Jan 20, 2010
Co.Mayo, Ireland
Visit site
✟8,183.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Apparently, you have not studied what the entire New Testament (and scriptures that foretell of this in the OT) has said about speaking in tongues. That is the problem.

Had you done your homework, you would know that it is God's will for ALL New Covenant believers to use their prayer language so the Holy Spirit could pray the perfect will of God thru us and so the devil would be clueless on what we are sayin!

If you wanna miss out on that, and if you don't mind satan understanding everything you are saying in your communication with the Lord... have at it.

Yes, we all have to decide how far we are going to go in following what the Word of God teaches and how far we go in taking advantage of everything Jesus Christ provided when He gave gifts unto men. I understand that not everybody is interested in all the things Jesus has given us and just want a few things that they are comfortable with.

Your false teaching - that is the problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Naomanos

Jan 27, 2011
✟8,437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you wanna miss out on that, and if you don't mind satan understanding everything you are saying in your communication with the Lord... have at it.

Are you saying that Satan is stronger than the Lord, so that when we communicate with Him, He is powerless to stop Satan from wrecking what we're praying for or about?

I pray silently in my mind to God, Satan cannot read our minds.

I also do not speak in tongues or in some private prayer language and I have asked to receive them. I do not believe that all will be able to do so, not because they do not want too, but because it's not gifted or given to them.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,566.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that Satan is stronger than the Lord, so that when we communicate with Him, He is powerless to stop Satan from wrecking what we're praying for or about?

I pray silently in my mind to God, Satan cannot read our minds.

I also do not speak in tongues or in some private prayer language and I have asked to receive them. I do not believe that all will be able to do so, not because they do not want too, but because it's not gifted or given to them.

I agree with you that Satan cannot read our minds if the Holy Spirit abides within us, and certainly that Satan cannon enter our minds and inhibit our communcation with the Lord. With the Holy Spirit actually within us, how can Satan obstruct that communication, except that we think Satan is more powerful than He?

But we can obstruct that communication because of the unrenewed portions of our own minds.

From a forensic point of view, I have a theory:

I accept that "prayer language" exists--because scripture does say so.

I doubt, however, that the physical sound made by somone speaking in tongues is the actual medium of the prayer. My theory is that the sound forms a comm-jam function within the mind of the person doing the prayer, blocking out other thoughts while his spirit prays to the Lord.

This is not, however, a necessarily superior form of prayer--or Jesus would have said so when His disciples asked Him how to pray.

But it serves a similar function as fasting--it's a denial of the calls of the flesh to our minds that would normally hamper prayer.

Upvote 0

Naomanos

Jan 27, 2011
✟8,437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you that Satan cannot read our minds if the Holy Spirit abides within us, and certainly that Satan cannon enter our minds and inhibit our communcation with the Lord. With the Holy Spirit actually within us, how can Satan obstruct that communication, except that we think Satan is more powerful than He?

But we can obstruct that communication because of the unrenewed portions of our own minds.

From a forensic point of view, I have a theory:

I accept that "prayer language" exists--because scripture does say so.

I doubt, however, that the physical sound made by somone speaking in tongues is the actual medium of the prayer. My theory is that the sound forms a comm-jam function within the mind of the person doing the prayer, blocking out other thoughts while his spirit prays to the Lord.

This is not, however, a necessarily superior form of prayer--or Jesus would have said so when His disciples asked Him how to pray.

But it serves a similar function as fasting--it's a denial of the calls of the flesh to our minds that would normally hamper prayer.

I feel as you do, you just explained it better than I could.

I believe that God hears all our prayers as perfect, even though we ourselves are not perfect. We can be speaking any language and God hears it as perfect be cause the Spirit that resides within us is speaking it perfectly to Him.

Upvote 0

Gospel Guy

Headed Home!
Aug 11, 2013
✟1,829.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Your false teaching - that is the problem.

Actually, ignoring what God said about this in scripture is the problem!
satan has always attacked praying in the Spirit hard because he is desperately afraid of it. If you knew what the scripture said about it, you would understand why.

Because you "do not believe" is exactly why you don't. You have no taken God at His Word and acted like His Word is actually true on this subject.

God cannot give something to you when you refuse to believe... what's He gonna do, force it on you? He cannot do that, no more than He can force people out in the world to get born-again.

I believe that God hears all our prayers as perfect, even though we ourselves are not perfect. We can be speaking any language and God hears it as perfect be cause the Spirit that resides within us is speaking it perfectly to Him.

Actually, He only hears prayers prayed in faith based upon His promises since He can only do that which He promised to do which is what the Cross paid for.

According to scripture, only when we pray on our prayer language (tongues) does the Holy Spirit pray thru us which would be the perfect will of God being prayed thru us as the Holy Spirit searches our heart and prays thru us, and for us according to God's perfect will according to what we need at the time while purging and building for our future in Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2013
Praying for my wife's salvation
✟15,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To the OP: not everyone speaks in tongues. It's one of many spiritual gifts. Don't get down about it like I did for a while. The desire to feel the power of God can lead to dangerous places if you try to force what the Lord has not given you. I haven't been able to discover what gift I have yet but I'm sure I will if I'm patient. ^^;

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,566.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to scripture, only when we pray on our prayer language (tongues) does the Holy Spirit pray thru us which would be the perfect will of God being prayed thru us as the Holy Spirit searches our heart and prays thru us, and for us according to God's perfect will according to what we need at the time while purging and building for our future in Christ.

That that is, of course, why Jesus took pains to emphasize using the "prayer language" when He taught His disciples how to pray.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That that is, of course, why Jesus took pains to emphasize using the "prayer language" when He taught His disciples how to pray.

^_^

Yeah . babbling incomprehenisbly makes sense if God touches the part of us that is still like an infant and has not been translated into english . but after some time .. our minds learn what it means and just speak regular .

the whole tantric fit thing may be fun exercise but isn't really christian .

Upvote 0

Gospel Guy

Headed Home!
Aug 11, 2013
✟1,829.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Yes, mocking the ministry of the Holy Spirit will result in the hardening of your heart!

The Holy Spirit had not yet been given because Jesus was still with them at that point. They were not even born-again people since the new birth was not made available until after Jesus was raised from the dead and the Holy Spirit of Jesus Christ was poured out on the Day of Pentecost... but He did touch on teaching about the ministry of the Holy Spirit that would come after He left.

My question for you is... do you not believe the Jesus is responsible for all the teaching in the New Testament?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gospel Guy

Headed Home!
Aug 11, 2013
✟1,829.00
Faith
Word of Faith
circular logic is as tough to refute as it is to prove

Here, let me help you out with that... Yes, Jesus Christ is actually the One Who is responsible for all the teaching in the New Testament (as well as the entire Word of God, since He IS the Word) that speaks of praying in tongues which is praying in the Holy Ghost.

Trying to live for God without taking advantage of the full ministry of the Holy Ghost is like... going to town without any pants! :D

Sure, you'll eventually get there but you gonna be lookin funny when you do as though you are missing some equipment.

Upvote 0

Naomanos

Jan 27, 2011
✟8,437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually, ignoring what God said about this in scripture is the problem!
satan has always attacked praying in the Spirit hard because he is desperately afraid of it. If you knew what the scripture said about it, you would understand why.

Because you "do not believe" is exactly why you don't. You have no taken God at His Word and acted like His Word is actually true on this subject.

God cannot give something to you when you refuse to believe... what's He gonna do, force it on you? He cannot do that, no more than He can force people out in the world to get born-again.

Actually, He only hears prayers prayed in faith based upon His promises since He can only do that which He promised to do which is what the Cross paid for.

Yet, my wife and I have our prayers, and we do not pray in tongues.

Praying in tongues is not the end all be all of praying to God. That is what came to me last night while praying to God for answer to the issue of tongues. What also came to me is that there is something far greater than tongues and that's the relationship that I have with out Lord and savior.

Upvote 0

Gospel Guy

Headed Home!
Aug 11, 2013
✟1,829.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Praying in tongues is not the end all be all of praying to God. That is what came to me last night while praying to God for answer to the issue of tongues. What also came to me is that there is something far greater than tongues and that's the relationship that I have with out Lord and savior.

Nobody said it takes the place of your relationship with God... however, it is a major part of the ministry of the Holy Spirit that God gave to us.

Once can study what the scripture has to say about it and allow the Holy Spirit to pray thru us with this.. or go without this part of the Holy Spirit's ministry which is going without a major benefit of being born-again.

No biggie!

Upvote 0

Naomanos

Jan 27, 2011
✟8,437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nobody said it takes the place of your relationship with God... however, it is a major part of the ministry of the Holy Spirit that God gave to us.

Once can study what the scripture has to say about it and allow the Holy Spirit to pray thru us with this.. or go without this part of the Holy Spirit's ministry which is going without a major benefit of being born-again.

No biggie!

If after I prayed to God and He gave me a different answer than you, who is it I should be listening to?

Apparently, God doesn't put as much emphasis on it as you seemingly do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,566.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No biggie!

But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue. -- 1 Corinthians 14

Hopefully, then, you're doing well with your prophesies.

Upvote 0

Gospel Guy

Headed Home!
Aug 11, 2013
✟1,829.00
Faith
Word of Faith
If after I prayed to God and He gave me a different answer than you, who is it I should be listening to?

Apparently, God doesn't put as much emphasis on it as you seemingly do.

God must be confused... He put a bunch of stuff about it in His Word but is telling you to ignore it.

Maybe it's because you have already made up your mind to reject it and He has given up on trying to get you to take advantage of this equipment He has provided for the Body of Christ.

The Lord does allow people to go their own way concerning things, so at least you haven't decided to go be a drunk or some other work of the flesh that means you are turning away from having a relationship with God. That part is good...

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,566.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, mocking the ministry of the Holy Spirit will result in the hardening of your heart!

The Holy Spirit had not yet been given because Jesus was still with them at that point. They were not even born-again people since the new birth was not made available until after Jesus was raised from the dead and the Holy Spirit of Jesus Christ was poured out on the Day of Pentecost... but He did touch on teaching about the ministry of the Holy Spirit that would come after He left.

My question for you is... do you not believe the Jesus is responsible for all the teaching in the New Testament?

The problem is that you're making the speaking of tongues a necessary component of the ministry of the Holy Spirit...which is far more than scripture does.

This is not a new argument, not even on this board, and won't be resolved in this thread.

However, I've cast out demons, held back a storm, had a cut down to the bone healed to a pink scar within minutes, prophesied--and had those prophesies come true--and seen a number of other miracles and being used by God...without having spoken in tongues.

Upvote 0

Naomanos

Jan 27, 2011
✟8,437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God must be confused... He put a bunch of stuff about it in His Word but is telling you to ignore it.

Maybe it's because you have already made up your mind to reject it and He has given up on trying to get you to take advantage of this equipment He has provided for the Body of Christ.

The Lord does allow people to go their own way concerning things, so at least you haven't decided to go be a drunk or some other work of the flesh that means you are turning away from having a relationship with God. That part is good...

I read nothing in the Bible that states ALL will speak in tongues, or pray in tongues. There is no mention of all in there.

Look, I'm happy that you pray in tongues and are earnest for others to experience the same thing, but not all will pray in tongues, nor is tongues prayer needed to have a full relationship with God or be part of the Holy Spirit's ministry.

Upvote 0

Gospel Guy

Headed Home!
Aug 11, 2013
✟1,829.00
Faith
Word of Faith
No problem gentlemen... when you get to Heaven and the Lord reveals that His plan for your life would have been greatly enhanced had you allowed the Holy Spirit to pray the perfect will of God thru you... He will wipe the tears away from yo eyes!

You have a copy of the Word, so it's your responsibility to seek out this benefit.
I understand some are not even willing to search the scriptures on certain things, so... carry on!

Upvote 0