Kolbu
✟21,186.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
We all know what common people in the streets, think, that everyone`s a brain, and there`s no soul. But, I`m presenting opinions of myself. Every year, there`s children, born without a brain, it only has a brain-stem, and the eyes are connected to that with muscles, there`s no brain, it develops later usually, if the child survives. You can operate half of the brain away in normal children and people, and because of the shock of losing a body-part, he or she, get`s paralysed for a while, the brain actually feels pain, contrary to the popular belief, that it doesn`t fell anything; the shock from operating, proves it.

The eyes, are connected directly to the brain-stem, so there`s a soul, controlling it, moving them, by will. If there`s no soul in the brain-stem also, the eyes would look empty or dead, but they show a personality, without a brain, in those children born without it. Some argue, that the brain-stem only contains primal instincts, but the eyes clearly shows a personality, and the child smiles, laugh, without a brain. I added a picture of a child born without it, so you can judge it yourself.

So, what is the brain for, if the child, have a personality and will, without it? Since it`s located on the top of the body, heat dissapears from it very effectively circulates the blood, Secondly, it produces hormones, hormones are, sort of nutrients for the soul, but it does way more than that, nature consists of way more than just nutrients, it has stuff that makes you feel good also. So the brain, makes this stuff, and nutrient your soul, so not only, does it give you nutrients, but also things that makes you feel good. The brain is a hormone-factory actually, the different parts, makes different ones based on what you are doing that day, and it goes down to the center of it all, the pineal-gland. This is where it`s all stored, and drips down to the soul, the brain-stem.

The idea, of brain doing different things, is based on theories from watching people do certain things, and then see where the brain is lit up, but this is only indicating what hormone it`s making, during the specific action. The theories, aren`t based on reality, only what they thought, based from a cynical stand-point, that nothing is real. A thing that proves it, is that positive people, optimistic ones, performs better, than cynical ones. This is tested, and proven, the ones who think the brain is responsible for all actions, performs on a lower level, than people who think they`re a soul. There`s a theory also, that if you stimulate certain parts of the brain, you can be forever happy, but we know from experience, that all stimuli, get`s old, which proves, that feelings and emotions, are real, unlike what the cynical people think - again, another point to the realists.

I`ll add a picture for a child who`s born without a brain, even though this is a condition connected to a disease, and often they don`t surive, you can see on their eyes that they have a soul still without it, and they laugh, smile, think, talk etc.:

blob.jpg

gmark63

Jan 8, 2024
Pacific Northwest
✟9,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
What was the nature of Phineas Gage's soul? His brain was massively damaged when a railroad tool pierced his skull. After the damage his personality dramatically changed. He became, effectively, a different person.

Which version of Phineas was most reflective of his "soul" and how could the soul be altered by damaging the brain?

• Winner
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Sorn

Jan 8, 2018
Perth
✟178,763.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What was the nature of Phineas Gage's soul? His brain was massively damaged when a railroad tool pierced his skull. After the damage his personality dramatically changed. He became, effectively, a different person.

Which version of Phineas was most reflective of his "soul" and how could the soul be altered by damaging the brain?
If you damage a tv set the program is still the same program but the way it plays (ie shows) on the tv can be very different depending on the damage. Cut a wire & you won;t have sound but the program is still transmitting with sound, that hasn't changed.

Upvote 0

gmark63

Jan 8, 2024
Pacific Northwest
✟9,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you damage a tv set the program is still the same program but the way it plays (ie shows) on the tv can be very different depending on the damage. Cut a wire & you won;t have sound but the program is still transmitting with sound, that hasn't changed.
I disagree with the metaphor because the human (TV SET) should have ONE CONSISTENT PROGRAM (the soul). If the programming changes because someone hits the TV really hard then you can't really say the program was actually the essence of the TV set.

The human soul should not be fungible.

But an emergent property of a neuron network which is damaged can be.

Upvote 0

Sorn

Jan 8, 2018
Perth
✟178,763.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I disagree with the metaphor because the human (TV SET) should have ONE CONSISTENT PROGRAM (the soul). If the programming changes because someone hits the TV really hard then you can't really say the program was actually the essence of the TV set.

The human soul should not be fungible.

But an emergent property of a neuron network which is damaged can be.
If a tv is damaged then the way the viewer experiences the program will change. There may be no sound or a grainy picture or bad colours etc. Damage the tv enough & there will be no program on it at all but the complete program would still be being transmitted. The program & the tv are different though both are needed to experience the program as intended.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
We all know what common people in the streets, think, that everyone`s a brain, and there`s no soul.
Off to a bad start already. The majority of the population of the entire world believes in some form of afterlife and higher power. I guarantee the vast majority of "common people in the street" fully believe that everyone has a "soul."
But, I`m presenting opinions of myself. Every year, there`s children, born without a brain, it only has a brain-stem, and the eyes are connected to that with muscles, there`s no brain, it develops later usually, if the child survives. You can operate half of the brain away in normal children and people, and because of the shock of losing a body-part, he or she, get`s paralysed for a while, the brain actually feels pain, contrary to the popular belief, that it doesn`t fell anything; the shock from operating, proves it.

The eyes, are connected directly to the brain-stem, so there`s a soul, controlling it, moving them, by will. If there`s no soul in the brain-stem also, the eyes would look empty or dead, but they show a personality, without a brain, in those children born without it. Some argue, that the brain-stem only contains primal instincts, but the eyes clearly shows a personality, and the child smiles, laugh, without a brain. I added a picture of a child born without it, so you can judge it yourself.

So, what is the brain for, if the child, have a personality and will, without it? Since it`s located on the top of the body, heat dissapears from it very effectively circulates the blood, Secondly, it produces hormones, hormones are, sort of nutrients for the soul, but it does way more than that, nature consists of way more than just nutrients, it has stuff that makes you feel good also. So the brain, makes this stuff, and nutrient your soul, so not only, does it give you nutrients, but also things that makes you feel good. The brain is a hormone-factory actually, the different parts, makes different ones based on what you are doing that day, and it goes down to the center of it all, the pineal-gland. This is where it`s all stored, and drips down to the soul, the brain-stem.

The idea, of brain doing different things, is based on theories from watching people do certain things, and then see where the brain is lit up, but this is only indicating what hormone it`s making, during the specific action. The theories, aren`t based on reality, only what they thought, based from a cynical stand-point, that nothing is real. A thing that proves it, is that positive people, optimistic ones, performs better, than cynical ones. This is tested, and proven, the ones who think the brain is responsible for all actions, performs on a lower level, than people who think they`re a soul. There`s a theory also, that if you stimulate certain parts of the brain, you can be forever happy, but we know from experience, that all stimuli, get`s old, which proves, that feelings and emotions, are real, unlike what the cynical people think - again, another point to the realists.

I`ll add a picture for a child who`s born without a brain, even though this is a condition connected to a disease, and often they don`t surive, you can see on their eyes that they have a soul still without it, and they laugh, smile, think, talk etc.:

View attachment 341896
This child does not "not" have a brain. See the gray stuff in the scan around the edge of the skull? That's brain tissue. The child didn't not have a brain, it was just squeezed and pushed to the edges by the disease causing fluid build-up. The child has severe developmental disabilities as do all of the examples ever presented on this topic. There are no PhD physicists walking around with this condition.

All available evidence shows that you are your brain. "Mind" is what the brain does. We have zero examples of minds existing without brains. "Soul" is a word that describes our individual experience of consciousness. It's not a separate thing that exists apart from the person.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Soul" is a word that describes our individual experience of consciousness. It's not a separate thing that exists apart from the person.
Right. Our soul is adapting dynamically all the time. See my definition of soul.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All available evidence shows that you are your brain.
(updated for clarification)

Consider: suppose I think I have a gray shirt on. (of course, I'd probably be right, but can we know that?...) Really, later in time (like the next day) there would not be any 'available evidence' to offer to prove it, but I'd only have a claim I could make. "I had a gray shirt on yesterday."

Suppose you reasonably requested proof from me, but I was only able to say "you'll have to trust me that yesterday I noticed I had a gray shirt on." What's the 'available evidence'?

(edit: I came back and realized this was a bit of an enigmatic post.

We can't say we have some decisive outright proof in 'available evidence' of an afterlife, which is like having a 'soul' -- in that the 2 are like 2 sides of a single coin, 2 aspects of one thing, but what 'available evidence' we do have is only accounts of individuals that prove nothing conclusively, but are only interesting:
and so, this is similar to a situation where someone says "I noticed I was wearing a gray shirt yesterday" -- in that you have their account, but no other proof.

So, above, my example was speaking about this -- having merely personal accounts from people they claim various experiences and there isn't any other proof -- that situation. In that situation of only having accounts from individual of personal experience, should we just disbelieve them generally? Well, no, not in my view. Instead, it's 'interesting' I'd say.

I'd compare it to the time when some people claimed to have seen a lightning ascending vertically upward into space from the tops of clouds -- it sounds fantastical, and there was a time when there was no proof, but merely personal accounts, and no other evidence. Now we have finally pinned it down, and know it's real: Sprite (lightning) - Wikipedia -- but then, before this more decisive proof, it was just what some people claimed to have seen.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The brain is a hormone-factory actually, the different parts, makes different ones based on what you are doing that day, and it goes down to the center of it all, the pineal-gland. This is wherin back e it`s all stored, and drips down to the soul, the brain-stem.
Your physiology is off. The various hormones synthesized in the hypothalamus are stored and secreted by the pituitary gland, Which is anterior to (in front of) the brain stem. Pituitary hormones include thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH,) adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH,) growth hormone (GH,) follicle stimulating hormone (FSH,) and prolactin, among others. The pineal gland (or body) is above and posterior to (in back of ) the hypothalamus.. It's smaller than the pituitary, and it's only known hormonal product so far is melatonin. Which regulates sleep/wake cycles. The link has more info. The idea of a soul residing in the brain stem, and being influenced by hormones is a bizarre religio-philosopical construct and has no relationship to actual biology.

Pineal Gland: What It Is, Function & Disorders

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
We all know what common people in the streets, think, that everyone`s a brain, and there`s no soul. But, I`m presenting opinions of myself. Every year, there`s children, born without a brain, it only has a brain-stem, and the eyes are connected to that with muscles, there`s no brain, it develops later usually, if the child survives. You can operate half of the brain away in normal children and people, and because of the shock of losing a body-part, he or she, get`s paralysed for a while, the brain actually feels pain, contrary to the popular belief, that it doesn`t fell anything; the shock from operating, proves it.

View attachment 341896
Is this the third time you've posted this rubbish?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Suppose you reasonably requested proof from me, but I was only able to say "you'll have to trust me that yesterday I noticed I had a gray shirt on." What's the 'available evidence'?
Yeah, but you can show be shown the shirt and conclude it not unreasonable that you wore it yesterday. You can't show an afterlife.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, but you can show be shown the shirt and conclude it not unreasonable that you wore it yesterday. You can't show an afterlife.
Definitely cannot say I've been in the afterlife!

But on the other hand, I can say things that I have experienced.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, but not the afterlife, though?
Definitely I've not been to the after life yet. :) It's too soon I think. But I can be very sure I will get there some day.

Upvote 0