Why Do Catholics Pray to and Worship Mary?

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey, I am just parroting a Catholic Encyclopedia. Maybe you should persuade them to alter their website and articles.

Here's my source: CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Christian Worship

Heres a few references I looked up here if they help any

Heres two words for worship in the OT one in hebrew shachah # 7812 and the other in aramaic cĕgid # 5457 both are used interchangebly even in respects to what not to do with images. Examples of this are found in both Exodus 32:8 where shachah is used and in Dan 3:10 wherecĕgid is used

The word Paul uses in respects to the bowing of the knee to the image of Baal and includes in its definition "religious veneration" in Rom 11:4 its the word kamptō # 2578 Outside of Rom 11:4 which is used in respects to the image of Baal is used only 3 other times and shown in truth belonging only to God as shown in Rom 14:11, Ephes 3:14 and Phil 2:10.

Here are some NT the Greek words for worship, one is proskyneō # 4352 an example of which is shown in Rev 22:8 in respects to a man falling down before an angel and also a man falling down before the apostle Peter in Acts 10:35-36 Its also used in respects to figures they made in Acts 7:43. In the previous verse Acts 7:42 its used interchangably with the word latreuō # 3000 in Acts 7:42 is the same word used in respects to serving the creature" more then the Creator (unto which He gave them up to) in Rom 1:25 . In Acts 7:42 it shows another word for worship which issebazomai # 4573 (which is to to fear, be afraid honour religiously, or to worship) the host of heaven in this example. That which they gave to the host of heaven and the creature also belongs to God only as Jesus himself confirms in Mat 4:10 And yet another word for worship is found in respects to visible devotions Paul tells them to repent of this shown in Acts 17:23 whereas here is the word eusebeō # 2151 which means to dutifully regard (which they were doing) in respect to visible devotions, its used twice and shown (in truth) as belonging to family in respects to showing piety at home as shown in 1Ti 5:4 So its a displaced form of regarding one thing (as in "visible devotions" falsely so) over another (where such regarding should truely be placed). The other I found is called "will worship" ethelothrēskia # 1479 and is used only once in a negative sense as well in Col 2:23

Anyone have anymore found in scripture alone I can add, Im studying these out in my boredom ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well if you think given respect and honor to her is dwelling then so be it.

Guilty as charged:wave:
HERE COME DA JUDGE!

http://www.christianforums.com/t7461092-7/#post54554117
The trial of evil angels

Order in the court!!!!
kawaii.gif

Upvote 0

ivebeenshown

Expert invisible poster and thread killer
Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
and by they way I never said Evangelicals threw Jesus in the broom closet. Just Mary and every other great ancient Chrisitan.

On the graven images, in Judges 17 a woman dedicated silver to the LORD, to make a graven image out of it. She obviously knew the LORD was her God, but she wasn't supposed to do that.

How so, even I discuss Mary a lot, and I like to discuss Jesus moreso, you say 'throwing in the broom closet' but why is praying to the heavenly Father every time I pray 'throwing Mary in the broom closet'? I thought Jesus said 'when you pray, pray like this: Dear Heavenly Father...' I'm just taking captain's orders...

Another word for worship in the Greek is found in respects to their visible devotions as shown in Acts 17:23 the word here is eusebeō #2151 which is to dutifully regard in respect to these things, its used twice and shown in its contrast as belonging to family at home in piety as shown in 1Ti 5:4

Hmmm... belonging to family 'at home'

2 Corinthians 5:6
Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:

So we are absent from the Lord but somehow present with the saints and Mary (separation intended) according to some?

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On the graven images, in Judges 17 a woman dedicated silver to the LORD, to make a graven image out of it. She obviously knew the LORD was her God, but she wasn't supposed to do that.

How so, even I discuss Mary a lot, and I like to discuss Jesus moreso, you say 'throwing in the broom closet' but why is praying to the heavenly Father every time I pray 'throwing Mary in the broom closet'? I thought Jesus said 'when you pray, pray like this: Dear Heavenly Father...' I'm just taking captain's orders...

Hmmm... belonging to family 'at home'

2 Corinthians 5:6
Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:

So we are absent from the Lord but somehow present with the saints and Mary (separation intended) according to some?

I havent a clue ^_^

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That is very interesting. So, Catholics, do you worship men and angels and only adore God?
It is still all a matter of semantics, isn't it?
Whether you worship, adore, venerate, whatever you chose to call it, that is something that most non-Catholic, non-Orthodox Christians and /or those whom the Orth and RCC usually call Protestants don't do and don't think is right.

well you love your family, but it is not the same as you love God,
we are suposed to love God abover everything else, so it is kind of the same with saints
how do you describe your love for your family or love for your country as being differant then your love for God

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well if you think given respect and honor to her is dwelling then so be it.

Guilty as charged:wave:
And if you think not praying to her is throwing her into the closet then so be it
:p

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

Rdr Iakovos

Nov 4, 2004
Funkytown
✟8,010.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I'm just parroting what I've read from Catholic sites.
Indeed- to "parrot" is to repeat with neither insight or understanding, without subjecting the matter to thought, consideration, or differential analysis.

Your candor is refreshing.

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'm a bit late into this thread, but would a Catholic/Orthodox Christian please point out to me the Biblical evidence for praying to Mary? Now, I know both your churches operate from Bible and tradition, rather than just the Bible, like us Protestants, but it'd still be interesting to see.

Upvote 0

ivebeenshown

Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Indeed- to "parrot" is to repeat with neither insight or understanding, without subjecting the matter to thought, consideration, or differential analysis.

Your candor is refreshing.

I understand that the tribute paid to Mary and the saints are a lesser reverence than that which is paid to God. I'm stating right now, with thought, insight, understanding, consideration, and differential analysis, that they are all forms of 'worship', and I'm not necessarily obliged to say 'veneration' or 'dulation' or 'hyperdulation' when I could just call a spade a spade without calling them 'a spade with a steel handle' or 'a spade with a wooden handle.'

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

ViribusUnitis

Jul 31, 2010
✟8,295.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I understand that the tribute paid to Mary and the saints are a lesser reverence than that which is paid to God. I'm stating right now, with thought, insight, understanding, consideration, and differential analysis, that they are all forms of 'worship', and I'm not necessarily obliged to say 'veneration' or 'dulation' or 'hyperdulation' when I could just call a spade a spade without calling them 'a spade with a steel handle' or 'a spade with a wooden handle.'

You act as a lawyer who tries to qualify some behaviour into a defined crime

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Disqualifying or to qualify, what is wrong with that when striving for mastery that we be not a castaway?

1Cr 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

Upvote 0

ViribusUnitis

Jul 31, 2010
✟8,295.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Disqualifying or to qualify, what is wrong with that when striving for mastery that we be not a castaway?

1Cr 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

Because the question is if Catholics worship Mary as if she were a god, which they don't, as they don't consider Mary a god.

Upvote 0

ivebeenshown

Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You act as a lawyer who tries to qualify some behaviour into a defined crime

Because the question is if Catholics worship Mary as if she were a god, which they don't, as they don't consider Mary a god.

I didn't see anything in the OP about worshiping her 'as a God'... just about worshiping her.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
love is love
we love the saints and angels, we love God more
we are called to love everyone

Upvote 0