Somewhere
✟8,277.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Augustine_Was_Calvinist said:
Hi raffster:wave:

Would you be kind enough to shead some illumination on what the term, "Vicar of Christ", means?

Thanks in advance.

"Vicar of Christ" to me simply means "Chief Executive Officer of the Church". Contrary to popular protestant belief, Catholics do not regard the Pope as Christ's equal per se or that Catholics worship the Pope. The Pope is simply the boss of all the priests. Nothing more, nothing less. He is still by and large accountable to the spiritual Board of Directors who is presided non other than God, the Supreme Boss in the Universe.

If this is hard to understand just try to imagine all the non-Catholic Christian church leaders of all time. They are and have, whether you like it or not, some kind of title (whether it is honorific or simply a designation from an administrative standpoint). For example, in the present born again church I am attending, there is a head pastor called the Senior Pastor. Imagine taking this to a global level where my born again church has as many churches as the Catholic church itself ... there is going to be a recognized "head" the only difference is he won't be called "Pope" and a non-Catholic Christian "super boss" will not have the 2000 tradition to partake of.

Upvote 0

NewMan99

New CF: More Political, Less Charity, No Unity
Mar 20, 2005
Earth
✟18,235.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

raffster

Unabashed Truth
Sep 29, 2004
Somewhere
✟8,277.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
genez said:
But? With call no one on earth, "Father?' Because we have only one Father in Heaven? Jesus was telling us to start thinking Divine Viewpoint. Not the world's. Let the world call men by that title. For us? We are to do as Jesus commanded! Why refuse? Why defy it?

Says something loud and clear. I would take it as a warning signal. That is, if I read my Bible and saw what it said.

In Christ, GeneZ

Hello GeneZ,

It seems to me that the definition you associate with the Catholic's definition of "Father" and reason why we call priests "Father" has more weight than the Catholic's definition and reason ourselves. Like I said in my response to the OP, this whole Father/father discussion has its own underlying context that you seem to have a difficult time to accept. The day that Catholic priests ask to be worshipped and glorified is the day that this "problem" you see with the Catholic Church should be addressed and resolved. Until then it is a matter of humility, and it always has. I couldn't imagine calling the Catholic priests I've come to know as anything less than Father. But in so doing I know deep in my heart that they are not, and WILL NEVER be GOD.

God bless.
--Raffster

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
graysparrow said:
btw, if anybody cares at this point, which I doubt. Father is not a title for a priest, it's just an usual way of calling them. In Italy, for example, a simple 'Don' (Mr) is used.

Indeed. Their actual title is Rev. - or Rev. Dr. if they have the necessary degree.

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Iollain said:
That one is a wee bit more complex than this one, this one is simple.
woah here

only in your eyes

Mat 23:8 But be not you called Rabbi. For one is your master: and all you are brethren.
Mat 23:9 And call none your father upon earth; for one is your father, who is in heaven.
Mat 23:10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your master, Christ.
Mat 23:11 He that is the greatest among you shall be your servant.
Mat 23:12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be humbled: and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

Now it would seem to me that if we are to take these literally then guess what ladies and gents ....

the wording is call NO ONE on earth father and that would include your own father ....

Yet Jesus tells us to honor our fathers and mothers

So therefore this would be a contradiction in terms right here....

His point was actually made not in vs 9 to literal but in vs 12 where he was speaking of humility and of being a servant to the people which the pharisees and scribes were not being ....

No matter how much someone wants to bring out one verse out of context it will not change what Christ was actually saying here

Reactions: FullyMT
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
images.jpeg

Upvote 0

Iollain

Jer 18:2-6
May 18, 2004
Atlantic Coast
✟8,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Mat 23:7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.

Mat 23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, [even] Christ; and all ye are brethren.

Mat 23:9 And call no [man] your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Mat 23:10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, [even] Christ.

The people being called Rabbi didn't hear Jesus then, and i don't think they hear Him now, they still call people Rabbi.

Looks like to me the commandment, that Jesus gave, that is in the Written Word, says we are not to call people master, or rabbi, or father.

So i presume that means, though i would think of my pastor as a father in the faith, i'm not to CALL him by the name of father. So i won't.

And Jesus did not say this is a suggestion, and He did not say to get a council together to see what we want to do, He said 'call no man your father upon the earth:for one is your Father. This looks to me like a commandment. And God does not change, so if we are doing something that we shouldn't be, like calling anyone 'Holy Father, or Father',.......it is us who has to change.

Thank you Father for your written word so we know how to please You.

Upvote 0

raffster

Unabashed Truth
Sep 29, 2004
Somewhere
✟8,277.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Iollain said:

Mat 23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, [even] Christ; and all ye are brethren.

Mat 23:9 And call no [man] your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

The people being called Rabbi didn't hear Jesus then, and i don't think they hear Him now, they still call people Rabbi.

Looks like to me the commandment, that Jesus gave, that is in the Written Word, says we are not to call people master, or rabbi, or father.

So i presume that means, though i would think of my pastor as a father in the faith, i'm not to CALL him by the name of father. So i won't.

And Jesus did not say this is a suggestion, and He did not say to get a council together to see what we want to do, He said 'call no man your father upon the earth:for one is your Father. This looks to me like a commandment. And God does not change, so if we are doing something that we shouldn't be, like calling anyone 'Holy Father, or Father',.......it is us who has to change.

So this verse:

Mark 10:18: "Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except one-God."

Jesus is questioning the man WHY he is calling him good. Does this mean that Jesus is not God, or even good? It almost sounds like Jesus was upset that he was being called "good". While it doesn't sounds like a commandment, it doesn't sound like a suggestion either. If I took the Bible as literally as some people here do, Mark 10:18 is a CLEAR indicator that Jesus isn't God, even good.

Upvote 0

Iollain

Jer 18:2-6
May 18, 2004
Atlantic Coast
✟8,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
raffster said:
So this verse:

Mark 10:18: "Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except one-God."

Jesus is questioning the man WHY he is calling him good. Does this mean that Jesus is not God, or even good? It almost sounds like Jesus was upset that he was being called "good". While it doesn't sounds like a commandment, it doesn't sound like a suggestion either. If I took the Bible as literally as some people here do, Mark 10:18 is a CLEAR indicator that Jesus isn't God, even good.

It's clear to me that Jesus is God and He is Good with a capital G.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

linssue55

Senior Veteran
Jul 31, 2005
Tucson Az
✟11,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Iollain said:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.