Why do you think people lose faith in Christ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Christianity is declining in America and other developed countries... but growing rapidly in undeveloped and developing countries. How do you account for this change? It seems to me that Christianity, from the hearing of the gospel, sounds like a pretty good deal. All you have to do is repent your sins, turn to Christ, and maybe Christ can transfer all your sins to his body so you have no burden holding you back as you ascend to heaven. Sounds good, right? The problem is, if this is part of the deal, then what's the catch? Think of God 24/7? Becoming preoccupied for sinning?

Echetus

Aug 21, 2008
✟731.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Our Heavenly Father the Lord Jesus Christ is perfect. God is pure light, in Him there is no darkness. In Him all righteousness and good dwells, it is so perfect, that He is Holy. We will Worship as much as He wishes or enables, even if it endless worship we will be in Heaven, endless paradise. Seek first the Lord and His righteousness and all things will added unto you. He is HOLY

Upvote 0

TomZzyzx

Mar 23, 2011
✟9,184.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hestha said:
Christianity is declining in America and other developed countries... but growing rapidly in undeveloped and developing countries. How do you account for this change? It seems to me that Christianity, from the hearing of the gospel, sounds like a pretty good deal. All you have to do is repent your sins, turn to Christ, and maybe Christ can transfer all your sins to his body so you have no burden holding you back as you ascend to heaven. Sounds good, right? The problem is, if this is part of the deal, then what's the catch? Think of God 24/7? Becoming preoccupied for sinning?

Christianity if flourishing where I live in California. Many people are accepting Christ every week. Many people in India, China and some Muslim countries are also turning to Christ in great numbers.

Christ has already paid for our sins with His life when He died on the cross. all you have to do is accept and believe that He has done so and you will be saved. There is no catch, it's called Grace.

Upvote 0

episkopos

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
✟8,108.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
First point: the scripture is fulfilled which says "the gospel is preached to the poor"

The people of the so called "advanced nations" feel they do not need God.

Second point: Allowing the Cares of the World to Choke the Word

"And the cares of this worid choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful." (Mark 4:19)

Third: there is an apostasy to come in the last days.

"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." (Matthew 24:12)

Fourth: shallowness. "They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away." (Luke 8:13). People do not read nor belive the scriptures as should be. Also the truth is not preached from the pulpits anymore.

We have to continue to pray for the Church all over the world and for ourselves that we do not fall into temptation. "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." (Matthew 26:41)

We have to pray for the mercies of God for revival, The book BACKSLIDING (Dad Heward-Mills) is a helpful resource.

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You think it's easy to realize you're a sinner, totally under the wrath of God, then admitting I can do nothing, and play no part, in my reconciliation, that I trust in the work He did to bring us back to Him?

Just read some of the posts around here. Everybody has their own thoughts on ways God could have done something better, and their not so bad after all, I mean, they aren't out killing people and eating them. Pride.

You think it's easy? Try it sometimes with no reservations and no holding back at any point, complete faith and trust. It's not only not easy, it's impossible. No one seeks after God and all who come to him are drawn by Him first.

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

There are many reasons for this:

1. Science has been pitted against religion, and people often falsely assume that they are incompatible.

2. While some Christians are Liberal, Christians are typically assumed to be Conservative. Conservatives are more often Christian, while Liberals have a tendency towards atheism or some other religion. And we all know how pleasant people are over political disagreements--not. As such, Christianity is not popular with half of America.

3. Televangelism and the prosperity gospel give Christianity a bad name. Then there are certain groups like Westboro and the occasional preacher accused of sexual assault who get an abundance of media attention.

4. People are more inclined to look to religion when they're doing well for themselves. Jesus Himself said that it was difficult for a rich man to be saved. Developed countries like America are very well off. As soon as disaster hits, they might have a religious spurt, but it is likely to die out when things calm down.

5. School education is biased towards unbelief. Orienting kids this way from a young age is not exactly ideal for religion. It doesn't stop with primary education either, but it continues through college. I've hardly had any professors who couldn't keep their religious opinions to themselves, and they know that no one is going to disagree with them. It's no wonder so many leave their religion in that age range.

6. Like with number 4, having an abundance of education removes the need for religion. If you think you've got all the answers, why would you need the Bible or church to tell you anything?

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christianity is declining in America and other developed countries... but growing rapidly in undeveloped and developing countries. How do you account for this change?
a key aspect of Biblical Christianity is suffering and trials. In america suffering and trials have become a sin against popular morality.
It seems to me that Christianity, from the hearing of the gospel, sounds like a pretty good deal. All you have to do is repent your sins, turn to Christ, and maybe Christ can transfer all your sins to his body so you have no burden holding you back as you ascend to heaven. Sounds good, right? The problem is, if this is part of the deal, then what's the catch?
To stop living for one's self which is another mortal sin in popular morality.

Upvote 0

DCJazz

Doctor Coffee
Dec 15, 2010
Idaho, USA
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

What catch? You make it sound as if it is works righteousness, which is unbiblical, heretical, and goes against Christ himself.
It also sounds like you don't know what Christianity even is other than the repent part.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Jesus does a much better job than I could explaining what happens:

5. &#8220;A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path; it was trampled on, and the birds ate it up.</SPAN> 6 Some fell on rocky ground, and when it came up, the plants withered because they had no moisture. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up with it and choked the plants. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown.&#8221;&#8230;
11. &#8220;This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God.(H)</SPAN> 12 Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. 13 Those on the rocky ground are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away.(I) 14 The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life&#8217;s worries, riches(J) and pleasures, and they do not mature. 15 But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.

Lots of people in the west call themselves &#8220;Christians&#8221; because it is the socially acceptable thing to do.

Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Lots of people in the west call themselves “Christians” because it is the socially acceptable thing to do.

Since when did calling oneself a "Christian" become a socially acceptable thing to do?

Unless one is persecuted in a society where being non-Christian is socially unacceptable, it seems that being a Christian or not is a neutral term.

I am not a Christian; I also don't call myself a Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joey_downunder

big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What's the catch? People who know what is commanded of them realise that Jesus expects be their LORD as well as Saviour.

Modern society endorses self-exultation and self-worship, calling it self-actualisation and high self-esteem and achieving one's true potential. Or realising their inner divine nature. Or fulfilling their personal destiny. Or "to thine self be true". Where's the God/god in that?

True repentance -metanoia - is not just "believing in Jesus as my buddy and to experience positive life change", it will cause a total change of worldview i.e. from pleasing self to pleasing God.

Many people still wish to keep themselves on the throne, do what they want, please themselves NOT God. To them the price of self-sacrifice is too great, therefore they formulate whatever excuse is most convincing to themselves. I openly admit I was one of those people. It is *won't* believe not *can't* believe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I openly admit I was one of those people. It is *won't* believe not *can't* believe.

So, are you going to share your story about you were "one of those people"?

What if you are just not a spiritual person? Maybe, you are invited by a deeply religious person to join one of their parties. At the party, you clap your hands together and stay silent, and for a moment, you feel that nothing is really happening. All you hear is the speaker reciting a dinner prayer before eating, and while that person is speaking, you are busy wondering whether or not there really is a god in the sky listening. Later at home, you try to recite one of those prayers, but forget what the prayer is about and don't know how to begin a prayer, so you just quit.

Upvote 0

joey_downunder

big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So, are you going to share your story about you were "one of those people"?
Hestha - that could be a long story! I'll give major points:

*was brought up Catholic, born-again "properly" in late teens after good teachings from friends and acquaintances

*difficult circumstances + health issues + atheist husband (no interest in religion)-> loss of all religious feelings -> lifestyle of sin (attitudes not obvious behaviour)

* hearing street evangelism again jogged my memory.... didn't want to believe for me personally and made excuses "I'll never feel anything so how do I know if faith is for real?"

* decided to look at facts and bible again any way (like in my teens) and I understood things properly again.

I remember a very strong struggle with not giving up all my worldly ways of thinking that suited me. For me it would be a lot "easier" if I wasn't Christian. No family or husband share my beliefs.
What if you are just not a spiritual person?
Do you think you may be confusing "spiritual" with "religious experiences/feelings" type of person?

I have noticed a lot of thinking atheists/agnostics and thinking personality Christians on this forum struggle with seeing every Christian they know seeming to "feel" God and they feel nothing at all.

Atheists seem to think religion is not for them/it's all in those people's minds, and those thinking personality Christians doubt if they're "real" Christians when they watch everybody around them *seeming* to experience God.

An interesting thing for you to know - back in the 18th and 19th century Christian theological works were extremely intellectual and biased towards thinking Christians and didn't minister to the average Christian struggling with personal issues etc. In 20th and 21st century it has swung to the other extreme.

If you are interested have you thought to look for Christian books that minister to "thinking personality" people? Hint: AVOID any televangelist's or faith healer's best-selling books like the plague.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Based on observation there tends to be a couple key reasons that tend to be most common:

1) There is a high degree of theological and historical illiteracy among Christians, and much of what gets passed on as popular information is blatantly inaccurate. The result of this can be that as a Christian is exposed to just how messy, complex, and inaccurate the popularized information is it leads to a rather large distrust of the "Christian establishment" so to speak. It can be very unsettling to learn that the Bible didn't just materialize, but that the ancient Church wrestled, debated, and spent large amounts of time and energy discussing the boundaries of the Biblical Canon--and that the question is still in some ways left unsettled as can be observed by differences between Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox Canons. Related to this could be the Creationism/Evolution issue, when many churches present Young Earth Creationism so absolutely and dogmatically it can destroy one's entire world when someone raised in such an environment is confronted with real science and are left feeling like they have to make a choice between science and faith.

2) The other major issue that I think is cause is an increasing experience of religious hypocrisy, and of Christians behaving badly. When you continually are in an environment or witness to an environment that is toxic where in the name of the Prince of Peace people condemn, judge, criticize, attack, abuse, harm, and advocate general ugliness against other people. Authoritarian leadership, emotional/physical/spiritual abuse, and all sorts of other ugly and toxic things are a great way for someone to see the wide disparity between what is the supposed ideal of Charity as espoused by Jesus and what is perceived as Christianity-at-large. As such, why bother with the Christianity bit if it is so toxic and so unlike the Jesus it is supposed to represent?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Do you think you may be confusing "spiritual" with "religious experiences/feelings" type of person?

I have noticed a lot of thinking atheists/agnostics and thinking personality Christians on this forum struggle with seeing every Christian they know seeming to "feel" God and they feel nothing at all.

Atheists seem to think religion is not for them/it's all in those people's minds, and those thinking personality Christians doubt if they're "real" Christians when they watch everybody around them *seeming* to experience God.

An interesting thing for you to know - back in the 18th and 19th century Christian theological works were extremely intellectual and biased towards thinking Christians and didn't minister to the average Christian struggling with personal issues etc. In 20th and 21st century it has swung to the other extreme.

If you are interested have you thought to look for Christian books that minister to "thinking personality" people? Hint: AVOID any televangelist's or faith healer's best-selling books like the plague.

What's wrong with televangelists and faith healer's best-selling books, and why should one avoid them like the plague?

What kind of Christian books that minister to "thinking personality" people you are thinking of?

Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Based on observation there tends to be a couple key reasons that tend to be most common:

1) There is a high degree of theological and historical illiteracy among Christians, and much of what gets passed on as popular information is blatantly inaccurate. The result of this can be that as a Christian is exposed to just how messy, complex, and inaccurate the popularized information is it leads to a rather large distrust of the "Christian establishment" so to speak. It can be very unsettling to learn that the Bible didn't just materialize, but that the ancient Church wrestled, debated, and spent large amounts of time and energy discussing the boundaries of the Biblical Canon--and that the question is still in some ways left unsettled as can be observed by differences between Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox Canons. Related to this could be the Creationism/Evolution issue, when many churches present Young Earth Creationism so absolutely and dogmatically it can destroy one's entire world when someone raised in such an environment is confronted with real science and are left feeling like they have to make a choice between science and faith.

2) The other major issue that I think is cause is an increasing experience of religious hypocrisy, and of Christians behaving badly. When you continually are in an environment or witness to an environment that is toxic where in the name of the Prince of Peace people condemn, judge, criticize, attack, abuse, harm, and advocate general ugliness against other people. Authoritarian leadership, emotional/physical/spiritual abuse, and all sorts of other ugly and toxic things are a great way for someone to see the wide disparity between what is the supposed ideal of Charity as espoused by Jesus and what is perceived as Christianity-at-large. As such, why bother with the Christianity bit if it is so toxic and so unlike the Jesus it is supposed to represent?

-CryptoLutheran

Wow. After reading this, I would rather be a historically and theologically literate person on the Bible and Christianity than become a Christian. Hee-hee. By that time, I would know more than the average Christian and teach Christians how to be proper Christians while remaining non-Christian myself. ^_^

Upvote 0

joey_downunder

big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Many televangelists are extreme Word-of-Faith preachers. The worst ones promise God will give you whatever you want IF you have enough faith and think positively enough. e.g. Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland. Some promise that God will bless the TV viewer will reward them financially IF they send the TV evangelist a seed offering that proves their faith.

Re Christian books/websites - what topic are you specifically thinking of? e.g. Fundamentals of the faith, Christian apologetics?

Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Many televangelists are extreme Word-of-Faith preachers. The worst ones promise God will give you whatever you want IF you have enough faith and think positively enough. e.g. Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland. Some promise that God will bless the TV viewer will reward them financially IF they send the TV evangelist a seed offering that proves their faith.

Re Christian books/websites - what topic are you specifically thinking of? e.g. Fundamentals of the faith, Christian apologetics?

What are all the topics?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States