Why was God appalled? Was He also surprised?

C

Christownsme

In Genesis 3:14-15 God foresees the need for redemption of man through Christ, according to "he will crush your head."

So the Lord God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this,“Cursed are you above all livestock
and all wild animals!
You will crawl on your belly
and you will eat dust
all the days of your life.
And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and hers;
he will crush your head,
and you will strike his heel.”

Jesus, upon rising to new life, also describes himself in the scriptures to a couple of disciples walking on a road, from the book of Moses and through the OT Scriptures.

I was reading through Isaiah and found this verse about how God was appalled that no one could intervene:

Isaiah 59:16

He saw that there was no one, he was appalled that there was no one to intervene; so his own arm achieved salvation for him, and his own righteousness sustained him.

My question is what does it mean when it says God was appalled - when he knew Jesus would have to come and intervene for us, known from the beginning?

Last edited:

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My question is what does it mean when it says God was appalled - when he knew Jesus would have to come and intervene for us, known from the beginning?

Verses 1-15 catalog just how corrupt humans had become and by verse 16, God is just appalled (to cause (someone) to feel fear, shock, or disgust). In this case, he was probably more disgusted than shocked.

Upvote 0