Why is the Vatican and Catholicism superior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrendanMark

Apr 4, 2007
Australia
✟16,317.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately, there is only one Church, with as much historical reality as its Founder, and we cannot appeal to some better, ideal Church against the inadequacies and offences of the Church as it is. Unfortunately, we can only get hold of the ideal Church in the empirical Church. We have access to usage only in ill-usage, ab-use, which cannot be abolished but must be improved so that it can become credible and usable once again.
von Balthasar, Hans Urs – Truth is Symphonic [Ignatius Press 1972, trans. Harrison, Graham1987, p 75]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This is brilliant! Exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for.

So let me get this straight....
When you are Catholic, you believe all Catholic Doctrine?
Which means you and Catholic Doctrine are alligned...So that your thought pattern matches with that of the Catholic Church.

The proper way to understand it is that if one submits to the teaching of the Catholic Church, one is submitting to the teaching of Jesus Christ. For we believe He continues to speak through the Church and Her successors via the Holy Spirit, which He promised to guide the Church till the end of the age.
redface.gif

Upvote 0

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
All non-Catholic denominations....

More than 50% of the Catholic Church.

Well actually 100%(meaning those who are true Catholics)... Because those who are truly Catholic are in depth with Catholicism and know the membership and such. True Catholics believe that and they are right. Otherwise a lot just go to a Catholic Church and think that makes them Catholic....

What makes Pentacostalism superior to you above all other denominations? Why is it your Christian faith above all other Christian Faiths?

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is a reason why the Catholic Church is superior to many other (not all) Christian churches. When most protestant churches started out, they were very much against the Catholic church. Martin Luther, John Calvin, Wesley and many other reformers took an extremely strong stand against the catholic church and her teaching. What do we find today in those same churches. The catholic church has not changed. Her standards are the same. Her thinking is the same. She is consistent. Protestantism has changed to become more united with Rome. And it was not that Rome came 50% and protestants came 50%. Protestants came the entire 100% and Rome has not changed. There are only a few that speak out now. I recently learned that the Pope released a document where he restated that there is no salvation outside the catholic church. That is a statement of superiority. Who stand up against it? Hardly anyone. In that way, the Catholic church is superior to many other churches.

Upvote 0

Fixation On God

God knows your pain
May 30, 2009
Nebraska
✟8,007.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What makes Pentacostalism superior to you above all other denominations? Why is it your Christian faith above all other Christian Faiths?

Pentecostalism is not superior and hardly ever mention superiority...

Here is a reason why the Catholic Church is superior to many other (not all) Christian churches. When most protestant churches started out, they were very much against the Catholic church. Martin Luther, John Calvin, Wesley and many other reformers took an extremely strong stand against the catholic church and her teaching. What do we find today in those same churches. The catholic church has not changed. Her standards are the same. Her thinking is the same. She is consistent. Protestantism has changed to become more united with Rome. And it was not that Rome came 50% and protestants came 50%. Protestants came the entire 100% and Rome has not changed. There are only a few that speak out now. I recently learned that the Pope released a document where he restated that there is no salvation outside the catholic church. That is a statement of superiority. Who stand up against it? Hardly anyone. In that way, the Catholic church is superior to many other churches.

This is exactly why catholicism is superior.

Upvote 0

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
it's already been established that Catholicism/Vatican = Superior to all others.

If you disagree please say so.

It's a total bait and trap question soooooooooo we can have yet ANOTHER "Us vs dem dare Cath- O - Licks" thread.

What makes the YOUR Pentecostal Faith superior in your eyes to all other Christians Faiths? Why Pentecostal and not Baptist or Lutherean?

What makes Pentecostal Theology superior to other Protestant theologies?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2 King

By His Wounds We Are Healed
Jun 5, 2009
Desert
✟17,226.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
The proper way to understand it is that if one submits to the teaching of the Catholic Church, one is submitting to the teaching of Jesus Christ.

For we believe He continues to speak through the Church and Her successors via the Holy Spirit, which He promised to guide the Church till the end of the age.

I'm Glad that Charismatic/Pentecostal have a near exact theology...

Of course with submmitting we are subject to gullibility.

But then we can quote "My sheep know my voice."
So if we believe the CC/Vatican is right in all it's efforts, sacraments, prayers, etc. then we, "the sheep", can say that it is the voice of God.

Which means, JUST like any other organization/denomination/faith/religion/church/WhateverYouWantToCallIt, Catholicisim/Vatican is also subject to confusion which has been seen in the Charismatic division.

Yes I do know that Catholic Churches has a Charismatic sect, sometimes separate others intwined with the entire congregation.

Upvote 0

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
It's a total bait and trap question soooooooooo we can have yet ANOTHER "Us vs dem dare Cath- O - Licks" thread.
It is sooooooooooo not :)

What I honest to goodnessly wanted was to know why Catholics observe themselves as superior.

But they are too afraid to say so because it would "spark" a controversy/exciting discussion :)

What makes the YOUR Pentecostal Faith superior in your eyes to all other Christians Faiths?
First of all this is not the objective/focal point of the OP.

But since you are obviously tenacious in your efforts I will answer you.
I personaly am Christian, only reason I have "Charismatic" Icon is because I go to a "Charismatic" Church.
I believe all things that God did/has spoken in his Word.

So my view is irrelavent.

Why Pentecostal and not Baptist or Lutherean?
I'd ask you the same question. (Of course worded differently)

I never went to a Baptist or Lutherean Church. And I'm very content with my church because It speaks the truth rather we want to hear it or not, My church does not just "tickle your ears".

What makes Pentecostal Theology superior to other Protestant theologies?
Again I could ask you the same question.

Nothing.
Firstly, I've never studied Protestant theology nor any other theology other than Catholic and my own.

Upvote 0

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟47,348.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is sooooooooooo not :)
What I honest to goodnessly wanted was to know why Catholics observe themselves as superior.
But they are too afraid to say so because it would "spark" a controversy/exciting discussion :)
First of all this is not the objective/focal point of the OP....
I've never studied Protestant theology nor any other theology other than Catholic and my own.
I used to be RC, from when I was 27 until I was 50, so I have a good perspective from both sides (or 3 sides, before, during, and after).
That the Eastern Orthodox had accepted RC doctrines at the Council of Florence (1439, but later it reneged) gave RC the best claim in my investigation, plus sheer force of numbers (half of Christianity). I hadn't encountered any Protestant claims viable before I converted.
Then at age 35 I got baptized in the Spirit in the Charismatic Renewal, so RC had full claim on my allegiance.
That RC seemed to have all the answers worked to its advantage until at age 50 I uncovered some elements that could not stand. Nevertheless, for the reasons above, RC still looks superior.
Parenthetically let me add that only afterwards did I run across the Lutheran doctines in the Augsburg Confession, that seems to me now a better statement of what RC most truly had been and should have declared itself instead of settling for the Council of Trent. Also, from 1992 to 2004 I was Episcopalian, when I found out after leaving RC that the rather awful Thirty-nine Articles were no longer required to be Episcopalian, as they had been beforehand (what I had been told in the 1960's). So RC fortunately was not still my only choice, now that RC was not a choice.
Korah

Upvote 0

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I used to be RC, from when I was 27 until I was 50, so I have a good perspective from both sides (or 3 sides, before, during, and after).

I used to be RC from the age of 9months before I was born, to the age of 13.

That the Eastern Orthodox had accepted RC doctrines at the Council of Florence (1439, but later it reneged) gave RC the best claim in my investigation, plus sheer force of numbers (half of Christianity).

Exactly!

I hadn't encountered any Protestant claims viable before I converted.
interesting...

Then at age 35 I got baptized in the Spirit in the Charismatic Renewal, so RC had full claim on my allegiance.

What do you mean by "RC had full claim on your allegiance."?

That RC seemed to have all the answers worked to its advantage until at age 50 I uncovered some elements that could not stand. Nevertheless, for the reasons above, RC still looks superior.

Yes, I too have found some things that didn't stand...

Yes the RC has always looked "Superior", it has always been the epitmy of the Church. Most likely because of it's early reincombnation.

Parenthetically let me add that only afterwards did I run across the Lutheran doctines in the Augsburg Confession, that seems to me now a better statement of what RC most truly had been and should have declared itself instead of settling for the Council of Trent. Also, from 1992 to 2004 I was Episcopalian, when I found out after leaving RC that the rather awful Thirty-nine Articles were no longer required to be Episcopalian, as they had been beforehand (what I had been told in the 1960's).

Knowledge brings sorrow, but, It is better than ignorance. I too have realized these things, I once was Epicopalian, by only for 1 year.

So RC fortunately was not still my only choice, now that RC was not a choice.
Korah

Concluded

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fixation On God

God knows your pain
May 30, 2009
Nebraska
✟8,007.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I didn't know any church was superior to any other. No Christian is superior to any other, so why would any church be?
Your theology is correct. But that dosen't change the Fact that the many Catholics me and others have met agree that "There is only one Church."
and that that "Church" is the CC.

which means, if you ain't Catholic, well....I dunno :)

BTW if I'm wrong, please correct me

Upvote 0

Fixation On God

God knows your pain
May 30, 2009
Nebraska
✟8,007.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If they could show me in scripture where "Katholikos" is used in reference to the Catholic Church, I might change my way of thinking just a little. But they can't prove it through scripture so I am safe in my way of thinking.

That's exactly why CC menatality fails on epic proportions.

They have Good Structure, they are built on the Teachings of Christ.
But they remind me of Pharisee that have high chairs, and some who like to be called Father.

I mean what's up with that.

As I said, good stucture, but of course imperfect morals:priest:

Upvote 0
M

Memento Mori

Okay, how about some of these?

1. The Catholic claim makes church discipline worth something. In Protestantism, if the church tries to discipline you and that upsets your ego, you can easily take your pick of a new denomination out of thousands, any of which is supposed to be a valid expression of the invisible Body of Christ.

2. The Catholic Church can grow and develop in its understanding with the authority of a Church founded by Christ. The Pope can define a doctrine or call a council, making the teaching ministry of the Church effective and authoritative. No "camps" and theological democracy, just truth. Didn't Jesus promise that the Holy Spirit would lead us into all truth?

3. The Church does not follow the "traditions of men." You can trace her lineage back to the apostles appointed by Jesus, not to Luther or Calvin or Wesley or Ellen White or who-have-you.

4. Catholic orders are valid through apostolic succession (this applies to the Orthodox too). In Protestantism, anyone can call themselves a pastor or an apostle or a prophet or whatever else they want to call themselves. In Catholicism, you don't hold any office unless you have been appointed by Christ through His Church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.