Why don't men wear engagement rings?

Singermom

Jul 20, 2010
✟9,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I already purchased him a tungsten Irish ring that he wears on his right hand and it was $50 and he loves it. It's a shame that we can't just use that as his wedding ring because of how perfect it is! (And maybe that's what it will come down to)

Hey, why not? If it's perfect, go with it!

To be honest, my WH & I have been through 5 different wedding bands:

- Our first bands were what we could find and afford with only 3 days' notice: blue and red turquoise bands.

- Those turned out to be cheap, so we got plain sterling silver bands...

- ...which tarnished and were very high-maintenance, so we picked up solid hematite bands...

- ...which turned out to be incredibly fragile! So, we special ordered what we thought were good quality bands, silver with leaves embossed on them. They were beautiful...

- ...but even cheaper made than our original turquoise bands! So, we just bought a bunch of the hematite bands, and for our 10th anniversary picked up 2 plain white gold bands...

...which is what we wear today.

When my mother dies, I'll be getting her wedding and engagement rings, which, although they are very diamond-y - and I don't really like diamonds - because they are hers, I'll wear them (if they fit). My mother wanted to present them to me for our 25th anniversary, my dad gave a very firm NO. THOSE are the rings he gave her 60 years ago, they are hers until she's gone.

(I DO also wear another band: a friend of my mother's who was like another grandmother to me died and had no grandchildren, so I got it. It's literally about 1/4 smaller width than my tiny band so you don't even notice that it's separate.)

Upvote 0

Jan 27, 2009
Somewhere out there
✟8,559.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
You know what...my now fiance asked the same thing when I proposed. Granted, the custom of engagement rings isn't traditional in Korea, so she was generally clueless to the whole thing. Honestly, it does make sense as to why a man should wear one, and I'm honestly considering buying a less expensive ring for myself to wear alongside hers.

As a funny aside, after I proposed, she was trying to coerce me into wearing her ring. The scary part? Unbeknownst to me at the time I bought her ring, my ring finger is the exact same size, which made her try to drive the point further home!

I just wound up saying that it doesn't go with my eyes and left it at that.

Upvote 0

SionDS

Honest Humble
Jul 16, 2010
✟7,779.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
You know what...my now fiance asked the same thing when I proposed. Granted, the custom of engagement rings isn't traditional in Korea, so she was generally clueless to the whole thing. Honestly, it does make sense as to why a man should wear one, and I'm honestly considering buying a less expensive ring for myself to wear alongside hers.

As a funny aside, after I proposed, she was trying to coerce me into wearing her ring. The scary part? Unbeknownst to me at the time I bought her ring, my ring finger is the exact same size, which made her try to drive the point further home!

I just wound up saying that it doesn't go with my eyes and left it at that.

Grats on the proposal. Was she born in Korea? Did she want to have a ring? Is her mother married? Does she wear one?

Just curious, I did a report once for school on the different markets for wedding rings around the world.

Upvote 0

Jan 27, 2009
Somewhere out there
✟8,559.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Grats on the proposal. Was she born in Korea? Did she want to have a ring? Is her mother married? Does she wear one?

Just curious, I did a report once for school on the different markets for wedding rings around the world.

Thanks. Yeah, she was born and raised in Korea, but like I said before, she was clueless on the marriage and engagement culture here. Her mom is married, but I didn't think to look for a wedding band on her finger. However, I think it's common there.

The engagement ring thing isn't. I had to explain it to her. She told me months in advance (hint hint?) that she wanted me to propose the American way, which included a ring.

Upvote 0

JadeTigress

Aug 15, 2006
Herrin, IL
✟9,414.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Awhile after we got engaged, my fiance just went out and bought a cheap ring for himself. I didn't know he was going to do it; he just came home from work one day wearing it. He joked about having gotten it so he'd stop getting hit on, but that it wasn't working. And he's been wearing it ever since. Except for a fairly long period of time when he lost it. But he eventually found it, and started wearing it again.

Why he didn't just go buy a new one when it had been gone for so long, I have no clue. That ring cost him all of $10. :p

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Its interesting that in the USA men don't wear engagment rings. Because in the country I live its very common. I think a man would be looked at strange if he wouldn't wear his engagement ring. Same counts for the wedding rings.
In the U.S. many men and women do not wear rings at all regardless of marital status. Many in my family don't wear rings and nor do I.

Upvote 0

Pathan

Mar 11, 2011
✟15,111.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
A wedding set, or bridal set, includes an engagement ring and a wedding band that match as a set. In some cases, the engagement ring looks "incomplete"; it is only when the two halves are assembled that the ring looks whole. In other cases, a wedding set consists of two rings that match stylistically and are worn stacked, although either piece would look appropriate as a separate ring.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PaulOguns

May 3, 2011
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟7,648.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure there are many cultures in the world where the man wears an engagement ring. In fact I dont know any. many married men dont even like wearing their wedding ring so I doubt they would want to wear an engagement ring (personally I wouldnt mind wearing one because I like jewelry), besides getting an engagement ring for the guy would be extra expenses.

And for me the engagement ring symbolizes the fact that someone has asked for your hand in marriage and it is the man that usually does the asking so its not necessary for him to wear one. Interesting question though, maybe we should start a new world culture of men wearing engagement rings, I'd like to see how people embrace the idea

Upvote 0

somebodysangel_88

one day, I'll fly away.
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2008
Indiana.
✟484,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
My sweetheart used to before his ring got destroyed (he punched a wall when he was mad and ruined it, though it only cost us a few dollars). He also had a silver band like my gold band (my promise ring) but it got too small for his fingers. If we had the money right now, he'd be wearing one for me! :D

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think, especally in America theres to much sexism and macho junk. Men think its "girly" to wear jewelery or to watch a romantic movie...etc. I never liked that when men do that. Its why women have such a negative attitude about most men.

Me on the other hand I have no problem watching a romantic movie or wearing jewlery. I have a few necklaces, rings and a watch. When it comes to engagement rings. I wore one the first time I was engaged. We both had simple silver bands that were enscribed.

I think another problem is (a little off topic), women want fancy rings. Women seem to equate bigger/fancier rings with being loved. It borders on being sin. I knew a christian women that left her fiancee because he wanted to get simple rings. She wanted a diamond ring! To me its selfish.

I tell every woman up front I would only by simple rings. As time goes on and we have anniversaries, thats diffrent! Usually its a red flag to me right away if she wants a fancy ring. Means shes materialistic probably.

Upvote 0

eaglemustfly

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
✟15,121.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"After being engaged, you should be exclusive and not date other people. Your single life is over."

Quoted from
successful-christians.com
pear shaped rings

IMO, wearing engagement rings or not does not matter so much.
Most importantly, his heart stays faithful to you.

God bless you all :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums