Why God created some when he knew they would experience hell?

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
no, because you will glorify God in all things, even in His giving the freedom to people who want nothing to do with His love.

This really does come down to God creating us for His pleasure and Glory.

I think Romans Chapter 9 reveals the answer to the OP's question:

God "has mercy upon whomever he wills, and he hardens the heart of whomever he wills," and that "depends not upon man’s will or exertion, but upon God’s mercy."

God raised up Pharaoh for the purpose of showing His power and so that His name may be proclaimed in all the earth.

Romans Chapter 9 also indicates that we really have no right to question why God fashions us the way He does. He is the potter. We are the clay. Sadly, some of us are created for "menial use."

God chose to proclaim His power and glory through the contrast with evil. So, how can we say God did not create evil? As I said in a previous post, if God did not create evil, that would mean there is another creator at work, would it not?

Romans Chapter 9 Revised Standard Version (RSV)
14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God’s part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

16 So it depends not upon man’s will or exertion, but upon God’s mercy. 17 For the scripture says to Pharaoh, “I have raised you up for the very purpose of showing my power in you, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 So then he has mercy upon whomever he wills, and he hardens the heart of whomever he wills.

God’s Wrath and Mercy
19 You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” 20 But who are you, a man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me thus?”

21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for beauty and another for menial use?

22 What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience the vessels of wrath made for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for the vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory,

Edited to note: This is not from the Orthodox view either.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This really does come down to God creating us for His pleasure and Glory.

I think Romans Chapter 9 reveals the answer to the OP's question:

God "has mercy upon whomever he wills, and he hardens the heart of whomever he wills," and that "depends not upon man’s will or exertion, but upon God’s mercy."

God raised up Pharaoh for the purpose of showing His power and so that His name may be proclaimed in all the earth.

Romans Chapter 9 also indicates that we really have no right to question why God fashions us the way He does. He is the potter. We are the clay. Sadly, some of us are created for "menial use."

God chose to proclaim His power and glory through the contrast with evil. So, how can we say God did not create evil? As I said in a previous post, if God did not create evil, that would mean there is another creator at work, would it not?

14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God’s part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

16 So it depends not upon man’s will or exertion, but upon God’s mercy. 17 For the scripture says to Pharaoh, “I have raised you up for the very purpose of showing my power in you, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 So then he has mercy upon whomever he wills, and he hardens the heart of whomever he wills.

God’s Wrath and Mercy
19 You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” 20 But who are you, a man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me thus?”

21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for beauty and another for menial use?

22 What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience the vessels of wrath made for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for the vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory,

evil is not a "thing." evil is the misuse of the good that God creates, and God only creates that which is good.

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
evil is not a "thing." evil is the misuse of the good that God creates, and God only creates that which is good.

Evil is a thing that you just defined. If God only creates that which is good, how could He then create man with the potential for evil?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
For example, why couldn't the Most High God find another way to exhibit His wrath without the need for hell?

And this was another reason for my comment about a kind of Protestant bias. I don't mean that as an insult at all. I just mean that some things I think are being understood in the way they are being understood because of prior Protestant teachings.

Hell isnt something that exists for the purpose of God displaying wrath to mankind.

Please forgive me, I'm so limited in bits of time.

Toolbelt & Anastasia,
I know that you are trying to help, but telling me I have a "Protestant bias" or indicating that I am not seeing what is "veiled" doesn't directly address anything in my post.

What part of what I have said is not true?

Are we not created for God's pleasure and glory?
Maybe the answer is simply that God created man for His pleasure and His glory. For a reason known only to God, He chose to create people who will suffer eternally.

Is God not able to make the rules and create as He chooses?
As I said before, God is God. He makes the rules. If nothing is higher than God, if nothing imposes limitations on God, if nothing dictates to God; then we are left with the reality that God chose to make us as He did. He chose to create man knowing many will suffer eternally. God could have created us differently, but He didn't. That's the cold hard reality.

Can you deny that all this suffering exists?
It's all really depressing, when I think about it very much. We are born through suffering. Life is full of suffering. Salvation was accomplished through suffering, and eternity is full of suffering for many, of which I may be one. Even if that is not the case, those I love may suffer eternally. How could that bring any happiness to my eternal state? All of this comes from God who is Love. It makes no sense to me, but I am a mere mortal, suffering through this life.

My apologies.

I think we might as well ask - why didn't God immediately fix everything as soon as Adam messed it up? (And you did ask that, I know.)

The only reason God allows suffering - is that something better FOR US comes out of it as a result. NOT for the purpose of somehow propping up His own glory, as some interpret. God's glory hardly needs propping up, and certainly not through using such beings as us.

We are created ... out of love. Please understand that the kind of love we speak of is inherently to desire the best for the one who is loved. I'm sure God takes pleasure in mankind but I think it reduces His love if we aren't careful when we say we were created for His pleasure and glory. One could understand that to mean we are simple toys of His, or something to manipulate for the sake of His own glory. And that is contrary to the nature of God.

I know it was said the nature or character of God isn't the issue, but I think it is. That was a key turning point for me. Orthodoxy views God as purely good, loving mankind. There are many different doctrines within Protestantism, but so many of them warp this character, when they start considering how we exist only for the sake of His glory, or that He must display wrath upon us, etc. That's what I mean by a Protestant bias. It's very hard to understand unless you've been on BOTH sides of the fence, I think. So I might not be able to explain. I'm trying though. It took a deep revelation of God purely AS agape-love to make me begin to understand. (And I really don't mean any insult by this ... I think Protestants don't - really can't - see the implications of some of their ideas because they've always thought them to be the way things are. I know I couldn't.)

God does make all the rules, yes. He orchestrates history. And there is suffering. So clearly God allows it. I doubt it is His best will for creation (to have fallen I mean). But given that it DID fall, I am very confident that He is at work in everything for the best good of human persons, whom He loves intensely.

Maybe this will help a little. Do you know that when something seemingly bad comes to us - a disease, or hardship, a loss, being treated unfairly, whatever the case may be ... we are taught that everything that comes to us is at least allowed by God, and that it is for the sake of our ultimate salvation. We ought not to complain and murmur against God at times like that, but patiently bear what we cannot escape, trusting God that He will save us through it, and thanking Him in it even.

The suffering of human history can be thought of in the same terms.

I don't think God inspired Joseph's brothers to plot to kill him and then to sell him into slavery. But due to their passions and being tempted by the enemy, they did those things. And though it caused Joseph to suffer, God allowed it --- knowing that in the end He would use it to save the lives of all his family and multitudes of other people from starving to death.

The ultimate good was the truly loving thing, rather than preventing Joseph's suffering as a slave and in jail. We just don't see that.

And the ultimate good is salvation and being united to God.

As someone else said, if every evil person was never born, how many of their descendants who would be saved, or those who might be saved through their work, might not exist or be saved?

We just don't know the full story.

But I KNOW God is loving and merciful. And I have hope for every person I know or consider. We can and should pray for all of them to be saved.

Those who might ultimately and irrevocably choose to hate God and find His continued love of them repugnant - well we can hope they are as few as possible. I can't really understand such a mind though.

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And this was another reason for my comment about a kind of Protestant bias. I don't mean that as an insult at all. I just mean that some things I think are being understood in the way they are being understood because of prior Protestant teachings.

Hell isnt something that exists for the purpose of God displaying wrath to mankind.

Please forgive me, I'm so limited in bits of time.

My apologies.

I think we might as well ask - why didn't God immediately fix everything as soon as Adam messed it up? (And you did ask that, I know.)

The only reason God allows suffering - is that something better FOR US comes out of it as a result. NOT for the purpose of somehow propping up His own glory, as some interpret. God's glory hardly needs propping up, and certainly not through using such beings as us.

We are created ... out of love. Please understand that the kind of love we speak of is inherently to desire the best for the one who is loved. I'm sure God takes pleasure in mankind but I think it reduces His love if we aren't careful when we say we were created for His pleasure and glory. One could understand that to mean we are simple toys of His, or something to manipulate for the sake of His own glory. And that is contrary to the nature of God.

I know it was said the nature or character of God isn't the issue, but I think it is. That was a key turning point for me. Orthodoxy views God as purely good, loving mankind. There are many different doctrines within Protestantism, but so many of them warp this character, when they start considering how we exist only for the sake of His glory, or that He must display wrath upon us, etc. That's what I mean by a Protestant bias. It's very hard to understand unless you've been on BOTH sides of the fence, I think. So I might not be able to explain. I'm trying though. It took a deep revelation of God purely AS agape-love to make me begin to understand. (And I really don't mean any insult by this ... I think Protestants don't - really can't - see the implications of some of their ideas because they've always thought them to be the way things are. I know I couldn't.)

God does make all the rules, yes. He orchestrates history. And there is suffering. So clearly God allows it. I doubt it is His best will for creation (to have fallen I mean). But given that it DID fall, I am very confident that He is at work in everything for the best good of human persons, whom He loves intensely.

Maybe this will help a little. Do you know that when something seemingly bad comes to us - a disease, or hardship, a loss, being treated unfairly, whatever the case may be ... we are taught that everything that comes to us is at least allowed by God, and that it is for the sake of our ultimate salvation. We ought not to complain and murmur against God at times like that, but patiently bear what we cannot escape, trusting God that He will save us through it, and thanking Him in it even.

The suffering of human history can be thought of in the same terms.

I don't think God inspired Joseph's brothers to plot to kill him and then to sell him into slavery. But due to their passions and being tempted by the enemy, they did those things. And though it caused Joseph to suffer, God allowed it --- knowing that in the end He would use it to save the lives of all his family and multitudes of other people from starving to death.

The ultimate good was the truly loving thing, rather than preventing Joseph's suffering as a slave and in jail. We just don't see that.

And the ultimate good is salvation and being united to God.

As someone else said, if every evil person was never born, how many of their descendants who would be saved, or those who might be saved through their work, might not exist or be saved?

We just don't know the full story.

But I KNOW God is loving and merciful. And I have hope for every person I know or consider. We can and should pray for all of them to be saved.

Those who might ultimately and irrevocably choose to hate God and find His continued love of them repugnant - well we can hope they are as few as possible. I can't really understand such a mind though.

Thank you, Anastasia

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Evil is a thing that you just defined. If God only creates that which is good, how could He then create man with the potential for evil?

because, being in God's Image, has freedom. love is only love when it is free, which means there must be the possibility to reject that love.

Upvote 0

Selene03

Feb 9, 2019
Hagatna
✟15,025.00
Country
Guam
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
That's a question I have heard from atheists quite often, and I would be interested in an Orthodox response to that question.
Hi David,

First of all, Hell was prepared for the fallen angels rather than for man (Matthew 25:41). However, those who don't repent of their mortal sins will be in Hell.

Secondly, the Church doesn't define Hell as a place of torture. The Catholic Church defines Hell as a "state of being." It's a separation from God. According to St. Pope John Paul II:

The images of hell that Sacred Scripture presents to us must be correctly interpreted. They show the complete frustration and emptiness of life without God. Rather than a place, hell indicates the state of those who freely and definitively separate themselves from God, the source of all life and joy. This is how the Catechism of the Catholic Church summarizes the truths of faith on this subject: “To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God’s merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called ‘hell’” (n. 1033).

In the third place, only those with unrepentant mortal sins are in Hell. We don't know who is in Hell or how many people are in Hell. We only know that the Church teaches that those who refuse to repent of their mortal sins are in Hell. In order for one to have mortal sin, three conditions must be met. "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent." (CCC 1857). If even one of these conditions are not met, the sin is not mortal.

In the fourth place, God created man out of love including those He knew who would turn against Him. All people were created out of God's love. Nevertheless, those who turned against God served to help other people without realizing it. Judas Iscariot, for example, betrayed Jesus. This betrayal had Jesus arrested and crucified, which in turn brought redemption to all mankind. Without knowing it, Judas Iscariot helped bring about the redemption of mankind. As our Catechism pointed out: In time we can discover that God in his almighty providence can bring a good from the consequences of an evil, even a moral evil, caused by his creatures: "It was not you", said Joseph to his brothers, "who sent me here, but God. . . You meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive."178 From the greatest moral evil ever committed - the rejection and murder of God's only Son, caused by the sins of all men - God, by his grace that "abounded all the more",179 brought the greatest of goods: the glorification of Christ and our redemption. But for all that, evil never becomes a good. (CCC 312)

Now the question arises....Is Judas Iscariot in Hell? The Church remains silent on this issue. There are scriptures implying that he's in Hell, but there is also scripture saying otherwise (Acts 1:25). Scripture says that Judas Iscariot went to his own place. Where that is we don't know. We don't know the state of mind Judas was in when he killed himself. We also know that the Roman soldiers who crucified Christ did not commit a mortal sin simply because they didn't know they were crucifying the Son of God. They didn't meet the three conditions of mortal sin.

Perhaps, the question should be re-phrased as why did God create Lucifer knowing that He would be the devil and in Hell. We know for certain that the devil is in Hell. God created Lucifer but God also gave him free will. By Lucifer's free will, he chose to be the embodiment of evil. Yet, some will ask why God then decided to create Lucifer knowing beforehand that he would choose evil.

If God prevented the devil from being created merely because later, after being created, Lucifer would freely choose to go bad, then it’s the same as not having a free will after all. If only those who choose good are allowed to exist, what freedom is that?

Were the evil people and angels not allowed to exist before they even made their choice, it would not be just. It would be condemning a person before they commit the crime. Punishment must come after the fact, not in anticipation of it. That would be like a parent disciplining a two-year-old child for bad behavior she will commit as a teenager.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
no problem, your thoughts?

I love the beauty of your faith and the Orthodox testimony to the love of God.

I do wish I could get a direct response to Romans 9:14-23 in my post #141.

Also, is Scripture considered a lesser source in Orthodoxy?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
no, Scripture is not a lesser source. but being a written text, it has a context. it is the central aspect of the tradition, and cannot be read apart from the tradition for what it was written.

what are you looking for to answer post 141?

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
no, Scripture is not a lesser source. but being a written text, it has a context. it is the central aspect of the tradition, and cannot be read apart from the tradition for what it was written. . . . .

I understand that Tradition is part of the Christian faith, as passed down through the Church fathers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
. . . . .what are you looking for to answer post 141?

How do you interpret Romans Chapter 9 in relation to the OP's question: Why God created some when he knew they would experience hell?

God creates one as a vessel for beauty and another for menial use. So, does that mean some were created for Hell?

God has mercy upon whomever he wills and hardens the heart of whomever he wills.

After hearing that some are not created to be a "vessel for beauty," we are not to ask, "Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?." We are the "molded" and are not to say, “Why have you made me thus?"

Romans Chapter 9 seems to indicate that there is less "free will" involved in our fate, than what you are claiming.

It would be helpful if you would take this passage verse by verse and give the Orthodox interpretation.

Romans 9:
15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So it depends not upon man’s will or exertion, but upon God’s mercy.

God hardens the heart of whomever he wills.

18 So then he has mercy upon whomever he wills, and he hardens the heart of whomever he wills.

God’s Wrath and Mercy

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How do you interpret Romans Chapter 9 in relation to the OP's question: Why God created some when he knew they would experience hell?

God creates one as a vessel for beauty and another for menial use. So, does that mean some were created for Hell?

God has mercy upon whomever he wills and hardens the heart of whomever he wills.

After hearing that some are not created to be a "vessel for beauty," we are not to ask, "Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?." We are the "molded" and are not to say, “Why have you made me thus?"

Romans Chapter 9 seems to indicate that there is less "free will" involved in our fate, than what you are claiming.

It would be helpful if you would take this passage verse by verse and give the Orthodox interpretation.

Romans 9:
15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So it depends not upon man’s will or exertion, but upon God’s mercy.

God hardens the heart of whomever he wills.

18 So then he has mercy upon whomever he wills, and he hardens the heart of whomever he wills.

God’s Wrath and Mercy

God, being love, hardens those who want to be hardened. St Gregory of Nyssa says that God hardened Pharoah because that's how Pharoah willingly chose to respond to God.

Upvote 0