Why does "15 Questions for Evolutionists" brochure confuse the meaning of "evolution?

verysincere

Exegete/Linguist
Jan 18, 2012
Haiti
✟18,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why does the "15 Questions for Evolutionists" brochure from Creation.com confuse the meaning of "evolution"? Why would a Young Earth Creationist ministry wish to expose their "science knowledge" in this way?

Most of the questions deal with topics which have nothing to do with the Theory of Evolution. Why? Is it scientific ignorance? Or dishonesty? Very shrewd propaganda technique?

15 questions for evolutionists

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So much misinformation, I don't even know where to start. #15 is hilarious, I have been seeing that more and more commonly out there these days. Their new strategy is to claim that Christianity is not a religion, and that evolution is.

Upvote 0

verysincere

Exegete/Linguist
Jan 18, 2012
Haiti
✟18,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
YEC got to be lumped in with the Holocaust deniers and the reptilian conspirators.

I too have been fascinated by the shared dynamics of the various "conspiracy theory movements. Anyone who has watched Youtube videos about the "Apollo Moon Landing hoax", "9/11 was a controlled demolition and inside job", "AIDS was invented in government labs to wipe out undesirable minorities", etc. can't help but notice similarities with various "evolution is a hoax scientists designed in order to eliminate belief in God" diatribes. So I've wondered: Would we do a better job educating the public about The Theory of Evolution and the errors of "creation science" if we recognized the "conspiracy theory" tendencies and emotions which drive anti-science sects?

More specifically, will Young Earth Creationism remain strong in the U.S. until we recognize that the debate is less about evidence and logic (both scientific and scriptural) than it is about emotions (especially FEAR of something important being in danger of loss?)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most of the questions deal with topics which have nothing to do with the Theory of Evolution. Why? Is it scientific ignorance? Or dishonesty? Very shrewd propaganda technique?
Why don't you answer that yourself?

Instead of complaining about 15 questions, why don't you complain about the 150 or so questions that evolutionists ask creationists that have nothing to do with creationism whatsoever?

Like questions about the Fall, the Flood, the Grand Canyon, Satan, SN1987A, varves, dendrochronology, fossils, radiohalos, Carbon dating, radiometric dating, and so on and so forth.

The mirror hurts, doesn't it?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
More specifically, will Young Earth Creationism remain strong in the U.S. until we recognize that the debate is less about evidence and logic (both scientific and scriptural) than it is about emotions (especially FEAR of something important being in danger of loss?)
Oh, please.

All YECs would have to do is sit and say, "Clean up your own closet first, before you hound us," and they would never have to explain anything to you guys at all.

Everyone would die of old age before evolutionists got around to them.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Instead of complaining about 15 questions, why don't you complain about the 150 or so questions that evolutionists ask creationists that have nothing to do with creationism whatsoever?

Like questions about the Fall, the Flood, the Grand Canyon, Satan, SN1987A, varves, dendrochronology, fossils, radiohalos, Carbon dating, radiometric dating, and so on and so forth.

Did you smack your head into a mirror again, AVET? ;)

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Oh, please.

All YECs would have to do is sit and say, "Clean up your own closet first, before you hound us," and they would never have to explain anything to you guys at all.

Everyone would die of old age before evolutionists got around to them.

If they would stay out of politics and classrooms, we would indeed not bother them at all.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic

So creationists have no opinion on the age of the Earth or geologic history? What?

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Why does the "15 Questions for Evolutionists" brochure from Creation.com confuse the meaning of "evolution"? Why would a Young Earth Creationist ministry wish to expose their "science knowledge" in this way?

15 questions for evolutionists

One of the interesting things about this sad excuse for a brochure is that it is full of quote mines, and lacking in any evidence falsifying evolution. Typical propaganda.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

verysincere

Exegete/Linguist
Jan 18, 2012
Haiti
✟18,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My granddaughter thought it would be funny to remove all of the IGNORE settings of my CF account. Oh well. At least it can provide some comic relief.

Because I returned to this forum to gather more data for my study of Young Earth Creationist beliefs. I've retired from teaching but if you wish to learn from my answers, you can read them in other venues. (And not everyone here shares your focus on "answering" your own questions.)

If you don't like the way "creation science" writers and Young Earth Creationists like Gish, Lisle, Wise, Whitcomb, and several generations of Morris' obsess on those topics which you listed, I suggest you complain to them directly! I study YECs. I don't work for them. They don't employ me as their press agents, much less their apologists. But isn't it obvious that such creationists talk about those topics because they think that each advances their agenda?

I suggest that if you ACTUALLY want to know why YECs consider those topics so central to their creationist arguments, you visit a few "creation science" websites or consult some of their books and make use of their topic index.

Still talking to yourself? Tell us more about this "mirror" and why it hurts you so much. (Is it related to the alleged "jealously" which you claim the world has with respect to your quantity of posts and to the "fame" your writings have supposedly brought you?)

A mirror which you might want to consider is described in James 1:23,24. Or does it "hurt too much", as you would say? Is that what you mean?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If they would stay out of politics and classrooms, we would indeed not bother them at all.
Politics and classrooms used to be Holy ground.

As they say, God created three great institutions to learn about Him:

1. Home
  2. Government*
  3. Church
* Note this passage ...

Isaiah 33:22 For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; he will save us.

... where all three branches of our Federal government are found.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

As they say, God created three great institutions to learn about Him:

1. Home
  2. Government*
  3. Church
* Note this passage ...

Isaiah 33:22 For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; he will save us.

... where all three branches of our Federal government are found.

That's funny... I thought our government was based on the philosophies of John Locke and Montesquieu...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
"Pretend"? is that what I'm doing?

More specifically, you like to pretend that your views on what creationism is are akin to YEC views, even while claiming over and over you are not YEC. Most YECs would indeed include topics like Noak's Flood and the age of the earth as part of "creationism." Indeed, these topics are as central to "Creation Science" movement as Special Creation is.

Upvote 0

verysincere

Exegete/Linguist
Jan 18, 2012
Haiti
✟18,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Now THIS is going to be entertaining: Tell us, AV, when in the history of mankind that POLITICS was "holy ground"!

Yes, I realize that someone who has proudly posted "Evidence can take a hike!" is not going to give us any historical evidence that politics was EVER "holy ground". Indeed, if we've learned anything from the countless AV posts in these forums it is the idea that nobody expects any links between data and conclusion in AV's declarations of "fact."

But as far as arguments based upon history, haven't we been told by various defenders of Young Earth Creationism that "Were you there?" is the wildcard that can always be played when historical evidence is presented?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My granddaughter thought it would be funny to remove all of the IGNORE settings of my CF account. Oh well. At least it can provide some comic relief.
Perhaps she wants you to learn something new?
Because I returned to this forum to gather more data for my study of Young Earth Creationist beliefs. I've retired from teaching but if you wish to learn from my answers, you can read them in other venues. (And not everyone here shares your focus on "answering" your own questions.)
Your answers aren't anything new to me. I've been here a lot longer than you have, and I've heard it alllll before.
If you don't like the way "creation science" writers and Young Earth Creationists like Gish, Lisle, Wise, Whitcomb, and several generations of Morris' obsess on those topics which you listed, I suggest you complain to them directly!

As a general rule, I don't voice complaints against my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

1 Corinthians 6:1 Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?

That particular activity is called 'variance,' and variance is a sin.
I study YECs.
No you don't. You pester them, in my opinion. You use them to ridicule Christians and the Bible.
I don't work for them.
That's not hard to ascertain. I have a feeling they wouldn't hire you.
They don't employ me as their press agents, much less their apologists.
No, but I have a feeling I know who does employ you; but don't worry ... I'll keep it to myself.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
More specifically, you like to pretend that your views on what creationism is are akin to YEC views, even while claiming over and over you are not YEC.
I have also shown from Wikipedia that I am not YEC, haven't I?
Most YECs would indeed include topics like Noak's Flood and the age of the earth as part of "creationism."
I wouldn't know ... I'm not a YEC, and I don't think like a YEC.

Upvote 0

verysincere

Exegete/Linguist
Jan 18, 2012
Haiti
✟18,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, but I have a feeling I know who does employ you; but don't worry ... I'll keep it to myself.

What an original tactic!

Whoever heard of a creationist ignoring the evidence and instead attributing sinister associations to anyone who DARES to disagree with him! I've never ever seen that happen.

I wonder who AV thinks "employs" me? Who could it be? Too bad AV is keeping it to himself. As a result, nobody will ever know who (or what?) I am "working" for.

At least AV didn't go so far as to suggest that I work....for SATAN!!!!!!! [Insert Dana Carvey's Church Lady voice here.] After all, that would have been a cheap shot----and another of those CF forum violations AV complains about. And after all, if he were to ignore actual evidence and instead simply declare that somebody works for Satan, that would have made him look both childish and petty. And AV would never do that.

Upvote 0