Why secular music is wrong for kids, it leads to the bitter root of debauchery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blessedbythebest

All for my Loving Lord and Savior...Amen!
May 18, 2005
Roanoke
Visit site
✟313.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As Christians we are getting away from what's important...Last time I checked I wasn't a rat...Preference...This is all preference...Rather u who may or may not be a Christian listen 2 heavy metal or listen 2 classical...It doesn't mean that because you listen 2 heavy metal that I will go out a beat someone or shoot someone...I listen 2 rock and heavy metal and everything else and have never once committed a crime...Now, sin, we all commit sin, because we are not perfect...Only God is perfect...I do believe that Elvis should not be called the King...The only King is God...I do agree with Celticflower, in that everything that is sung about exists in society...They get their ideas from our society around us...Not from going out and doing it...Sterotype of Non-Christian music...I do believe we should see it as a blessing...Music is good for the ears...Not poisonous...

Reactions: Alexis OCA
Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Matthew 15:11, Not that which goeth into the mouth defilteth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

Matt. 15:14, let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Matt. 15:19-20, For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

In other words: It's not listening to secular music that defiles a man but it is a case of the blind leading the blind or even the Blind leading a christian. There is no offense in listening of secular music but after a person listens to any sort of music for very long it will effect what comes out of their heart in one way or the other. If you're listening to music that worships God and lifts you as a christian up then that will effect what is in your heart. If you listen to music that promotes fornication, selfishness, drunkeness, adulteries, murders, thefts, false witness, and blasphemies then that will effect your heart and your effected heart will show these evidences in one way or the other.

It's not what goes into the heart that defiles a man but that which comes out of the heart. The thing is, we still have to be careful in what we allow into our hearts because what we allow to come in is only bound to also come out. It's called our enviromental influences. What influences our heart helps shape what is in our heart.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
ps139 said:
Amongst the Flock, you have a good message, but you cannot lump all non-Christian music into the same category.
Amongst the Flock is talking about children here in this thread so I take it he's referring to todays rock, pop, and rap music.

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Caissie said:
Below a quote from this site: http://www.greenepa.net/~artwhiz/newsletter7.htm

In June 1998, BBC Music Magazine published the results of a very interesting test conducted with laboratory rats. Before being exposed to any kind of music, the rats were able to run a complicated maze in about ten minutes. Then half the rats were played classical music, while the other half heard heavy metal, for a period of ten hours a day. The maze tests were repeated. Classical rats navigated the maze in a mere 90 seconds. Heavy metal rats took 30 minutes! As an interesting side note, researchers said the study had to be curtailed after the heavy metal rats killed each other!

I've little doubt heavy metal killed a few of my brain cells (or could it be the stuff that accompanied it :doh: Anyhow, I love classical music and opera now so hopefully my brain cells are regenerating. I certainly hope so. One never knows when one'll be trapped in a maze :D

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Alexis OCA said:
Gee, attending movies is going to be a problem now...wonder if I can find one without a score or soundtrack.

Let the children dance...there will be enough time for mourning and weeping.
Well if you have children I sure hope you are careful in what your children watch.

And in keeping with the topic of the thread, no one nowdays can keep everything away from their children that might effect them in the wrong way but the constant and continual listening, on a repetitive basis, those things that will shape the minds and souls, the hearts, of our children can be controlled.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
OreGal said:
I've little doubt heavy metal killed a few of my brain cells (or could it be the stuff that accompanied it :doh: Anyhow, I love classical music and opera now so hopefully my brain cells are regenerating. I certainly hope so. One never knows when one'll be trapped in a maze :D
Ever since I saw the movie Amadeus I've been one of his biggest fans. It's simply some of the most beautiful music ever written!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟37,907.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
haha! what a funny assertion!!

I choose both, but I like metal better. This thread is on a matter of subjective opinion. It's about as meaningful as "mcd vs. Burger king, which tastes better?"
It is not entirely subjective. I don't like to argue tastes, it's pointless, but there is an objectivity to musical quality. Perhaps we cannot always know what is better than another, but God does.
And I stand by my other assertion, you can disagree with it but don't mock me for it.

Upvote 0
A

Amongst the Flock

ps139 said:
Amongst the Flock, you have a good message, but you cannot lump all non-Christian music into the same category.

You have read my threads in the secular section and I talk out against secular rap and metal so stop tearing the thread apart by comparing lyrics of moral corruption to a symphonic orchestra or a country love song. I never said that all secular music is bad but rather that I don't listen to it because there is such a blessing given to us by God when we get into deep praise. Feel the annointing for the annointing breaks the yoke of bondage.

I suppose your next post will compare the lyrics to a secular food item or car because thus everything would be secular then. That is in reference to a Calvinist who thinks everything is inherently secular. Thus if Casting Crowns put out a cd and the cd press operator was a pagan then the cd would be secular. Just putting this out here so no one decides to go here to divert the thread.

Peace. :)

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
ps139 said:
It is not entirely subjective. I don't like to argue tastes, it's pointless, but there is an objectivity to musical quality. Perhaps we cannot always know what is better than another, but God does.
And I stand by my other assertion, you can disagree with it but don't mock me for it.
Matthew 15:11, Not that which goeth into the mouth defilteth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

Matt. 15:14, let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Matt. 15:19-20, For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

In other words: It's not listening to secular music that defiles a man but it is a case of the blind leading the blind or even the Blind leading a christian. There is no offense in listening of secular music but after a person listens to any sort of music for very long it will effect what comes out of their heart in one way or the other. If you're listening to music that worships God and lifts you as a christian up then that will effect what is in your heart. If you listen to music that promotes fornication, selfishness, drunkeness, adulteries, murders, thefts, false witness, and blasphemies then that will effect your heart and your effected heart will show these evidences in one way or the other.

It's not what goes into the heart that defiles a man but that which comes out of the heart. The thing is, we still have to be careful in what we allow into our hearts because what we allow to come in is only bound to also come out. It's called our enviromental influences. What influences our heart helps shape what is in our heart.

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟37,907.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There is no offense in listening of secular music but after a person listens to any sort of music for very long it will effect what comes out of their heart in one way or the other. If you're listening to music that worships God and lifts you as a christian up then that will effect what is in your heart. If you listen to music that promotes fornication, selfishness, drunkeness, adulteries, murders, thefts, false witness, and blasphemies then that will effect your heart and your effected heart will show these evidences in one way or the other.
I agree with you. I think it should be pointed out that there is a lot of music in an "in between" category. It is not Christian music, but it does not promote anything bad - especially pure instrumental music with no lyrics.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
ps139 said:
I agree with you. I think it should be pointed out that there is a lot of music in an "in between" category. It is not Christian music, but it does not promote anything bad - especially pure instrumental music with no lyrics.
And I can agree with that also but the main point in my reply to you is that Matthew 15:19 doesn't leave too much room for objectivity, does it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.