Why the obsession with End Times prophesy?

David Kent

Continuing Historicist
Aug 24, 2017
Ashford Kent
✟116,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
What is is about Matt 24, 2 Thess 2, Rev 13, or the everlasting gospel in Rev 14 that requires us not to tell people how to be saved in your POV
I didn't say that. I intended to say that it is important to preach the gospel to unbelievers first.

Upvote 0

David Kent

Continuing Historicist
Aug 24, 2017
Ashford Kent
✟116,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
As you delight in Scripture, you might delight in Watchman Nee's rare description of it from all Scripture, difficult to find online or in print. Happy searching if you delve into this.
What was the book called.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
What was the book called.
I don't remember though I read it in paperback long ago , and sometimes when I could find it pdf online too. It's part of what's called the white covers, by cfp - Christian Fellowship Publishers... (avoid lsm, living stream ministry or publishers - they corrupted the books on purpose so the leaders could exert more power , as if) ....

Upvote 0

David Kent

Continuing Historicist
Aug 24, 2017
Ashford Kent
✟116,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I don't remember though I read it in paperback long ago , and sometimes when I could find it pdf online too. It's part of what's called the white covers, by cfp - Christian Fellowship Publishers... (avoid lsm, living stream ministry or publishers - they corrupted the books on purpose so the leaders could exert more power , as if) ....
I once had one of his books, Sit, Walk, Stand, I think it was called.

Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

David Kent

Continuing Historicist
Aug 24, 2017
Ashford Kent
✟116,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Is not that what Jonah, sent by Yahweh, did though, in /to Nineveh ? He apparently did not tell them they had any way to escape destruction.....
He told them to repent.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
In Scripture he only told them they were going to be destroyed. No mention in Jonah's proclamation described of anyway to escape destruction ....

and although spared once, Nineveh was later destroyed anyway.

In the world today, most end up destroyed ....

Actually Nineveh still exists, but its known as Mosul. The city and the surrounding plains are home to a substantial number of Iraq’s Christian population, which is why when ISIS took the city in 2014 it was such a disaster for Christianity in the Middle East. Thankfully they are gone, but that was a genocidal nightmare. The Yazidis of Sinjar got the worst of it however, poor people, kyrie eleison.

The Oriental Orthodox churches (Syriac Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox, Armenian Apostolic, Ethiopian Orthodox, Eritrean Orthodox, Indian Orthodox) and the Assyrian Church of the East (and the closely related Ancient Church of the East) commemorate this with an annual three day total fast on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday following what in the West we know as Septuagesima, as my Coptic friend @dzheremi will confirm.

Urmia on the other hand, was destroyed, but the tribe of Assyrians from that city still exists.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,988.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There seems to be in Christianity a curiosity or fascination with end times prophesy. Those that more forcefully proclaim their prophecies are seen as more biblically knowledgeable and receive the attention of many.
Well you chalk it up to an unnecessary curiosity? Why do you do that when Jesus, Paul and John spoke about the subject. Yes some can go to the extremes but it seems you want no genuine discussion on it at all.

Some stir up fear in our hearts...
Jesus did warn that all should be prepared.

Is this what we should be doing with our walk with the Lord on Earth? Is this what He told us to do?
Sure balance is the key but we are to allow the Lord's coming teachings to motivate us to stay pure.
Jesus words are
Take no thought for tomorrow, for tomorrow will take care of itself, sufficient in the day is the evil thereof.
That just means don't be all bent out of shape being worried but take things to God in prayer.
It is not for you to known the times or the seasons which the Father Has fixed by His own authority
But he still wanted us to know some things just not to every precise detail that we might like to know.
Many will talk prophecy, very few accept correction.
Is there any need to stereotype people who talk about prophecy? I'd say not.

I believe that prophecy and end times obsession are a distraction that keeps us from concentrating on what Jesus really wants us to do.
Can be if one isn't balanced with it all not dealing with everything else Jesus says we're to do or mediate on.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,988.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thus while we should not ignore the end times, it is more likely that death will catch up with us first, so we need to prepare ourselves for both events as they are equally inevitable, and the way we do that is the largely, perhaps entirely, the same, for each scenario.
True. People can think I've got a few years before the rapture or the Lord's coming, not realizing their day of leaving this earth might be now.
But when you have congregations talking about the end of the world every week as the predominant subject, that is evidence of a church which has gone off course.
I don't see that happening in most of all congregations though. I notice some big online ministries perhaps are over too much into it.....and I wonder why? Every news item that takes place shouldn't be looked upon as a sign but some do fall into that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
True. People can think I've got a few years before the rapture or the Lord's coming, not realizing their day of leaving this earth might be now.
Yes exactly. My brother's excuse for becoming apostate is because being led to believe the rapture was around the corner, he didn't bother preparing for the future through education etc. I said bro, at any time you could've been taken out by a bus.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

I don't see that happening in most of all congregations though. I notice some big online ministries perhaps are over too much into it.....and I wonder why? Every news item that takes place shouldn't be looked upon as a sign but some do fall into that.

Indeed, fortunately this problem seems confined to a certain category of non-denominational churches, megachurches and new aliturgical denominations which tend to be some combination of evangelical, charismatic or restorationist, frequently with a heavy emphasis on some form of dispensationalist eschatology. You would not encounter this at a Lutheran or Anglican church or a traditional Congregationalchurch like Park Street Church in Boston, or a liturgical Methodist church like the Epworth Chapel on the Green in Boise, Idaho.

Upvote 0

David Kent

Continuing Historicist
Aug 24, 2017
Ashford Kent
✟116,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Actually Nineveh still exists, but its known as Mosul. The city and the surrounding plains are home to a substantial number of Iraq’s Christian population, which is why when ISIS took the city in 2014 it was such a disaster for Christianity in the Middle East. Thankfully they are gone, but that was a genocidal nightmare. The Yazidis of Sinjar got the worst of it however, poor people, kyrie eleison.

The Oriental Orthodox churches (Syriac Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox, Armenian Apostolic, Ethiopian Orthodox, Eritrean Orthodox, Indian Orthodox) and the Assyrian Church of the East (and the closely related Ancient Church of the East) commemorate this with an annual three day total fast on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday following what in the West we know as Septuagesima, as my Coptic friend @dzheremi will confirm.

Urmia on the other hand, was destroyed, but the tribe of Assyrians from that city still exists.
My cousin has a Turkish wife from one of the minorities. She says her people are Armenian or Syriac, but the Turks call them Assyrian. They are not allowed to speak their own language as the Turks say they don't have minorities.

Strangely, Xenophon in his Cyropaedia calls the Babylonians ,Assyrians all the way through.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,988.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Indeed, fortunately this problem seems confined to a certain category of non-denominational churches, megachurches and new aliturgical denominations which tend to be some combination of evangelical, charismatic or restorationist, frequently with a heavy emphasis on some form of dispensationalist eschatology. You would not encounter this at a Lutheran or Anglican church or a traditional Congregationalchurch like Park Street Church in Boston, or a liturgical Methodist church like the Epworth Chapel on the Green in Boise, Idaho.
I think there can be a ditch on both sides of the road. One can put too much emphasis on it setting aside things which provide spiritual growth or they never talk about the Lord's return at all. Jesus did, Paul the Apostle did, and Peter and John as well. The coming of the Lord teaching was to be at least a part of exhorting the saints.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Actually Nineveh still exists, but its known as Mosul.

Are you sure about that? There is the fact that Mosul is the capital of the Nineveh governate, but I hadn't heard that Mosul is Nineveh renamed. The Assyrians/Syriacs seem to just call it Mosul in their own language, if this lovely song by Iranian Assyrian legend Evin Aghassi is anything to go by:

It begins: "b'leleh ainee cheemelee, Mosul o Arbil khizyelee matwateh d'Atourayeh...", which loosely translated means "In the night, I close my eyes and see Mosul and Arbil, villages of the Assyrians..." (Aside: the song subsequently mentions other locations such as Alqosh and Kirkuk; Kirkuk is an interesting one, because as far as I can tell, modern Kirkuk is not really known for being heavily populated with Assyrians, though it was within the region known in ancient Syriac sources as Beth Garmai, which was obviously full of Assyrians/Syriacs as basically all of what is now Iraq was if we go back far enough, while Alqosh is of course ground zero for the creation of the Chaldean Catholic Church, whose members often prefer the ethnic designation "Chaldean"/Kaldaya to Assyrian or Syriac).

The city and the surrounding plains are home to a substantial number of Iraq’s Christian population, which is why when ISIS took the city in 2014 it was such a disaster for Christianity in the Middle East.

Indeed. I remember at the time there was a meme-type photo being shared online among the Christians I know that stated that when ISIS took Mosul in 2014, it marked the first time in over 1,600 years that church bells had not run out in the city to announce the weekly celebration of the liturgy. People who have no connection to the region often don't realize how incredibly ancient Christianity is in this area of the Middle East in particular. The Assyrians/Syriacs are often credited with being the "first Christians", and while that is debatable insofar as it can be claimed that the first converts would've been ethnic Jews (though still Aramaic-speaking, as the Jews of the Holy Land had switched to speaking that language as their native language some centuries before the incarnation of our Lord), it's not really debatable in the sense that the people of that ethnic group were more or less completely Christianized by the fourth century AD, while other early Christian people such as the Copts had enough who remained in the old belief system that the last dated graffiti in the Ancient Egyptian writing system (which was by a certain point a distinctive mark of paganism, as the Coptic Christians did not use it, and there are actually treatises written in Coptic of considerable antiquity stating so outright, and discouraging the learning or use of it among Christians on account of its ties to the pre-Christian religion of Egypt) post-dates Theodosius' closure of the temples by a few years, and Justinian's closure of the specific temple it was found in (at Philae) by several more decades. There's also the fact that laws were passed in the wake of the Theodosian decrees that criminalized the disturbing of pagan altars or the harassing of known pagans by Christians on account of the pagans' religious practice (IIRC, Ariel G. Lopez's short 2013 academic book Shenoute of Atripe and the Uses of Poverty goes into the political environment surrounding Christian-Pagan relations in the wake of the closure of the temples, if anyone is curious; the violence of that time is a large part of the legend -- or, as I believe Lopez proves it to be, the myth -- surrounding St. Shenouda himself, which is itself why he is often reviled in older-yet-still-modern western writings on him, such as in the rather unfortunate introduction to the most popular English translation of his Vita by his disciple St. Besa/Abba Wisa, published by Cistersian Publications in 1983).

Thankfully they are gone, but that was a genocidal nightmare. The Yazidis of Sinjar got the worst of it however, poor people, kyrie eleison.

Indeed they did. Lord have mercy. May they, the Christians, the Mandaeans, and the other religious minorities of Iraq find peace and security, as that is what the entire society needs (it's just that the violence hits the minorities especially hard, for obvious reasons related to demographics and different rates of emigration as a result of said violence and instability).

Yes. We usually refer to this in English in the Coptic Orthodox Church as "Jonah's Fast" or "Nineveh's Fast" (as here), while I believe the Syriacs and related peoples of all churches (e.g., Nestorians, Syro-Malabar Indians, Chaldeans, etc.) refer to it in English as "The Rogation of the Ninevites" (as here), because they're fancier and better at English than we are. :)

I'm not sure how/if it relates to ancient Urmia, but there's still the city of Urmia in Iran, which is the most populous city in the West Azerbaijan province in that country, and the tenth largest city in Iran overall.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums