War wounded stated, "So those bastards want to keep these boys [in reference to US Soldiers] secret? Let's see how they like it if I start talking about their [in reference to US War Leaders] secrets, starting with 9/11."

Unable to attack such a powerful media figure as Don Imus, directly, the US War Leaders, and as we have seen many times before, resorted to a massive media attack against him using as the reason a racial slur against a US woman's basketball team, but which has been pointed out by other media outlets was not by any means a rare occurrence for the legendary radio icon to make.

But, to the US War Leaders, Don Imus represented the most serious threat, to date, of the growing assault against them by America's media personalities threatening to expose the truths behind the events of September 11, 2001 and the Iraq/Afghanistan Wars; and to such an extent that another American media personality, Rosie O'Donnell, has expressed concern that US Military Leaders could actually imprison Mr. Imus.

From our past research of the tactics used against those threatening America's War Leaders, the likelihood of imprisonment for Don Imus would only occur should he persist in his threats to undermine their authority, and which appears, at this time, unlikely after the public disgrace he has had to endure.

It is expected, also, that the US War Leaders actions against Don Imus will have a further chilling affect upon other American media personalities questioning their authority, such as the popular US movie actor, Charlie Sheen, and who was one of the first to question the events of September 11, 2001, and as we can read as reported by New Zealand Herald News Service in their article titled "Charlie Sheen may voice 9/11 documentary", and which says: ........

http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/columnists/89728-0/

Upvote 0