Why Is It So Intimidating Going To College Age Church Groups Alone?

nb408

Mar 20, 2013
✟25,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm trying to make some christian friends since it says in the bible to surround yourself with the body of Christ. Well I have no christian friends and it's really hard for me to open up and make new ones so just by going to the groups is a huge step for me. It seems like everyone knows each other their and I'll never get to that point. How do I go about making friends their. Better yet if you've been in this kind of situation before, how did you make friends in that kind of situation?

NaturallyGone

ילד של האל הופרדו את אחד אהבת אמת
Apr 18, 2010
Florida
✟16,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, this hasn't happened to me, but i've noticed that it's a recurring thing quite a bit. For the most part, you're right. Everyone seems to knwo everyone, and so that always makes it hard for new people to feel welcome. For the msot part, everyone always seems to have grown up in the church. However, I have noticed that those of us at our church that have just stuck it out and kept going, always trying to be a part, have slowly become part of the "cliques" that seem to populate most church groups. There are some exceptions though. Some churches groups will just instinctively try involving the new people. ALl depends on the make-up of the group.

Upvote 0

RobertMerton

Veteran
Mar 19, 2005
Internet
✟17,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Definitely try a few.
Some are more friendly and welcoming towards new comers.

I've been going out to a few in recent months and some are quite friendly (they will really try and make you feel part of the group). I remember I went to one a few months ago and we ended up playing board games after service.

Another one I went to (a week after) and literally only one person introduced themselves to me.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Honestly, this hasn't happened to me, but i've noticed that it's a recurring thing quite a bit. For the most part, you're right. Everyone seems to knwo everyone, and so that always makes it hard for new people to feel welcome. For the msot part, everyone always seems to have grown up in the church. However, I have noticed that those of us at our church that have just stuck it out and kept going, always trying to be a part, have slowly become part of the "cliques" that seem to populate most church groups. There are some exceptions though. Some churches groups will just instinctively try involving the new people. ALl depends on the make-up of the group.

Often what seems instinctive is anything but. It is the result of a very conscious effort. Sometimes well in the past to create a group where welcoming newcomers is the norm.

For the OP I'd suggest figuring out who the group leaders are and asking their help. Often it takes just mentioning it and things are done.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, it's hard for ANY large groups of people alone, especially when trying to meet people to become friends with. I remind myself that a group of Christians is the most likely place to find new friends, because they are actually supposed to be welcoming. Not saying that non-Christians are not welcoming or cannot be, but you never know what you are going to get with them.

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, it's hard for ANY large groups of people alone, especially when trying to meet people to become friends with. I remind myself that a group of Christians is the most likely place to find new friends, because they are actually supposed to be welcoming. Not saying that non-Christians are not welcoming or cannot be, but you never know what you are going to get with them.

Yes for me this is true too. But the only way you can no longer be a stranger is to go and meet people. I have anxiety about it sometimes. I feel lucky, that this church I go to now as soon as I arrived they came to me and said hello. That made it easier.

Upvote 0