Why do we love God?

persontwo

Feb 16, 2011
✟15,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Stuggling in my faith about God- which is strange, right, because he personally delivered me from so much.

Tl;dr: Why do we love God? Why do we believe in the death of Christ, and why did he die for us?

Long story ahead.

I have no motivation for anything, literally. I am lazy. And there will be no solution for that other than hard work. However, I am motivated by the avoidance of failure. I hate failing. It stinks.

In my quest for wisdom I realized that we are to Love God with all our heart, mind body and soul.

I was like, hey! That could be motivation.

Except... I don't want to. I don't really feel like loving God, or giving him praise. And it's not to be insulting. Surely, He is using this to eradicate the unbelief and hard-heartedness in me.

Any thoughts?

Dec 8, 2011
✟9,658.00
Faith
Baptist
We love God because He loved us first:

"Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved, we ought also to love one another." 1 John 4:10-11

We love Him because He died for us. We couldn't pardon ourselves or pay off our own sin debt, so God, who loved us so much that He didn't want to see us go to hell, sent Himself as Jesus Christ to pay our debt, He made the ultimate sacrifice for us. And he guides us through the Holy Spirit.

That's why we should love Him - does there need to be another reason? Being the receivers of unconditional and absolute love..I think that's reason enough?

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Stuggling in my faith about God- which is strange, right, because he personally delivered me from so much.

Tl;dr: Why do we love God? Why do we believe in the death of Christ, and why did he die for us?

Long story ahead.

I have no motivation for anything, literally. I am lazy. And there will be no solution for that other than hard work. However, I am motivated by the avoidance of failure. I hate failing. It stinks.

In my quest for wisdom I realized that we are to Love God with all our heart, mind body and soul.

I was like, hey! That could be motivation.

Except... I don't want to. I don't really feel like loving God, or giving him praise. And it's not to be insulting. Surely, He is using this to eradicate the unbelief and hard-heartedness in me.

Any thoughts?
You need the Holy Spirit.

God wants you to be filled with His Spirit.
Luke 11:13
If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children,
how much more will your heavenly Father give the
Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”

Acts 1:8
But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you;
and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem,
and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

Acts 2:33
Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God,
and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit,
He poured out this which you now see and hear.

Acts 8:17
Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Acts 8:19
saying, “Give me this power also,
that anyone on whom I lay hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”

Acts 19:2
he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”
So they said to him, “We have not so much as heard whether
there is a Holy Spirit.”

1 Corinthians 2:12
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world,
but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the
things that have been freely given to us by God.

There is joy in the Holy spirit...

1 Thessalonians 1:6
And you became followers of us and of the Lord,

having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Spirit,

Acts 13:52
And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.

Romans 14:17
for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking,
but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit gives us the power to love God.

Galatians 5:22
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace,
longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

Romans 8:15
For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear,
but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”

You need to be filled with God's Holy Spirit.

Romans 15:13
Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing,
that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

You need to be baptized in the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 3:11
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance,
but He who is coming after me is mightier than
I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry.
He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Mark 1:8
I indeed baptized you with water, but
He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

John 1:33
I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said
to me, ‘Upon whom you see the Spirit descending,
and remaining on Him,
this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’

Seek after this gift until you receive it.

Don't believe those who live defeated lives with no power, love,
joy or desire as they say there is no baptism in the Holy Spirit.

God does still give the baptism of the Holy Spirit to those
who surrender their lives to God in Christ and who
desire to serve God and love Him with a pure heart.

Read the book of Acts and see the power of God at work in the lives
of those who received the baptism of the Holy Spirit .

Compare the lives of the early Christians to the lives of men today.
Most men today live defeated, broken and powerless Christian lives.

What is missing?

Men today say that there isn't any greater portion of God's Spirit and
that they already have all of God Spirit that they need and yet their lives
have no power as they tell you that the early church power is not meant
for today's Christians.

There is power, love, joy, peace and more in the Holy Spirit
but you have to seek it because everyone has told you that you can't have
it so your doubt is huge and you do not believe that God wants you to have
this greater portion of His Holy Spirit.

You must overcome the fear and doubt men have put into your heart
and go after all that God has for you in the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Link about the baptism of the Holy Spirit..

The Baptism of The Holy Spirit - Facts about the Holy Spirit, fruit of the spirit, Jesus, Holy Ghost, God, tongues, prayer, speaking in tongues, pentecost, trinity, Bible, scripture, Father, Son

Coming of the Holy Spirit

Acts 2
1 When the Day of Pentecost had fully come,
they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven,
as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole
house where they were sitting.
3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues,
as of fire, and one sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and
began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Acts 10:44
[ The Holy Spirit Falls on the Gentiles ]
While Peter was still speaking these words,
the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word.

Acts 11:15
And as I began to speak,
the Holy Spirit fell upon them, as upon us at the beginning.

Ephesians 5:17-19
Therefore do not be unwise,
but understand what the will of the Lord is.
And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation;
but be filled with the Spirit,
speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs,
singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thusia Zao

Living Sacrifice
Dec 1, 2011
California
✟15,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If there is no God, then why do people love?

Athiests attribute love as a neurobiological response and nothing more. They attribute love in different ways and tie them into terms like attraction, kindness, "pay it forward", to make a difference/change in someone else's life etc.

Love in that sense, no matter the outer intentions, is therefore selfish. Love without a Creator, without God, is centered upon fulfilling joy in your own life, peace in loving others, giving to feel better about yourself, etc.

Love as a believer and with God is sacrificial, selfless. God doesn't need our love, He is sovereign and all-powerful. Yet our lives dedicated to him should be out of love. Love because God spared your life by sacrificing His perfect and pure Son to die on the cross for us.

There was no greater love expressed than what Jesus did on that cross. At the cross God's image was made whole - in love and in justice.

To the thread starter - what is your definition of love and is it in line with the Gospel?

Upvote 0
D

DreamerOfHearts

God made you how you are.

And is pretty used to abuse.

At least you are trying and honest about your feelings. Countless people out there are not.

What is the basis for your grudge with God. Get to that, and that should get you over.

We love God because God loves us. Not the other way around.

Find God's love by finding the block.... and dealing with those sore feelings.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟58,495.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear persontwo. God is Love, and God wants loving children/sons and daughters. Why?? A loving Heavenly Father wants loving children around Him. How can we become loving children/sons and daughters? Jesus gave us two Commandments: 1) Love God with all our hearts, with all or souls and with all our minds. 2) Love our neighbour as ourselves. That is not easy, but it needs to be done, to become loving children of our Heavenly Father.
How do we do this? We always treat all others, friends or not friends, as we would love to be treated: kindly, with friendly words and helping hands.
Why? Love is very catching, Love also changes all, whether people or circumstances. This is very important, Jesus tells us that on loving God and loving each other, hangs all the Law and the Prophets. IN TRUTH: We have to learn to love and to care. It is ONLY by practice and practising, that we become perfect. God wants loving children around Him, and HOW can we become more, and more loving and caring?? By practising down here on Earth. God is Love, and Love is the Key to God`s Kingdom. To be with God and our Christian brothers and sisters, we have to become God`s loving children.
Why do we love God? We are made in God`s image, God wants loving children, and our proto-type parents, ( Adam and Eve) did NOT LOVE GOD ENOUGH, to resist the lying temptations of the SERPENT.
Now we are on Earth to learn to become loving, as God is loving. Jesus told us while on Earth: " Be ye perfect as God is perfect." I say this with love, persontwo. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ. P.S. It is not much use to say: " we will never become as perfect as Jesus wants us to." We have enough time to learn, and our Heavenly Father is a Just and Loving God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

day time

Love is complex, and expresses itself in a variety of ways. When you begin to see it, you realize that sometimes people don't even realize they are giving it, getting it ... experiencing it.

In the way you can look at a sunset, and see something that shows you "God" ... but the person next to you doesn't .... so to can you find Love in places you wouldn't expect to find it.

Like in yourself, when you don't even think it's there. Those are the times I've found it's most powerful, because when there doesn't seem to be a single shred of recognizable love, or even a reason there *should* be any in a place .... if you catch a glimpse of it, you see a glimpse of some of the aspects of God that make God so immensely powerful, but HUMBLE at the same time.

God is humble.

Love is powerful, majestic .... protective, and life-giving. Death conquering.

The fact that you don't even have to appreciate it ... yet you still are given it ... you don't have to reciprocate, yet you will still have it worked into your members ...

The fact that two people who are seething with fear and hatred and condemnation are given a safe place to experience their lack of Love, IS LOVE.

Even the aspects of God that seem the darkest, the most forboding, the deepest, the most desert like and stark ... you find love even when you are afraid and fear the worst, that the worst monsters imaginable are going to get the best of you. Love is there. Working in a way you can't imagine, but if you get a glimpse, you are empowered. If it's within you ... you begin to understand the nature of those who are eternal and immortal and spiritual.

Love is surreal, but practical. When you don't see it, it's still there. When you don't have it within, you crave it like a baby needs food, or a corpse needs life. When you produce it from within, it's as though it was always there, waiting to be recognized for what it was all along.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Patroklos

God is wrath
Jan 21, 2012
✟481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
T

TruthSeeker2012

Paul Washer is a false teacher and teaches a false gospel, and does not represent Jesus Christ.:doh:

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/paul_washer.htm

Ironically, Paul Washer is still a sinner, so according to his OWN teachings, he is lost!

You would be wise to renounce your faith in Paul Washer , and instead come to Christ and Holy Scripture and place your faith in those alone.

God bless.

Upvote 0