✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOL.

Can you explain, please, the first "strike" against her? How, is writing children's book, a strike against a person, in your opinion?

It's not relevant, what you think, about the books, or the writer, no. There are people, who demonise Shakespeare, also. The point, is how out of touch, someone must be, with youth culture, pop culture, modern culture itself, to not even recognise, the name of one of the most famous living people.
Context, context, context. The strikes against her are the reasons I don't know who she is. And it's relevant what I thionk of the books because if I object to the content the author will be unfamiliar to me.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would say it doesn't really have to do with keeping up with "youth culture" and more to do with keeping up with modern culture. Or, more precisely, modern literature. Whether you like an author's material does not really excuse ignorance of knowledge on who it is.
There is no reason for me to be familiar with someone who writes about witchcraft. None whatsoever

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOL.

Which is worse, writing a children's book, or writing a book about witchcraft?

You do realize that when your grandkids get old enough, and read the books you outlawed, they will realize there was nothing wrong with them. Then they will wonder what other untruths you told them, and explore for themselves.

This is the road nearly every atheist starts down in their journey to non-belief.

"Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it."

Prov 22:6 (NASB)

That means that my children being trained properly will not be allowing their children to read books about witchcraft

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say it doesn't really have to do with keeping up with "youth culture" and more to do with keeping up with modern culture. Or, more precisely, modern literature. Whether you like an author's material does not really excuse ignorance of knowledge on who it is.

Why do I have to read Harry Potter to keep up with modern culture?

For that matter, why do I have to keep up with modern culture?

Ecclesiastes 12:11-12 said:
The words of the wise are like goads, and like nails firmly fixed are the collected sayings; they are given by one Shepherd. My son, beware of anything beyond these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

Upvote 0

ThinkForYourself

Nov 8, 2013
✟2,284.00
Faith
Atheist
"Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it."

Prov 22:6 (NASB)

That means that my children being trained properly will not be allowing their children to read books about witchcraft

So you follow the bible when it comes to rearing children.

I feel sorry for your grand kids. If they get unruly, it will suck to have their own grandfather help stone them to death (Deuteronomy 21).

Yeah, a book that calls for stoning your grand child to death is all good. But a book that contains witchcraft? OH MY GOSH!!! EVIL!!!! SATANIC!!!!

You demonstrably lack a moral compass, and are a perfect example for demonstrating secular morality is superior to biblical morality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You are quite obviously totally disconnected from today's youth. I don't think I know a single college student who lives a lifestyle of "PARTY LOLS", "DRUUUGS ALCOHOL YAY" et cetera in the way that you describe. Yeah, there's some drinking, but there's a hell of a lot more studying and thinking going on. I have frequent discussions with people on issues including philosophy, economics, politics, science and religion; there's nobody just living for their next hit, or whatever.

In my past experience, it all depends on which college campus you're on.

Back in my college days, I went to parties on the Baldwin Wallace campus...and you'd think you were at one of my parent's dinner parties...people sitting around, quietly enjoying a drink while having mellow conversation...and then, the following weekend, go to a party on the University of Akron campus, and it resembled something out of a National Lampoon movie.

I typically preferred the former as I am not, and was not, that much of a drinker or a partier...I was more like the have a glass or two of wine (and a couple times a year, maybe a puff or two off of an occasional joint) and kick back and chill/chat with folks.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I feel sorry for your grand kids. If they get unruly, it will suck to have their own grandfather help stone them to death (Deuteronomy 21).

Actually, that's a ceremonial law given to the Nation of Israel, not to the Church.

The purpose of the ceremonial laws was to remind the Jews that they were a set apart people from which the Messiah would come.

Not only are we not Jews, not only does the Nation of Israel no longer exist, but Christ the Messiah, the One ceremonial laws, such as stoning rebellious children, has already come, died, and been raised. Therefore, the conditions under which those laws were given have been fulfilled. Thus, nullifying them.

Both Romans and Hebrews explain this, if you'd like to educate yourself on this issue.

Nice try, though.

Here's a little something to help you next time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r2m_cffRjI

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yeah, a book that calls for stoning your grand child to death is all good. But a book that contains witchcraft? OH MY GOSH!!! EVIL!!!! SATANIC!!!!

You demonstrably lack a moral compass, and are a perfect example for demonstrating secular morality is superior to biblical morality.
It's always interesting when our atheist friends use Scripture for an argument

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Context, context, context. The strikes against her are the reasons I don't know who she is. And it's relevant what I thionk of the books because if I object to the content the author will be unfamiliar to me.

Such nonsense. Anyone, not living under a cultural rock, knows who J.K Rowling is, regardless, as to whether they have ever read one of her books, seen a Harry Potter movie, or gone to the amusement parks. People know who Oprah, Prince Charles, Brad Pitt & the Obamas are, regardless, of what they think of those people. You can't have an intelligent & informed, opinion, of her books, anyway, if you had no clue, who she was, and have never read them.

How old, are your grandchildren?

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Such nonsense. Anyone, not living under a cultural rock, knows who J.K Rowling is, regardless, as to whether they have ever read one of her books, seen a Harry Potter movie, or gone to the amusement parks. People know who Oprah, Prince Charles, Brad Pitt & the Obamas are, regardless, of what they think of those people. You can't have an intelligent & informed, opinion, of her books, anyway, if you had no clue, who she was, and have never read them.

How old, are your grandchildren?
There isn't much reason for someone my age to know anything about a children's book author who writes about witchcraft. And for the record, I just recently went to an amusement park and there was no mention of K.J. Rowling. Oprah, I know enough that she disgusts me, as well as Prince Charles and the Obamas. Brad Pitt I give a pass because he played a great role in The Devil's Own

By the way, did you understand what the person was trying to say who brought up K.J. Rowling because I don't have a clue what he meant. I thought maybe it would make sense if I knew who this Rowling person is but finding out hasn't clarified his post at all

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThinkForYourself

Nov 8, 2013
✟2,284.00
Faith
Atheist
It's always interesting when our atheist friends use Scripture for an argument
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm no longer surprised by the fact that I know more about the bible than most Christian, or that often atheists know more about the bible than Christians. It seems a lot of Christians haven't bothered to read it cover to cover. As it turns out, I have, so I can help you. :)

'I'm guessing you haven't read this part, so I helped you out and copied it. I even bolded the important part at the end to help you (No need to thank me)

Deuteronomy 21:18-21

18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I see. She has two strikes against her. She writes children's books, and those books are about witchcraft. I have no children in my home and I can assure you my grandchildren do not engage in witchcraft even in books

“You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.”
― Madeleine L'Engle

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm no longer surprised by the fact that I know more about the bible than most Christian, or that often atheists know more about the bible than Christians. It seems a lot of Christians haven't bothered to read it cover to cover. As it turns out, I have, so I can help you. :)

'I'm guessing you haven't read this part, so I helped you out and copied it. I even bolded the important part at the end to help you (No need to thank me)

Deuteronomy 21:18-21

18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

You obviously have no understanding of the Christian faith. There is more to it than reading the Bible.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,435.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You obviously have no understanding of the Christian faith. There is more to it than reading the Bible.

So when Christians tell people who ask about Christianity "Just read the bible" they are giving false information? They cannot learn about Christianity that way?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Interesting that you say you know more about the Bible than most Christians, but then turn around and insist that Deuteronomy 21:18-21 is a command to Christians, thus, showing you don't know the Bible at all.

Do you know the difference between the Old and New Covenant? Do you know the difference between ceremonial and moral laws?

The purpose of the ceremonial laws was to remind the Jews that they were a set apart people from which the Messiah would come.

Not only are we not Jews, not only does the Nation of Israel no longer exist, but Christ the Messiah, the One ceremonial laws, such as stoning rebellious children, has already come, died, and been raised. Therefore, the conditions under which those laws were given have been fulfilled. Thus, nullifying them.

Both Romans and Hebrews explain this, if you'd like to educate yourself on this issue.

Nice try, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r2m_cffRjI

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
So when Christians tell people who ask about Christianity "Just read the bible" they are giving false information? They cannot learn about Christianity that way?

Yes they are. There is more too it than that.The bible itself was written over a period of thousands of years. It is like tossing a book on rocket science into the hands of a five year old and expect them to build a rocket in my opinion. Trying to become a Christian by bible reading alone is dangerous and it is why we have such weird, bizarre, and outright heretical branches of Christianity running wild.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,435.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Yes they are. There is more too it than that.The bible itself was written over a period of thousands of years. It is like tossing a book on rocket science into the hands of a five year old and expect them to build a rocket in my opinion. Trying to become a Christian by bible reading alone is dangerous and it is why we have such weird, bizarre, and outright heretical branches of Christianity running wild.

So what extra steps do you think are needed in order to correctly understand Christianity?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,435.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Interesting that you say you know more about the Bible than most Christians, but then turn around and insist that Deuteronomy 21:18-21 is a command to Christians, thus, showing you don't know the Bible at all.

Do you know the difference between the Old and New Covenant? Do you know the difference between ceremonial and moral laws?

Nice try, though.

Stoning rebellious children is a ceremonial law? Exactly what ceremony was that law intended for?

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't know about giving false information, but it is pretty lazy of them! ;)

Conversation is needed to me anyway, and how people live their life's is important too. Depending on where the conversation is going I may recommend certain portions of the bible to get things rolling.

If they aren't interested in talking...they can read the bible.

I think the image of how you live the perfect life is rather stupid, but in some circles it is popular. Also, so many Christians seem to me rather superstitious. Everything is so black and white, and they look down their noses at people that can't see it that way. lol not exactly humility at its finest!

Although, I see people on the opposite train of though doing pretty much the same thing. Telling people they are stupid for believing isn't much better than the Christians telling people they are stupid for not believing.

Tolerance today is rather a joke. Diversity? lol please! Unless the definitions of the words have changed...the media gives to much voice to the extremists in both camps. One is good - one is evil. You would think sanity in the middle doesn't exist anymore.

I know some conservative Christians that are very down to earth, and then I know some that are truly out there. I have liberal friends that are down to earth, and I know some that are truly out there too.

Its sad that everyone must be put in a camp, because I don't feel comfortable in that either. I wouldn't tell people they just need to read the bible if they want to learn, and yet I'm not going to go crazy over Harry Potter, Homosexuality, Abortion, etc. either.

Everyone is custom, and if you can't accept that you aren't going to get anywhere with people. lol one way or the other! If people are going to call me names, because they disagree with my point of view? Whatever. Both sides do this, and quite frankly they don't see how closed minded that is.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.