Why so much dissension and discord here?

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been wondering if increasing social media hostility is because we are slowly becoming physically isolated from each other and using anonymous electronic means to communicate. Our ability to use body language to interpret the subtle messages of conversation is unable to be used and also the skill of face to face conversation is being forgotten. This leads to mistrust and frustration at being able to determine by other natural means besides what is being said who is being genuine and who is pretending to be.

Most of us really want to convey we are being genuinely honest and want the best for others instead of self gratitude but we get frustrated when we can't convey that and it is misunderstood. There's one place the fighting begins and add to that alcohol consumption if (applicable) and late night fatigue and the ingredients for a recipe for disassembling peace and harmony come together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chriliman
Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Unworthy servant for the Worthy Lord + Savior
Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I definitely agree there must be divisions, but only because we still live in a fallen world. Divisions arise when one is prideful and doesn't want to admit they're wrong, either to man or to God.
If we all truly submit ourselves to God and seek His guidance, there would be no divisions among us because God is not against Himself.
The ideal.
If we want to see Gods love at work in our lives, we must submit to Him and stop thinking we know it all and are always right or that we have all the answers. God gives favor to the humble, but opposes the proud. I try to remember this always, whether I'm on these forums or face to face.
None of which negates the need for debate and division.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The ideal.

None of which negates the need for debate and division.

Agreed! However, at what point should we turn away from those who won't hear the truth?

Or do you think we should not turn away from them, but rather debate with them endlessly?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I see nothing "whacked," but if you feel compelled to debate the exposure then let me know when you start a thread. I already engaged in extended debate with a sabbatharian whose desperate recourse was an argument against being such and do not look forward to more of the same.

It seems you are the one that is compelled to put down and argue or you would not have mentioned it---I do not start threads. I did not bring up my faith on this thread--you brought it up with a bunch of nonsense---get on topic or start your own thread--that is all I am interested in saying so I will unwatch.

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It seems you are the one that is compelled to put down and argue or you would not have mentioned it-
Wrong, as i was responding to one who invoked SDAs as not holding to any real "bad doctrine", and thus i informed him that was not the case. But by not caring to look at what i was responding to, or specify what you consider to be "nonsense," then it indicates superficiality on your part.
--I do not start threads. I did not bring up my faith on this thread--you brought it up with a bunch of nonsense---get on topic or start your own thread--that is all I am interested in saying so I will unwatch.
No, i did not bring it up, nor was it unrelated to the topic nor was it nonsense, for as said, SDA they do "contend for the 7th day sabbath being required obedience:"
the The fourth commandment of God’s unchangeable law requires the observance of this seventh-day Sabbath as the day of rest, worship, and ministry in harmony with the teaching and practice of Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath.- https://www.adventist.org/en/beliefs/living/the-sabbath/

Thus they must consider those who do not keep the 7th day as basically being substandard Christians.

And as said, "They also believe in soul-sleep:"
"The wages of sin is death. But God, who alone is immortal, will grant eternal life to His redeemed. Until that day death is an unconscious state for all people. - https://www.adventist.org/en/beliefs/restoration/death-and-resurrection/"

And as said, "They also deny eternal punishment:"
"The Bible does not teach that people have a separate conscious immortal part of their being that continues to exist after death."
"The Bible also uses words such as “perishing” and “destruction” in speaking of the ultimate fate of the unrepentant (e.g., 
2 Peter 3:7, 9; John 3:16; Heb. 10:28; Mal. 4:1). These descriptions confirm that the second death refers to annihilation (or extinction) of the unrepentant, rather than a continual and eternal conscious torment."
- https://www.adventist.org/en/belief...urrection/article/go/-/waking-up-to-eternity/

However, one correction i must make is that rather than simply the wicked suffering a common annihilation after perhaps 70+ years of indulging in lusts, Adventists (if they can be say to hold to uniform beliefs) teach that "the wicked will be raised (or, more properly, "re-created") on the day of judgment. At that time, God will inflict on the wicked "conscious pain of whatever degree and duration God may justly determine." his infliction is truly penal in character, though the suffering is not endless. "But in the end...the wicked will be consumed entirely and be no more." (Edward W. Fudge, "The Plain Meaning," 18-19;. http://www.bible-researcher.com/hell4.html

I have made corrections on my original post in this regard, yet this annihilation teaching still lacks much deterrent effect, as rather than suffering unquenchable fire and eternal punishment in the lake of fire the Lord sends them to along with the devil, (Mt. 25:41,46) who "shall be tormented day and night forever and ever." (Rv. 20:10) the lost would only need fear some some indeterminate degree and duration of suffering for sins,unquenchable fire and eternal punishment in the lake of fire the Lord sends them to along with the devil, (Mt. 25:41,46) who "shall be tormented day and night forever and ever." (Rv. 20:10)

Meanwhile, this debate serves to illustrate the need for debate over substantive issues, versus peripheral ones, including those who make what could be peripheral issues into required obedience.

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Agreed! However, at what point should we turn away from those who won't hear the truth?

Or do you think we should not turn away from them, but rather debate with them endlessly?
Let the Lord lead. While some are not fit to debate, yet due to others who see or may see the issue debated you may want to continue to refute it, by God's grace.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Choose-

The kingdom of God, and Faith, love , hope

or

Politics and theology.

James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Choose-

The kingdom of God, and Faith, love , hope

or

Politics and theology.

James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

I view anyone who does not know God as their Father, as an orphan and anyone who does not know Jesus Christ as their Lord, as a widow.

We all know orphans and widows in our personal lives, who need God's love.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I view anyone who does not know God as their Father, as an orphan and anyone who does not know Jesus Christ as their Lord, as a widow.

We all know orphans and widows in our personal lives, who need God's love.

I would agree, however i believe it speaks of believers as well. The Church is supposed to take care of their own.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would agree, however i believe it speaks of believers as well. The Church is supposed to take care of their own.

I definitely agree! Jesus told his disciples to feed his sheep.

Reactions: Extraneous
Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Im not against government helping people either, i just think that following politics is a mistake, a huge one.

Let the government do its things, lets not stand in their way, lets instead just pray.

I do follow politics to a certain extent, but only so I'm not completely ignorant about important issues of the times. God wants us to be awake and aware of the times we live in.

Luke 12:56
"Hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of the earth and the sky. How is it that you don't know how to interpret this present time?"

The Pharisees were blinded by their pride.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do follow politics to a certain extent, but only so I'm not completely ignorant about important issues of the times. God wants us to be awake and aware of the times we live in.

Luke 12:56
"Hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of the earth and the sky. How is it that you don't know how to interpret this present time?"

The Pharisees were blinded by their pride.

I believe that staying awake means to stay focused on Christ instead of allowing politicians to lead us astray. It doesnl't matter which party you follow, they will all lead us astray.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
God's word teaches us to avoid endless debating and controversies because it is unprofitable and worthless.

Titus 3:9-11
"But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned."

1 Peter 2:1-25
"So put away all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander. Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation— if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good. As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. ..."

Colossians 4:5-6
"Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person."

Matthew 5:9
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God."

Are you a peace maker? I pray God would show us all how to be more peaceful and gracious towards one another.

God bless!

The dissension is the result of the Reformation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe that staying awake means to stay focused on Christ instead of allowing politicians to lead us astray. It doesnl't matter which party you follow, they will all lead us astray.

Amen, brother!

Reactions: Extraneous
Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The dissension is the result of the Reformation.

I'm sure unpacking your explanation as why that is, would take awhile, so feel free to start a new thread on the topic or direct us to information about the topic.

I don't know much about the Reformation, but it is something that I want to study more about.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure unpacking your explanation as why that is, would take awhile, so feel free to start a new thread on the topic or direct us to information about the topic.

I don't know much about the Reformation, but it is something that I want to study more about.

Thanks!

To sum it up, the Reformation put an individuals interpretation of scripture above that of the Church.

Jesus only started one Church. He gave his Church leaders and he gave those leaders authority to teach and make rules.

He said that he wanted his followers to be one as he and the Father are one.

I think he recognized that this would require a hierarchy with a single authority at the top.

Once you start ignoring this hierarchy and replace it with individual dogma, dissension is on the way.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To sum it up, the Reformation put an individuals interpretation of scripture above that of the Church.

Jesus only started one Church. He gave his Church leaders and he gave those leaders authority to teach and make rules.

He said that he wanted his followers to be one as he and the Father are one.

I think he recognized that this would require a hierarchy with a single authority at the top.

Once you start ignoring this hierarchy and replace it with individual dogma, dissension is on the way.

Actually that's not exactly what we are taught at all. Thats just what your Church teaches. The scriptures are all that we need. We can be helped by group bible study but following this hierarchy as you call it, or any other denomination, is not always following the scriptures.

1 John 2:27New International Version (NIV)

27 As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Actually that's not exactly what we are taught at all. Thats just what your Church teaches. The scriptures are all that we need. We can be helped by group bible study but following this hierarchy as you call it, or any other denomination, is not always following the scriptures.

1 John 2:27New International Version (NIV)

27 As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

I think John was talking about something specific here.

Let's look at a more broad sampling of scripture:

Matt 18:17
If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, regard him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

Heb. 13:17
Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they watch over your souls as those who must give an account. To this end, allow them to lead with joy and not with grief, for that would be of no advantage to you.

1 John 2
19They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.

Acts 20:28
Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.

Hebrews 13:7
Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.

Upvote 0