Why God created some when he knew they would experience hell?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Are you talking about the post below? Could you provide a link for that? If you already did, I'm sorry. Just point to the post number.

no, sorry, I said I don't have links, but did give some books.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
those in hell. it's what makes hell, hell.

Right. But, this doesn't address why He allegedly did what He did (make these vessels of destruction), especially if He loves them. So far, we are discussing the sentiment for the consequences instead of the reason for the case altogether.

For example, why couldn't the Most High God find another way to exhibit His wrath without the need for hell?

I don't want to debate anything, I just wanted to know if it was possible to explain.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Right. But, this doesn't address why He allegedly did what He did (make these vessels of destruction), especially if He loves them. So far, we are discussing the sentiment for the consequences instead of the reason for the case altogether.

For example, why couldn't the Most High God find another way to exhibit His wrath without the need for hell?

I don't want to debate anything, I just wanted to know if it was possible to explain.

wrath IS love in the face of the unrepentant.

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
oh please don't, I just gave book references off the top of my head.

It just doesn't seem like we are getting anywhere with an answer regarding why God created people knowing they were destined for torment.

Maybe the answer is simply that God created man for His pleasure and His glory. For a reason known only to God, He chose to create people who will suffer eternally.

As I said before, God is God. He makes the rules. If nothing is higher than God, if nothing imposes limitations on God, if nothing dictates to God; then we are left with the reality that God chose to make us as He did. He chose to create man knowing many will suffer eternally. God could have created us differently, but He didn't. That's the cold hard reality.

And it seems that it is a sin to even question God's reasons. We are, after all, the clay, the created.

Isaiah 29:15-17 Revised Standard Version (RSV)
15 Woe to those who hide deep from the Lord their counsel,
whose deeds are in the dark,
and who say, “Who sees us? Who knows us?”
16 You turn things upside down!
Shall the potter be regarded as the clay;
that the thing made should say of its maker,
“He did not make me”;
or the thing formed say of him who formed it,
“He has no understanding”?

It's all really depressing, when I think about it very much. We are born through suffering. Life is full of suffering. Salvation was accomplished through suffering, and eternity is full of suffering for many, of which I may be one. Even if that is not the case, those I love may suffer eternally. How could that bring any happiness to my eternal state? All of this comes from God who is Love. It makes no sense to me, but I am a mere mortal, suffering through this life.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It just doesn't seem like we are getting anywhere with an answer regarding why God created people knowing they were destined for torment.

Maybe the answer is simply that God created man for His pleasure and His glory. For a reason known only to God, He chose to create people who will suffer eternally.

As I said before, God is God. He makes the rules. If nothing is higher than God, if nothing imposes limitations on God, if nothing dictates to God; then we are left with the reality that God chose to make us as He did. He chose to create man knowing many will suffer eternally. God could have created us differently, but He didn't. That's the cold hard reality.

And it seems that it is a sin to even question God's reasons. We are, after all, the clay, the created.

I hope you'll keep asking. What I can say is that you seem to be confirming a certain Protestant bias, and haven't yet gotten at what Orthodoxy teaches. I understand it may be frustrating.

Upvote 0

Toolbelt

Apr 23, 2018
northeast
✟32,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

“He did not make me”;

It's all really depressing, when I think about it very much. We are born through suffering. Life is full of suffering. Salvation was accomplished through suffering, and eternity is full of suffering for many, of which I may be one. Even if that is not the case, those I love may suffer eternally. How could that bring any happiness to my eternal state? All of this comes from God who is Love. It makes no sense to me, but I am a mere mortal, suffering through this life.
This isn't the whole story. Our perception of god is transformed when we see things that are veiled. don't despair because your analysis of the situation isn't clear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

“He did not make me”;

because you yourself will be so filled with the love of God and neighbor, that is all you will be focused on. this is the subplot of basically every Hallmark movie. two young people are so in love with each other, that they don't notice time, other people, etc.

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This isn't the whole story. Our perception of god is transformed when we see things that are veiled. don't despair because your analysis of the situation isn't clear.

I hope you'll keep asking. What I can say is that you seem to be confirming a certain Protestant bias, and haven't yet gotten at what Orthodoxy teaches. I understand it may be frustrating.

Toolbelt & Anastasia,
I know that you are trying to help, but telling me I have a "Protestant bias" or indicating that I am not seeing what is "veiled" doesn't directly address anything in my post.

What part of what I have said is not true?

Are we not created for God's pleasure and glory?

Is God not able to make the rules and create as He chooses?

Can you deny that all this suffering exists?

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
because you yourself will be so filled with the love of God and neighbor, that is all you will be focused on. this is the subplot of basically every Hallmark movie. two young people are so in love with each other, that they don't notice time, other people, etc.

Wouldn't those suffering eternally be my neighbors too? Isn't it rather tragic that I could become so consumed by my own joy that I am unable to see the suffering of others. That would be tragic in this life and it happens often. Wouldn't it be tragic in the life to come as well?

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That's a question I have heard from atheists quite often, and I would be interested in an Orthodox response to that question.
Unfortunately, i am very pessimistic about this subject because in the eyes of man, God seems unkind to make a final destination of torment. A kind God would pick a completely different enternal code that would not include such torments. Yet again, i am looking though man's eyes and perspectives.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wouldn't those suffering eternally be my neighbors too? Isn't it rather tragic that I could become so consumed by my own joy that I am unable to see the suffering of others. That would be tragic in this life and it happens often. Wouldn't it be tragic in the life to come as well?

no, because you will glorify God in all things, even in His giving the freedom to people who want nothing to do with His love.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately, i am very pessimistic about this subject because in the eyes of man, God seems unkind to make a final destination of torment. A kind God would pick a completely different enternal code that would not include such torments. Yet again, i am looking though man's eyes and perspectives.
Well, if you read the posts, you will see hell in Orthodoxy is really different from a Protestant understanding.

Upvote 0