Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unfortunately, many youth are like this these days. They're not all bad of course but they do seem to be a lot worse than even my own generation which was just teenagers a few years ago! :eek: :doh:

Upvote 0

AdmirableArmstrong

Escape the Vandals and Destroyers
Jul 31, 2005
✟19,010.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ZACTAK

Contributor
Feb 12, 2005
Missouri
✟16,157.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Maynard Keenan said:
Hmm peopel around here just must be better people than you guys are used to seeing. Or maybe I just hang in the right crowds.

More than likely you just don't notice it. I thought my town's youth wasn't out of control... then I got a job at a juvenile detention center, it is shocking! We have three boys in there right now for forcible rape... and we are almost at capacity in the facility! I last worked on Wednesday and we were at 19 out of 24 rooms! I never would have thought it could be possible.

Upvote 0

Billy Batson

Nov 15, 2004
jesusland :'(
✟1,009.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
this is the end result of french culture's concerted efforts once more to answer the social question -- the existence of poverty (arendt's on revolution). not only the social question but also the ability of a nation to absorb the world's visitors as her own.

historically, france has always been more of a melting pot than the united states ever was. we are more like a pot composed of various metal chunks. theirs is a complete melting pot until the more recent influx of muslims. the french actively encouraged the use of french and expected all to learn the language spoken by their peers. language and identity go hand in hand. they take a much more prideful approach to their culture to our lasse faire attitude toward ours. yes, we have the blind patriotic types that emerged in recent years, but i guarantee they would never enlist in our army or bother to learn the constitution, the legacy of presidents, election cycles, parties, etc., etc. the french encourage their history to their children along with the sciences (gasp!).

the recent problem as pointed out in the article is that the old system has faltered with the times set by the advent of the huge influx of the muslim culture who live in the ghettos. these places are no longer places where native french people live. they have moved.

the youths may have been the catalyst but it's been a social situation that's long been brewing.

i would say more but i'm too upset with most of you to elaborate w/o resorting to name calling.

Reactions: Rochir
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CCGirl

Resident Commie
Sep 21, 2005
Canada
✟27,370.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Billy Batson said:
did you people even read the damned article or just commenting on what you briefly see in ten second sound bytes?

this is the end result of french culture's concerted efforts once more to answer the social question -- the existence of poverty (arendt's on revolution). not only the social question but also the ability of a nation to absorb the world's visitors as her own.

historically, france has always been more of a melting pot than the united states ever was. we are more like a pot composed of various metal chunks. theirs is a complete melting pot until the more recent influx of muslims. the french actively encouraged the use of french and expected all to learn the language spoken by their peers. language and identity go hand in hand. they take a much more prideful approach to their culture to our lasse faire attitude toward ours. yes, we have the blind patriotic types that emerged in recent years, but i guarantee they would never enlist in our army or bother to learn the constitution, the legacy of presidents, election cycles, parties, etc., etc. the french encourage their history to their children along with the sciences (gasp!).

the recent problem as pointed out in the article is that the old system has faltered with the times set by the advent of the huge influx of the muslim culture who live in the ghettos. these places are no longer places where native french people live. they have moved.

the youths may have been the catalyst but it's been a social situation that's long been brewing.

i would say more but i'm too upset with most of you to elaborate w/o resorting to name calling.

Excellent and insightful post!:)

Social factors, unemployment, displaced people are all contributing to this mess in Paris. Disaffected youth with no hope are what we are witnessing, people:(

Upvote 0

GraceInHim

† Need a lifeguard? Mine walks on water †
Oct 25, 2005
MA
✟24,206.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
JPPT1974 said:
Yeah that is the youth of the world today.
Have no manners.
Nor no concious.
Can do whatever they please.

Would you kindly stop generalizing the youth of today. I know several who are productive members of society.

Diane
:wave:

Upvote 0

GraceInHim

† Need a lifeguard? Mine walks on water †
Oct 25, 2005
MA
✟24,206.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Diane_Windsor said:
Would you kindly stop generalizing the youth of today. I know several who are productive members of society.

Diane
:wave:

yes mine is a Marine 19 years old serving to protect - so there are productive teens. just say some or part of. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Multi-Elis

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2003
Paris
Visit site
✟17,911.00
Faith
Christian
The problem with this article, (and some of the replies here show it) is that is focuses on Islam as being the problem.
I live in the famous departement that is having all these problems, I live in one of those subherbs that are having so much trouble. I live in highrise scocial housing.

I feel that the article's describtions of places where woman have to wear veils and men have to grow beards is missplaced and a piece of information that leads to the wrong conclusions. Not only do I not know of such a place around where I live, but also the role Islam plays in this story is one that could be substituted by any other religion existing as a minority and being constantly looked down on.

In my oppinion, from what I have observed, from the people of met, and from some of the volenteer work I've done, the problem--though complex--is more a question of clashing cultures, and miss-understandings.

In the work force, for instance, there is a clash of cultural understanding. Employers want relyable, experienced people who can be counted on, and who share the same work ethics as they do. Potential emplyees, don't have experience, can't be counted on to have the same work ethics such as waking up early to go to work(they can be taught, but no employer wants to teach work ethics.), being responsible honest, etc. They might have them, but it isn't sure.

In education, kids are under peer pressure not to be "intellos" that is, intellectual nerds. They come from family backgrounds that don't encourage book learning. They don't have book culture, and don't think it's cool. They have a higher tendancy to leave school early, and don't have the self-estime to get the right diplomas later on. So naturally, they aren't getting anywhere there.

Lastly, socially, French people, the good old bourgeois "intellos", are much more comfortable in their neighboourhoods and don't make the effort to get to know these children and grandchildren of immigrents, share their work ethics, share their culture, and learn what these kids have to share.

There is no "solution" "compromize" or "things they are fighting for". Because there is not negotiable solution, no possible solution, no quick answer, nothing. That is why this isn't organized--it's all improvised, emotional reaction, and trying to be "cool".

I think that my post sounds a bit negative in tone. But it isn't. I wish a change of attitude and an effort for love were made. There are no fingers to be pointed, there is no one to blame, there is no one whose fult all this.

What role does Islam play? Identity. A different identity than that of consumerist bourgeois intellos.

Reactions: Billy Batson
Upvote 0

PorcelainHeart

Love me for me
Aug 22, 2005
The island
✟25,818.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In the northeast suburb of Sevran on Wednesday, youths doused a woman on crutches with flammable liquid and set her on fire with a burning rag as she struggled to get off a bus, a judicial official said, citing the bus driver's report to police. The driver, who had ordered passengers to leave the bus because flaming objects were blocking the road, helped the injured woman get off, the official said.

I don't care what the reason is for them doing this, buring someone is very much uncalled for. :cry: People like this give us youth a bad name.

Yeah that is the youth of the world today.
Have no manners.
Nor no concious.
Can do whatever they please.
Kids are like that because the parents seem to have no time for them. Some of the meanest people I met were teens. We have a bunch of teens on our street and they have done alot of mean stuff to me, like try to run me over and make fun of me. I know not all teens are like that, just the ones I meet are.

Upvote 0