Why is the Vatican and Catholicism superior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Superior to what?

All non-Catholic denominations....

Who said that the Vatican and Catholicism is superior to all other faiths or denominations?
More than 50% of the Catholic Church.

Well actually 100%(meaning those who are true Catholics)... Because those who are truly Catholic are in depth with Catholicism and know the membership and such. True Catholics believe that and they are right. Otherwise a lot just go to a Catholic Church and think that makes them Catholic....

Upvote 0

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe because it's more organized than most others and has stood it's ground since the early church....Sure they have gone through many reformations, but have made it through them all.
That is a pretty good idea right there. And is true...But it's not enough to prove that Vatican/Catholicism are superior...

Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Victorville, California, CorpUSA
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
All non-Catholic denominations....

According to whom?

Well actually 100%(meaning those who are true Catholics)... Because those who are truly Catholic are in depth with Catholicism and know the membership and such. True Catholics believe that and they are right. Otherwise a lot just go to a Catholic Church and think that makes them Catholic....
I'm sure Bernie Madoff thought he was right as well, but that doesn't make him so. In other words just because a person "believes" they are right doesn't make them right.

Upvote 0

Trento

Senior Veteran
Apr 12, 2002
AZ. Between the Holy Cross river and the Saint Rit
Visit site
✟22,534.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
any thoughts?

St Augustine of Hippo (“Letter 141” Ad 385

“In the Catholic Church, there are many other things which most justly keep me in her bosom. The consent of peoples and nations keeps me in the Church; so does her authority, inaugurated by miracles, nourished by hope, enlarged by love, established by age. The succession of priests keeps me, beginning from the very seat of the Apostle Peter, to whom the Lord, after His resurrection, gave it in charge to feed His sheep (Jn 21:15-19), down to the present episcopate.
“And so, lastly, does the very name of Catholic, which, not without reason, amid so many heresies, the Church has thus retained; so that, though all heretics wish to be called Catholics, yet when a stranger asks where the Catholic Church meets, no heretic will venture to point to his own chapel or house.
“Such then in number and importance are the precious ties belonging to the Christian name which keep a believer in the Catholic Church, as it is right they should...With you, where there is none of these things to attract or keep me... No one shall move me from the faith which binds my mind with ties so many and so strong to the Christian religion...For my part, I should not believe the gospel except as moved by the authority of the Catholic Church.”

“The Catholic Church is the work of Divine Providence, achieved through the prophecies of the prophets, through the Incarnation and the teaching of Christ, through the journeys of the Apostles, through the suffering, the crosses, the blood and death of the martyrs, through the admirable lives of the saints…. When, then, we see so much help on God’s part, so much progress and so much fruit, shall we hesitate to bury ourselves in the bosom of that Church? For starting from the apostolic chair down through successions of bishops, even unto the open confession of all mankind, it has possessed the CROWN OF TEACHING AUTHORITY.”

(Augustine, “The Advantage of Believing 35…392 A.D.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
According to whom?

I'm sure Bernie Madoff thought he was right as well, but that doesn't make him so. In other words just because a person "believes" they are right doesn't make them right.

I could say the same for Ellen G. White...

But that's besides the point.

I want to know why "Catholics" feel they are superior and why the Vatican is superior....

Their superiority complex is the only thing I am concerned with atm.

So if you can become a Catholic, or have been, or are, then I would like to know why you think you're superior...

There are many differences in the Catholic faith that are radical compared to other denominations. Other than Orthodox Catholicism is Insanely structured and well-birthed.

If your not Catholic I would like to know why you think Catholics think they're superior...

Thank You,
God Bless.

Upvote 0

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
St Augustine of Hippo (“Letter 141” Ad 385

“In the Catholic Church, there are many other things which most justly keep me in her bosom. The consent of peoples and nations keeps me in the Church; so does her authority, inaugurated by miracles, nourished by hope, enlarged by love, established by age. The succession of priests keeps me, beginning from the very seat of the Apostle Peter, to whom the Lord, after His resurrection, gave it in charge to feed His sheep (Jn 21:15-19), down to the present episcopate.
“And so, lastly, does the very name of Catholic, which, not without reason, amid so many heresies, the Church has thus retained; so that, though all heretics wish to be called Catholics, yet when a stranger asks where the Catholic Church meets, no heretic will venture to point to his own chapel or house.
“Such then in number and importance are the precious ties belonging to the Christian name which keep a believer in the Catholic Church, as it is right they should...With you, where there is none of these things to attract or keep me... No one shall move me from the faith which binds my mind with ties so many and so strong to the Christian religion...For my part, I should not believe the gospel except as moved by the authority of the Catholic Church.”

“The Catholic Church is the work of Divine Providence, achieved through the prophecies of the prophets, through the Incarnation and the teaching of Christ, through the journeys of the Apostles, through the suffering, the crosses, the blood and death of the martyrs, through the admirable lives of the saints…. When, then, we see so much help on God’s part, so much progress and so much fruit, shall we hesitate to bury ourselves in the bosom of that Church? For starting from the apostolic chair down through successions of bishops, even unto the open confession of all mankind, it has possessed the CROWN OF TEACHING AUTHORITY.”

(Augustine, “The Advantage of Believing 35…392 A.D.)

This is brilliant! Exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for.

So let me get this straight....
When you are Catholic, you believe all Catholic Doctrine?
Which means you and Catholic Doctrine are alligned...So that your thought pattern matches with that of the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I could say the same for Ellen G. White...

I suppose.

But that's besides the point.

And the OP.

I want to know why "Catholics" feel they are superior and why the Vatican is superior....

Their superiority complex is the only thing I am concerned with atm.

Your question seemed declaratory and non-specific.

If your not Catholic I would like to know why you think Catholics think they're superior...

How? Clairvoyance? How does another man guess why another man thinks about a particular topic let alone his religion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fixation On God

God knows your pain
May 30, 2009
Nebraska
✟8,007.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Bishop hats. The sole reason is the bishop hat (also known as a mitre).

LMAO!!!
Rofl!

The Vatican is superior because it has been since the Early church. None of it's values have been corrupted.
Makes sense.

Upvote 0

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Your question seemed declaratory and non-specific. How? Clairvoyance? How does another man guess why another man thinks about a particular topic let alone his religion?

It was/is declaratory but is specific.

I feel they are superior, but I don't know why....

when you answered Clairvoyance, you misunderstood my initial question.
What I mean was... What do you (as a non-Catholic) think the reason is as to why they think they're superior.

The Vatican is superior because it has been since the Early church. None of it's values have been corrupted.

It has remained longer than any other.

It is contentness allows it not to be slave to human thought and rationalism.
This is all true.

Bishop hats. The sole reason is the bishop hat (also known as a mitre).
I have never heard such blunt truth.
Certainly no1 in all this forum could have summed it up that well.

Upvote 0

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Could it be because of the papacy?

Difficult as had been the situation with which the Popes were confronted during the sixteenth century and the first half of the seventeenth century, when heresy was rampant throughout Europe, and when Catholic nations were obliged to fight for their very existence, it was not a whit more difficult or more critical than that created by the increasing and selfish demands of Catholic rulers, which confronted their successors during the age of absolute government. The Peace of Westphalia (1648), by giving official sanction to the principle of state neutrality, meant nothing less than a complete revolution in the relations that had existed hitherto between Church and State. So long as the Christian world was united in one great religious family, acknowledging the Pope as the common Father of Christendom, it was not strange that in disputes between princes and subjects or between the rulers of independent states the authority of the Pope as supreme arbitrator should have been recognised, or that his interference even in temporal matters should not have been regarded as unwarrantable. But once the religious unity of Europe was broken by the separation of entire nations from the Church, and once the politico-religious constitution of the Holy Roman Empire was destroyed by the acceptance of the principle of religious neutrality, the Popes felt that their interference even indirectly in temporal matters, however justifiable it might be in itself, could produce no good results. Hence apart from their action as temporal sovereigns of the Papal States, a position that obliged the Popes to take part in political affairs, the whole tendency was to confine themselves strictly to spiritual matters, and to preserve harmony if possible between Church and State. This policy did not, however, satisfy the selfish designs of rulers, who had determined to crush all representative institutions and to assert for themselves complete and unlimited authority. Catholic rulers, jealous of the increased powers secured by Protestant princes through the exercise of supreme ecclesiastical jurisdiction, determined to assert for themselves a somewhat similar authority over the Catholic Church in their own territories. It was no longer the supposed inroads of the Church upon the domain of the State but the attacks of the State upon the rights of the Church, that were likely to disturb the good relations between Catholic princes and the Pope. These rulers demanded an overwhelming voice in all ecclesiastical appointments; they insisted upon exercising the Royal Placet upon papal documents and episcopal pronouncements; they would tolerate no longer the privileges and exemptions admitted by their predecessors in favour of clerics or of ecclesiastical property; they claimed the right of dictating to the cardinals who should be Pope and of dictating to the Pope who should be cardinals; of controlling education in their own dominions; of determining the laws and rules concerning marriages and matrimonial dispensations, and of fixing the constitutions of those religious orders the existence of which they were willing to tolerate.
===================================================================================================
The Catholic doctrine on Grace, round which such fierce controversies had been waged in the fifth and sixth centuries, loomed again into special prominence during the days of the Reformation. The views of Luther and Calvin on Grace and Justification were in a sense the very foundation of their systems, and hence it was of vital importance that these questions should be submitted to a searching examination, and that the doctrine of the Catholic Church should be formulated in such a way as to make cavilling and misunderstanding impossible. This work was done with admirable lucidity and directness in the fifth and sixth sessions of the Council of Trent, but nevertheless these decrees of the Council did not prevent the theories of Luther and Calvin being propagated vigorously, and from exercising a certain amount of influence even on some Catholic theologians who had no sympathy with the religious revolt.

Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It was/is declaratory but is specific

To whom?

I feel they are superior, but I don't know why....

That's great faith.

when you answered Clairvoyance, you misunderstood my initial question. What I mean was... What do you (as a non-Catholic) think the reason is as to why they think they're superior.

I know what you meant. How does another man guess the reasons of what another man thinks about anything?

Upvote 0

Trento

Senior Veteran
Apr 12, 2002
AZ. Between the Holy Cross river and the Saint Rit
Visit site
✟22,534.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is brilliant! Exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for.

So let me get this straight....
When you are Catholic, you believe all Catholic Doctrine?
Which means you and Catholic Doctrine are alligned...So that your thought pattern matches with that of the Catholic Church.

yes! After questioning by the Dodge City Truth comission. Front,
left to right: Charles E. Basset, Wyatt S. Earp, Frank McLain, and Neil Brown. Back, left to right: W. H. Harris, Luke Short, W. B. Bat Masterson and W. F. Petillon.

DodgeCityPeaceCommission-500.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.