Visit site
✟8,032.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's not exactly genre, but content. For instance, I dislike music that is angry in nature, whiny, or that focuses on partying and sex when it comes to lyrics. And I dislike most country because I'm not fond of the twang.

So out of those, you could say that I don't like metal, country, emo or most rap, R&B and Hip Hop. But, there are always exceptions... like Gorrilaz is amazing, and there's Rap in that, and I usually hate rap.

I kind of stick mainly to the British/Alternative Rock only, because I always seem to enjoy it.

Ugh, I hate it when people refuse to listen to music because it is or was popular once. Some people are so desperate to be different that they become completely ignorant. I listen to what sounds good to me, whether it's popular or unheard of by 90% of the world.

Upvote 0

SilverEagle

Assistant To The Regional Manager
Jul 1, 2005
Western Maryland
Visit site
✟16,275.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Because it's either...

A: Painful to listen to, and hurts my ears
B: All of it sounds exactly the same (*cough*Pop-punk*cough*)
C: It's offensive

There's nothing wrong with genres themselves, but if enough of the music is like the above, I can say, with all confidence, that I dislike the genre.

Upvote 0

SilverEagle

Jul 1, 2005
Western Maryland
Visit site
✟16,275.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Theory said:
whoa whoa whoa! "lame" is exceptionally trendy! proceed with caution...

That was a fairly low (read: weak) comeback, I daresay. :) Your arguments make sense to me. See, since you hate all things trendy, and you also think all music styles are trendy, you must hate all music, and that bothers me. God made music for us to enjoy. Plus, you uttered these gems:

rock- sounds like a trend

Been around for 50 years now and still going on...it's not a trend.

jazz- sounds like a trend

Been around for 70 years now...not a trend..

classical- sounds like a trend

Been around for hundreds of years...don't make me laugh.

Upvote 0

Purified

The Photographer
Oct 7, 2004
Minnesota, USA
Visit site
✟8,032.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Theory said:
ska- sounds like a trend
emo- sounds like a trend
death metal- sounds like a trend
nu metal- sounds like a trend
hiphop- sounds like a trend
reggae- sounds like a trend
country- sounds like a trend
goth- sounds like a trend
indie- sounds like a trend
avant garde- sounds like a trend
pop- sounds like a trend
urban- sounds like a trend
electronica- sounds like a trend
hardcore- sounds like a trend
world- sounds like a trend
CCM- sounds like a trend
blues- sounds like a trend
techno- sounds like a trend
folk- sounds like a trend
black metal- sounds like a trend
grunge- sounds like a trend
jam*- sounds like a trend
stoner rock- sounds like a trend
instrumental- sounds like a trend
post hardcore- sounds like a trend
noise- sounds like a trend
industrial- sounds like a trend

*this includes jelly and currents.

that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there is loads I'm forgetting.

Probably the most ignorant statement I've ever come across. So, what isn't a trend to you? Silence?

Upvote 0

SilverEagle

Jul 1, 2005
Western Maryland
Visit site
✟16,275.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Theory said:
ska- sounds like a trend
emo- sounds like a trend
grunge- sounds like a trend (it was a trend...it's over now)
stoner rock- sounds like a trend (it was a trend...it's over now)

Edited for brain cells everywhere...notice that 2/3 of the list is now missing. I'll tell you what he was forgetting- loigic. He must have left his at the dry cleaners momentarily. :yawn:

Upvote 0

JadeTaylor

Sep 19, 2005
Snohomish
✟774.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Theory said:
ska- sounds like a trend
emo- sounds like a trend
hiphop- sounds like a trend
reggae- sounds like a trend
country- sounds like a trend
indie- sounds like a trend
avant garde- sounds like a trend
pop- sounds like a trend
urban- sounds like a trend
electronica- sounds like a trend
world- sounds like a trend
CCM- sounds like a trend
blues- sounds like a trend
techno- sounds like a trend
folk- sounds like a trend
grunge- sounds like a trend
jam*- sounds like a trend
stoner rock- sounds like a trend
instrumental- sounds like a trend
industrial- sounds like a trend

*this includes jelly and currents.

that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there is loads I'm forgetting.
how can it all "sound like a trend"? I mean music styles change over a period of time. Alternative rock, which is what i listen to 24/7 has changed dramatically. take a band like nirvana which is considered alternative rock, and compare them to a new band like the Artic monkeys, it isnt a trend it changes over a period of time.

Upvote 0

JadeTaylor

Sep 19, 2005
Snohomish
✟774.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Purified said:
Probably the most ignorant statement I've ever come across. So, what isn't a trend to you? Silence?
I agree with you there. I look at it this way...if it were a trend then wouldnt other types of music try to follow them? and clearly I see no similarity with Grunge and Jazz.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Purified

The Photographer
Oct 7, 2004
Minnesota, USA
Visit site
✟8,032.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
blackwasp said:
For the record, I agree with The Theory. Kinda.

I'm really intrigued by this. Would you explain how everything sounds like a trend, hence (in The Theory's point of view) making every genre bad? I mean, who defines what is and isn't a trend, anyway?

I honestly want to understand... because you do listen to music... and if one is against musical trends, and all music is trendy... doesn't that make you a hypocrite?

Upvote 0

The Theory

Bagpipes well could he blow.
May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
SilverEagle said:
Been around for 70 years now...not a trend..
longer than that, really... Django Reinhardt, one of the greatest jazz guitar players ever (in my humble opinion), started in the 1930s (or a bit before, perhaps) and I'm sure he didn't create the genre.

Been around for hundreds of years...don't make me laugh.
Though it should be noted that the classical composers weren't making classical music at the time. Back then that was really their equivalent of mainstream pop culture. As it was being composed they wouldn't have called it "classical" music... or if they did, the would have had a higher opinion of themselves than they should have. ;-)

Upvote 0

blackwasp

Skinless
Nov 18, 2003
Midwest
Visit site
✟4,736.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Purified said:
I'm really intrigued by this. Would you explain how everything sounds like a trend, hence (in The Theory's point of view) making every genre bad? I mean, who defines what is and isn't a trend, anyway?

I honestly want to understand... because you do listen to music... and if one is against musical trends, and all music is trendy... doesn't that make you a hypocrite?

I don't really listen to certain genres of music. I listen to artists or songs that I find inspiring. If something is easily pegged into a genre, I normally find it uninspiring, regardless of the genre.

This is why I somewhat agree.

Upvote 0

SilverEagle

Jul 1, 2005
Western Maryland
Visit site
✟16,275.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
blackwasp said:
I don't really listen to certain genres of music. I listen to artists or songs that I find inspiring. If something is easily pegged into a genre, I normally find it uninspiring, regardless of the genre.

The name of a genre may change and blur into others as time goes on...thus making its current name a trend.

This might be what he meant.

But not all music is a trend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Purified

The Photographer
Oct 7, 2004
Minnesota, USA
Visit site
✟8,032.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
blackwasp said:

Oh... so? That's all you guys had to say. haha.

The way I see it, anyone who refuses to listen to music solely because of its genre or popularity (or inexistant popularity) is a pretentious snob. :p

I've always given something at least one listen before deciding it wasn't for me... for reasons better than 'country sucks' or 'emos are closet gays' (yes i've heard that many times).

Upvote 0

HisJavajunkie

Aug 8, 2003
Idaho, USA
Visit site
✟21,988.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
blackwasp said:
blackwasp said:

I am pretty much on this same page. My only diifference than this outlook on music is the fact that before I even hear the artist-solo or group in my two genres of dislike , I don't even spend the time to listen to them. For those are the only two genres that I don't accept.

Other than that, I agree with blackwasp. It is the sound and meaning of the music. Not just the fluff.

Upvote 0

simwells

For The Sake Of Your Health DO NOT COPY
Jun 12, 2005
Chester
✟22,504.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
JadeTaylor said:
how can it all "sound like a trend"? I mean music styles change over a period of time. Alternative rock, which is what i listen to 24/7 has changed dramatically. take a band like nirvana which is considered alternative rock, and compare them to a new band like the Artic monkeys, it isnt a trend it changes over a period of time.

Don't want to sound argumentative here, but nirvana are grunge not alternative rock, Arctic Monkeys are indie and the reason there are soo many changes within genres like alternative rock is due to it just being a name used to house all the random bands people can't fit properly into another box

Upvote 0

blackwasp

Skinless
Nov 18, 2003
Midwest
Visit site
✟4,736.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Purified said:
Oh... so? That's all you guys had to say. haha.

The way I see it, anyone who refuses to listen to music solely because of its genre or popularity (or inexistant popularity) is a pretentious snob. :p

I've always given something at least one listen before deciding it wasn't for me... for reasons better than 'country sucks' or 'emos are closet gays' (yes i've heard that many times).

The Theory doesn't refuse to listen to certain types of music because of a genre. He just likes to have fun with his posts. :)

Upvote 0

The Theory

Bagpipes well could he blow.
May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
blackwasp said:
The Theory doesn't refuse to listen to certain types of music because of a genre. He just likes to have fun with his posts. :)
'Wasp owns my soul. He knows the dealeo.

(and I will be the first to admit that what he said is a thinly veiled way of calling me an @$$)

Upvote 0