Why not marry a non-christian? Gel better with non-christians.

T

toastface_grillah

Christians, on the other hand, are hard on each other. I fight with myself whether or not that is justified. On one hand, I think Hell yeah, we should be held to higher standards. If *THIS* is the right way, how can we get it so wrong sometimes? Etc etc etc.. On the other hand, I think that forgiveness, humility and love ought to be the cornerstones of what we believe and how we view life and everyone else. They are the "glasses" we should be looking out of. As such, judgment is only good when spoken in love and for the better of others.

I don't think it is. We err far, far too easily on the side of "tough love, and far too often, Yes, we do have higher standards, but with God as our role model, the least we can do toward one another is to show the same amount of grace toward other believers who don't quite fit the mold as God shows to us on a daily basis. And, if our time on earth is but a dress rehearsal for eternal life, then shouldn't that lead us to be more patient with one another, assuming that we'll have a lifetime to work on our issues?

That's not a can of worms. It's just a fact and a given.

My view is that I witness grace more so from non-christians (here where I'm at) than Christians. It's not about me feeling more comfortable around them. We all know that you don't want to get comfortable. It's about sympathy.

Situation example:

Messing up and having a non-believer seek you out to tell you "hey, I've been there. We all do it. Let me help you get of this place. Here's what I did. I noticed you."

Versus a believer turning face, judging, and literally making you have to earn their "grace" if you can at all.

Or just accepting someone even if they look ragged and aren't quite "there" and doing so out of sympathy. A Local pastor wont help because it will tarnish the church's reputation. That, was what I heard straight out of his mouth. This is a common thing here.

It is not this way every time in every place. I do not want it to seem that I have this view in general. I don't, but I see a lot of it here. It's sad. I'm not putting Christians down in general. I just see this "lack" and it should be motivating for the rest of us.

I totally sympathize.

Upvote 0

Verve

No grit, no pearl.
Apr 12, 2011
✟24,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Do as you wish. It's a recommendation. Paul feels that Christians are better suited to marry fellow Christians, but if you feel otherwise, then go ahead. :) The notion that you have to do something one way just because it's in the Bible is absurd....

What? Ok, please explain this in-depth because on the surface you're saying that "just because the Bible says it doesn't mean you should do it" and I hope that's not what you're saying.

Upvote 0
U

Ukrainia

I thought I'd take a break from my CF hiatus to delve into the common experience of non-Christians treating people better than Christians.

I think many Christians put this tremendous burdon on themselves, when they attempt to be, in essence, perfect, or at least much better unbelievers. It usually either leads to disillusionment with their capability to change, or a pharisaical attitude of "you're not good enough, like me." And that's really sad. If their is one thing that Christians should be aware of it's that we are poor, lowly, dispicable sinners in need of a Savior. So the the answer to someone struggling in sin isn't to "be better", but to look to Jesus and what he did for you. There is, of course, a time to admonish someone, but those who deserve reprimands are those with a self righeous attitude, and not those who are earnestly struggling with sin - they need to be pointed to God who loved them so much he died for them. Whatever we do as Christians, we need to keep sight of Jesus, and not just what he's asked us to do, but the lengths he went to love us because that's were we find the ultimate comfort.

Reactions: Nilloc
Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
In my experience - it's just best not to assume anything.

Christian or no.

In my years of going to church, I've met wonderfully kind Christians, full of good will, empathy, compassion, full of wisdom - and I've met others that are on the other end of the spectrum - power seekers, gossip, malicious, super vainglorious and foolish and/or alot confused. This is speaking generally, of course - what I see *most* of the time.

For me I can imagine horrific scenarios with some Christians as well as non-believers. And vice versa. And I've witnessed them among my fellow believers too - there are some miserable married Christians out there.

I will state plainly that with some people - the Christian label doesn't mean anything to me. They can go to church weekly, are on/have been on a "mission" - have a "Christian vocation/ministry" and be an upstanding member in their church - and I will still dislike them because beneath all that I can see a meanness, or a competativeness or an ultra self importance or something else that turns me off.

And there are some unbelievers I have met - who quite frankly display a better understanding of "love your neighbor as yourself" - than some of my fellow Christians and even myself.

But again I do not want to generalise. I've met people from both "camps" who I admire and who I am disgusted by.

The one thing about sharing the same faith is - there is a better chance of sharing particular values. It doesn't neccessarily follow though.

Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I don't think it is. We err far, far too easily on the side of "tough love, and far too often, Yes, we do have higher standards, but with God as our role model, the least we can do toward one another is to show the same amount of grace toward other believers who don't quite fit the mold as God shows to us on a daily basis. And, if our time on earth is but a dress rehearsal for eternal life, then shouldn't that lead us to be more patient with one another, assuming that we'll have a lifetime to work on our issues?

Mm, touchè. <-- couldn't find the right "e"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ulu

Sep 15, 2005
underground
✟12,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you believe your spouse is going to hell for eternity and you're going to heaven, over time it's gonna create tension between you.

Best case scenario you will end up being a weak, not very useful christian.
On the other hand you might be a strong useful one who often is at odds with your spouse over how you spend your time, resources etc.

Christians are to put God 1st in their lives. Good luck finding a woman who's OK with you putting what she believes is an imaginary friend above her whenever you have to choose between the two.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One story in the bible that stands out is the tale of the Samaritan helping out the Jewish man. 2 different men from 2 different belief systems.

Helping someone doesn't require becoming permanently and intimately mated with them.

Upvote 0