Epoisses

Apr 26, 2012
East coast
✟671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So where do you get your "probationary" theory?
127fs4573872.gif

If you were following along at all, I said that I base it on the unpardonable sin which once committed forever fixes the destiny of the offender. The person who commits this sin against the Holy Spirit may desire or will to be saved but it will never happen. He has made shipwreck of his faith.

Then I concluded that the opposite is possible for the righteous. Someone who is completely conformed into the image of Christ will no longer sin or even desire to sin. The 144,000 in Revelation receive the seal of the living God in their foreheads and I believe this will be their experience. Someone who is sealed belongs to Christ forever and cannot fall away.

Upvote 0

Jack Terrence

Fighting the good fight
Feb 15, 2013
✟27,525.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you were following along at all, I said that I base it on the unpardonable sin which once committed forever fixes the destiny of the offender. The person who commits this sin against the Holy Spirit may desire or will to be saved but it will never happen. He has made shipwreck of his faith.
If the person who commits the so called "unpardonable" sin can never be saved, then there is no "probationary" period.

The unpardonable sin could be committed only while Christ was in the flesh. The narrative makes it clear that the unpardonable sin involves blaspheming both the Son and the Spirit with the blasphemy against the Spirit being the specific sin that was unpardonable.

In other words, the unpardonable sin could be committed only while Christ was in the flesh doing works by the Spirit. This is why Mark defined that sin as saying that JESUS HAS an unclean spirit (Mark 3:30). Since Jesus is not present among us in the flesh doing works by the Holy Spirit, then there can be no "unpardonable" sin today.

Then I concluded that the opposite is possible for the righteous. Someone who is completely conformed into the image of Christ will no longer sin or even desire to sin. The 144,000 in Revelation receive the seal of the living God in their foreheads and I believe this will be their experience. Someone who is sealed belongs to Christ forever and cannot fall away.
I still don't see your "probationary" theory. They were "sealed" by God apart from their works.

Upvote 0

Epoisses

Apr 26, 2012
East coast
✟671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If the person who commits the so called "unpardonable" sin can never be saved, then there is no "probationary" period.

The unpardonable sin could be committed only while Christ was in the flesh. The narrative makes it clear that the unpardonable sin involves blaspheming both the Son and the Spirit with the blasphemy against the Spirit being the specific sin that was unpardonable.

In other words, the unpardonable sin could be committed only while Christ was in the flesh doing works by the Spirit. This is why Mark defined that sin as saying that JESUS HAS an unclean spirit (Mark 3:30). Since Jesus is not present among us in the flesh doing works by the Holy Spirit, then there can be no "unpardonable" sin today.

The unpardonable sin is grieving the Holy Spirit to the point where he no longer has any influence on us. This could and has happened from Adam to the end of time. This is not a one-time event but the final act of a life that has failed to respond to righteousness. Jesus' application to the pharisees was just one of many. Even Paul talks about grieving the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Jack Terrence

Fighting the good fight
Feb 15, 2013
✟27,525.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The unpardonable sin is grieving the Holy Spirit to the point where he no longer has any influence on us. This could and has happened from Adam to the end of time. This is not a one-time event but the final act of a life that has failed to respond to righteousness. Jesus' application to the pharisees was just one of many. Even Paul talks about grieving the Holy Spirit.
It has been noted that I offered scriptural support for my definition of the unpardonable sin while you did not. Blasphemy against the Spirit was not the resisting of His influence. Blasphemy means to "speak profanely against." All blasphemy is VERBAL sin!

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit necessarily involved blaspheming the Son. The former was unpardonable because it was to say that the Spirit that worked in Jesus was "unclean" (Mark 3:30). It was a sin of the tongue.

Mark 3:29-30:

But he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”— because they SAID, “He has an UNCLEAN spirit.”

If they had thought it without speaking it they would have still resisted the Spirit. But they would not have "blasphemed" because all blasphemy is VERBAL.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Epoisses

Apr 26, 2012
East coast
✟671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It has been noted that I offered scriptural support for my definition of the unpardonable sin while you did not. Blasphemy against the Spirit was not the resisting of His influence. Blasphemy means to "speak profanely against." All blasphemy is VERBAL sin!

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit necessarily involved blaspheming the Son. The former was unpardonable because it was to say that the Spirit that worked in Jesus was "unclean" (Mark 3:30). It was a sin of the tongue.

But he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”— because they SAID, “He has an UNCLEAN spirit.”

If they had thought it without speaking it they would have still resisted the Spirit. But they would not have "blasphemed" because all blasphemy is VERBAL.

Do you even know what you are arguing about? It doesn't matter how or why it happens, the fact is that it does happen which you agree to and proves my original point. Except for the fact that you only saw it happening in the lifetime of Jesus which boggles the mind.

There does come a point where a final act of sin or blasphemy is committed and the soul is cut off forever. That person's probationary period has closed. Free will has no power to choose anything after this. So Satan's freewill was worthless after he rebelled against Christ and was kicked out of heaven.

Upvote 0

gmm4j

Jul 22, 2012
SC
✟2,859.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Will your sin be forgiven/pardoned if you consistently refuse to believe?

Upvote 0