Why don't you like certain genres?

Electra

Mar 2, 2005
✟15,915.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There are just certain types and / or music which I cannot listen to. I like alternative, but I also like Goa. Im big on psychedelia and metal of any kind. I like Funky House and progressive house.

At the same time I love (underground) hip-hop.

There are certain types of music which I don't enjoy listening to, such as Indie. Im not saying the music is bad, just because I do not like it, I just do not enjoy most of it.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
sblood45 said:
I was wondering why people don't like certain genres.

Seriously, I'm in love with all music unless is it against Jesus or God, and is about lots of sex or drugs.

simply put, i don't like it.

modern hip-hop is garbage to me because musically if i wanted to listen to techno, i'd listen to better stuff, at least that wasn't all about dancing, booze, sex, or sad stories of the ghetto.

country i like the older country, but the knew stuff, well i just don't want to be sad all the time. same goes with emo. and if i wanted to listen pop, i'd listen to pop, not pop music hiding underneath the label of country.

indie, well i don't get this style. a style of music that is independant...and now a unified style, a bit redundant/hypocritical. and some of the bands, are just annoying in their attempt at making "artistic music."

CCM-meh don't even get me started. the bands that are big now, i think many of them put out great first 2 albums, after that, forget it.

other than that, i'm pretty bendable with music. LOL

Upvote 0

Alice the Sister

optimize
Jun 30, 2003
seattle, washington
✟19,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Most genres start out innocent enough, but then they get tainted with mainstream acceptence and become something completely different. Just look at Country Music, Techno, Rap, Emo, Punk, and Visual Kei.

Upvote 0

Chrysalis

Filled with gratitude for my King, Jesus
Aug 21, 2004
England
✟15,691.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I don't enjoy Rap (don't like the language or imagery), R&B is too syrupy. Country & Western, it's the twanginess of it and I can't abide the pedal steel guitar in 99% of cases though Robert Randolph is awesome! I also don't enjoy Indie music.

Reactions: The Theory
Upvote 0

TheDandyMan

Incomplete without surface noise.
May 30, 2004
The Town, West Coast, USA
Visit site
✟9,018.00
Faith
Christian
blackwasp said:
The Theory doesn't refuse to listen to certain types of music because of a genre. He just likes to have fun with his posts. :)

Having fun with your posts is a trend.

- - -

I think a lot of genres with a lot of sugary goodness to them are maligned to astounding lengths in the mainstream. For instance, rap. Take a quick look, and there's a bunch of hoodlums cussing and pretty much "bein' real wit cha." I've only looked around briefly for rappers underground, but I really like the little that I've heard from Busdriver, who is JUST SO GOSH DARN FAST. I just found out about the Kenyan duo Sinpare, and it's really something else.

You'd have to be incredibly biased to not acknowledge Miles Davis as one of the most influential musicians of the last century, as he changed the world of jazz numerous times. What did his very last record (doo-bop) include? Yes: rap.

Upvote 0
S

Silver Speak

Chrysalis said:
I don't enjoy Rap (don't like the language or imagery), R&B is too syrupy.

I agree to some extent.. Most rap, although I enjoy some of it, only has nasty lyrics with nothing interesting to say. The funny thing is, I used to hate rap and r&b until I spent a year in Philly area where there are at least five radio stations that only play that stuff, so, I kinda 'grew' into it. :)

I like Kanye West. Some of his stuff is quite interesting and he's obviously talented. It's refreshing that a rap artist has things to say other than 'I'll take you to the candy shop', for a change.... I'm not saying all his lyrics are so great but at least they're thought-provoking. Listening to r&b has become a habit for me for the reasons mentioned above... I just listen to it for fun and nostalgy!! :D

As for the topic, hmm, I listen to a variety of genres but pop punk is something I don't really enjoy and euro pop/ techno is absolutely horrible. Finnish music stations are crap, for the most.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
sblood45 said:

1. Rap - While its roots in African tribal music is authentic, its demeanor is something to be loathed. There are few positive artists, Will Smith being among the most famous, and even he left rap for a while because of its derogatory and vile demeanor.

2. Modern R&B - It isn't anything like real rhymn and blues at all...another mutilation of a classic music. Its demeanor is nearly as bad as rap.

3. Country - Dipthongs depict lack of talent, not talentedness.

4. Most Modern Music (regardless of genre, with key exceptions) - Looks/dance moves > music talent is truly loathsome (ie: Usher...he's a joke). Or music talent without any good singing talent (most modern rock or pop bands). It is completely pathetic to me. If you're going to have a band or if you want to be a single artist, for the sake of all things holy; learn how to sing, will you?!

If you want real talent, stick with those artists who've actually been around for a while, preferably at least since the 70's or the early 80's, although a number of good bands and artists appeared in the 90's too.

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Personally I listen to a lot of Country Rock, Classic Rock, and Metal. Especially symphonic and 'epic' metal. You can sample it by clicking my favorite song on my title thingy.

I don't like rap because, well, rap is the root word of crap. A black guy screaming to drum. There ya go.

Old R&B like Diana Ross and the Supremes, the Topps, etc. Those are good. modern R&B = not so good.

Upvote 0

Kaonashi

If God is thy father, man is thy brother.
Jun 8, 2004
Denver
✟13,333.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The only Genre that I can't stand much is the CCM type of pop/rock that tends to have an attitude of "I Love Jesus so I'm gonna make Money off of him even though I sound just like every one else whose doing the same thing!" Other then that, I can get into just about any genre

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
sblood45 said:

Seriously, I'm in love with all music unless is it against Jesus or God, and is about lots of sex or drugs.

I like most genres of music with exception of jazz (and I used to include polka up in here, but I'm a 'sconsinite and lemme tell ya, it's pretty much law that you have to like at least some polka, lest you get yer butt kicked) :p

I've learned about jazz though and have a definite appreciation for the artists, the structure and what it takes to make that kind of music...but when I listen, I find myself drifting.

I don't really listen to whateveryou'dcallTypeONegative-type stuff. Though some "hardcore" stuff is okay for me, I don't listen to that kind of music as much as I did in high school. I don't really find "anti-Christian" music to be offensive...rather, quite comical, sometimes. Meh. :wave:

Upvote 0