Why Haven't I Spoken In Tongues?

HolyRevival

Aug 1, 2013
✟7,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A couple of weeks ago I was watching a Live Sermon with Rodney Howard Brown on the internet where they were singing a praising the Lord for awhile and then they gave a few testimonies on how God was doing these great things in their life and when I got through watching it I just felt a strong connection with the Lord and I started praying a little on how thankful I was for some stuff and I felt like I was interrupted with a strong feeling to receive the Holy Spirit Baptism because I had been holding off on doing it because I either wanted to do it in private or in a place where multiple people were receiving it because I wasn't sure how the whole process of tongues would go. I didn't know if I would be praying in tongues where my whole house could here me or if it was a choice. And Frankly i would have been embarrased if other people would have heard me in my house. So my mind was back in forth on it with a strong compulsion by The Holy Spirit nudging me to do it. I was in my mind saying "not here because i don't want people to hear me if I start praying in Tongues" and "Its 9:00 at night shouldn't i be doing this somewhere meaningful and at a good hour?" And I was back and forth back and forth and I Finally made the leap and said "Lord please give me the Holy Spirit Baptism" and my heart started racing and it felt as if electricity was coarsing through my whole body and I started praising and worshiping and i thought I would automatically just start speaking in tongues but nothing was happening with the tongues so I started trying to speak(very quietly) the way I've heard people speak like that and I kept that up for awhile and thought at the time I was doing it but the next day I was trying to speak in tongues and I realised "i think im just muttering nonsense that im just making up in my mind and if I were praying in tongues there would be some kind of STRONG connection with God" and I just felt absolutely no connection and im just making up words that sound kind of Arabic(y). So what am I missing did I not receive tongues because that night I didn't want to speak out loud or do I not know how to use it? What am I missing?

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
A couple of weeks ago I was watching a Live Sermon with Rodney Howard Brown on the internet where they were singing a praising the Lord for awhile and then they gave a few testimonies on how God was doing these great things in their life and when I got through watching it I just felt a strong connection with the Lord and I started praying a little on how thankful I was for some stuff and I felt like I was interrupted with a strong feeling to receive the Holy Spirit Baptism because I had been holding off on doing it because I either wanted to do it in private or in a place where multiple people were receiving it because I wasn't sure how the whole process of tongues would go. I didn't know if I would be praying in tongues where my whole house could here me or if it was a choice. And Frankly i would have been embarrased if other people would have heard me in my house. So my mind was back in forth on it with a strong compulsion by The Holy Spirit nudging me to do it. I was in my mind saying "not here because i don't want people to hear me if I start praying in Tongues" and "Its 9:00 at night shouldn't i be doing this somewhere meaningful and at a good hour?" And I was back and forth back and forth and I Finally made the leap and said "Lord please give me the Holy Spirit Baptism" and my heart started racing and it felt as if electricity was coarsing through my whole body and I started praising and worshiping and i thought I would automatically just start speaking in tongues but nothing was happening with the tongues so I started trying to speak(very quietly) the way I've heard people speak like that and I kept that up for awhile and thought at the time I was doing it but the next day I was trying to speak in tongues and I realised "i think im just muttering nonsense that im just making up in my mind and if I were praying in tongues there would be some kind of STRONG connection with God" and I just felt absolutely no connection and im just making up words that sound kind of Arabic(y). So what am I missing did I not receive tongues because that night I didn't want to speak out loud or do I not know how to use it? What am I missing?

Not all will speak in tongues. I know many Christians with evidence of having the Holy Spirit baptism, but they don't all speak in tongues.

My wife and I show other evidence of the Holy Spirit baptism, but do not speak in tongues. My wife has desired speaking in tongues for years, but is unable to do so.

I am not saying that speaking in tongues has vanished, but rather that not all will speak in tongues.

Upvote 0

ddyer

Priest
Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
✟7,717.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Gift of Tongues, or the "Gift of Different Languages"

By Dustin Dyer

I do not wish to offend anyone, I just want clear up some things for those who may not be clear on the subject. The Bible states this gift is a sign to nonbelievers so that they might believe. This gift also serves as a refreshment to the believer.
It also builds bridges between language barriers and our expression of love to God, it allows us to express our love to God in languages that have different ways and different words that hold different meanings of expressing love better than our own language. Paul states that when we speak in tongues we are only speaking it to God and NOT to man. If one attempts to speak in tongues directly to a group of people, this is not the gift of tongues, that doesn't mean what they said wasn't a gift of teaching or prophecy, its just not the gift of tongues. The gift of tongues will never be spoken during a teaching. Because the gift of tongues is vocalized it cannot happen during a teaching, God is a God of order and will never interrupt one gift with a another. The gift of tongues is also a sign, example: if a French man who speaks no English is present in a place where God is being praised and those who love him are expressing their love to him in English. If this French man cannot understand English, God can put the gift of different Languages into someone present and they will begin speaking in French whether they could before or not. They are able to speak a language that they could never speak on their own but by God filling them with this gift, the French man is able to understand. This serves not only as a language barrier but as a great sign from God to his people.
Paul states there are 4 guidelines to the proper use of this gift, 1. Every word spoken out loud must be understood and there must be an interpretation for everyone present to understand it, God desires everyone to benefit, so if it is spoken out loud there will always be someone there to interpret it. 2. Tongues must never be spoken as a GROUP in front of nonbelievers, this may frighten them and push them away. 3. Only 2 or at the most 3 people at one time will speak at any one service and it must be one at a time and there must be interpretation. 4. No tongues will be spoken out load WITHOUT an interpreter. Having an interpreter means that God gifts someone who doesn't normally understand the tongue but can due to God's gift of interpretation or having someone in the group that just happens to speak the language.
The gift of tongues does not mean being baptized in the Holy Spirit, God chooses to give you this gift, it is not a requirement. Tongues will never be gibberish, it will always be actual words. Source 1 Cor. 12:10

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

... if I told you to say a prayer in English would you just sit and wait for something to move your lips.... just give it a voice and do it in prayer...
God bless, andrea

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,283.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Holy Revival, the thoughts you had the next day sometimes happen. But don't let that keep you from speaking in tongues. You don't have to feel a strong connection with Yahweh because speaking in tongues isn't based on our feelings or emotionalism. Agree with Andrea we have to move our lips. I encourage you to spend some more time with Yahweh and deliberately focus on Him.

In response to other posts:
There's a diversities of tongues (such as I Cor 12;27). Tongues are for edifiication either for the believer usually referring to as prayer language (I Cor 14:4) or for the church which is the gift of tongues with interpretation (I Cor 14:5). Some purposes for tongues for believer edification include
s:
- Builds up our faith and keep ourselves in the love of God. (Jude 1: 20-21)
- Magnify God. (Acts 10:46)
- pray in The Spirit (I Cor 14:14; Ephesians 6:18; Rom 8:26-27; 1 Corinthians 14:4,15).

The tongues for believer edification is for all believers - if we will receive it. The groups listed in Scripture who received, it states that they all received:
[FONT=&quot]--[/FONT]-On the day of Pentecost in the upper room: Acts 2:4 "And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance"
2- ---At Cornelius’ house filled with friends and family who were baptized. Acts 10:44 ”While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God."
3- ---The Disciples of Ephesus Acts 19:2 "He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.” 6”And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. 7 And all the men were about twelve."

(
The group that doesn't say all received is on the day of Pentecost, not in the Upper Room, where there were mockers of tongues. Acts 2:13).

"Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?" I Cor 12:30 Since it's listed between the gifts of healing and gift of interpretation, it's referring to the gift of tongues with interpretation for the church so no not every believer is going to have this gift.

We're not to forbid speaking in tongues. I Cor 14:39

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
speaking in tongues happens when the substance of God reaches the deep parts of the mind that formed before we knew language . a lot of people are in silent awe . and others talk in baby language . 1st corinthains 14 instructs those speaking in tongues to pray so they might interpret their tongue because they utter profound mysteries .. and if they can be translated tothe common tongue .. it will edify the church .

those sitting silent and in awe . listen . and write down what you learn .

that's what comes to me as a suggestion .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kemosabe

May 14, 2013
✟2,361.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
HolyRevival: my heart started racing and it felt as if electricity was coarsing through my whole body

Keep seeking and don't get discouraged.
Sounds like you were very close.
Just trust the Lord.

HolyRevival: I started trying to speak(very quietly) the way

Let the Lord give it to you.

As you can see, this will only lead to confusion and doubt.

Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
James 4.2-3 .... can't get what don't believe... or can't get if not walking the walk...

Not everyone is called to speak in tongues. It is not a requirement for salvation or living a fully edifying life of Christianity. God gives different gifts.

Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Keep seeking and don't get discouraged.
Sounds like you were very close.
Just trust the Lord.

Let the Lord give it to you.

As you can see, this will only lead to confusion and doubt.

If it is God's will we will have it. It is not about pleasing ourselves. Everyone has differing gifts given to us by God. One is not better than the others.

Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
*sigh*

yeah . that's what some recent denominations did to the gift . everyone who doesn't have feels the need to respond defensively .

I don't agree. Tongues is not the end all and be all. I have been asked by God to do different things and He has provided the gifts to complete those tasks. It's about eternal betterment and God's glory. Not about shame if one does not have a certain gift or our desire to have a 'special' gift. One body...differing parts...ALL important.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everything scripturally, and in it's context. I suggest you read prayerfully and carefully what Paul has to say about the spiritual gifts in 1st Corinthians 12-14. With regard to tongues, pay close attention to what Paul says at the end of chapter 12, and then look at what he specifically said about tongues in chapter 14... let this be your guide to who is gifted with tongues (or not), and how tongues are supposed to operate in a congregational setting. You will find that those who say we are all supposed to receive tongues as a sign of our baptism in the Spirit are contradicting the Bible, and their leaders are usually not restraining the use of tongues in their church setting the way the Bible commands.

Chapter 13 is the TRUE sign of who is walking in the Spirit and who is not.

God bless you all.

Upvote 0

retlaw

Dec 2, 2010
✟8,606.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just felt absolutely no connection and im just making up words that sound kind of Arabic(y). So what am I missing did I not receive tongues because that night I didn't want to speak out loud or do I not know how to use it? What am I missing?

I want to thank you for your honesty because many wouldn't want to really talk about their difficulty and fear of tongues. 20 years or so back a lot of churches got obsessed with it and felt if you just practiced (babble like an idiot) that it would come. I had a dude try to tell me to just start talking jibberish and God will take it from there. I was being prayed over for a serious injury at the time so I was thinking "Are you freaking kidding me, my heads split open and you're wanting me to try to BS the almighty?!"

Anyway, It's been a couple of decades and I'm still waiting on my first non English word. I am convinced that IF tongues come to someone they come naturally and without any effort or fear. I'm also convinced that most Christians don't have that gift. I have seen the holy spirit move in my life in other ways, through prophetic prayer, sometimes he will get me to preaching the best sounding sermon I'll hear all year in my car on the way home from work. I'll stop sometimes and ask myself, "Who the heck do I think I'm preaching to" and suddenly the word "you" pops in my mind.

Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I want to thank you for your honesty because many wouldn't want to really talk about their difficulty and fear of tongues. 20 years or so back a lot of churches got obsessed with it and felt if you just practiced (babble like an idiot) that it would come. I had a dude try to tell me to just start talking jibberish and God will take it from there. I was being prayed over for a serious injury at the time so I was thinking "Are you freaking kidding me, my heads split open and you're wanting me to try to BS the almighty?!"

Anyway, It's been a couple of decades and I'm still waiting on my first non English word. I am convinced that IF tongues come to someone they come naturally and without any effort or fear. I'm also convinced that most Christians don't have that gift. I have seen the holy spirit move in my life in other ways, through prophetic prayer, sometimes he will get me to preaching the best sounding sermon I'll hear all year in my car on the way home from work. I'll stop sometimes and ask myself, "Who the heck do I think I'm preaching to" and suddenly the word "you" pops in my mind.

Yes, God is good and works in different ways. I too think it will come naturally as well 'if' it is meant to be.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
If your wife wants to speak in tongues, tell her to read Dave Roberson's book on "The Walk of the Spirit - The Walk of Power". He speaks a lot about tongues and it is a very anointed book. It examines the scriptures about new tongues and the benefits. Truly available for all believers. Here's a link to a free download from his website. Very edifying for anyone who cares to look into the subject. Highly recommended.

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

... the point of telling someone to "speak gibberish" is NOT to fool anyone. It is to give a voice to the language. If you want to pray you have to open your mouth and give any language voice.... by saying gibberish -- it just means let what ever come out and don't try to control it... That said, I know spirit filled people who do not speak in tongues. I don't know why and as long as they are happy where they are - its fine. It may be that some people don't get it just so others can know they are fine without it. I do, my husband does not. Its not a competition.
God bless, andrea

Upvote 0