May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What I want to know is why people feel it's ok to openly comment on someone who is thin. I posted a picture of my sister once on another board and someone made the comment that she looked "sickly". The girls eats...all the time, eating and not gaining weight kinda runs in our family. It ticked me off because I would assume that if my sister had been overweight she wouldn't have made a similar comment. If you wouldn't ask a fat person what's "wrong" with them, then why do you feel it's ok to ask someone who's thin? It's just as rude...I know I was often offended and hurt in high school by the nurses and other class mates who often asked if I had an eating disorder.

Oh I know. I would never hear the end of it if I asked an overweight person if they ever stop eating. Yet, its perfectly ok for me to get asked if I eat, or if I starve myself or throw up my food.

Upvote 0

mattybartholomew

Nov 3, 2007
South Beach,FL
✟342.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What I want to know is why people feel it's ok to openly comment on someone who is thin.

Sin has twisted their minds.

Being slim is normal, being obese is abnormal.

To think otherwise is twisted.

I also think I have a part way plausible theory, I believe that since such a large portion of our society is obese due to decisions they make, when they see a slim person, they become jealous because down deep they assume that the slim person has more will power than they do or better dna.

Upvote 0

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
I also think I have a part way plausible theory, I believe that a since such a large portion of our society is obese due to decisions they make, when they see a slim person, they become jealous because down deep they assume that the slim person has more will power than they do or better dna.

A-firken-Men. (And I don't usually agree with your POV, but this I whole-heartedly do. :thumbsup:)

Signed,
Anna Wintour.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
People always think I'm anorexic.. (or however you spell it :p) even though I'm average weight for my height.

I would be willing to bet this is only a problem in America.. Can someone back me up on that?

With Australia being the fattest country in the world, I wouldn't bet on it.

Upvote 0

mattybartholomew

Nov 3, 2007
South Beach,FL
✟342.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
With Australia being the fattest country in the world, I wouldn't bet on it.

Well Australia has been "Americanized/Westernized" , so it's no surprise to me. A shame truly, those Australian accents are "Dead Sexy".

No wonder so many countries hate America.

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was in Italy; many native people told me I was too skinny and I needed to eat more. And then after I ate with them they remarked that I had a good appetite. I don't think I'm waif like or too skinny. I'm slender but definitely healthy. I think their initial reactions to my weight was much more good natured ribbing; while most if not all of the reactions i've gotten in this country were just meanness and b/c those people were upset over their weight and it was some weird aggresive madness that I didn't have to struggle with what they were struggling with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Skinny people had issues I wish I had. "oh darn I lost another pound". Instead of course I'm on the other side of that coin and have kinda struggled my whole life. But for me, in my heart I know I'm jealous, but IRL I don't treat them bad...although we do tease my one girlfriend sometimes in fun cuz she's just so cute and seriously would look great in a paper bag it wouldn't matter, but it's all in fun and she knows we wish we had her figure that's all, but we're never mean about it, that's just not right. We are supposed to treat others as we would like to be treated.

Upvote 0

Periann

Nov 21, 2003
TX
✟11,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Depends on how skinny and their norm. I know people who have lost so much weight that their thinness now makes me wonder about their relationship with food.

I love food and cooking, however I'm pretty average weight. I'm a size 6 (pushing 8 now :( ) American, which is probably fat in Euro sizing. If someone were to ask me whether I was anorexic, I would truly assume that they were the one with the issue, not me. Same goes if someone says I'm fat, although I'm trying to slender up a bit. I think if you're eating healthy and are still thin, you're blessed, and the person who has the issue with food is not you. It's a self projection in most cases IMO.

Upvote 0

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Depends on how skinny and their norm. I know people who have lost so much weight that their thinness now makes me wonder about their relationship with food.

I love food and cooking, however I'm pretty average weight. I'm a size 6 (pushing 8 now :( ) American, which is probably fat in Euro sizing. If someone were to ask me whether I was anorexic, I would truly assume that they were the one with the issue, not me. Same goes if someone says I'm fat, although I'm trying to slender up a bit. I think if you're eating healthy and are still thin, you're blessed, and the person who has the issue with food is not you. It's a self projection in most cases IMO.

I kinda agree with what you're saying, I need to add though that no European would ever dare call you fat, if your clothes size tells anything about your proportions. :) I have to wonder where you got that idea from... An average European probably would wear American 8/10 clothes.

Upvote 0

ceh85

You shattered my darkness,washed away my blindness
Mar 25, 2009
✟15,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I kinda agree with what you're saying, I need to add though that no European would ever dare call you fat, if your clothes size tells anything about your proportions. :) I have to wonder where you got that idea from... An average European probably would wear American 8/10 clothes.

Yup to all the above.

Re the OP: honestly, I think some of it is jealousy. Some girls I know who are thin are thinking about it all the time and making 'jokes' about how they need to stay thin etc, and then others just are naturally slim and don't particularly try to maintain it. When I see someone who is thin as a rake it is different - they really stand out and it's quite obvious they have some sort of eating disorder. Like Trashionista said, it's really not hard to tell, at least with the more extreme cases.

Reactions: Trashionista
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ceh85

You shattered my darkness,washed away my blindness
Mar 25, 2009
✟15,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Im not jealous of the waif girls, but the ones that are naturally thin, YES I am! But that being said, even though I am jealous, I wouldn't treat them badly. That would be silly cuz I want to be like them lol.

Just to make it clear, I wasn't being specific and referring to you in my post. Or anyone else who posted here. I kind of agree with what you said above lol. I think someone else said it better than I did, that ppl who are mean about it probably have issues of their own. I might wish I had that metabolism or whatever but I try not to let it show haha. Would be like I was being mean to someone because of their eye colour or something. I think if I was mean to someone about it my reaction afterwards would be 'well why don't I put the time into being healthy myself instead of resenting others?'.

Upvote 0

ProAntiRevolution

Mar 27, 2010
✟2,264.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Everybody's got issues one way or another. But slender is becoming an increasingly rare condition. You have the growing population of people that are overweight, and then you have those in the "fitness community" (for lack of a better term for fitness buffs and athletes) that have athletic builds. That draws increasing attention to people that are both lean and lack muscle development: or skinny. It's also not a desirable condition for most men. Some of those GNC weight gainers I've seen guys choke down are a testament to their commitment not to be skinny.

Upvote 0