Sinner and Saint
Dec 31, 2007
Adelaide
✟16,893.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, Jasper, only just noticed your post now.

As for the reading the Bible, two things come to mind:

1. If I was to give Christianity a go would I then have to give Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism a go? If I didnt, it would be bias and unfair, even if I then believed in Christianity
  2. I do not have a reason to follow Christianity. As I say before, my life is great and nothing is wrong. You then might ask why I am posting on a Christian forum. It is simply because I have a vested interest in the topic. I have dedicated many hours of the past year to research in both theism and atheism, not to be converted, but to learn.
Well, I don't consider just reading some parts of the Bible as really "giving Christianity a go", but yeah you should seriously consider all religions, particularly their truth claims. Use your God-given intellect to discern what is truth and what is man-made. Many followers of religions (Christianity included) just believe what their parents teach them. And really, that's just laziness. Everyone should walk their own path to determine what is true. And as a Christian, I believe that if you do that you will only conclude that the God of the Bible is the truth; the one true God; the only path to eternal life.

You say you have no reason to follow Christianity. This is not true. I don't know you, but God does and he knows you've sinned. He is a perfect and holy God and he cannot have sinful people with him in his presence. Therefore he sent his son, Jesus to die on the cross and through that we are cleansed and seen as holy and blameless in God's eyes.

Upvote 0

mulimulix

Free Thinker
Apr 20, 2010
Sydney, Australia
✟8,176.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Age doesn't mean a thing to God....He can choose to save someone when they are 99 years old, or on their deathbed, if He wants to.

I have no clue why your parents are not saved-only God knows. I can't answer that question myself.

That video is only one of many out there. But the fact of the matter is that I myself have been healed twice, by Jesus Christ. I have no doubt at all that He healed me. I FELT Him healing me-and it was just like the people in the video-like a warm, tingling feeling....and I was healed.

I have talked to a LOT of people who have also been healed in the name of Jesus.

As for the people who have "seen" Allah, Buddha, or whoever.....Satan can and does come as an "angel of light" (2 Corinthians 11:14)....he does it to DECIEVE people. He's the Father of Lies, and his only mission is to kill, steal, and destroy us and our relationship with God and His Son Jesus Christ.

Did Muhamed, Buddha, etc. die for our sins, and were there tons of witnesses who saw them AFTER they rose? Nope, but there sure were a lot of witnesses of people who saw Jesus after He had been crucified. There have been hundreds of thousands of people who believe enough to die for their beliefs! Because yes, they really SAW Him....they saw His miracles and healings before he was crucified, and they were still happening in His Name after He was resurrected...and they are STILL happening today.

Yes, there are false prophets, teachers, and healers, etc. out there who stage fake healings. But I am here to tell you that I was healed by Jesus Christ twice myself, and also have talked to many other people who were healed by Him as well.

You aren't getting the point of this thread, I'm afraid. You say that it is the devil's doings which create images of other gods and prophets but how are you to know that it isn't the devil (or devil equivalent) of another religion that has created the image of your god? This is what I was getting at. The devil exists in Islam as well. Perhaps it was he that was deceiving you to avoid you from the true faith of Islam (for example).

Also the evidence, from my understanding (I may be wrong as I haven't spent much time on this aspect of research), but the same book which reports the event of the resurrection (The Bible) says the witnesses which were present at the time. Since the data in the Bible about the resurrection cannot be verified, neither can the witnesses present.

Please link me to the best site for proof of Jesus' resurrection which you agree with.

Upvote 0

Digit

Senior Veteran
Mar 4, 2007
Australia
✟12,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi mulimulix, a fellow Aussie! :>

I have been on these forums before, but not for a couple of months. During those couple of months, I have done a stack of research on Atheism, Christianity and religion in general and my view hasn't changed. I am still a full-blooded atheist and see little reason to change.

Do not see me as someone who has made my mind up and has no chance of changing. I would gladly convert to a religion should I see sufficient evidence and reason to do so.

One huge reason that I do not follow Christianity or any religion it that other religions exist. Let me explain:

• I live in Australia; not the most religious country by any means but still a Christian nation.
  • I only have one Christian friend. I am technically Jewish never for one second followed Judaism, and as a result, almost all of my friends are Jewish or atheist.
  • The only Christian experience I have had was when I went to a Christening when I was 8 (I am 15 now).
  • Almost all of the many, many hours of video I have watched on the internet of religion has been about Christianity and I therefore use that as my main example
  • When I hear people who are so confident that Christianity is the real deal, I think for a second about it and then figure that someone in India is just as confident about Hinduism, just like someone in Iran about Islam, just like someone in Israel about Judaism.
  • I'm not saying if Christianity was the only religion, I'd definitely believe in it, I'm really asking you if it ever crosses your mind (assuming you are Christian) that there are more people in the world who not only disagree with your religion, but believe in something completely different to you and yet, are just as confident they are doing the right thing.

As an atheist, I think about my religious choices literally every day, if not, every hour and have never strongly considered a religion partly for that reason.

Good quote: "Out of the thousands of religions ever made, either one is right, or none are right"
I think your question is pretty honest and sincere, as I've heard it often before and it really seems to weigh on people's minds. I would like to mention one thing at this point, which is that you attribute religion to the area/culture you are born into. Two points about this, first up you are Jewish but are an atheist so clearly that doesn't hold true for you. Secondly, drawing a conclusion on something based on how it comes about, is a fallacy, known as the genetic fallacy. It's like saying, that someone is a Hindu because she was raised in India. On the outside the logical connection seems quite straightforward but upon closer inspection it doesn't hold true - as I said for instance, your culture would be Jewish, but you are an atheist, there are American Muslims, and Chinese Christians.

Now really, the way I approached this way back when I started questioning my beliefs, was to get a good foundation in how to critically examine something, without a good foundation, you are just a tiny ship lost in a huge storm, and likely will never find land. If you are interested I would strongly suggest checking out Reasonable Faith, just Google it. Anyhow, every religion will stand or fall based on the veracity (truthfulness) of it's claims. It is for this reason that I believe and feel very confident in Christianity, putting aside that I believe and feel like I have a connection and relationship with God on a personal level which I think at this stage won't carry much weight with you. ;) And that's it really, I just started thinking of things and then researching them in regards to the Biblical context.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the same book which reports the event of the resurrection (The Bible) says the witnesses which were present at the time. Since the data in the Bible about the resurrection cannot be verified, neither can the witnesses present.

Please link me to the best site for proof of Jesus' resurrection which you agree with.

You aren't listening to our response! Our best source of info is Christ, alive in each one of us responding to you! All the book does is confirms it, and fills us in on some details. I am another one telling you I've been healed, and my life has been saved. Repeatedly. You don't have to believe me, but you do have to ask why I would lie about it. Go ahead, make up a story; this should be good ^_^

As for G-d drawing you, inviting you to Salvation? He's been doing that for the past year, and you have as much evidence of that as any of us ever had. You have chosen to harden your heart and reject Him, and you have no promise that the offer will still be good tomorrow. If you still have this interest today, you do have the guarantee you can find Him, if you seek Him with your whole heart. Personally I didn't find that to be so easy, and it took some time to get there. Time spent reading the Bible, that is. And praying for G-d to grant what I needed where I came up short. Like I didn't have a whole heart to seek Him with, for instance; He offers a solution for that.

Your lack of insight into your complaint about Judaism is astonishing! You should learn something about it. Go ahead and dig into the issue instead of just pretending to know, which is all you've done so far.

If you really do like to study then I submit these articles to you. They go in depth to these issues, and I would recommend a different thread for a full discussion of them so as to not derail the main topic of this thread.

http://www.tektonics.org/lp/outrage.html
What about God’s cruelty against the Midianites

I already started a thread on that,
http://www.christianforums.com/t7483025/

and it includes the second link. I'll add the first. These are issues we all need to thoroughly hash out. I cringe when I encounter a Christian who can't deal with this stuff. Mr OP, you really show you haven't learned squat when you say we "need to read the OT." You simply don't have the info needed to make a decision, which is what my first questions to you were about - which you never answered.

Further, you start out with an open mind, seeking info. Then you turn your mind off, sealing info out. Not a productive way to make progress, is it? Maybe pick one or the other and stick with that a while ..

Upvote 0

mulimulix

Free Thinker
Apr 20, 2010
Sydney, Australia
✟8,176.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
You aren't listening to our response! Our best source of info is Christ, alive in each one of us responding to you! All the book does is confirms it, and fills us in on some details. I am another one telling you I've been healed, and my life has been saved. Repeatedly. You don't have to believe me, but you do have to ask why I would lie about it. Go ahead, make up a story; this should be good ^_^

As for G-d drawing you, inviting you to Salvation? He's been doing that for the past year, and you have as much evidence of that as any of us ever had. You have chosen to harden your heart and reject Him, and you have no promise that the offer will still be good tomorrow. If you still have this interest today, you do have the guarantee you can find Him, if you seek Him with your whole heart. Personally I didn't find that to be so easy, and it took some time to get there. Time spent reading the Bible, that is. And praying for G-d to grant what I needed where I came up short. Like I didn't have a whole heart to seek Him with, for instance; He offers a solution for that.

Your lack of insight into your complaint about Judaism is astonishing! You should learn something about it. Go ahead and dig into the issue instead of just pretending to know, which is all you've done so far.

How has god drawn me to salvation? What sign has he given me to believe this? But sort of more back to my original question, how was I/am I supposed to know that it is a sign from him?

Regarding yours and others healings, first off, did you watch the video which was linked to me by Migdala? If so, do you seriously believe it? I do not understand how anyone can just accept that and then when you show it to someone like me, you expect me to believe it! Give me a break! I could make that video and pretend I'm healing people through the power of the lord. But before I rant on about that video, back to your point. I'm interested to hear what your healing was if you are comfortable sharing it. I am not saying you are lying about the healing aspect of it, I am saying it wasn't the work of god that healed it. The placebo effect can be pretty amazing at times.

You say it took you time to get there, when referring to Christianity and god, but what drew you there in the first place. This is what I don't understand. If you were anything like me, there would be no reason to do so. What I mean by this, to avoid further confusion, is that I haven't seen reason to believe in any religion (let alone Christianity) and my life is fine without it. I often use the saying 'Don't chance what's going well' or something like that.

I've been doing Jewish studies at school for 11 years. I know a little about Judaism and I've had every opportunity to be an observant Jew; I even went to a preschool at a synagogue. Nothing has ever appealed to me and from the first exposure to the stories of Purim and Passover in particular, I believed the general part like the Jews being enslaved in Egypt but never the parting of the Red Sea and so on. Even now, they say there is no archaeological of Jewish people ever being in Egypt.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How has god drawn me to salvation?

You've cared about this for a year now. The only reason is Him, "knocking on the door of your heart," so to speak. There's not a single other explanation that accounts for this.

What sign has he given me to believe this?

To this generation, no sign shall be given except the sign of Jonah. (That gets more complicated by 2 facts: 1 is the meaning of generation, the other is Jonah means the Gospel of Jesus' death, burial and resurrection. That's the only sign you get. Once you start hanging around w/ miracle workers, you're being re-generated and no longer merely degenerating.)

But sort of more back to my original question, how was I/am I supposed to know that it is a sign from him?

See above, and now add to that that people are sharing our own relevant experience with you. This type of thing does work better face-to-face, which what a good, Bible believing POWERFUL Church is about. Find one.

Regarding yours and others healings, first off, did you watch the video which was linked to me by Migdala?

Kind sir, I'm quite certain my own healings are not on that video or any other, as it wasn't done on camera. Your questions is not sensible. As for the video, no I didn't watch it.

You say it took you time to get there, when referring to Christianity and god, but what drew you there in the first place. This is what I don't understand.

According to medical science I should've been dead 3 decades ago. That's what happens when you can't breathe. I got to the place in my life where I was so low the only direction I could look was up, and I found G-d was looking for me. Not everyone is as hard-hearted as I was, and this is no placebo effect. Placebos can't defy gravity either, even if it doesn't save your life which G-d has certainly done for me in that way as well. The funny thing? Those things didn't change my life. Not even when He showed me hell.

What changed my life was His word. Really delving into it, and Him revealing Himself to me through it.

I believed the general part like the Jews being enslaved in Egypt but never the parting of the Red Sea and so on. Even now, they say there is no archaeological of Jewish people ever being in Egypt.

This is funny. You believe Jews were Egyptian slaves, but Egyptian records show at the time they abhorred slavery. Of course you do realize the corruption of Egyptian's published records, don't you? And slaves wouldn't leave an archeological imprint. They would leave some trace of the Exodus though, and this has been found! The rock that flowed with water in the desert, the posts where they crossed the Sea, the mount where Moses got the 10 commandments with the burned top and everything. The ruins of Sodom and Gomorrah have been found, and the entire area is nothing but sulfur that has burned, with no explanation other than it fell from the sky.

Now ask yourself why media has refused to report it. Look at what Gov't(s) control those lands. Look at what Gov'ts have been removing Hebrew artifacts from the Temple area by the truckload, trying to remove any trace of evidence of ancient Jewish settlement.

Upvote 0

mulimulix

Free Thinker
Apr 20, 2010
Sydney, Australia
✟8,176.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
You've cared about this for a year now. The only reason is Him, "knocking on the door of your heart," so to speak. There's not a single other explanation that accounts for this.

If you mean 'not a single other explanation' how I think you mean it, you are saying that my interest in religion is the sign from god. I don't really know what to say to this but I have always had an interest in the topic, but what actually triggered me to star looking things up was when we were learning about evolution in class (which is mandatory). I don't see that as a sign from god as every other school child in Australia does the same thing. I don't know if it is the same story in the U.S (I hope it is).

According to medical science I should've been dead 3 decades ago. That's what happens when you can't breathe. I got to the place in my life where I was so low the only direction I could look was up, and I found G-d was looking for me. Not everyone is as hard-hearted as I was, and this is no placebo effect. Placebos can't defy gravity either, even if it doesn't save your life which G-d has certainly done for me in that way as well. The funny thing? Those things didn't change my life. Not even when He showed me hell.

Wow, that's quite the paragraph. Ill start with the first sentence. The reason I don't see medical 'miracles' as proof or evidence for god are for a couple of reasons. Firstly, these medical miracles happen to everybody, not just Christians. It is only the times that it happens to Christians that people say it must be the work of god. My dad had a melanoma found on his shoulder four years ago. If he hadn't have noticed the infected mole change colour or noticed it a few weeks later, he would have died. So god does these miracles for everyone at random or no one. Then there's the argument that I mentioned earlier that no one curiously recognised involving the question of amputees not being healed. I'm sure you have heard it.

This is funny. You believe Jews were Egyptian slaves, but Egyptian records show at the time they abhorred slavery. Of course you do realize the corruption of Egyptian's published records, don't you? And slaves wouldn't leave an archeological imprint. They would leave some trace of the Exodus though, and this has been found! The rock that flowed with water in the desert, the posts where they crossed the Sea, the mount where Moses got the 10 commandments with the burned top and everything. The ruins of Sodom and Gomorrah have been found, and the entire area is nothing but sulfur that has burned, with no explanation other than it fell from the sky.

No, I do not believe Jews were enslaved in Egypt any more. I used to and I made a little typo. It should have said 'there is no archaeological evidence.' I missed out the word 'evidence.' As for the other evidence of Exodus, please enlighten me as to the source in which you got this information. I have only ever heard the argument which found a chariot at the bottom of the red sea. Not only was this not verified, but the conclusion people have come to is that it coincides with a story from thousands of years ago; there is no way it happened by chance.

Please tell me if there is anything important I missed and I'll answer it

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you mean 'not a single other explanation' how I think you mean it, you are saying that my interest in religion is the sign from god. I don't really know what to say to this but I have always had an interest in the topic, but what actually triggered me to star looking things up was when we were learning about evolution in class (which is mandatory). I don't see that as a sign from god as every other school child in Australia does the same thing. I don't know if it is the same story in the U.S (I hope it is).

The part I bolded is a logical fallacy. You don't know "every other school child in Australia," nor do you know the extent of their interest. It is human nature to expect every else is just like you, (me) but that's not reality. This is a good place to introduce a specific concept:

"You have said, "Seek my face." My heart says to you, "Your face, Lord , do I seek." (Psalm 27:8)

medical miracles happen to everybody

No they don't. What you're missing is the specifically Christian event of when signs and wonders follow the Word of G-d, but continuing on:

My dad had a melanoma found on his shoulder four years ago. If he hadn't have noticed the infected mole change colour or noticed it a few weeks later, he would have died.

Sounds like the only possible "miracle" here is a mirror, to see? He found something unusual and went to the Doctor, who took care of it? Some might consider that a 'miracle of modern science' and I'm glad your Dad's ok, but that's, you know ... not the same thing.

As for the other evidence of Exodus, please enlighten me as to the source in which you got this information. I have only ever heard the argument which found a chariot at the bottom of the red sea. Not only was this not verified, but the conclusion people have come to is that it coincides with a story from thousands of years ago; there is no way it happened by chance.

Your last sentence here confuses me? 1 lone chariot is not a chance occurrence, and it probably does come from 1,000's of years ago, but a little critical thought (don't lose that, btw!) prevents us from drawing any significant conclusions from that.

And my info comes from people who have been there, but those areas have long been sealed off by the Gov'ts involved. What are they afraid of people seeing in barren wilderness that justifies the use of resources to keep people away? Things that would substantiate their antagonist, the Judeo-Christian beliefs. While I'm not in favor of it, the us/them mentality has shaped much of human history.

The part you missed? Where you open the door of your heart for Jesus to come in and lead you into Eternal Life, beginning immediately. It does take strong motivation to do this, or at least that's what I've found ..

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Good quote: "Out of the thousands of religions ever made, either one is right, or none are right"

Sorry, but that is just silly. If you said that of breakfast cereal, you would see it. "Out of the thousands of cereals ever made, either one is the right one, or else none is." What nonsense!

There is such a thing as the right cereal for one person on a given day, and another right cereal for another person on another day. Neither is wrong; both are right.

So, here is an alternative pov; 'We all see as through a glass darkly. One day we will see face to face.'
1 Corinthians 13.

One huge reason that I do not follow Christianity or any religion it that other religions exist.

One huge reason I don't eat Walkers crisps is that there are other brands of crisps out there.

Your loss.

:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Digit

Senior Veteran
Mar 4, 2007
Australia
✟12,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey mulimulix, did you want to respond to my post? I understand you have many people engaged with you at the moment. But it's honestly my belief that this thread is going to spiral out of control as people are domino'ing from one issue to the next, without addressing the specifics. One point you brought up was the eyewitnesses to Jesus' resurrection, and how we can discount them since they cannot be externally validated. This isn't how historical method works. I would like to talk about this more if you are interested. Cheers!

Upvote 0

Digit

Senior Veteran
Mar 4, 2007
Australia
✟12,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, quite right. That is the defining element of Christianity, but it's a separate issue from thinking if we have a Creator, if our our world is 100% naturalistic. Of course, in that case how do you explain the resurrection?
I... don't know if this was addressed to me?

Upvote 0

Key

The Opener of Locks
Apr 10, 2004
Visit site
✟19,007.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
  • When I hear people who are so confident that Christianity is the real deal, I think for a second about it and then figure that someone in India is just as confident about Hinduism, just like someone in Iran about Islam, just like someone in Israel about Judaism.
I loved this. Mainly because you would be correct. But allow me to answer this question as best I can.

When I stand before Judgment, I would rather stand before this god-being, having tried to find him, then stood before him and denied his existence at all.

If I am wrong, and their is no god-being... I don't loose anything.

• I'm not saying if Christianity was the only religion, I'd definitely believe in it, I'm really asking you if it ever crosses your mind (assuming you are Christian) that there are more people in the world who not only disagree with your religion, but believe in something completely different to you and yet, are just as confident they are doing the right thing.
This question crosses my mind all the time, but at the same time, they can't agree either, given that Christianity is the largest religion, followed by Islam.

By quick process of elimination, if I look at the two largest religions, I see striking similarities.

Both acknowledge Abraham.
Both recognize Moses.
Both acknowledge Jesus.

If you look at Atheism, which is I think the third, one of the most predominate Atheist in the world, recognize that the teaching of Jesus were the most influential moral teaching of our time.

so I must be doing something right following him.

As an atheist, I think about my religious choices literally every day, if not, every hour and have never strongly considered a religion partly for that reason.

If you convert, that will not change, being a Christian is a daily, hourly, event by event, choice we make. It is not a one time deal.

A better phrase.

"All that Matters is Jesus, everything else is trifles"

God Bless

Hope I helped.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I find Christianity to be true because throughout my life, God has been there for me. When looking into different religious paths, Christianity seemed the most appealing. So I chose Christianity. I was already convinced of the existence of God, but the Bible particularly convinced me of the existence of the Christian God.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How has god drawn me to salvation? What sign has he given me to believe this? But sort of more back to my original question, how was I/am I supposed to know that it is a sign from him?
It's ingrained to the human to wonder about the world around us, and find the true source of life. Our whole life tells us God must have done it. Why?

Regarding yours and others healings, first off, did you watch the video which was linked to me by Migdala? If so, do you seriously believe it? I do not understand how anyone can just accept that and then when you show it to someone like me, you expect me to believe it! Give me a break!
Right on. The true miracles are only God's will, remember Jesus felt His power robbed once and immediately confronted the convert, blessed her and continued.

Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mulimulix-

I think that what you are looking for is an explanation for why we who are Christians accept Christianity as our religion. Here are my reasons.

1. I believe in a Supreme Being, to whom we will all give an accounting. He is not a mayor, a governor, a president or a prime minister; he is a King. We answer to him, not he to us.

2. I believe that there is an afterlife that is both real and tangible. We will either spend eternity in God's presence, which we Christians aspire to, or we will spend eternity separated from God, which we Christians do not aspire to.

3. I believe that there is no such thing as being 'good enough' if we are to be judged by our own works. Either we are perfect from the day we are born until the time our bodies are put in our graves, or we are lost.

4. I do not believe that we can achieve perfection through the keeping of Mosaic Law, as is found in the Torah. Its purpose was never to be seen as a 'roadmap to heaven' but rather was, and still is, to be seen as the means whereby Moses took a people consisting of twelve different tribes and turned them into a cohesive fighting unit. The reward which God was willing to bestow on the Hebrews for their being loyal to his laws and commandments can be found in Deuteronomy 7:12-15.

BTW, I also believe that Josephus was accurate when he described Moses in The Jewish Antiquities as at one time having been a general in pharaoh's army, who had led that army on a successful mission to crush an uprising in what is present-day Ethiopia. This form of military combat is what he taught a ragtag mob (the Hebrew nation) in the wilderness in order to make them successful at waging war on their enemies. Welcome to the way wars were waged circa 1500 B.C.

5. I believe that God himself, realizing that we mortals would never measure up to what he requires of all who would earn their own way into his presence, had a decision to make. Either he could 'write us off' and go on with his other work, wherever that might be, or he could lay out the blueprint for what would be a rescue mission.

6. I believe he chose the rescue mission.

7. I believe that the righteousness which we could never obtain through our own efforts was obtained for us by God himself, with the full foreknowledge and consent of the person we call Jesus Christ, Son of God, Son of Man, and Lord and Saviour. It is this righteousness which is required of all who would attain eternal life in God's presence. What God demands, God provides.

8. I believe that there is nothing whatsoever that we can do to augment this righteousness. The sole foundation for our salvation is our accepting it as a free gift earned for us by God himself. What we do in return for having accepted his gift of salvation is to be seen by us as merely showing our gratitude for the salvation we have been given.

Here is one of the passages which I have quoted in the past, and which helps others understand what the foundation of Christianity is:

Moses describes in this way the righteousness that is by the law: "The man who does these things will live by them." But the righteousness that is by faith says: "Do not say in your heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?' " (that is, to bring Christ down) "or 'Who will descend into the deep?' " (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile - the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:5-13,NIV)

That's it. Our only assurance of salvation is due to our accepting as fact that God himself realized that we were all 'too far gone' to obtain it. So he obtained it for us, and gives it to us if we ask him for it.

We Christians do not trust in our own ability to hold on to God; we trust in God's ability to hold on to us.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟676,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello Mulimulix:

You raised a very interesting set of questions. I believe you are truly seeking to find God and he has already found you and is working in your life. There is really no need to wrestle with all the details of any faith. No one will be able to give you total logical satisfaction, it must be something you "feel".

Think how do any of us "know" anything? Even science that tries to be very analytical will quickly admit that our view of reality if limited by our perceptions. This is why even mathematics must rely on axioms. (An unprovable rule or first principle accepted as true because it is self-evident or particularly useful.)

We all have "faith" in something just to function in life. Many atheists have "faith" in the scientific method for example. Our only real choice is what to have faith in. Practice having faith in Christ, it won't be long before you will "know" he exists and loves you.

Upvote 0