Why do Christians hate the theory of evolution?

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,740,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What? The creation accounts don't teach theology? That's so wrong I don't know where to start.

Never read protoevangelum?

Theology is the study of God. The bible isn't a text book. Theology is derived from scripture, though.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Theology is the study of God. The bible isn't a text book. Theology is derived from scripture, though.

^^This is true^^ I am taking theology right now. There are many kinds of theology some true some false, some are from the bible some are not. The Bible is The Word of God.

Last part is untrue Hammster, not all theology is from the Bible. Pantheism is the believe that everything is God, that is not from the Bible but is a theology. Atheism is also a theology.

edit this to include this to better show what I mean.
from webster Dic.
the·ol·o·gy noun \thē-ˈä-lə-jē\
: the study of religious faith, practice, and experience : the study of God and God's relation to the world

: a system of religious beliefs or ideas

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,740,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
^^This is true^^ I am taking theology right now. There are many kinds of theology some true some false, some are from the bible some are not. The Bible is The Word of God.

Last part is untrue Hammster, not all theology is from the Bible. Pantheism is the believe that everything is God, that is not from the Bible but is a theology. Atheism is also a theology.

edit this to include this to better show what I mean.
from webster Dic.
the·ol·o·gy noun \thē-ˈä-lə-jē\
: the study of religious faith, practice, and experience : the study of God and God's relation to the world

: a system of religious beliefs or ideas
My comment was limited to the study of God.

Upvote 0
A

Awaken4Christ

I don't disagree with everything that evolution has to say. Science can be seen as human attempts at explaining the physical laws that God has put in place. Now evolution we know to be at-least partly true, to what extent, however, is debatable.

There is what is called macro evolution and micro-evolution. We see micro evolution all the time. In dog breeds for instance, we have everything from a Chihuahua to a Saint Bernard. Micro evolution is more limited within the confines of the genetic code in our dna. So Micro evolution is typically accepted by Christians whether they know it or not.

Now the problem some Christians start having with evolution is Macro Evolution. This is where you get genetic changes beyond a species like other primates turning into humans.

I honestly don't know where I stand on macro evolution. It sounds strange to me some of the more drastic changes in evolution. I am sure the Book of Genesis has left out some details, otherwise it would probably be a million pages. One thing I do know is that whether evolution is partly true or completely true, then it does absolutely nothing to my Faith in God.

I think those opposed to God have used evolution as a tool to try prove the existence of God as being wrong and that is a sad thing, but what may even be sadder is that Christian apologists have tried focusing on the Evolution VS Intelligent Design thing. God cannot be scientifically scrutinized under the lens of a microscope. We weren't meant to draw nearer to God by discovering the truth through mans cleverness. We were meant to draw nearer to God by hearing his Gospel and Believing in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

nt11

Mar 14, 2009
✟7,798.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Agreed 100%, Awaken4Christ. I only brought this up because I am sick of people focusing on such divisive issues to the point that they make their entire faith about them. When non-believers think "Fundamental Christian," they generally think not so nice things. I was a non-believer once, and unless we had the fortune of being born into a fundamentalist family, all of us once were. I simply am bringing the outside perspective that if people stopped focusing on the most inane garbage and focused on bringing people to God, we as Christians would be much more successful in saving people's souls. Just a few of the vitriolic reactions I received from a simple question about scriptural accuracy made me want to leave the forum. Do you respond that way to everyone who asks you that? How many do you save that way? We as Christians should be careful with our language - I even think someone referred to me as homosexual. Well buddy, I've served 6 years in the Army, attained the rank of Captain, and commanded men in combat. During my tour in Afghanistan, my fiancee left me. I've developed PTSD due to my service and severe depression from my fiancee. But I've kept faith in God, and that's the only thing that has kept me alive. You want to have a discussion about love and loss, brother? Or do you want to keep making accusations about homosexuality? Let's get into the serious issues in life, how about that? Or do you want to talk about random peoples' sexual orientations that put them on the same level as liars, thieves, and other violators of the Law?

And I looked it up, it's in the next couple pages. Someone could have simply told me that instead of being self-righteously angry toward a simple question. I've never been so offended in my life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A

Awaken4Christ

I also want to affirm the inerrancy of scripture and also say that I believe the genesis account as well. God and God's word is the only absolute we have. Men may get things about nature partially right but I would only trust God's word.

I see science as a tool for this world that is either used for good or for evil.
I think the truth of the matter is that today's science has a lot of "conflicts of interest" and hardly ever is there "pure science" practiced. We come from biases, we are in a fallen world after all.

While I see no harm in talking about evolution and wondering if God used such a thing as "evolution", I can see no conclusions arrived at other than what the scriptures say. (that doesn't necessarily mean that the genesis account goes completely against ideas of evolution)

An interesting question op, but like others have mentioned this is probably not the best forum section to have this discussion. This is better suited for the Christian Philosophy and Ethics section.

http://www.christianforums.com/f459/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Agreed 100%, Awaken4Christ. I only brought this up because I am sick of people focusing on such divisive issues to the point that they make their entire faith about them. When non-believers think "Fundamental Christian," they generally think not so nice things. I was a non-believer once, and unless we had the fortune of being born into a fundamentalist family, all of us once were. I simply am bringing the outside perspective that if people stopped focusing on the most inane garbage and focused on bringing people to God, we as Christians would be much more successful in saving people's souls. Just a few of the vitriolic reactions I received from a simple question about scriptural accuracy made me want to leave the forum. Do you respond that way to everyone who asks you that? How many do you save that way? We as Christians should be careful with our language - I even think someone referred to me as homosexual. Well buddy, I've served 6 years in the Army, attained the rank of Captain, and commanded men in combat. During my tour in Afghanistan, my fiancee left me. I've developed PTSD due to my service and severe depression from my fiancee. But I've kept faith in God, and that's the only thing that has kept me alive. You want to have a discussion about love and loss, brother? Or do you want to keep making accusations about homosexuality? Let's get into the serious issues in life, how about that? Or do you want to talk about random peoples' sexual orientations that put them on the same level as liars, thieves, and other violators of the Law?

And I looked it up, it's in the next couple pages. Someone could have simply told me that instead of being self-righteously angry toward a simple question. I've never been so offended in my life.

No one called you gay he used that as an example, he did not imply nor say you were gay.

Thing is you can't save anyone with out faith. That is why it is so important we take the Bible as the word of God, really that is the first step sense you can not receive Jesus with out hearing the word and having faith.

You said it said something in Hebrew it did not say, and I don't like it and I think you have an agenda, sense you would not even address my rebuttal.

You are speaking how you are offended well when you say the word of God is untrue that offends us here in this section, that maybe why you got the reaction you did, but everyone was still nice about it.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Actually, it doesn't teach theology. It's God communicating with man. And He says six days. I'm going with God on this one.

Are you kidding me? Genesis is rife with theology. It is on Genesis we see the first glimpses of redemption through the shedding of innocent blood. What exactly do you think god is communicating if it isn't science or theology?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,740,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Which of my responses was vitriolic?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,740,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Are you kidding me? Genesis is rife with theology. It is on Genesis we see the first glimpses of redemption through the shedding of innocent blood. What exactly do you think god is communicating if it isn't science or theology?

Himself. It's all about Jesus.

You are confusing what He wrote with the study of what He wrote.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Himself. It's all about Jesus.

You are confusing what He wrote with the study of what He wrote.

I'm totally confused.

Theology proper is the name of the study of God.

But theology is not just the study of God.

Theology (from Greek θεός meaning "god" and -λογία, -logy, meaning "study of") is the systematic and rational study of concepts of God and of the nature of religious truths, or the learned profession acquired by completing specialized training in religious studies, usually at a university or school of divinity or seminary.[1]

Theology Proper is the sub-discipline of Systematic Theology which deals specifically with the being, attributes and works of God.
In a Christian setting, this study includes Trinitarian, the Holy Spirit (Pneumatology) and the study of Jesus Christ (Christology). The term Theology (lit. 'God-word') is popularly described as 'talk about God' or God-talk, but is usually used in the generic sense to describe religious studies.

Why are you being so pedantic?

Genesis teaches theology.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,740,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I'm totally confused.

Theology proper is the name of the study of God.

But theology is not just the study of God.

Theology (from Greek θεός meaning "god" and -λογία, -logy, meaning "study of") is the systematic and rational study of concepts of God and of the nature of religious truths, or the learned profession acquired by completing specialized training in religious studies, usually at a university or school of divinity or seminary.[1]

Theology Proper is the sub-discipline of Systematic Theology which deals specifically with the being, attributes and works of God.
In a Christian setting, this study includes Trinitarian, the Holy Spirit (Pneumatology) and the study of Jesus Christ (Christology). The term Theology (lit. 'God-word') is popularly described as 'talk about God' or God-talk, but is usually used in the generic sense to describe religious studies.

Why are you being so pedantic?

Genesis teaches theology.
Okay.

Upvote 0

nt11

Mar 14, 2009
✟7,798.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was talking about Michaelmynameis' response, not yours Hammster. I can understand how you could perceive my question as questioning the truth of scripture. However, I am questioning the truth of doctrine. I believe all things that we hold true in this life should be Bible-based. I simply could not find a passage refuting macro evolution. I could go much farther into it, but I'm sure someone would get offended.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,740,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I was talking about Michaelmynameis' response, not yours Hammster. I can understand how you could perceive my question as questioning the truth of scripture. However, I am questioning the truth of doctrine. I believe all things that we hold true in this life should be Bible-based. I simply could not find a passage refuting macro evolution. I could go much farther into it, but I'm sure someone would get offended.

I gave you a verse. And I showed the flaw in your OP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,740,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What is an OP?

I just said I was talking about another member's message, brother.

OP = Original Post. Post 1. You've not addressed what I said which was a direct reply to your post.

Upvote 0

nt11

Mar 14, 2009
✟7,798.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I acknowledged my error in my post at the bottom of the third page. I looked farther on in the the translation I was analyzing and it mentions "dust" when it specifically talks about the creation of Adam. I don't know, I guess I like to look at the dividing issues among believers and non-believers (that do not relate to accepting Jesus as our Lord and Savior and living by His teachings), and I like to try to defuse those issues to come to a common understanding. If people are swayed away from the faith because of rational disbelief, I see that as a waste, because the love of God is much more powerful than rational opinions. I wish that if someone asked a rational question about the Bible, someone would just say, "That doesn't matter. What matters is that God loves you, He is always pursuing you, and He will always forgive you as long as you believe in Him and try to live in His Word." I think that our faith is often diluted down to non-essential aspects of the faith, and people feel defensive about it and overreact with a staunch defense of the issue, instead of focusing on the person saying it and why he or she is saying it. If you focus on the person, and not the issue they are talking about, you can connect and bring them to your point of view. I believe that if you really want to spread the Word of God and capture peoples' hearts, you should look at the lost as people just dying to be saved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,740,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I acknowledged my error in my post at the bottom of the third page. I looked farther on in the the translation I was analyzing and it mentions "dust" when it specifically talks about the creation of Adam. I don't know, I guess I like to look at the dividing issues among believers and non-believers (that do not relate to accepting Jesus as our Lord and Savior and living by His teachings), and I like to try to defuse those issues to come to a common understanding. If people are swayed away from the faith because of rational disbelief, I see that as a waste, because the love of God is much more powerful than rational opinions. I wish that if someone asked a rational question about the Bible, someone would just say, "That doesn't matter. What matters is that God loves you, He is always pursuing you, and He will always forgive you as long as you believe in Him and try to live in His Word." I think that our faith is often diluted down to non-essential aspects of the faith, and people feel defensive about it and overreact with a staunch defense of the issue, instead of focusing on the person saying it and why he or she is saying it. If you focus on the person, and not the issue they are talking about, you can connect and bring them to your point of view. I believe that if you really want to spread the Word of God and capture peoples' hearts, you should look at the lost as people just dying to be saved.

Here's the bottom line for me.

But he said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.'" (Luke 16:31 NASB)

So if they don't want to listen to what Moses said about creation, why am I going to think that they will believe that Christ rose from the dead?

Upvote 0

nt11

Mar 14, 2009
✟7,798.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I respect you opinion, and I agree that it can be frustrating to talk to people who won't believe the Bible for rational reasons. But was the Lord talking about Moses' Law, or was He talking about the book of Genesis? I am honestly asking from a position of ignorance. Did Moses write Genesis? Do you really think that the verse in Luke was referring to the amount of time that elapsed between the creation of the universe and the current time, or was He talking about Moses' teachings on how to live life?

Upvote 0